Sandy today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Sandy today

plugger66 wrote: Does a godson count as family if he eventually makes AFL?
only if he plays for the saints otherwise better keeep it quiet

I appreciate all reports - thanks

Seeya
gringo
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:

Does a god father offer moral guidance? Holy moley. Seriously sit back and watch the ride and you might not be so quick to write off kids in the system who don't get the break handed to them. I have known guys that could have made it and guys that didn't make it. It's not all black and white why a player does and doesn't make it. Just because you don't make it it isn't always a lack of talent or application. Hope he doesn't have to try to make it outside the draft or you will have to tell him he's no good.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

Does a god father offer moral guidance? Holy moley. Seriously sit back and watch the ride and you might not be so quick to write off kids in the system who don't get the break handed to them. I have known guys that could have made it and guys that didn't make it. It's not all black and white why a player does and doesn't make it. Just because you don't make it it isn't always a lack of talent or application. Hope he doesn't have to try to make it outside the draft or you will have to tell him he's no good.

I really wish you would read what i write not what you think i write and when challenged to show something you go back in your hole. Please dont continue to lie. It is poor form and a weak pathetic way of discussing things. You need to get that mirror out and have a good look at it.

Scoop
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Thought Simpkin was average, clumsy and sloppy by foot... Easy day for a defender, wet and windy... No fwd could dominate

Kosi was excellent, basically was captain coach of the fwd line and worked hard on the ball after shep went down. Slow, but contested well.

Schnieder was so far above VFL level it was ridiculous.

Seb, Ledger were solid inside mids.... Conditions suited....

Shenton played a really solid game, Lever was pretty good, as was Staley...

Minchington was an effective small crumber, as was Curran who may have kicked a couple....

Webster was very impressive as he took the game on and sliced port up off HB a few times....

Saunders wins the footy, but was sloppy with the ball... But he showed something...

White... Interesting
Is very quick, and can jump, has good hands and looks likely.... Also he is a bit lazy, down on work rate and not hard enough.... Yet. He has areas to improve..... But has some excellent attributes.

Would have considered Dunnell to be about the best saints player, hard to tell... So many rotations, and I don't think the coaches or players were fully aware of what was going on at all times....

Cockie and Marigliani were excellent and #54 and #24 .... Conditions were perfect for inside mids

Game Plan was very poor
Tend to agree with just about everything BM has said.

I Think White is going to be a beauty, once he gets an AFL body. He certainly has an X factor about him....which could also lead to some frustration at times.

Similarly, I believe Webster has got what it takes to be a very good player for us. As BM stated, he takes on the opposition, has a sidestep and uses the ball very well. Just needs to add a bit more weight and strength.

I was also impressed with Minchington with his ball-getting and his use.

Lever, Staley, Shenton, Dunell, Curren and Ross were all useful to good, with Dunell the best of them. Ross got better as the game went on....can use it pretty well. Not sure that Curren is going to make it....pace and skills a concern.

Ledger gets a bit of it but disposal and skills are a concern....still tends to bang it on the boot and hoping for the best. Not sure that he is going to make it either.

As BM stated, Kosi was a bit of a General out there. Also at the breaks he was very good at imparting his knowledge and providing adsvice to the other forwards....very much coach-like! But I do agree that, barring injuries to others, he will be spending a fair bit of time at Sandy this year.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:
As BM stated, Kosi was a bit of a General out there. Also at the breaks he was very good at imparting his knowledge and providing adsvice to the other forwards....very much coach-like! But I do agree that, barring injuries to others, he will be spending a fair bit of time at Sandy this year.
And you know what something tells me Kosi will do it gladly. He is an old country boy and knows the value of loyalty and giving back. Love Kosi. Clubs need quality people like Kosi.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

4 smalls
3 talls

7 fwds

One will push very high most of the time.... Could be Rooey, Beau, Scnieds, Milera even Milney

Unlikely to be Hickey, Saad...

The other rotated through the bench....

The plus one defender has the easiest job on the field, albeit probably most important..... The extra fwd has the toughest job... Plays high. And is the most important defensiive fwd....

Then they have the flexibility of a 2/4.... 3/3..... 3/2.... 2/3 in a five or six man set up

Scoop
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Scoop wrote:
And you know what something tells me Kosi will do it gladly. He is an old country boy and knows the value of loyalty and giving back. Love Kosi. Clubs need quality people like Kosi.
Exactly Cairnsman....love the bloke.

Now I feel like joining in that man hug you were offering before..... :?

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Probably sounded harsh on Simpkin...

Obviously it was first game in a month...... So rust was inevitable

He did hold Galea, a good VFL fwd... But size wise, he is a good match up for Dan Galea and really, if he's to be an AFL key back.... One would expect him to beat Galea comfortably ....

Simpkin really is just not big enough to be a key defender on a #1/#2 fwd

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Probably sounded harsh on Simpkin...

Obviously it was first game in a month...... So rust was inevitable

He did hold Galea, a good VFL fwd... But size wise, he is a good match up for Dan Galea and really, if he's to be an AFL key back.... One would expect him to beat Galea comfortably ....

Simpkin really is just not big enough to be a key defender on a #1/#2 fwd

Very true but with Stanley out the choices are Fisher who we obviously dont want to use there, Blake or Gwilt who may have a bigger body than Tom but is less athletic and smaller in height. None of those are great options. Im sure Simpkin would have played if he had played 2 senior games but he will only have today and next week at Sandy to prepare.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Barring injury, Scott keeps saying Stanley is in the defensive six.

Someone has to play for him and Dempster though you'd think Rd 1 to maybe 2...

Roberton, Newnes, Blake fight it out?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Barring injury, Scott keeps saying Stanley is in the defensive six.

Someone has to play for him and Dempster though you'd think Rd 1 to maybe 2...

Roberton, Newnes, Blake fight it out?

Newnes and probably Roberton look locks for round one. Blake needs Dempster and Simpkin to miss.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Back six

Stanley ........ Seem in?
Gwilt ......... Lock
Fisher ....... Lock
Geary ........ Lock

Ray/Siposs/Newnes would be the other HB in my mind??

Simpkin, Blake, Roberton, Wright just miss

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Forgot Dempster.... Obviously a lock

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Back six

Stanley ........ Seem in?
Gwilt ......... Lock
Fisher ....... Lock
Geary ........ Lock

Ray/Siposs/Newnes would be the other HB in my mind??

Simpkin, Blake, Roberton, Wright just miss

Stanley is injured. Im talking round one. I see it as
Gwilt Simpkin or Blake Geary
Roberton Fisher Siposs or Newnes or Ray

Dempster out round one as well.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

According to Scott, barring injury

Fisher
Geary
Dempster
Gwilt
Stanley

6th spot between Roberton/Siposs/Newnes/Ray/Blake/Simpkin?

Given Dempster is injured, I'd go with someone who can play on smalls....Geary to Hall, Newnes on Matera or something?

If Rhys doesn't come up, Simpkin or Blake get back in.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Would have to look at their fwd structure...

What I think, is they have a few extremely big fwds

Lynch 199, Dixon 200

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Would have to look at their fwd structure...

Lynch 199, Dixon 200

If height is a problem then we have no answer round one. By that I dont mean we cant win but we havent got a tall back. Lynch is injured so he may not play anyway.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Would have to look at their fwd structure...

Lynch 199, Dixon 200
Playing two rucks as well Gorringe and Smith...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Blake has a lot of experience playing against monsters, has a hardened body, and has played all pre season.... He'd be my bet.

However, I heard he was injured today...

Heard Dempster will come up, Stanley likely to be fit.... But may be given a further week anyway or play VFL

Gwilt.... Fisher.... Geary

Roberton..... Gilbert..... Ray

Bardon Saint
Club Player

I liked Ray's game today and think that he will make the 22. Did Ferguson play today? Not great reports on Curran so I'm just wondering who may take the Rookie/LTI spot (if used at all). Curran seems a likely replacement for Jones but after watching Jones today, nothing has changed re disposal. Geez he wins a lot of ball but often butchers it. I felt that malthouse didn't mind if Jones or Gilbert won the ball as he knew that a turnover would result much of the time. Sorry, now ranting at lost GFs.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bardon Saint wrote: Did Ferguson play today?
Injured, just had a op on his knee...not sure how long he's out for

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

6 weeks.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

What are you on about? Plugger is always defending the players. Chastised me once for labelling Nicholas Winmar soft. (which I still maintain he was)

To even play VFL firsts is a fair effort PLugger, so he must have some talent

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
gringo wrote:
sunsaint wrote: only if he plays for the saints otherwise better keeep it quiet

What are you on about? Plugger is always defending the players. Chastised me once for labelling Nicholas Winmar soft. (which I still maintain he was)

To even play VFL firsts is a fair effort PLugger, so he must have some talent

He was actually in the seconds today but it is only his third game out of the under 18's. Won Sandy dragons B&F last year. He is at my house at the moment. Giving him a few tips but luckily for him he isnt listening. That will only help his game.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

6 weeks.
That's farked. I have high hopes. Perhaps because he's the only tall defender that we're grooming. He's probably not even going to be a kpp. Hmm, I hope for more Mitch Brown or Frawley action at the end of this year because Fisher and Blake are not getting any younger.