Goddard hits back at Westaway

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard hits back at Westaway

I'm sure Fraser Gehrig, Greg Williams, Tony Lockett are embraced by StK, Carl, Sydney....

Goddard was a great Get by Essendon as Luke Ball was for Collingwood

If we snared a big name, how would the reaction be?

Goddard was a great player at StK.... Not as great as Riewoldt, Hayes, or quite as Fisher, Dal Santo ..... But given another 5 years in a saints jumper.... His standing would have been huge, probably already is??

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Forget the $$$$ amount. I would question giving Goddard a 4 year deal because of concerns that his body won't last that long in the game. He's had a knee reco. He's had a pretty serious hip problem. He's been in the game for 10 years. Will he see out the full 4 years !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I'm sure Fraser Gehrig, Greg Williams, Tony Lockett are embraced by StK, Carl, Sydney....

Goddard was a great Get by Essendon as Luke Ball was for Collingwood

If we snared a big name, how would the reaction be?

Goddard was a great player at StK.... Not as great as Riewoldt, Hayes, or quite as Fisher, Dal Santo ..... But given another 5 years in a saints jumper.... His standing would have been huge, probably already is??

No doubting that 2009 and 2010 were standout years for Goddard but in 2011 he wasn't in the top 100 and in 2012 he was probably just in the top 50.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What body concerns does be have?

Lenny had a reco at 26 and 30, he's still going?

Goddard will play until 34 IMO and his game style should easily allow that...

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

SainterK wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:Perhaps when his career is over he will see things from a different perspective.

In 5, 10, 20, 50 or whatever years time when Lenny Hayes walks into any StKilda function he will be revered and respected and treated as the legend he is.

Whereas Goddard will never be treated that way at either club.

He probably won't get invited to our functions and if he did his reception would be luke warm at best.
And at Essendon he will always be viewed as an ex-StKilda player and never fully embraced.

He has basically traded lifelong respect ticket for money.
I'd hope the club is not so immature.
In a classic piece of fence-sitting... I reckon that you are both right.

(I should have been a Libran... for the Astrologically-inclined on here. :wink: )

K, as you know so well, BJ has been one of our club's champions. So I hope that he is always made to feel welcome to walk through the doors of our club.

However, I take Enrico's point to be that there is nothing like being a one-club club champion.

IMHO top line footballers like BJ should be well set-up financially after ten years in the system.

When one is on $500/600+ p.a., would a few hundred thousand dollars here or there really be that significant??? (Oh, and that's gross, and then you pay tax.)

A fourth year on the contract? If you're good enough, you'll get it no problem... or is BJ a tad unsure about a hip???

What I'm saying (and I believe Enrico is also saying) is that... especially when one should already be financially very comfortable, what is it worth to spend the rest of your life as a revered one-club champion of the game...?

I cant speak for BJ, or anyone else who has been/will be in his situation... but I reckon I know Lenny's answer...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How's Plugger viewed??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How's Plugger viewed??
Not very well on this forum. Keeps posting to antogonise others on here.

I agree with your post previously. Goddard was a very good player for us, up in the best 6 almost throughout his career and is a good get for Essendope.

However the Saints were badly stung by the silly Hammill deal for 5 years. Would have been irresponsible to give goddard four.

He went for the money, but why not? Did his best at the Saints but not good enough to win a flag. Get set up for life and possibly have a fling with a young Essendon team.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
felix
Club Player

[quote="Dave McNamara"}

When one is on $500/600+ p.a., would a few hundred thousand dollars here or there really be that significant??? (Oh, and that's gross, and then you pay tax.)

Yes a few hundred thousand is very significant to probably everyone on this planet .

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

It was a snide comment about Scott from a snide little boy as he searched amongst his fellow panellists for affirmation, but you can hear the gasp from someone sitting near him which meant it wasn't that well recieved.

He's gone to the right club, arrogance personified and he'll fit in well with their supporters.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What body concerns does be have?

Lenny had a reco at 26 and 30, he's still going?

Goddard will play until 34 IMO and his game style should easily allow that...
As I stated, hip & knee. How many players come back as good or better after a knee reco? The problems with his hip, including the surgery a few years ago have been well documented. You might even want to add shoulder to that list too after the 2010 GF. I wouldn't be brave enough to compare ANYONE with Lenny. I have ZERO medical expertise. I was just saying that Goddard has had some pretty major injuries over the journey. Not many survive at this level for 14 years and that might be why St Kilda only offered him 3 years !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Fletcher and Harvey survived 21

Most guns play 12-15 years I rate BJ in that category..... Even a broken, injured Kosi has lasted 13years

Hamill was basically a wrecking ball although he played 10years of AFLbBut really it was his decision to try to smash Stevie J that ended his career

If he didn't do that, his contract may have not been so bad.... But I reckon BJ and Hamill are very different players
On talent and game style

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

So Watters is a dwarf. It's genetic. Well, BJ, you've come from the Shallow End of the Gene pool, you loser.
Now you're a Bomber, how's you're abs, or is that a sticking point lol

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote:So Watters is a dwarf. It's genetic. Well, BJ, you've come from the Shallow End of the Gene pool, you loser.
Now you're a Bomber, how's you're abs, or is that a sticking point lol

You can take the boy out of Traralgon but you can't take the Caulfield Grammar out of his stupid comments-snigger snigger.
BJ let's see you when out onto a ground so short of Essendon teammates, your dad and your brother will get a game with the Dons.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I used to love BJ but I hate his guts now that he left our club. What a disgusting thing to do.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I used to love BJ but I hate his guts now that he left our club. What a disgusting thing to do.

At least we are on the same page for once...about time you saw reason.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I used to love BJ but I hate his guts now that he left our club. What a disgusting thing to do.

It makes sense. I also hate everyone who left places I worked at for more money.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

It makes sense. I also hate everyone who left places I worked at for more money.

I hate them for you. If you stay too long at an ordinary job people assume you are dead wood. Footy isn't the real world.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I hate them for you. If you stay too long at an ordinary job people assume you are dead wood. Footy isn't the real world.

I know. They have to look after themselves even more.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Oh come on if the invest smartly a guy like BJ is set up for life already. Half of them are gambling addicts because they can't think of anything to spend time and money on. Poor bastards are molly coddled and have no life skills because they are little prima donna bitches who have it all done for them and then get upset when they play s*** and still want more.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Oh come on if the invest smartly a guy like BJ is set up for life already. Half of them are gambling addicts because they can't think of anything to spend time and money on. Poor bastards are molly coddled and have no life skills because they are little prima donna bitches who have it all done for them and then get upset when they play s*** and still want more.

Half are gambling addicts. Interesting. i would say about the same as the rest of the population which is about 5%. And fancy wanting more money. You would never see a rich person wanting to get richer. Never happens. And prima donna bitches. When was the last time you had a decent conversation with an AFL footballer because i have had a few and dont know any prima donna bitches but then i dont know any person like that. And fancy getting upset when they play bad. They should laugh it off. Now that will please supporters.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Half are gambling addicts. Interesting. i would say about the same as the rest of the population which is about 5%. And fancy wanting more money. You would never see a rich person wanting to get richer. Never happens. And prima donna bitches. When was the last time you had a decent conversation with an AFL footballer because i have had a few and dont know any prima donna bitches but then i dont know any person like that. And fancy getting upset when they play bad. They should laugh it off. Now that will please supporters.
Gee you sound connected

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Enrico_Misso wrote:Perhaps when his career is over he will see things from a different perspective.

In 5, 10, 20, 50 or whatever years time when Lenny Hayes walks into any StKilda function he will be revered and respected and treated as the legend he is.

He probably won't get invited to our functions and if he did his reception would be luke warm at best.
And at Essendon he will always be viewed as an ex-StKilda player and never fully embraced.

Has that happened to Lockett :?:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:

Has that happened to Lockett :?:

No because most people forgive.

osama milne laden
Club Player

>>>" I just thought I made the best decision personally for myself."

If we're going to pay players $750k in their fourth year at age 31, I'd thought the least we could do is expect them to speak without being reduced to tautology...

'What do we eat? -Mussles
How do we eat 'em? - Alive'
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

osama milne laden wrote:>>>" I just thought I made the best decision personally for myself."

If we're going to pay players $750k in their fourth year at age 31, I'd thought the least we could do is expect them to speak without being reduced to tautology...
Standards are slipping.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"