Who is the Saint's barometer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Watts the Buzz
Club Player

Who is the Saint's barometer?

Just saw this clip on the AFL site with Garry Lyon nominating each team's barometer, meaning when he plays well, the team generally wins.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-18/l ... meter-lyon

He nominated Milney for the Saints and you can't dispute that when Milney plays well, and that's most of the time, we normally go pretty close to winning but I've always thought the key is Dal; he sets up so many of our plays with his elite disposal and when he's down, and he was tagged out in a few games last year, we struggle.....any thoughts?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who is the Saint's barometer?

If Roo is best on the ground i reckon we win.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Lenny for mine, he just lifts the others around him up. When he motors it's like they go with him. Milney builds the team up too though so a pretty fair nomination. Goddard could do it too.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Lenny and roo aren't front runners tho. They are usually in our best win lose or draw. I reckon a barometer has to be more of a front runner type player. For us it might be one of the younger guys in a key role who if they're up and about we are bound to be on the front foot.

#1 Ryder fan
paddy
Club Player

i reckon its more the middle teir players that dicate how we play...

so my vote is jack steven.... although i do agree that milney is a fair indicator of our success...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Midfielders can be matchwinners.... But not necessarily a barometer for win/loss because there are generally 12 mids in a game, most play well and get loads of the footy.... Some one has to get a kick?! Hard to know who their opponent was, how much they directly were involved in scoring or defending... Harder to measure

Fwds if not held can be clear matchwinners because they clearly beat someone and have direct effect on a scoreboard.... And defenders visa versa.....

Generally it's a player who plays well and we win player.... Two of our best 3 players over the last decade have played great games in games where we have been well beate, because they are just guns....Fisher and Hayes

I think if either Milney or Nick are on song we were odds on to win....

I would suggest Dal and Joey are very Influential players on the result.... And when stopped go a long way to the result...

Another barometer of recent years has been Gram.... He hurt opposition at his best

And the unheralded Kosi.... When he was ON we were too difficult to stop... Because that generally meant 3 dangerous fwds

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

When Milney boots 4 we rarely loose. If he boots 5 we never loose. We need more Milneys!

Saint supporter since '62
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Trent
Dennis
Lane

stinger
Saintsational Legend

geez...reading the posts in this thread...we have a very good team.... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

09-10 it was Schneider. When he played well and created scoring opportunities through creative ball use, we were unbeatable.

I hope that 2013 he returns to that pivotal role. I hope Milera learns that high forward link up role.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Beekay
SS Life Member

Milne & Schnids.

A Dal Santo or Riewoldt blinder would 9 times out of 10 be a win, but both regularly play top class in losing games.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steven I like that! Good get. He'd have to be a good barometer

#1 Ryder fan
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

DAVID ARMO! real engine room stuff

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Harves Man
Club Player

Watts the Buzz wrote:Just saw this clip on the AFL site with Garry Lyon nominating each team's barometer, meaning when he plays well, the team generally wins.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-18/l ... meter-lyon

He nominated Milney for the Saints and you can't dispute that when Milney plays well, and that's most of the time, we normally go pretty close to winning but I've always thought the key is Dal; he sets up so many of our plays with his elite disposal and when he's down, and he was tagged out in a few games last year, we struggle.....any thoughts?

This is a really well thought out post, IMHO and I agree 100%. Who was the only player given a hard tag by our former coach in that game last year? Although Dal would be my number 1 nomination for barometer, special mentions would go to Joey and the Schniederman.