Ross Lyon and St Kilda Football Club - Great Work

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Love Thommo, but has been ordinary all year.

In hindsight he probably shoulf have retired last year.

Symptomatic of our pedestrian paced midfield, hard at it, gives 100% even when he is getting beaten, will always play his hardest, but is one paced, and his disposal has always been ordinary at best.

I applaude Ross Lyon. We still have a faint chance at finals. If Collingwood win we play the best team in the coaches opinion. That opinion is that Thommo is not in the mix because of team balance.

If Adelaide win he will probably play.

What is the big deal? We heard all last week that the Saints are there to win football matches and not go to court 9Baker corrupt incident) but then when we have a chance to make the eight, some want us to choose a team on sentiment :roll: :roll:

Wake up FGS. Thommo has had ten years as a senior player, most players average three, most football players never get the chance of 1 year.

He has had a good innings, if he misses out on a game and we make the finals, Lyon is vindicated. If we cant make the finals and thommo gets a go, Ross is vindicated.

Stop your bellyaching and stop accepting mediocrity.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Teflon wrote:Mehe babbleheaps and Danwannabeafootballanalyst you have no clue whatsoever and make stuff up - seriously go back and read what your saying.

CJ and Thompson are about par right now - both ordinary kicks and turn it over, both hard at the footy (Thommo shade ahead here) 1 IS VERY QUCIK (despite Babblelots telling us ..."I have seen no evidence of this...."bla blah blah....I suggest you WATCH babble...) and 1 is treacle slow.

We are playing Tiges - they have some very handy and quick players especially Deledio and Foley who both have some serious speed and there are others also.

IF Adelaide win - Thommo plays, band plays, streamers come down on a super career.

IF Collingwood wins - best available team plays finals, Thommo aint in it..and in these games some younger players get a taste for the pressure of September.

Sensible approach by Lyon and Co here for mine........some amazing hystrionuics on this thread......give yourself an uppercut!
You really can mock people quite unpleasantly :roll:
When I see Teffers making one of these sorts of posts, I comfort myself with the knowledge that - if Thommo had actually been selected and I had criticised Lyon for this on the grounds that CJ's superior speed was needed against the Tiges - I would have gotten a similar blast from him for not comprehending the Dear Leader's master plan involving Thommo.

You would have made a great apparatchik in the Soviet Union, Teffers.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Just a question what is the weather conditions predicted for tomorrow? I would presume if it is wet enough then Thommo may come in for someone who isn't going to get his shorts dirty.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote: But it's a weird judgement, however you look at it.

CJ's only apparent strength is that he is a good tackler. But then, that is also one of Thommo's greatest strengths, along with his ability to win and deliver the ball from in and under (something Jones can't do) and his good positional sense (something Jones doesn't have).

Thommo's delivery by foot is a bit suspect: but then, when it comes to CJ, we don't just suspect that his delivery by foot is bad, we are 100% certain about the fact.

I just can't see that CJ gives better value than Thommo in any sense, or under any sort of game plan I can imagine.

They haven't even got the excuse that CJ is a young up-and-comer. He's older than Gram, Luke, Goose, Leigh Fisher and even Dal Santo FFS!!

It's a dud decision: leaving aside any question of it being disrespectful to Thommo (and, personally, I would tend towards the idea of picking your best available team and disregarding sentiment, except that my best available team includes Thommo and omits CJ).
I've got to admit, I'm dubious of the number of people saying that their selection of Thommo over CJ in their 22 bars sentiment. CJ's put me way off side in his last couple of games, and I'm surprised at his selection this week, but sentiment aside, there's a fair bit of difference in what they'd provide.

Thommo could go in & under. Don't think Jones could (we haven't really seen him in that role)... anyone who has the patience to read my wordy posts will know I'm a huge fan of clearance players. However, conversely, Jones adds a lot more speed than Thommo does, and can play wing, HFF, which Thommo probably can't.

Thommo has questionable disposal, but CJ at this point rates IMO a liability, but surely can be expected to do better than his last 2 games, and against Richmond, maybe useful to run with an outside player... after 5 games, it's not a fair amount of time to make a judgement, but for a 23 y/o rookie lister, that's exactly what we have to do.

Sentiment aside, it's not a no brainer, and that cuts both ways.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Shaggy
Club Player

Thommo’s form at Casey is much better than either Birss or CJ.

Arguably Birss has played better for the Saints this year than Thommo but not CJ.

Predictably RL has us matching up with the opposition again … they go small in the rucks so we do also … they are inexperienced with pace and suddenly we have Ferg, Gwilt and CJ all in the side one match before the finals. Its unbelievable.

The way to beat sides is to be different … not the same.

An experienced quality player like Thommo would cream the Tigers … CJ will give the pups a sniff.

Forget sentiment … Thommo should be in the side on form. Its hard to tell whether RL is deliberating tanking this year based on team selections.

carn_sainter
Club Player

CJ will give chase down pressure whereas Thommo will give pressure around the footy

nobody has better 1%ers or interceptions than thommo...

neither plays much game time...neither has good disposal (Thommo is better, however)

i think thommo is better

CJ's disposal is really bad whereas thommo is only slightly bad

CJ looks lost whereas Thommo is experienced and knows what he is doing

things to consider are fitness, about which i am not sure

i think thommo's a better pick but understand wanting CJ's speed as a chase down presence in our F50...

not having thommo may cost us around the clearance, but all he can do is play around a stoppage really...he doesn't have the skill to play back, the pace to play forward...and he's not gonne be fit enough - as a guess - to play meaningful game time

at the end of the day, not having a farewell in no way makes his contribution to the club worse...he's a champ, the archetype for a club player

but it's a close call and if we were playing sydney, maybe thommo would be in...

either way, its not gonna cost us the game...on which, i find this to be absolutely absurd:
saintsRrising wrote:So tell me all those baking Ross for picking what he believes is our best team...

If the Pies win, but we LOST BUt Thommo had his last game would you be happy???

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I think the point that's being missed but a lot of posters is that Andrew Thompson is actually a better player than Clinton Jones, right here, right now.

Which is why he should be picked. NOT because it could be his last game.

FWIW, 50/50 it will be Jones's last game as well. If he shows nothing, again, there's no point on keeping him when his spot would be better served going to a hungrier, younger player with a bigger amount of improvement left in him.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I think the point that's being missed but a lot of posters is that Andrew Thompson is actually a better player than Clinton Jones, right here, right now.

Which is why he should be picked. NOT because it could be his last game.

FWIW, 50/50 it will be Jones's last game as well. If he shows nothing, again, there's no point on keeping him when his spot would be better served going to a hungrier, younger player with a bigger amount of improvement left in him.
thats what I've been saying.

when Thommo is selected he plays of the bench or as a tagger.

when CJ plays, god know what he does besides run to where the ball isn't or wont be going, drops marks and kicks out on the full or the to the opposition.

as for birss, is ok, but frankly say voss outrun him to the ball and we are constantly told voss is too slow for the 'modern game' :roll:

i want to see young kids come through, but when guys like mcqualter, watts and brooks are getting rave revues in the local rag and not getting a game, and birss and CJ are running around muffing the ball its a worry.

birss is ok, I dont see him as much more than callagahan or mcgough in quality, ok support crew.

CJ...needs work, obviously they see something in him, fair enough, let him develop in the scorps.

play Thommo because he offers more to the senior side.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Total Awareness
Club Player

They seem to have Jones rated pretty high from what i've heard RL and a few others say. I agree, I'd take Thommo anyday

Beekay
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:
Teflon wrote:Mehe babbleheaps and Danwannabeafootballanalyst you have no clue whatsoever and make stuff up - seriously go back and read what your saying.

CJ and Thompson are about par right now - both ordinary kicks and turn it over, both hard at the footy (Thommo shade ahead here) 1 IS VERY QUCIK (despite Babblelots telling us ..."I have seen no evidence of this...."bla blah blah....I suggest you WATCH babble...) and 1 is treacle slow.

We are playing Tiges - they have some very handy and quick players especially Deledio and Foley who both have some serious speed and there are others also.

IF Adelaide win - Thommo plays, band plays, streamers come down on a super career.

IF Collingwood wins - best available team plays finals, Thommo aint in it..and in these games some younger players get a taste for the pressure of September.

Sensible approach by Lyon and Co here for mine........some amazing hystrionuics on this thread......give yourself an uppercut!
It was called for though.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
saint66au wrote:

It was called for though.
Really? And, given the boring and totally unmemorable drivel that you usually post on here, what on earth makes you think you have the right to comment?

If you think what Teffers writes is so great, explain to me how someone can attack other posters for "making stuff up" and then in the next sentence describe CJ as "hard at the footy" (when exactly? In diving to get a ball out of the basket before practice?)

A word of advice, stay out of other people's arguments or expect to get flamed. You were never on my radar before, but you sure as hell are now. :evil:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

IMO, and it appears others aswell, disregarding all sentiment, Thommo and Voss should be picked ahead of CJ, Gwilt, Birss and Ferguson on form alone

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well thommo will get his farewell game now.......as the Pies have lost

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Winmarvellous
Club Player

We hope...

givethommoago

Spoke to Thommo today and he was hopeful of getting a game depending on how others pulled up. There was no mention of the Collywobbles/Crows result impacting his possible selection and no suggestion of any injury concerns.

Agree he should be picked ahead of a few others on merit and for many other right reasons.....loyalty, bravery, commitment...............

Have flown down from Brissy to hopefully share his moment - amazing to think true believers wouldn't be there to farewell him.

Can't believe I was barracking for McGuire's b*@$&@ds tonite. Made even worse as a mates NRL team (South Sydney) snuck in to their first finals campaign since 1989!

:D
Proud sponsor of Andrew Thompson in 2007 through StKfc

givethommoago

Spoke to Thommo today and he was hopeful of getting a game depending on how others pulled up. There was no mention of the Collywobbles/Crows result impacting his possible selection and no suggestion of any injury concerns.

Agree he should be picked ahead of a few others on merit and for many other right reasons.....loyalty, bravery, commitment...............

Have flown down from Brissy to hopefully share his moment - amazing to think true believers wouldn't be there to farewell him.

Can't believe I was barracking for McGuire's b*@$&@ds tonite. Made even worse as a mates NRL team (South Sydney) snuck in to their first finals campaign since 1989!

:D
Proud sponsor of Andrew Thompson in 2007 through StKfc

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

X was very proppy at training on Tuesday.

Don't be surprised to see Thommo in for X.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well it was good for Thommo to have a farewell game...BUT just as well it was not a LIVE game as Thommo only had 6 possessions....maybe RL is not the dill that some painted

....I think he was not fully fit though.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 01 Sep 2007 7:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Thommo was interviewed on Triple M after the game & said that Ross wouldn't have played him had we still been in the finals race. He said he was very grateful to Ross for giving him a chance to play one more game.

In hindsight Ross' selection was pretty spot on.

nicko016
Club Player

It was great that Thomo got a farewell game but the initial decison was the correct one. He clearly wasn't fully fit and had there been a finals spot on the line we couldn't afford to have him out there if he's only going to play 30 or 40%.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

Re:Original Registration "GoSaintersGo"

Go Sainters Go wrote:I would not be at all surprised if Thommo plays on Saturday, that's why he is named as an emergency. X Clarke, whilst named, must be doubtful.
Found whilst wandering through old posts my original rego of GoSaintersGo - 11.26 am 29.4.2005 and at the time the old Saintsational crashed and before re registering, I had the princely sum of 444 posts which should be added to the GSG bank of posts. The rego date should also be changed.

Saints43
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon and St Kilda Football Club - Great Work

Update: He played Thommo.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Maybe with a bit of photoshop magic the bummers could use this graphic?

slider
Club Player

Re: Re:Original Registration "GoSaintersGo"

GoSaintersGo wrote:
Go Sainters Go wrote:I would not be at all surprised if Thommo plays on Saturday, that's why he is named as an emergency. X Clarke, whilst named, must be doubtful.
Found whilst wandering through old posts my original rego of GoSaintersGo - 11.26 am 29.4.2005 and at the time the old Saintsational crashed and before re registering, I had the princely sum of 444 posts which should be added to the GSG bank of posts. The rego date should also be changed.

Why would you care how many posts you had or when your join date was? back it in that no one else does.

Saints43
Club Player

markp wrote: Maybe with a bit of photoshop magic the bummers could use this graphic?
I loved that blurry guy,,,,