Wow?!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wow?!

Jones?!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
SainterK wrote:Chop chop

Selection table this week

In fisher demps Schneider kosi joey, kids need more structure

Name the outs
Jones Blake hickey tdl milera

70s sainter
Club Player

I guess our team without goddard , gram, fisher, joey, and dempster is never going to be good enough against any side because we dont have genuine depth either skills wise or experience wise to replace them. We are very average at the moment .

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Dal had one centre clearance, Steven and Lenny had none. Armo was really the only inside mid who put up a solid performance and even he tailed in the second half. We turned over the ball way too much and gave away some really dumb frees. Ray turned over the ball on about a third of his touches. I personally thought the back six held up well considering and the forwards were at least getting some chances. The midfield was woeful.

From a coaching perspective, I can't understand our commitment to taking such a tall team in. Surely we would have expected slippery conditions leading to difficulty marking the ball. Our smalls are much better than our talls. At this point I would be playing Roo and Maister as our talls with the rest smalls. Particularly at a point where we have two potential ruck options in defence should we lose Ben to injury. I also can't understand our obsessive commitment to switching the ball when nothing is there. It wasn't there all night. Conditions didn't favour that style of play anyway. We should have been much more direct in what was essentially a wet whether game.

That's as frustrating a loss as I can remember. We basically lost to a handful of quality kids and GC's cap concessions. It never should have happened and everybody involved should be horribly embarrassed.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
kalsaint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Lets see how many teams get beaten by GC this year?!

We are -1 after most teams after r1 and really, we needed every soft win we can get.... And believe me... GC will win 4/5 games in 2013....

I predicted we would win by 24 points

I saw some signs tonight that were a sign the end was here.
I thought with the players missing that a 24 point win would be a fitting result. However, after watching the Gold Coast tonight fumble as much as the Saints but still run harder when it counrts means that we are going to do it tough. Bo aying weare gone but we ned our older players still for the team structure. Gee we missed Goddard's game talk tonight. We also missed any semblance of forward structure and our kicking is as bas as ever even without any pressure, We played there game style and they were actually better at it tonight. That's the sad part as the defrnsive effort is a weakness we will have until we recruit some height and weight.

Our talls were knackered and were soundly beaten around the ground. Our midfield weas also below par and that is was ultimately will cause several large losses over the year unless Scott can address that soon.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Freebird wrote:
SainterK wrote:Chop chop

Selection table this week

In fisher demps Schneider kosi joey, kids need more structure

Name the outs
Jones Blake hickey tdl milera

If we drop Hickey for Kosi I am not going Friday.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Were we tall? Roo, Hickey (more a ruck role anyway), Maister...looked short in defense!

lefty
Club Player

Issue's.

1 - Clearances; always the same bulls***, can't win a f****** clearance. Only one that tries is Armo.

2 - Forward structure; can't take a mark in the forward line, Wilkes is not a second tall, he doesn't take overhead marks, he's a third tall, you need Kosi. Why didn't Watters at least try Stanley forward!!?!?!?!

3 - Why play Gilbert on Ablett and not Ray

4 - Schneider, Dempster, Fisher, Simpkin, Montagna need to come in

5 - Hickey (inj but doesn't do enough other than win the taps), Gilbert, Blake, TDL need to be dropped.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Pretty disappointing. I would have thought it'd be a few good years before they got over us. Clearly we're starting from the ground up in regards to a tilt at the flag. I've slapped my rose-colored glasses off my own face.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
jmac101
Club Player

70s sainter wrote:gwilts run down the boundry line having a few bounces and then fumbles the last one under no pressure pretty much summed it up.
Don't think it was gwilt, but i remember the play. Milne needed to either lead to space away from the man or lay a block. Did neither and then the mistake happened. Perfect illustration of our disaster of a night,

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Like I care if you go of not pluggs

Kosi at least crashes packs to small forwards adv with good hands.

Hickey doesn't and shouldn't be expected to.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Issue's.

1 - Clearances; always the same bulls***, can't win a f****** clearance. Only one that tries is Armo.

2 - Forward structure; can't take a mark in the forward line, Wilkes is not a second tall, he doesn't take overhead marks, he's a third tall, you need Kosi. Why didn't Watters at least try Stanley forward!!?!?!?!

3 - Why play Gilbert on Ablett and not Ray

4 - Schneider, Dempster, Fisher, Simpkin, Montagna need to come in

5 - Hickey (inj but doesn't do enough other than win the taps), Gilbert, Blake, TDL need to be dropped.

Maister was our BOG tonight with Armo....Kosi wouldn't have got to most of those contests

Nee!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Like I care if you go of not pluggs

Lets get a crash test dummy then and I am glad you dont care if i go or not because i couldnt give a stuff if you go or not either. If Kosi plays then its a pathetic backward step. SK how did he play yesterday? you obviously saw it as you have him in the side.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Like I care if you go of not pluggs

We gave up our comp pick for Hickey and we're going to drop him for Kois who is next to useless. If Watters does that I'm with Pluggs, I'm not going next week either.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Why does everyone keep saying beau Is pkeeping out kos when Scott says clearly its hickey?

It's not pathetic to have an opinion. Pathetic is when people are attacked for theirs
Last edited by SainterK on Sat 30 Mar 2013 11:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

At least Kosi can take a pack mark or bust a pack?

If SW drops Hickey, he probably has done the right thing.... How many teams carry two one position Ruckman?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Why does everyone keep saying beau Is pkeeping out kos when Scott says clearly its hickey?

It's not pathetic to have an opinion. Pathetic is when people are attacked for theirs
No one called you pathetic SK. We;re all on the same team. :)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Why does everyone keep saying beau Is pkeeping out kos when Scott says clearly its hickey?

Who called you pathetic? Certainly not me. And no one attacked you. I just dont want Kosi in for Hickey. There is no point. we arent playing finals and Kosi will retire at the end of the year and maybe earlier.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saad milera etc won't though and he imo brings in others.

lummox
Club Player

MrCordz
Club Player

matrix wrote:Image
Haa ha ha ha ha

Humbly St. Kilda
MrCordz
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Saad milera etc won't though and he imo brings in others.
Saad looked slow!

Humbly St. Kilda
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Dal had one centre clearance, Steven and Lenny had none. Armo was really the only inside mid who put up a solid performance and even he tailed in the second half. We turned over the ball way too much and gave away some really dumb frees. Ray turned over the ball on about a third of his touches. I personally thought the back six held up well considering and the forwards were at least getting some chances. The midfield was woeful.

From a coaching perspective, I can't understand our commitment to taking such a tall team in. Surely we would have expected slippery conditions leading to difficulty marking the ball. Our smalls are much better than our talls. At this point I would be playing Roo and Maister as our talls with the rest smalls. Particularly at a point where we have two potential ruck options in defence should we lose Ben to injury. I also can't understand our obsessive commitment to switching the ball when nothing is there. It wasn't there all night. Conditions didn't favour that style of play anyway. We should have been much more direct in what was essentially a wet whether game.

That's as frustrating a loss as I can remember. We basically lost to a handful of quality kids and GC's cap concessions. It never should have happened and everybody involved should be horribly embarrassed.
Great post.

Summed up my thoughts - how bad is that midfield?

I thought Saad/Milera tried hard.

Milne a disgrace and he looks fat.

Ray, Blake, Gilbert became fumble brothers a d no one could touch it from the centre.

Second to the ball ALL NIGHT.........no wonder we were always on back foot.

“Yeah….nah””
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dan the saints fan wrote:Well what a display by a once great side . Sam gilbert can he have a definate spot either defence or forward . Wasnt beau a defender in west coast when he could get a game an stanley a forward where he can use his leap an speed . Can also ask what up with hickey why take hime off unless is injured when big ben could hardly move . And well whats happened to someone apart from lenny going in for the hard ball ohh opps lenny is only one who does it . And cj ohh cj you are a disgrace to a great number cant kick cant hardly do a thing sounds like that bowler scott muller i think his name was called by joe the camerman . How have you played so many games . Maybe we need face reality an maybe tonite was it we maybe on the downslide an im sorry but why should a big blond forward be chasing down guys 10 yrs younger than him from his forward line to his backline ffs . Yes we were missing a few demps fish joey an maybe kosi but some of these young guys perhaps not up to it as much as we think . Yes i no its only one game but it should have bee na win maybe heat is factor possilby but lets hope better performance against richmond or we will get eaten alive ..
You should post more.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Yes that is my spin too. We were dreadful.

An Armo vs the rest scenario in the midfield is not a thought to cause a lot of delight.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....