WATTERS cant coach....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Re: WATTERS cant coach....

I have always liked Scott Watters - a great decision by the team that was put in place by the Saints heirachy. However, Blake should have been moved much earlier - it was clear to all sitting around me, so why not the Coach? It's easy to be critical, but identifying those moves is what the Coach is paid for.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Im not a coach knocker and Watters is only in his second year but he has made some poor errors in the 2 games this year IMO. If Blake was to play he had to be our second ruck and Stanley had to play down back for a start. Stanley needs to be played as a backman all year or until he is just no good at it. he started well in that position last week so he needed to play there again this week. I know Simpkin got towelled up last time but surely Blakes days are over. He was our past. Simpkin maybe our future. That is 2 I see from last night and even those 2 errors could have cost us the game. Also it seemed obvious to me Fisher wasnt fit so another sign of desperation. Hope he doesnt miss weeks now for playing to early. Could be wrong about all 3 issues but that is my opinion.
Great post

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Fisher on Riewoldt was an obvious call. PLaying Fish deeper would have enabled him to not have to run as much which wouldn't expose him due to interrupted pre0season . Once he went onto Jack, Jack was no where near as effective. That free that he got in the last 1/4 that sealed the game was soft as.

Stanley was fantastic once he went back there. As far as I'm concerned Stanley has to play back. He looks great back there and really steadied the ship.

Some of our handballing under pressure was terrible. It's the like the boys have no understanding of what they are trying to do. Is that Watter's fault or just symptomatic of where we are at at the moment?

Sipposs for mine has been really disappointing this year. Thought his skills last week were poor, especially in the first half, but this week they were bewildering. I saw the look of frustration numerous times on the face of Roo and Joey to name a few. It's like they know he can do better. That kick on half time was disappointing as well. Not saying he should have nailed it, but if anyone in the team was going to give it a shot it was him. His skills have deserted him and I feel for him.

Newnes was an improvement this week. Just don't reckon he has the fitness/strength to be a force yet. We have to keep giving these kids opportunities though. Siposs surely has to miss this week, but he should be given another chance as soon as his confidence comes back. Playing Blake, Kosi, etc is a step back AFAIC.

I really thought that all night we could win. Either some stupid skill error or stupid umpiring decision kept conspiring against us. Don't reckon we're far off. We'll beat GWS and the game against the bombers will be a ripper.

gurubob101
Club Player

Contrary to Junction Oval I never liked Watters as a player and was hugely disappointed when he was made coach. He talks the talk but there aren't many signs that he has done much more than abandon a defensive game style for one that kicks a lot of goals but doesn't win any games.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If he'd played Stanley and Stanley was towelled up it wouldn't be good for Rhys's confidence in holding down the fullback position. Chips wasn't match fit, otherwise he'd have gone to him first...Let's face it, after not kicking a single goal last week, jack was always going to come out hungry and with a solid preseason and an 8 day break he was a motzer to kick a bag - the bloke is a gun

I'm glad that Watters played Blake on jack reiwoldt. At least for those with any doubts about our aging players, or those in denial about Blakes value as a backman, there's some more glaringly obvious evidence for you

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:If he'd played Stanley and Stanley was towelled up it wouldn't be good for Rhys's confidence in holding down the fullback position. Chips wasn't match fit, otherwise he'd have gone to him first...Let's face it, after not kicking a single goal last week, jack was always going to come out hungry and with a solid preseason and an 8 day break he was a motzer to kick a bag - the bloke is a gun

I'm glad that Watters played Blake on jack reiwoldt. At least for those with any doubts about our aging players, or those in denial about Blakes value as a backman, there's some more glaringly obvious evidence for you

I have some serious concerns on how your mind work. Areas below.

- Don't play Stanley back because we were afraid it would ruin his confidence.

- Jack kicked 7 because he kicked 0 last week.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

so what...I think you're a closet shirtlifter...everyone has an opinion...thank you for your opinion on my mind

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote:If he'd played Stanley and Stanley was towelled up it wouldn't be good for Rhys's confidence in holding down the fullback position. Chips wasn't match fit, otherwise he'd have gone to him first...Let's face it, after not kicking a single goal last week, jack was always going to come out hungry and with a solid preseason and an 8 day break he was a motzer to kick a bag - the bloke is a gun

I think Stanley could have taken jack out... Stanley is taller and faster then jackoff

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:

I think Stanley could have taken jack out... Stanley is taller and faster then jackoff
Easy to guess but I'm just sayin that after the game is done and dusted there is a review by the coaches and you do learn some things.

You are probably right about Rhys...IF he'd started on Jack maybe we would've won - who knows. All I'm sayin is that IF he got towelled up it would've been a backward step in trying him down back. I don't mind him playing the Dustin Fletcher role and in the long term maybe Lee will be our CHF and Rhys Stanley our FB/CHB

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:so what...I think you're a closet shirtlifter...everyone has an opinion...thank you for your opinion on my mind

You are very welcome.

In regards to your homosexual remark at me, it's unfounded and a little petty. At least I provided reasons and examples of why I had concerns on your intelligence.

While writing my previous post, I realised that you have to apply this mind to your entire life. Not just football. And that is a very sad and terrifying situation.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:

Easy to guess but I'm just sayin that after the game is done and dusted there is a review by the coaches and you do learn some things.

You are probably right about Rhys...IF he'd started on Jack maybe we would've won - who knows. All I'm sayin is that IF he got towelled up it would've been a backward step in trying him down back. I don't mind him playing the Dustin Fletcher role and in the long term maybe Lee will be our CHF and Rhys Stanley our FB/CHB
Stanley does have the spider man thing going at the moment! like Dustin he's all bloody arms and legs! would it be better for him to bulk up a tiny bit, for the one on one? someone like Cloke or Pav could push him out easily.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
stinger
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Stanley wasn't left in the forward line for 3/4's of the game, thats ridiculous.

He was played up forward for a small amount, because Maister cannot take a mark in the forward line. We needed a target up forward. He did well in the Ruck, He did well in the Backline, didn't get it in the forward line though, but at least it gives us a target.

Maister can never be our second target, he's a 3rd tall tbh.

Blake probably should not have played, he's really only a fill in, Simpkin should of played on him.
next week...in for simpkin...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Scollop wrote:so what...I think you're a closet shirtlifter...everyone has an opinion...thank you for your opinion on my mind

You are very welcome.

In regards to your homosexual remark at me, it's unfounded and a little petty. At least I provided reasons and examples of why I had concerns on your intelligence.

While writing my previous post, I realised that you have to apply this mind to your entire life. Not just football. And that is a very sad and terrifying situation.
Yes sorry, I shouldn't have inferred that you are gay...Thank you again and go forth and multiply.... psycho-analyse that you judgmental knob

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

You are very welcome.

Where are the mods to slap a warning on for that homophobic rubbish ?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
nickblake

It's good to see that the "sack the coach" option is alive and well among saints fans , particularly given that its worked so well in our inglorious history! IMO Watters is damned if he brings in new blood ( and they don't immediately perform as A graders ) and damned if he sticks to the proven performers like Blake and Kosi , who would do alright but won't take the club forward.

Although the last two weeks have been disappointing we need to stick with Watters & Watters needs to stick with the youth and hopefully we will all reap the rewards in 2014 and thereafter.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Spinner wrote:

You are very welcome.

Where are the mods to slap a warning on for that homophobic rubbish ?

Exactly. It's a very poor remark to make.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I think it's far too early to be judging Scott watters now.
All coaches have a theory on a particular game style that can win the ultimate. What they need to implement that is a core group of players that play regularly.
With the state of our list and the requirement for new blood it is going to take time for him to know who can fill the roles and who can't.
We won so many games in 09 and 10 because we had a consistent core of players where Lyon could actually implement his game plan and adjust.

At the moment we are all over the shop trying new faces and positions because we aren't settled yet.
Once that happens then we will see what Scott can do.

It's hard to do, I know but we have to patient and recognise top 4 isn't going to be for a while. To get back there we need to do it methodically and not knee jerk week to week reactions demanding success.
As supporters we should take the pressure off our coach. Not be calling for his head and saying he can't coach.
Let him settle the list.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
lloyd21
Club Player

WATTERS cant coach....

You guys are unreal 2nd year coach has 50% record .
The guy is one of the smartest blokes in footy he is a development coach , he played Blake on Reiwoldt to look after Fisher . A lot people on this forum are screaming for him to play Stanley forward he tried it. Because they are coming back from 6 day
break to look after Riewoldt spread the load .Coached 24 games for goodness sake he is managing his players.Fact is our small players are letting him down with skill errors hence why they are recruiting guys now going forward with 2 things character & skill .We are list building support the guy everyone has to be patient there are no quick fixes.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

lloyd21 wrote:You guys are unreal 2nd year coach has 50% record .
The guy is one of the smartest blokes in footy he is a development coach , he played Blake on Reiwoldt to look after Fisher . A lot people on this forum are screaming for him to play Stanley forward he tried it. Because they are coming back from 6 day
break to look after Riewoldt spread the load .Coached 24 games for goodness sake he is managing his players.Fact is our small players are letting him down with skill errors hence why they are recruiting guys now going forward with 2 things character & skill .We are list building support the guy everyone has to be patient there are no quick fixes.
I don't think he was looking after Fisher by starting him at CHB on Vickery to chase him all over the park. I hardly think that is managing players ! IF he was serious about looking after Fisher he would have played him at full back on Riewoldt. I wonder if they actually thought Vickery was more of a threat given he had kicked 3 the week before - in any event the move came 1 1/2 quarters too late.

Development Coach? How many kids have actually jumped out since Watters took over? Steven, Armitage & Stanley it has been game time & age all of whom would have been played under any other coach! Remember they were selected and developing under Lyon. They were in the exact position that Lee, Ledger and others are right now.

How long do we have to wait to learn a coach needs improvement. Just remember Pelchen and the improved recruiting and list management has been identified by the club not Watters. Obviously this was one of the reasons we didn't enjoy success under Lyon but now we have a far inferior coach - I Wonder ?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
lloyd21
Club Player

WATTERS cant coach....

The guy has been there 5 minutes replaced 22 players on their list in 18months - Fact.

Fisher is playing the same role as Scarlett did his latter years - Fact.

How long do have wait more than 5 minutes.

You are building a list , hence why the message coming from the club is consistent they need their Senior core to help show the kids how to train ,support them when they make
errors which is going to happen we just have be patient.

Scott's coaching history in the WAFL is all about development .Listen to what he is saying " Over this year we will provide kids with the opportunity to play games"

You are welcome to your opinion , but when you bring in that many kids they need 3 years in system before it happens .

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

lloyd21 wrote:The guy has been there 5 minutes replaced 22 players on their list in 18months - Fact.

You are building a list , hence why the message coming from the club is consistent they need their Senior core to help show the kids how to train ,support them when they make

Scott's coaching history in the WAFL is all about development .Listen to what he is saying " Over this year we will provide kids with the opportunity to play games"

You are welcome to your opinion , but when you bring in that many kids they need 3 years in system before it happens .
Lets see if he is true to his word - Curren was BOG on Sunday we need his grunt upgrade him to the list in lieu of Markworth and give the kid a run at it !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

dead wood

obviously shown nothing last year and in the first two games this season

get rid of him now
might as well

this week we've lost half the senior list to sackings so we might as well add the coach

if youre going to start again you might as well start from scratch

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
lloyd21 wrote:The guy has been there 5 minutes replaced 22 players on their list in 18months - Fact.

Lets see if he is true to his word - Curren was BOG on Sunday we need his grunt upgrade him to the list in lieu of Markworth and give the kid a run at it !
He would need to be elevated?