Fisher, Dal, Lenny, Milne, Jones, Ray, Gilbo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fisher, Dal, Lenny, Milne, Jones, Ray, Gilbo

The big problem with NDS taggers is that they can keep him quiet and still run off him to create play, so I think it is time for NDS to go to VFL and work on his defensive game again, as I think once Lyon left, NDS took his foot off the defensive pedal.

groupie1
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Jones was very good
here we go again...

every single time. Jones was NOT very good.

He chased, he tackled, he pressurred, he did a few nice things. You have to admire his work rate, his effort, his attention to detail... I love the fact that he does everything humanly possible to get the best out of himself...

that being said... he was average... turned a few over, costly mistakes and frequently stuffs up the counter attacks. His mistakes were costly today and his opponents hurt us BAD.

If 21 other players had his endeavour we'd be unstoppable... if 21 players were as erratic as him we'd be a bigger basket case
Seriously, what makes people think he had a good game. Was he tagging Watson. Watson got 34 and 2-3 goals. Heppel? (Gilbert on Hellel?) Heppel got 27.
Really interested in what anyone saw in Jones' game.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Jones was very good
here we go again...

every single time. Jones was NOT very good.

He chased, he tackled, he pressurred, he did a few nice things. You have to admire his work rate, his effort, his attention to detail... I love the fact that he does everything humanly possible to get the best out of himself...

that being said... he was average... turned a few over, costly mistakes and frequently stuffs up the counter attacks. His mistakes were costly today and his opponents hurt us BAD.

If 21 other players had his endeavour we'd be unstoppable... if 21 players were as erratic as him we'd be a bigger basket case
Seriously, what makes people think he had a good game. Was he tagging Watson. Watson got 34 and 2-3 goals. Heppel? (Gilbert on Hellel?) Heppel got 27.
Really interested in what anyone saw in Jones' game.

Did you go to the game. watson played at FF as well and apart from 10 seconds when somehow CJ was on him there he got his goals when on someone else. Just because someone on here who watched it on TV says CJ tagged Watson doesnt make it fact. he may have been on 30% of the game.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Fisher is a real concern.

He had his pants pulled down deluxe on the weekend.
Gave away soft holding frees and was as flat as a tack.

Our back six are dreadful ATM.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

How many genuine midfielders do we have at Sandringham who are beating down the door for a game?......errrr.....that would be none.

By the way, if Jones hadn't played it would have been a 60 point loss. As for Dal Santo, give him some time at half back during games and let Geary and Gilbert rotate through the midfield. It's been done before with Dal Santo and his precision kicking has been very useful off half back. It also adds a different dimension to our midfield and Gilbert and Geary attack the ball hard.

Remember, Dal Santo gets the hardest tag every week.

Mooksy
Club Player

Are you for real including Jones in that? Heard someone say on weekend our older players seem to be not really playing for much as Watters is selling the "transition"and "rebuild" phase. Must be hard for them to get up when the coach is thinking this. Doesn't excuse sub par performance but surely hearing this message from coach takes the edge off somewhat.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:How many genuine midfielders do we have at Sandringham who are beating down the door for a game?......errrr.....that would be none.
Curren has been Sandringham's best player for the last 12 months, regularly getting 25+ disposals and multiple goals per game. Ledger has been inconsistent but has also played some outstanding footy.
By the way, if Jones hadn't played it would have been a 60 point loss. As for Dal Santo, give him some time at half back during games and let Geary and Gilbert rotate through the midfield. It's been done before with Dal Santo and his precision kicking has been very useful off half back. It also adds a different dimension to our midfield and Gilbert and Geary attack the ball hard.

Remember, Dal Santo gets the hardest tag every week.
If Jones hadn't have played then it would have been a kid who might have had a few less disposals but no doubt would have used them much better. His tagging no longer has any effect on the opposition. He can run fast but his mind is slow, his skills make him a liability with the ball and while he gets lots of stats for tackles, it is very rare that the opposition doesn't break it/get the handball off. I'm getting really sick of people praising Jones for running around in circles all day trying to chase his opponent who is BOG week after week.

Also I think you'll find that Steven and Armo are getting the most attention from the opposition now. Dal just doesn't seem to doing any damage with the ball - he's not getting shut down because he's not hurting the opposition. With that said, I'm not against moving him around. We don't have much skill off half back and we'll gain plenty from giving Ross/Ledger/Curren time in the middle.

paddy
Club Player

while I aggree some of our aging stars are struggling with the pressure that the good teams provide...

I really think that our game plan reallys isn't up to scratch. Either that or it hasn't been modified to suit the strengths/ weaknesses of our playing group...

We seem to lack structure, both defensively and offensively.... and we are too obsessed with creating fast break style scoring shots, that we dont seem to have a strucutred method of attack.....

The switch seems to be useless against hard spreading defensive sides too....

this is not a 'sack the coach' statement, but I feel that some serious thought needs to be put into creating strong defensive structures, and a hard running, intensity driven culture....

I hope that this starts to shine through over the next few weeks

spert
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:while I aggree some of our aging stars are struggling with the pressure that the good teams provide...

I really think that our game plan reallys isn't up to scratch. Either that or it hasn't been modified to suit the strengths/ weaknesses of our playing group...

We seem to lack structure, both defensively and offensively.... and we are too obsessed with creating fast break style scoring shots, that we dont seem to have a strucutred method of attack.....

The switch seems to be useless against hard spreading defensive sides too....

this is not a 'sack the coach' statement, but I feel that some serious thought needs to be put into creating strong defensive structures, and a hard running, intensity driven culture....

I hope that this starts to shine through over the next few weeks
I agree about game plan issues etc. I saw a few times where our backs were not in the right position to contest marks and should have been, too much room for the Bomber forwards to compose themselves when they got possession( lack of pressure by the backs and mids). There was also something not right about the midfield setups at centre bounces, and too much space was left for the opposition to easily run the ball out of the middle- sure our mids didn't work hard enough at the contest, but the midfield coach needs to have a rethink about who stands where and what they should be doing at ball ups. Our small forwards all hung around in attacking positions of packs, no defensive work, and didn't contest, leaving room for the Bomber backs to run the ball out easily at spillages.. that's just a few that come to mind, and it is really a coaching thing to sort this out, as there problems both ends of the ground and in the middle to do with structures and setups. Anyway that's what Scotty is getting paid to do, so lets hope he sorts it out.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Mooksy wrote:Are you for real including Jones in that? Heard someone say on weekend our older players seem to be not really playing for much as Watters is selling the "transition"and "rebuild" phase. Must be hard for them to get up when the coach is thinking this. Doesn't excuse sub par performance but surely hearing this message from coach takes the edge off somewhat.
Well said and that is why we need to get the next core of players into place as soon as possible with no disrespect to our loyal servants of the past.