Future Move To 4 Games In NZ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Future Move To 4 Games In NZ

millarsaint wrote:ostensibly we lost our identity when we moved out of morrabbin. who cares if we play half a dozen games in Wellington? the docklands has got FA to do with St Kilda. and we train down in Seaford. I want us to be able to compete with the bigger clubs. in 140 years ostensibly we have failed to do this successful. we still have a pissy number of members. you want to be ordinary all your life? got to show some ambition. I know the identity of St Kilda. I'm not insecure about losing that. home game against Essendon last week and couldn't even hear a chant go up for Saints. just not good enough. the more fans you got the more premierships you win. do you get it?
Of course it means FA to you mate, you live in Canberra so don't get to games anyway I take it?

Docklands is closer to our original home than Moorabin, the fans & members that have followed the club for the past 50-100 years can still go and watch their team...

I couldn't care less how many premierships we won if we relocated to NZ, I would not be following the team.

Were you at the game last week? Bit rich giving s*** to the members that got off their arses and attended. GWS are guaranteed a few premierships but will be completely devoid of any soul, you might prefer to start following them.

Bazza1970
Club Player

I think the club needs to be careful of alienating the loyal 32K members we have in Melbourne by playing more home games outside of the state.

I think people are delusional to think the AFL will give us only 4 other interstate games. Now with Geelong we could potentially have only 11 games in Melbourne. Personally I don't want to watch my team on TV every second week.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

but is she ( Caro ) confused?

there was in the original plan to be 5 games in total to start- 1 in 2013 and then 2 per year for 2014 and 2015
or are many reading it as 4 games per year.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Saints94
SS Life Member

If Nettlefold is one of the highest paid CEO in the game well that my friend is a joke and he should be stood down, someone honestly tell what this idiot has actually done for our club rather then just playing 40 games for us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:If Nettlefold is one of the highest paid CEO in the game well that my friend is a joke and he should be stood down, someone honestly tell what this idiot has actually done for our club rather then just playing 40 games for us.

Whats he done wrong first?

Saints94
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Saints94 wrote:If Nettlefold is one of the highest paid CEO in the game well that my friend is a joke and he should be stood down, someone honestly tell what this idiot has actually done for our club rather then just playing 40 games for us.

What has he done right plugger?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I didnt make a statement, you did.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It will be a very slippery slope, as the Board "of the day," supported by the AFL, will always chase the immediate money, not necessarily the long term future of the Club - they have big egos to protect, a bit like politicians - in it for their short term glory, knowing that they won't be there in the future to clean up the mess that they create. The Melb/Hawks fiasco comes to mind.

Without solid supporters through the ups & downs, Clubs will not last in this day & age. Don't expect NZ to be anything other than a short term cash cow. It's up to the Saints supporters to ensure that there is "balance." To do this, supporters will need to act in a "voting block," which is difficult to organise when everybody has a different view. The AFL will be very keen to see NZ work (for them, not us), so be wary of the slippery slope and "short term promises." Remember - it's not a promise unless it is writing and gold stamped!

However, there needs to be a "bottom line," non-negotiable point that Saints supporters agree to if you are going to have any effective say in this. Well then, what is it ?

This year, we play 7 Interstate, 11 at Etihad (8 h/games), 3 at MCG ( 2 h/games), and 1 at Geelong. Which ones would you be prepared to give away - 4 of the Interstate ones, I would say. HOWEVER, I would think that this would cause severe scheduling problems for the AFL. I won't go on - let others have their say.

Saints43
Club Player

Saints94 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Under Nettlefold the club has grown it's off field resources, improved the boardroom and moved back into profit.
This gives the coach and players the best chance of success.
What more should a football club CEO do?

It's just become Sainsational de rigueur to shitcan CN.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Under Nettlefold the club has grown it's off field resources, improved the boardroom and moved back into profit.
This gives the coach and players the best chance of success.
What more should a football club CEO do?

It's just become Sainsational de rigueur to shitcan CN.

You better get used to it because some of the people on here have never seen us down the bottom of the ladder and others have forgotten. It will be everyones fault then.

Saints43
Club Player

While this is getting off topic... When we are not challenging for the top 4 - which is most of the time - supporters need to look for the other joys football can bring other than weekly wins. Watching new young players try to bring pride to the jumper. Great moments of skill and bravery. Watching the club move towards a new era with a sense of hope (and some realistic expectation).

Remember 1999-2003 when there were doubts about the Saints ever coming good and then the last 5 or so matches of 2003 they exploded! Be patient and enjoy.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It will be about as flippant as our move to Tassie.... Sounds good at the time

IMO It will be a gimmick, a cash grab and when it becomes tough, we'll abandon it....

When the negotiation at Moorabbin got tough, we sold out

When it got tough in Tas we bailed

When it gets tough at the tribunal, trade table or in the media we opt out...

We couldn't even negotiate a deal with the coach, and got usurped by a pathetic mob

We made a commitment to play in NZ and I can se the benefit of the ANZAC day game. Not another, not sure the point of that?? We need to stick with it.

We make easy decisions too often and look for easy answers.
Our board is irrelevant and weak and I believe a fish rots at the head. One day a decision will be made that will be the death knell of stk.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It will be about as flippant as our move to Tassie.... Sounds good at the time

IMO It will be a gimmick, a cash grab and when it becomes tough, we'll abandon it....

When the negotiation at Moorabbin got tough, we sold out

When it got tough in Tas we bailed

When it gets tough at the tribunal, trade table or in the media we opt out...

We couldn't even negotiate a deal with the coach, and got usurped by a pathetic mob

We made a commitment to play in NZ and I can se the benefit of the ANZAC day game. Not another, not sure the point of that?? We need to stick with it.

We make easy decisions too often and look for easy answers.
Our board is irrelevant and weak and I believe a fish rots at the head. One day a decision will be made that will be the death knell of stk.

I love your positivity. Things like this give you a chance to think of all the bad things that have happened at the club and continue all your negative posts. By the way a lot of things you mentioned have happened under different boards but lets blame the current one.

Cant wait till come back with something about accepting mediocrity.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Of course the great legacy of this board will be???

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Of course the great legacy of this board will be???
Becoming a financially viable organisation... Therefor not relocating or folding.

Get another team mate, honestly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Of course the great legacy of this board will be???

You are a whinger and a really pathetic supporter. The club do bugger all right in your opinion. I havent heard a person criticise as much as you. Can you tell us all the bad things the current board have done. By the way didnt you say 2 days ago you wouldnt comment on my posts for a few days. Time flys under your rules of a few days. I suppose when less then a week ago you said you would never comment again I shouldnt expect the truth.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Whats he done wrong first?[/quote]
What has he done right plugger?[/quote]

I didnt make a statement, you did.[/quote]

Well it's just my opinion actually, seeing him with his phone to his ear when Ross left and him simply not closing the curtains is enough for me, sure it makes us look professional when media outlets show that vision.

70s sainter
Club Player

The ONLY advantage of selling home games is making a bit of money. You dont do it for any other reason. The club should be trying to do this by getting extra members somehow or other. Maybe get some of our very rich supporters to buy heaps of memberships and donate them to winning schoolkids in primary schools down the coast. This would increase membership as well as hopefully new members of the future.
If they can raise $1 million that would buy 10 000 members or 20 000 extra 3 game members?............................Hang on , they could use the N.Z revenue (1 mill) to do this i guess.
Its about a plan for the future - not short term revenue.
2 games in N.Z maximum.
But if we can afford it i would say just the one - on anzac day.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Regarding Etihad, all teams that play there should be on the same deal. It should be a level playing field. If the AFL are not prepared to cancel the Essendon deal and bring them down to every other team, then put us all on the Essendon deal.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Regarding Etihad, all teams that play there should be on the same deal. It should be a level playing field. If the AFL are not prepared to cancel the Essendon deal and bring them down to every other team, then put us all on the Essendon deal.

Why Barry. They arent at the G.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am talking about financial deals Pluggs.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Whilst everyone has been discussing games in NZ on this thread, Nettlefold's salary has hardly been touched on. What's he done wrong? Well the Lyon contract was completely ballsed up for a start. Nonetheless, whether he has done nothing wrong or performed well is irrelevant, his salary is quite simply over the top and ridiculous, Corporate indulgence at its best.

If he were paid $400,000, still a huge salary, we would have $350,000 to spend on other things such as: 3 or 4 extra recruiting people; or 3 or 4 extra coaches to fast track our youth or indeed full time medical staff that may have physically rehabilitated Luke Ball as Collingwood did. We may also have no need to play games in NZ.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Whilst everyone has been discussing games in NZ on this thread, Nettlefold's salary has hardly been touched on. What's he done wrong? Well the Lyon contract was completely ballsed up for a start. Nonetheless, whether he has done nothing wrong or performed well is irrelevant, his salary is quite simply over the top and ridiculous, Corporate indulgence at its best.

If he were paid $400,000, still a huge salary, we would have $350,000 to spend on other things such as: 3 or 4 extra recruiting people; or 3 or 4 extra coaches to fast track our youth or indeed full time medical staff that may have physically rehabilitated Luke Ball as Collingwood did. We may also have no need to play games in NZ.

Maybe true but that is hardly his fault.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think this becomes a necessity for us

Facing facts, we blew the Tassie deal... we should have stayed there and built on the foundations and continued making money.
We would have:
- Grown our supporter base
- Worked on our travel routine and improved playing in those types of conditions
- Reduced our loss against low drawing i/s clubs

Hindsight (IMO) has shown that it was a good deal hat gave us some financial secuirty for tough times

Now in NZ, we get a second crack at it...
new market, new sponsorship opportunities etc money to be made.

We're at the start of what we believe will be a lean period for the club supporter/members wise with a reasonable number of losses to come

We need a security blanket here and IMO this is it. This could be the difference btw us merging/relocating and not

IMO we need to lock this in and stay there.. if we can develop the deal so that we play in Melb more... then it could be a ripper