2013 team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

steve7920

2013 team

Been lurking for a while now, think it's about time I made a post.

How I think the lineup for next week SHOULD be..

B: N.Wright, S.Fisher, T.Simpkin
HB: D.Roberton, S.Dempster, J.Geary
C: L.Hayes, S.Ross, S.Dunell
HF: D.Armitage, R.Stanley, N.Dal Santo
F: A.Saad, N.Riewoldt, J.Saunders
Foll: B.McEvoy, J.Steven, L.Montagna
I/C: A.Siposs, T.Lee, T.Hickey, B.Murdoch

In: A.Siposs, S.Dunell, T.Simpkin, T.Hickey
Out: T.Dennis-Lane, S.Gilbert, C.Jones, J.Koschitzke

Ledger/Newnes to rotate with Murdoch/Saunders occasionally through the year for a break.
Also some other newbies for a couple games of experience.

Gwilt to take over from Fisher for the latter part of the year.
Am a bit 50/50 on who should be chosen from Saad/Milera, 1 should be kept and 1 should be trade bait.

Schneider, Gilbert, ray, Kosi, Blake, maister, Milne to not return.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2013 team

bit hard on Gilbert and Schneider.
Don't want to lose to GWS yet!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Why the hell would Gilbert and Jones be out?

Greg T
Club Player

Gilbert,Jones ,Schneider ,Ray still very valuable to our club.

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert is massively flawed but has played some decent footy this year. Schneider is an incredibly intelligent and skilled footballer - two attributes we are missing dearly.

This should be our preferred team for the rest of the year (with everyone except Markworth available)

B: Simpkin, Stanley, Geary
HB: Dempster, Fisher, Wright
C: Montagna, Hayes, Dal Santo
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Siposs
F: Milne, Maister, Saad

Foll: McEvoy, Armitage, Steven
Int: Hickey, Ross, Roberton, Gilbert

With Ledger, Dunell, Newnes, Curren, Milera, Saunders, Ray, Murdoch, Gwilt and Webster as the go-to replacements depending on VFL form.

White, Ferguson, Pierce and Lever are all a long way off being ready.

Blake, Kosi, Jones, Shenton and TDL on standby in case a terrible illness hits 25 listed players.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Gilbert is massively flawed but has played some decent footy this year. Schneider is an incredibly intelligent and skilled footballer - two attributes we are missing dearly.

This should be our preferred team for the rest of the year (with everyone except Markworth available)

With Ledger, Dunell, Newnes, Curren, Milera, Saunders, Ray, Murdoch, Gwilt and Webster as the go-to replacements depending on VFL form.

Blake, Kosi, Jones, Shenton and TDL on standby in case a terrible illness hits 25 listed players.

So you want CJ out even though he would be nerly leading the B&F this year? by the way no side in the AFL would have a bench like that.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I really pity Milne's eventual replacement. If the only perrenial 50-goal small in existence isn't revered, then an average small forward will get completely destroyed around here.

I hope Milne plays until he's 40.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
steve7920

plugger66 wrote:Why the hell would Gilbert and Jones be out?
They're 2 of the worst kickers going around, I feel nervous every time they take an uncontested possession because their only good disposals are usually a handball off to the side. CJ is a warrior but we need more skilful players rather than those that just 'play a role'

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Gilbert is massively flawed but has played some decent footy this year. Schneider is an incredibly intelligent and skilled footballer - two attributes we are missing dearly.

So you want CJ out even though he would be nerly leading the B&F this year? by the way no side in the AFL would have a bench like that.
CJ leading B&F? thats funny

I reckon Riewoldt/Armitage would query that....

Jones is on his way out - tonight multiple times had the ball and kicked it straight up in the air...not the future.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

CJ leading B&F? thats funny

I reckon Riewoldt/Armitage would query that....

Jones is on his way out - tonight multiple times had the ball and kicked it straight up in the air...not the future.

I said nearly or I actually said nerly. he would be very close. Probably an indictment on the club but he has been very good and I aint a fan. he is ahead of many at the moment. By the way Armo has had 2 very bad games.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Armo was ok against Bombers not terrible.

Jones isnt leading our B&F.

Id be staggered if/when his contract falls if Jones is offered another.

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Jones has had 16 inside 50's for 2 goal assists so far this year. One in 8 times he tries to hit a forward it works out well, and these are usually uncontested possessions. His opponent is BOG every week as well.

Yes, he gets possessions. That is because the opposition doesn't bother stopping him because his disposals are either direct turnovers, handballs to teammates under pressure or panicked kicks up in the air. We never come out in a better position after his disposal than before it. He is an appalling AFL player who would not get a game in any top 8 side. He tries his guts out and I'm sure he's well liked at the club, but he is everything that is wrong with our team right now. He has no footy nous, no skills, can't stick a tackle, can't kick a goal, can't mark overhead and can't even tag anymore. We don't need players who try hard. We need players who try hard and have talent.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Armo was ok against Bombers not terrible.

Jones isnt leading our B&F.

Id be staggered if/when his contract falls if Jones is offered another.

He was good against the Bombers. he was no good against the Tigers though and i will repeat again, I never said he would be leading the B&F. I expect he will be dropped eventually but wont and shouldnt be now.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Let's look at CJ's awesome shut down work

Hannebery: 30 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles
Watson: 37 disposals, 2 goals
GWS: No idea who he played on
Cotchin: 31 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles
Ablett: 34 disposals, 4 goals, 4 tackles

Leading the B&F?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Let's look at CJ's awesome shut down work

Leading the B&F?

He played on McVeigh tonight IMO and played about 30% of the game on watson. Watson was at FF for about 30% of the game. He didnt play on Ablett at all so you are losing cedibility by trying to prove a point. Dont even know if he as on cotchin. Cant remember but you have 2 out of 3 wrong so i dont know why i would beleive that.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Leading the B&F?

He played on McVeigh tonight IMO and played about 30% of the game on watson. Watson was at FF for about 30% of the game. He didnt play on Ablett at all so you are losing cedibility by trying to prove a point. Dont even know if he as on cotchin. Cant remember but you have 2 out of 3 wrong so i dont know why i would beleive that.
Obviously I wasn't at the game tonight so can't say for sure he was on Hannebery but Jones was certainly running around after him a lot and was starting on him at centre bounces. Regardless, McVeigh cut us up as well. He definitely played on Cotchin, I was at the game and saw Jones feebly attempting to block him in clearances before Cotchin would push off him and get east kicks. Jones played the first half against GC on Benell before moving to Ablett, at which stage Ablett went absolutely nuts and destroyed us.

He was also against Watson all night. Including when he went forward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Leading the B&F?

Obviously I wasn't at the game tonight so can't say for sure he was on Hannebery but Jones was certainly running around after him a lot and was starting on him at centre bounces. Regardless, McVeigh cut us up as well. He definitely played on Cotchin, I was at the game and saw Jones feebly attempting to block him in clearances before Cotchin would push off him and get east kicks. Jones played the first half against GC on Benell before moving to Ablett, at which stage Ablett went absolutely nuts and destroyed us.

He was also against Watson all night. Including when he went forward.

Firstly watson started at FF on Stanley and that is fact. CJ ended up on him once for about 10 seconds when he was at FF otherwise someone else had him. It is my guess CJ was on watson for about 30% of the game and CJ didnt play on Ablett in the second half or if he did it was for about 5 minutes. if you will recall there was about 5 threads saying why was Gilbert on Ablett in the second half. I will trust you on Cotchin. i was there as well but cant remember. Hope you memory is better than round one though.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Jones and Gilbert are incredibly hard working, hard running players who attack every contest with vigor and apply tackling pressure. We need as many players as possible who fit that mold. Would you rather beautiful skills like Milera but without the other attributes? I know they frustrate with their kicking, but until we find more skillful players who possess all their other attributes, they keep playing.

Schneider is the most skillful by foot than any other at the club and is a class player.

Maister is more important to us than many think. Another hard worker who can take a contested mark and is happy to put himself in the hot spot and take the hits.

All these guys deserve to keep their places until we develop genuine replacements who can show the same work ethic and hardness.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like Jones is tagging every midfielder at the same time each game, the way some are talking here- have a closer look at the poor defensive game by the rest of the midfield/ on ball brigade as well, their opponents are running off them with ease, and until that gets addressed, we will struggle. Last night we had at least 6 players with only a handful of senior AFL games between them, against the reigning premiers, so 16 points is not a bad effort don't you think. Had Maister not been injured during the Essendon game, we might have a closer score line in that one, same last night. Not winning, but not all bad.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Sounds like Jones is tagging every midfielder at the same time each game, the way some are talking here- have a closer look at the poor defensive game by the rest of the midfield/ on ball brigade as well, their opponents are running off them with ease, and until that gets addressed, we will struggle. Last night we had at least 6 players with only a handful of senior AFL games between them, against the reigning premiers, so 16 points is not a bad effort don't you think. Had Maister not been injured during the Essendon game, we might have a closer score line in that one, same last night. Not winning, but not all bad.

You are 100% spot on. With all the interchanges now it is impossible to play on a guy for the whole game. CJ didnt even Play on Ablett but was bad on him. He would have played on Watson for no more than 30% of the game as Watson played forward for a fair bit and they were off the grounds at different times and they also would have had other opponents as well. Then some one says he was Hannebury last nigh and it becomes fact but others say he played on McVeigh so who knows. My guess is he played on both. CJ is far from the problem so far this year. Will CJ play the whole year. maybe not but there are many ahead of him in the dropping stakes at the moment.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Surely people aren't bagging Gilbert, and calling for him to be dropped, based on his 2013 form? :shock: :?