Lyon 'acted bizarre'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jimmy_slats
Club Player

Re: Lyon 'acted bizarre'

couldnt care less about the Lyin s*** im more worried about what is going to come from them saying that GT's relationships with the younger playing group was bordering on unhealthy.... thats a pretty serious thing to say and could have some serious repercussions..

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
rct63
Club Player

Just seem like typical self destructive St Kilda behavior.
Nothing new, been doing it for 140 years and will never change.

*SIGH*
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dont think so ... i think it was more along the lines GT was like a father figure for many of the players and when you think we had Roo, Fish, X, Raph, Kosi, lenny all a fair distance away from their familys at a very young age ... the problem became when the personal relationships from that closeness began to cloud the judgment on selection/delisting/trading ... GT stands by that he was professional enough to not let it effect any of those things .. i dont think many on the board at that time believed that so he was cut before it was really tested .... but lets be honest about it the GT sacking was more to do with ego than anything else GT vs Butterss

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Saints43
Club Player

jimmy_slats wrote:couldnt care less about the Lyin s*** im more worried about what is going to come from them saying that GT's relationships with the younger playing group was bordering on unhealthy.... thats a pretty serious thing to say and could have some serious repercussions..
Long. Bow. Drawn.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:You can only assume that the board had serious reservations about Lyons ability to regenerate/rebuild the list.
I had serious reservations about it, too, and so probably did Lyin'.

It's not his go. When the club did the right thing and appointed Pelchen, Ross couldn't find the stomach for a long road ahead. It would have hurt his win/loss ratio too much.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
dragit wrote:You can only assume that the board had serious reservations about Lyons ability to regenerate/rebuild the list.

It's not his go. When the club did the right thing and appointed Pelchen, Ross couldn't find the stomach for a long road ahead. It would have hurt his win/loss ratio too much.
It's easier for everyone to hate him but... The fact is he wanted a long term deal with us... He wanted a guaranteed tenure regardless of win/loss, and fair enough too considering the rebuild everyone knew we faced.

After 2 GF's you deserve a little security, not be at risk of the sack without entitlements any given year.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

It's easier for everyone to hate him but... The fact is he wanted a long term deal with us... He wanted a guaranteed tenure regardless of win/loss, and fair enough too considering the rebuild everyone knew we faced.

After 2 GF's you deserve a little security, not be at risk of the sack without entitlements any given year.
Still had a year on his contract and was about to get a healty increase if the Saints story is believed.

Where do you get the bit about no entitlements? If he was terminated with 3 months notice he would get his minimum termination entitlements agreed to at contract time at the very least. He may even have received his final year salary.

Remember the Saints chose not to enforce his contract clause. Lyon gave one day notice. He was not entitled to anything because of that. If you give one days notice, you wont receive your accrued holiday pay, or your accrued LSL either.

Also put into perspective the Lyon BS about 6 months for a Saints contract and 72 hours for a Freo contract. Remember he still had 12 minths of a current contract to run with the Saints. Just plain old spin.

Went for the money, and because Harvey had done the hard work for him. No need to build a list, just be a parasite and feast off other hard work (like he did at the Saints).

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
After 2 GF's you deserve a little security

Three GFs, with a list he played little role in assembling.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

GT would have brought home the bacon.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

GT wouldnt have had luke ball on the f****** bench during the crucial time

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dont believe that ... i personally believe that Ross felt he could build the next generation of st kilda and he was willing to put in the hard yards , he obviously wanted the security of a long term contract because he could clearly see the rebuild was going to take time and after grand finals missing the finals for any period of time was going to put pressure on his job and rightly so i think all saints fans where somewhat concerned that we had very little up and comming tallent under ross and although he was well liked by the faithful while playing in grandfinals the heat would be high on him during a rebuild .. all the same i think he was willing to take it on ... the problem is Freo saw the opportunity to to boldly poach a grand final coach freo know they have a short window right now to maybe pinch a flag and their prospects of doing so with someone like Lyon was going to improve ... so they pounced , Ross at that time i reckon was having a bit of a sook around the appointment of Pelch , Freo waved the carrot under his nose and the rest is as they say history ....

Ross did the dog thing to Mark Harvey because it suited his interest to take the big $$ from freo ... had the offer been the same $ as ours then i dont think Ross would have moved even with the so called better list Freo had for Ross to work with ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, by entitlements I meant the full payout of his contract... 3 years 'unconditional' is what he wanted & that is what Fremantle provided...

I have no idea about the ins & outs of the contract we had on the table, but from I can gather, the clauses we had in place meant that if we sacked him at any stage he would not have received a payout for the years left on the contract... So no security when we were clearly heading south and facing some pretty lean years win/loss-wise...

Pretty sure Harvey, Ratten etc received their final years payout after they were sacked, I'm sure we are scared after blight/Watson... However we're talking about a coach who delivered considerable 'success' & was clearly in demand.

What is the point of having a 3 year deal if it can be terminated in any given year? Might as well make it ten if it has release clauses...

I personally think it has worked out for the best anyway, but there are two parts to that story, Lyon did what was best for him in the end after a drawn out contract negotiation where the board clearly didn't want him enough, I'm okay with that.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:GT wouldnt have had luke ball on the f****** bench during the crucial time
No instead he would have loaded the team with lame & injured players, like he did in his last game as a coach...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:GT wouldnt have had luke ball on the f****** bench during the crucial time
GT would have had Milne in an essendon jumper and Jason Johnson playing for us ... he also wouldnt have had Gardi in the ruck but persisted with Blake getting smashed ... he prob would have also played Goose and X under done who wouldnt have lasted the first half .... and queit possibly insulted the umpires the week before the game

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so basically Gt wouldnt have got us to the grannie yeah???

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:so basically Gt wouldnt have got us to the grannie yeah???
realistically we will never know ... heck GT could have pulled off a master stroke of genius and drafted and traded some exceptional players into the team he may have even been able to extract more out of the guys we already had ..but if we were to go by the projected trend we were heading under GT i reckon we wouldnt have made the top 8 let alone the grand final

casey scorp
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:I think everyone is overlooking the indisputable fact that after Lyon had taken us to two Grand Finals at the end of 2010, he still had a clause in his contract that enabled his contract to be terminated with three months (12 weeks) notice. So in effect a coach who had taken us to two successive Grand Finals and was arguably the best coach in the competition, was left on a contract which was in reality and practically, a 12 week contract. Don't any of you think that this was a disgraceful set of circumstances. Sure the circumstances surrounding Lyon's departure were disappointing, however IMO his contract was a disgrace and that responsibility lays at the feet of the Board.
Correct, and the fact that Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

For months a new contract could have been resolved, but wasn't. Is it any wonder that when a suitor came knocking who wanted to engage in negotiations regarding a contract Lyon paid attention.

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Moorabin man thats a bit rich to pin that clause on the board ... unless you were part of the contract negotiation process how do you know that it wasnt Ross Lyons side that pushed for that clause in the contract ? considering that the clause benifited Ross in a major way i tend to lean to the side that it was Ross who asked for that clause .. thinking about that clause considering when most coaches get sacked its pretty much with a days notice the three month notice clause would have been a safe guard for ross that if he was to be sacked then he had three months security ...
The 3 month termination clause would not have been at the request of RL. Sure coaches get sacked with a day's notice, but they get more than 3 months compensation. No, the Board put that clause in to limit its exposure if they sacked him.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

we escaped a further bullet when the prick left...imagine where we would be now if the see you next tuesday had actually stayed....an aged list backed by retreads with no hope and no future...... :roll: :roll: :roll: ...good riddance to bad rubbish i say.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Geezus I can not believe some people still lamenting Thomas departure - IMO had he just been care taker coach as he was meant to be and gone earlier wed have a flag... but no, he lined the feel, went nuts and ego took over as he tried to run whme show. How bout the O/S trip that hadn't been run past the Board that was all about building "better rounded young men" FFS the guy thought he was Mandela

Shame Lyon didn't come a year or 2 earlier IMO we'd have been hard to stop - as opposed to limping to defeat in 2005 prelim and continuing to play injured players

“Yeah….nah””
St Lenny
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:I think everyone is overlooking the indisputable fact that after Lyon had taken us to two Grand Finals at the end of 2010, he still had a clause in his contract that enabled his contract to be terminated with three months (12 weeks) notice. So in effect a coach who had taken us to two successive Grand Finals and was arguably the best coach in the competition, was left on a contract which was in reality and practically, a 12 week contract. Don't any of you think that this was a disgraceful set of circumstances. Sure the circumstances surrounding Lyon's departure were disappointing, however IMO his contract was a disgrace and that responsibility lays at the feet of the Board.
No, I don't agree at all. We tried to negotiate a new contract, he stuffed us around and then walked out. If he didn't like the original contract, he should have signed it in the first place.

casey scorp
Club Player

I assume you mean if he didn't like the original contract he should "not" have signed it in the first place.

He was obviously happy enough with it - he did sign it.

It was his next contact that was where the issue lay!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
dragit wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

GT would have brought home the bacon.

No he wouldn't have Carl. Get real.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think its funny how in the story about the blues trying to buy us to get Plugger it makes mention of how Plugger lost $100K therefore forcing him to look for a bigger contract at the swans.... spin around to the ross lyon departure its widely suspected that Ross losing a 7 figure ammount in dodgy investments was the reason he chased the cash ....

only at St Kilda would we have people stuffing up with their own money come to bite us ...
I saw a lyon interview where he said he was looking for financial security for his family !

In red white and black from 73
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I think Thomas was very god for us until his issues with Butterss. With Thomas, at least he had a long term vision for the playing list and his recruiting philosophy was on the money.

Lyon inherited a talented group of players with a great attitude, and Thomas has to be credited with that. However, it appeared Lyon was more focused on the immediate situation, based on his disastrous decision to recruit Lovett, particularly after allowing a person of high quality to go elsewhere when Ball went to Collingwood.

None of us can categorically say if Lyon had the major say in recruiting policy and selection, but there was a obvious reluctance on his behalf to give youngsters a genuine opportunity. Players such as Geary, Steven, and Stanley should have been playing ahead of Peake, Polo, and Eddy. Does anyone truly believe that Eddy should have played ahead of Geary and Steven in grand finals????

Lyon knew it was the end of an era, having played a big part in stagnating the playing list (Peake, Polo, Smith, Pettison, and others). It was the perfect time o move on. He had huge debts due to bad investments, someone offered him 1.5 million up front, and he left the wreckage behind, leaving it to a new coach to pick up the pieces