Captain J. Geary 2014?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Austinnn
Club Player

Captain J. Geary 2014?

Just got a feeling about this guy. Remember seeing him when he was just some little tunk that looked like Steven Baker's understudy when he started with us. Since then, I've been nothing but impressed with the way he carries himself and communicates; noticed that he was doing the team talk in the video Jimmy Webster's Day Out, and nothing would surprise me less than him getting the gig after Rooey finally hands it over.

I don't think anyone could say he's a Reiwoldt-style captain, or even Lenny/Harvey style; I see him more as a Nathan Burke style leader. Hard nut, but no idiot. Not an elite player but becoming more and more consistent and calm. I can't say anything about Ben McEvoy, who everyone seems to think is the nailed-on successor to Rooey, but I can't think of anyone from outside the vets that would be more suitable as a future captain than our man Jerryn/Jaydn/Jerdnrynt/Jarryd/GEARS.

What are your thoughts?

PS Sorry if this has already been discussed, I haven't been on here much recently.

GO GEARS
GO SAINTS

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Captain J. Geary 2014?

Unm Roo is only 31 come 2014 and the calf blood or whatever he injects into his dodgy knee seems to be working a treat.

If we assume he is still a productive and worthy player for 2014 then there is zero reason to replace him as captain.

Rooey is a massive Saints icon. He's not our best ever player (that was plugger), but as player and club ambassador combined he's our best ever.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Rooy will captain next year if he wants it. I expect ben will captain next year if Rooy wants to stop.

Watts the Buzz
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Rooy will captain next year if he wants it. I expect ben will captain next year if Rooy wants to stop.
Agree that Mac is probably our next skipper but Sean Dempster would have to be in contention as well.

Beekay
SS Life Member

Ben will be too imposing not to make captain (eventually).

Geary's on field attitude is the best out there. He is drenched in the battle and is all about the team.

Riewoldt is such an immense player, that it doesn't matter that he flames teammates, throws his arms constantly in the air, scowls about, and expects to be the constant focal point (is it any wonder that him and BJ are good mates).

It's a blessing he is in form and showing young players what it takes, but his leadership comes through his talent and commitment, which has been great, but I'd love a changing of the guard. I'd like to be more ruthless, angry (at the opposition, not fellow players), and intimidating.

I like McEvoy because he's intelligent, imposing and probably our next champion.

I like Geary because he's a down and dirty battler, with boiling blood and a hard nose.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I think McEvoy. He reeks of leadership and has the wisdom of a wise old owl. You would follow him into battle.

That's an outsider's view though.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think Geary, that's of no surprise though ;). >>>>>>>

He has those moments when a game is in the line.

Ben is great, I just feel for KPP's as captains, so much pressure to perform already.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I think Geary, that's of no surprise though ;). >>>>>>>

Ben is great, I just feel for KPP's as captains, so much pressure to perform already.

It has really effected Rooy.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I think Geary, that's of no surprise though ;). >>>>>>>

Think it has at times.

Anyway, look at his record, a pretty once in a lifetime kind of player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Think it has at times.

Anyway, look at his record, a pretty once in a lifetime kind of player.
Just give it to the best leader. i dont think it matters where they play one little bit and a ruckman is an onballer anyway.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think jarryn would make a great captain and leader at this time.

Consistent effort, hard at the ball, good in front of the media and I think well respected by his peers...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I think jarryn would make a great captain and leader at this time.

Consistent effort, hard at the ball, good in front of the media and I think well respected by his peers...

Yep all the things ben has as well and ben has been in the leadership group a year longer.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well you give it to him next then, that's fine.

Austinn is asking about gears, and I agree with the sentiment of his post.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Well you give it to him next then, that's fine.

Austinn is asking about gears, and I agree with the sentiment of his post.

I didnt realise i was the only one who said someone else in this thread. I also didnt realise this thread was for only people who agree on geary. Well you can have geary. i dont care really because I cant see either of us having a say in it.

thequarry
Club Player

I don't know if he has enough presence to be a captain. I'm certainly not doubting his leadership qualities, but he tends to play an understated role in the side; when things get tough he's not going to be the guy to take the game by the scruff of the neck in the way a Roo or Selwood does. My tip for next captain is Big Ben (assuming his footy keeps improving) because of his physical presence around the ground and the stabilising influence he can have when drifting down back.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dunno about Captain
But hes going very very very well for pick 58 in the Rookie list. hats off to him and a def leader at the club now.
Jimmy Gwilt might give Captain a shake next year also.

lloyd21
Club Player

Agree with one thing he is now confident he belongs at the level now was not always hence credit to coach

Pureoctain
Club Player

I may be wrong, but isn't the system under Watters that the players vote for who will be made captain? If thats the case I cant really see them not voting for Nick next year again, just because of the respect he has at the club

#gosaintas
Club Player

I would make Big Boy captain at the end of the year. Rooey has had his time and I don't like him as an on field captain anyway. His antics when a ball misses him and his umpire pleading looks grate me. He's a star and maybe the lifting of the captaincy will help him. I have no doubt he's a leader on the track but the great captains just don't behave like he does. It feels un StKilda to say it but I don't think he should ever have been captain. Hayes should have lead this side.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:I would make Big Boy captain at the end of the year. Rooey has had his time and I don't like him as an on field captain anyway. His antics when a ball misses him and his umpire pleading looks grate me. He's a star and maybe the lifting of the captaincy will help him. I have no doubt he's a leader on the track but the great captains just don't behave like he does. It feels un StKilda to say it but I don't think he should ever have been captain. Hayes should have lead this side.

You been smoking?

Greg T
Club Player

Hayes would of been a great leader , as the players would do anything for him.
Roo is by far the best captain ,leads by the utmost example,and hopefully will led the side next year.
I would like to see who finishes the standout player at the end of the year to make a
Further assessment who has the capacity to lead the club after Roo.
Big decision given our new crop of young players.

Maybe Armitage could be a smokey .

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

All Gears needs is a bit of goal sense !

He's become a great on field leader so the captaincy could be on the cards .

In red white and black from 73
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

thequarry wrote:I don't know if he has enough presence to be a captain. I'm certainly not doubting his leadership qualities, but he tends to play an understated role in the side; when things get tough he's not going to be the guy to take the game by the scruff of the neck in the way a Roo or Selwood does. My tip for next captain is Big Ben (assuming his footy keeps improving) because of his physical presence around the ground and the stabilising influence he can have when drifting down back.
plenty of captains don't take the game by the scruff

Do you remember Stewie Maxfield, big influence in changing the culture at Sydney, but certainly no champ

Game changers ? Glass,HarleyAdam Simpson, Newman do I need to give more

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I thought this week was Big macs first dominant game where he willed the win through individual performance. Gears always plays like a captain and reminds me of Paul Kelly from Sydney. Either and Dempster look capable.

PJ
SS Life Member

#gosaintas wrote:I would make Big Boy captain at the end of the year. Rooey has had his time and I don't like him as an on field captain anyway. His antics when a ball misses him and his umpire pleading looks grate me. He's a star and maybe the lifting of the captaincy will help him. I have no doubt he's a leader on the track but the great captains just don't behave like he does. It feels un StKilda to say it but I don't think he should ever have been captain. Hayes should have lead this side.
Are you seriously suggesting that taking the captaincy off Nick will make him a better player? and your other statement "I don't think he should ever have been captain" WTF

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.