Captain J. Geary 2014?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Captain J. Geary 2014?

Maybe we'll have a rotational system of captains like we did under GT. I wasn't a big fan of it to tell you the truth, but it did give several a run at the job and Watters reckons he wants to develop, "a critical mass of leaders."

My 2 bobs worth. Give it to McEvoy when Roo steps aside.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Austinnn wrote:Just got a feeling about this guy. Remember seeing him when he was just some little tunk that looked like Steven Baker's understudy when he started with us. Since then, I've been nothing but impressed with the way he carries himself and communicates; noticed that he was doing the team talk in the video Jimmy Webster's Day Out, and nothing would surprise me less than him getting the gig after Rooey finally hands it over.

I don't think anyone could say he's a Reiwoldt-style captain, or even Lenny/Harvey style; I see him more as a Nathan Burke style leader. Hard nut, but no idiot. Not an elite player but becoming more and more consistent and calm. I can't say anything about Ben McEvoy, who everyone seems to think is the nailed-on successor to Rooey, but I can't think of anyone from outside the vets that would be more suitable as a future captain than our man Jerryn/Jaydn/Jerdnrynt/Jarryd/GEARS.

What are your thoughts?

PS Sorry if this has already been discussed, I haven't been on here much recently.

GO GEARS
GO SAINTS
I think its to early for him to be captain yet.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SuperDuper
Club Player

Transition to new captain next year IMO... free up Roo a little.... but keep him around to take a little pressure off the new captain.
I recon Macavoy is the right age and can hopefully lead us back up the ladder in 3-4 years

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

on current form - the only way roo wont be skipper is if he doesnt agree to be a candidate.
i think roo might make his own call on this.

in which case it comes down to nds, mac, gears and gwilt.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:on current form - the only way roo wont be skipper is if he doesnt agree to be a candidate.
i think roo might make his own call on this.

in which case it comes down to nds, mac, gears and gwilt.
I remember him saying early last year "ideally I won't be captain in 2013" hoping that someone would be ready to take over (probably thinking BJ)

I don't reckon he'd mind handing the captaincy over if we have someone suitable.

I think you need a bit of star quality in your captain, I love Gears but he is fairly blue collar, doesn't strike me as a media performer which is really needed to market the club. Ben looks most likely at this stage, but still doesn't seem ideal really... Not sure why though. Newnes looks like a potential captain down the track I think.

kimberly saint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:I would make Big Boy captain at the end of the year. Rooey has had his time and I don't like him as an on field captain anyway. His antics when a ball misses him and his umpire pleading looks grate me. He's a star and maybe the lifting of the captaincy will help him. I have no doubt he's a leader on the track but the great captains just don't behave like he does. It feels un StKilda to say it but I don't think he should ever have been captain. Hayes should have lead this side.

You been smoking?

#gosaintas
Club Player

PJ wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:I would make Big Boy captain at the end of the year. Rooey has had his time and I don't like him as an on field captain anyway. His antics when a ball misses him and his umpire pleading looks grate me. He's a star and maybe the lifting of the captaincy will help him. I have no doubt he's a leader on the track but the great captains just don't behave like he does. It feels un StKilda to say it but I don't think he should ever have been captain. Hayes should have lead this side.
Are you seriously suggesting that taking the captaincy off Nick will make him a better player? and your other statement "I don't think he should ever have been captain" WTF

I don't think it will make him a better player but I think it will help him relax a bit onfield. Maybe he won't feel the need to look pleadingly to the umpires for help or flap his arms around at his teamates when the ball doesn 't go where he wants it to. He is a StKilda champion but I don't think he should ever have been captain. Big Mac for mine.

thequarry
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:
thequarry wrote:I don't know if he has enough presence to be a captain. I'm certainly not doubting his leadership qualities, but he tends to play an understated role in the side; when things get tough he's not going to be the guy to take the game by the scruff of the neck in the way a Roo or Selwood does. My tip for next captain is Big Ben (assuming his footy keeps improving) because of his physical presence around the ground and the stabilising influence he can have when drifting down back.
plenty of captains don't take the game by the scruff

Do you remember Stewie Maxfield, big influence in changing the culture at Sydney, but certainly no champ

Game changers ? Glass,HarleyAdam Simpson, Newman do I need to give more
Those guys aren't/weren't necessarily "game changers" but have a real presence, even a stabilising presence about them that I'm not sure Geary quite has.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Glass Simpson and Newman are not what i would call great captains either ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Austinnn
Club Player

Disagree about media presence, I remember being quite impressed when I've heard him speak publicly. But compared to a few of his teammates, most people sound like Rhodes scholars.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

A Bruce Monteath type. Inspiring captains performance in the 1980 GF.

A few KP captains, who did ok, without thinking too much.

Carey
Kernahan
Brown
Daniher
Hall
Treadrea
Baldock
Harley
Glass
Frawley

That took 60 seconds.

Saintsational Legend

Ling was a premiership captain so was nick maxwell so was jared mcveigh.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Nick Riewoldt is inspirational.

Simple as that.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I wonder who the leaders are amongst the playing group, do "we" on here know for a fact or are "we" just having a pot shot at what might eventuate...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Another non opinion brought to you by Bob Murray enterprises.

Retire in grace Bob or at least stay away from the interwebs FFS.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Another non opinion brought to you by Bob Murray enterprises.

Maybe you could take your own advice and stay away...just to improve overall footy knowledge and board quality..

I don't think anyone cares for your contributions...well.. except for yourself

always_a_saint
Club Player

Geary seems to rate himself for next year based on the interview with Schneider... ;)

will always be a saint...no matter what.

bring home that premiership boys
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

always_a_saint wrote:Geary seems to rate himself for next year based on the interview with Schneider... ;)
OK.. Let's see what next year brings......He'll have his hands elsewhere next year if he isn't captain

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

A classic case of somebody who watches the games on the radio. The comment of something you check the oil level in your car with.

Saint supporter since '62
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Nuh...not yet

Dal and Chips are next in line but there's one bloke miles ahead in the leadership stakes and he should stay as captain for at least one more year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Nuh...not yet

Dal and Chips are next in line but there's one bloke miles ahead in the leadership stakes and he should stay as captain for at least one more year.

If Dal or Chips coach then its a backward step. We should have Rooy if that is the case. Anyway Rooy keeps it until he doesnt want it. That maybe next year IMO and then it goes to the best young guy.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Another non opinion brought to you by Bob Murray enterprises.

Maybe you could take your own advice and stay away...just to improve overall footy knowledge and board quality..

I don't think anyone cares for your contributions...well.. except for yourself
Nice

NOTTHATAWKWARD
Club Player

Keep Roo for a few more seasons, deserves to go out as the leader he is. Would rather Geary or Armitage over Big Boy.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I wonder who the leaders are amongst the playing group, do "we" on here know for a fact or are "we" just having a pot shot at what might eventuate...
Considering there is a leadership group and young leadership group (or whatever it's called) I reckon "we" know for a fact who the leaders in the club are.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Still not convinced on Ben to be honest, Geary far more consistent