Milne, Saad or Milera

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

Re: Milne, Saad or Milera

Teflon wrote:If you aint kicking goals defensive pressure and locking the ball into fwd 50 ought to be non negotiable. Said it a housand times, we cant continue carrying players who offer nothing defensively and who only play 1 position.

Make no mistake - 1 of these will bob up against lowly Dogs next week and kick a few.........many will be seduced by this......its papering overing massive cracks.

Play a young kid/mid fwd, keep Saad (only 1 who tackles) and spell Milera/Milne. FWIW at this stage of his career Id be calling curtains on Milne interstate again - has rarely done a thing interstate.

Time to get serious about the "refresh" cany carry 3 small fwds who dont bring pressure.
Roo hasn't had a tackle in the past 2 weeks

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:He's not really a "small", and he's not even on the senior list, but Shenton's the one I would like to see in there.

Pace, goal sense and a bit of toughness.

Maybe we need to make this happen.
Hes come out of nowhere - but heck maybe we try Shenton down fwd.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Playing 3 small forwards who cannot rotate through the midfield is exactly why we get run over in the 2nd half of games. Milera must go, he is all flash bu no substance, Saad needs to lean to do the basics better. At this stage Milne is still our best option but we need to play 2 other guys that can run through the middle, Curren, Murdoch, Saunders are the most likely at the moment. Not convinced with Dunnell

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Roo, Hickey or Maister? We're getting more out of our smalls than our talls right now. Only Roo has been much of a contributor at all. Saad had as many marks inside fifty as Hickey and Maister did. If there's anything wrong with our forward structure right now, it's our coaches obsessive commitment to lumbering talls who do nothing.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
Teflon wrote:If you aint kicking goals defensive pressure and locking the ball into fwd 50 ought to be non negotiable. Said it a housand times, we cant continue carrying players who offer nothing defensively and who only play 1 position.

Make no mistake - 1 of these will bob up against lowly Dogs next week and kick a few.........many will be seduced by this......its papering overing massive cracks.

Play a young kid/mid fwd, keep Saad (only 1 who tackles) and spell Milera/Milne. FWIW at this stage of his career Id be calling curtains on Milne interstate again - has rarely done a thing interstate.

Time to get serious about the "refresh" cany carry 3 small fwds who dont bring pressure.
Roo hasn't had a tackle in the past 2 weeks
Good point - I'd drop him........ FFS!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Lets face it - Maister ain't the answer....

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Lets face it - Maister ain't the answer....
It will be interesting to see if Watters persists with Beau. He's obviously a hard worker, gives us some structure and does his role for the team, but he's not going to be part of our next finals side. I couldn't see him kicking more than 35 goals in a full season at FF and there's not much scope for improvement.

We could continue to play him, knowing he's good for 2-3 goals against bottom sides and that he'll at least take some pressure off Riewoldt against better sides, or; we could decide that he's never quite going to be up to it and use Siposs/Lee/Hickey/White as our second target for the rest of the year.

70s sainter
Club Player

Put sipposs back in the forward line and leave him there. I liked him there a couple of weeks ago. Perfect third tall player.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Saad is the first to go IMO... Really has no idea how to actually get the ball... The 1-2 goals a game is papering over the Grand Canyon size cracks in his game...

I think Milne still has a bit to offer, and in terms of comparisons with Saad is way ahead.. Milney seems to be working very slowly into the season, but still may hit hi straps in the 2nd half of the year...

But for mine, Milera is the one to persist with... And only him for the moment... As poor as Wilkes was, we need his size and contesting ability..

I'd drop Saad for a mid in Curren or Ledger (Wright when his right to return to the HBF), and Milne given a few weeks back to the VFL for Lee or Shenton...

Sip to play permanent forward line, high half forward..

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Saad is the first to go IMO... Really has no idea how to actually get the ball... The 1-2 goals a game is papering over the Grand Canyon size cracks in his game...

I think Milne still has a bit to offer, and in terms of comparisons with Saad is way ahead.. Milney seems to be working very slowly into the season, but still may hit hi straps in the 2nd half of the year...
I find that a little unusual…
They have basically the same amount of disposals… similar goals, but Saad has 22 tackles to Milnes 5.

Also, although they both have kicked 2 goals in the last couple of games, 3/4 of Saad's have been long range impressive kicks… 3/4 of Milnes have been goal square gift-type stuff.

I expect the 265 game 33YO to be well ahead of the 24 game 23YO. If their output is similar we have a lot more to gain than playing the younger guy surely?

People love to spruik Milne's 2 goals per game average, but Saad has 39 goals from his first 24 games… while he's been down this year no doubt, he offers a lot more pressure IMO.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Saad is the first to go IMO... Really has no idea how to actually get the ball... The 1-2 goals a game is papering over the Grand Canyon size cracks in his game...

I find that a little unusual…
They have basically the same amount of disposals… similar goals, but Saad has 22 tackles to Milnes 5.

Also, although they both have kicked 2 goals in the last couple of games, 3/4 of Saad's have been long range impressive kicks… 3/4 of Milnes have been goal square gift-type stuff.

I expect the 265 game 33YO to be well ahead of the 24 game 23YO. If their output is similar we have a lot more to gain than playing the younger guy surely?

People love to spruik Milne's 2 goals per game average, but Saad has 39 goals from his first 24 games… while he's been down this year no doubt, he offers a lot more pressure IMO.
Fair points..

I feel both do not warrant a place in the side at the moment... Both their output is below par...

Milne has the runs on the board, and I expect his upside, even this year, to be far higher than Saad..

I felt Saad's season last year was a bit of a false dawn.. Very fortuitous on many occasions.. He does have some good attributes, but I have serious doubts on his football brain, and improving this is very tough...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

If you wanna win games then it's clearly Milne over Saad, blind freddy could see that but if you want to prepare for the future then play Saad into some sort of form.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:If you wanna win games then it's clearly Milne over Saad, blind freddy could see that but if you want to prepare for the future then play Saad into some sort of form.
Blind freddy told me we are 2 - 6, milne & saad both kicked 3 in our 2 wins… and milne lays a tackle about every second week.

Do you reckon preparing for the future is more important than playing old favourites at this stage?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
The Fireman wrote:If you wanna win games then it's clearly Milne over Saad, blind freddy could see that but if you want to prepare for the future then play Saad into some sort of form.
Blind freddy told me we are 2 - 6, milne & saad both kicked 3 in our 2 wins… and milne lays a tackle about every second week.

Do you reckon preparing for the future is more important than playing old favourites at this stage?
Did Blind Freddy tell you Saad is more valuable than Milne atm and you would pick Saad over Milne ? I get the feeling you don't really have much communication with Blind Freddy.

and do I reckon preparing for the future is more important than playing old favourites at this stage? well personally I like to win games and if keeping a champ like Milne in to do it, so be it.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
dragit wrote:

Did Blind Freddy tell you Saad is more valuable than Milne atm and you would pick Saad over Milne ? I get the feeling you don't really have much communication with Blind Freddy.

and do I reckon preparing for the future is more important than playing old favourites at this stage? well personally I like to win games and if keeping a champ like Milne in to do it, so be it.
But Milne hasn't done one thing more than Saad to help us win a game this year so far has he?

They've both been equally very ordinary this year, I'll take the one ten years younger who tackles. To be honest, they could all easily be dropped really.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: To be honest, they could all easily be dropped really.
the way we are going it probably wouldn't make much of a diff. Play the youngens , short term pain, long term gain.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

People are expecting a lot from a guy with under 50 games at the highest level. He will be good long term just be patient. Milne is teaching Saad on the job so while it's frustrating wih too many small forward we will have some fast tracked ones in the future.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
The Fireman wrote:… and milne lays a tackle about every second week.
He lays heaps more than that. The only problem is it's always in the back to the other guy when he tackles (whether it was or not). Him and Kosi just give away too many free kicks every week.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
dragit wrote:

Blind Freddy told me thats not winning games.....just hanging on to past glories......grab a Springsteen album...he talks about it...

“Yeah….nah””
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Kosi. Milne. Saad. Milera.
Have shown in the past, that they can really fire.
But not the RECENT past.
Whatever happened to the cliche "you're only as good as your last game"?
If they keep underperforming, then why the feck do they get picked?
Nostalgia? Yeah, Meatloaf's "Bat Outta Hell" was great, so let's get him to sing live and omg what a surprise.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
groupie1
Club Player

Yeah, agreed. I'd keep Milne and Saad. Milne is a proven performer, in a second slow-start year; proven goalkicking smarts. Saad mixes playing a lead-up forward and a crumbing one, and should improve. His ball handling at ground needs work. He tackles. He has pace. Stick with him. And I agree to use the other spot for another midfield rotator. I might reckon the pace of Saunders would be good in the forward line; and an easy way to get lots of game time into a first year player.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I remember Jack Steven started as a small forward and kept getting in Milne's way however, in my mind, that meant he was running to the right spots. I've seen the same sort of thing from both Saad and Milera at times getting in other players way so maybe that means they are running to the right spots.

The only drawback is that they seem to only be small forwards and can't rotate through the midfield.

I agree with the view of only 2 small forwards (at the most) with midfielders rotating through the forward line with newer players maybe taking up that role.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
hAyES
Club Player

Milne and Saad for now. Eventually, just Saad.

BadRossco
Club Player

I agree that Curren deserves a go , problem is that he is a rookie and will need to promoted onto the playing list, the same applies to Shenton and Minchington. Dunell was the only promotion as far as I know.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I think we play too many stay at home small forwards who get outbodied and brushed aside too easily.
One (at least) should be dropped.
TDL was a waste of a pick... as he can't play in the midfield.

What we really need, I think, is 2 mobile, mid sized half forwards - around 85-90 kgs, 185 -190 cms who can take say 2-3 contested inside 50 marks each, to complement things (and who can get their 15 possessions each).
Maybe Shenton , Dunnell, Murdoch along with Siposs should be considered for this role?

2 small forwards who can also play in the midfield would be great... Ledger at least can do that. I know he needs to improve his kicking (he rushes and panics) - but the point is he can play midfield.
Maybe Curren should be considered as well, for this reason .. but I think Minchington looks more lively and the better prospect, as a forward.
We need to promote some players off the rookie list.