Sydney's salary cap concession

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jimmy_slats
Club Player

Re: Sydney's salary cap concession

is it comparable though? it should be the same for the highest paid to the lowest paid if they want to call it a cost of living expense.

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jimmy_slats wrote:is it comparable though? it should be the same for the highest paid to the lowest paid if they want to call it a cost of living expense.

Apparently is from what their CEO said on SEN one day.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
jimmy_slats wrote:is it comparable though? it should be the same for the highest paid to the lowest paid if they want to call it a cost of living expense.

Apparently is from what their CEO said on SEN one day.
You believe that story plugs?

Few on here do.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The clubs voted to prop Sydney up in 1992 knowing full well that it meant that the AFL would run Sydney as it's pet project/love child. But I think after two flags and a decade and a half of success they need to drop some of these concessions, like they did with Brisbane. For pete's sake some of the kids that go to Sydney are on corporate packages that CEOs would be happy with.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Rosco
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
suss wrote:While I agree that they don't need it, they deserve credit for excellent drafting and canny recruiting. Half the team is made up of 'rejects' for Pete's sake.

On the flip side of the salary cap concession argument, shouldn't Geelong and the Adelaide teams have lower salary caps? Ah, another of Demetriou's unanswerable questions ...

I'd argue the other way for obvious reasons.
emotional cost of living there? you could make an argument for an unlimited cap for Adelaide

Turbo
Club Player

Does the NRL reduce Melbourne's Storm salary cap? Just asking.

Some time soon.
older saint
SS Life Member

IF it is really a cost of living allowance and not an AFL Sydney must be competitive allowance then to me Sydney should have to apply it across salary cap evenly. i.e. theyhave the same cap as everyone else across the list. Once this is finalised then the additional Million is split proportionately across the salary cap . So if Goodes gets 5% of the cap then he gets 5% of the allowance. That way it stops Sydney recruiting Tippett types - that is of course if it is a cost of living allowance !

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:IF it is really a cost of living allowance and not an AFL Sydney must be competitive allowance then to me Sydney should have to apply it across salary cap evenly. i.e. theyhave the same cap as everyone else across the list. Once this is finalised then the additional Million is split proportionately across the salary cap . So if Goodes gets 5% of the cap then he gets 5% of the allowance. That way it stops Sydney recruiting Tippett types - that is of course if it is a cost of living allowance !
That makes no sense. So your theory is that they negotiate with players and say $300k, then everyone is surprised when that turns into $350k after the allowance is applied?

Nope. The way it would work is just that a $300k player would negotiate $260k then end up with $300k. Makes no difference.