Our season begins on September 29th

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Our season begins on September 29th

That is the day after the Grand Final and we head into the post season trade and draft periods.

If Mitch Brown doesn't get a game at West Coast, and doesn't injure himself or something better shows up, expect that to be a very early deal.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our season begins on September 29th

3rd generation saint wrote:That is the day after the Grand Final and we head into the post season trade and draft periods.

If Mitch Brown doesn't get a game at West Coast, and doesn't injure himself or something better shows up, expect that to be a very early deal.

i have said this many times but if he isnt getting a game with them then why do we want a seconds player. Surely 6 years at a club gives you time to establish yourself.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:That is the day after the Grand Final and we head into the post season trade and draft periods.

i have said this many times but if he isnt getting a game with them then why do we want a seconds player. Surely 6 years at a club gives you time to establish yourself.
Agreed. We either recruit players that want to play and will play or we just hoard draft picks for youngens with potential trades.

We cannot become a club that takes proven poor players.

If that were the case we might as well sign up Clinton Jones for another 3 seasons.

spot on
Club Player

Hopefully brown is cheap or free, otherwise I would rather get some young mids. I'm looking forward to trade/ free agent period. Should have lots of money to throw around. Just hope we go for some proven young players not just players that have potential

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I'm off to take a BEX and have a lie down. I can't be well. I find myself agreeing with plugger :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

spot on
Club Player

Anyone know how Matt Watson is going from the blues, early draft pick that isn't getting a go as a full back

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

He's played 6 games already this year !

He's only averaging 9 disposals a game and hasn't been in WC best in any of those games .
Yesterday he played forward and back , kicking 2 points .
I wouldn't want to give up to much for him . WC will probably want a second round pick which if we stay where we are will be low 20s .
Looking at his form , he's not worth that .

In red white and black from 73
SuperDuper
Club Player

Get Brown in pre-season draft or not at all.. preferably the latter...
He is not going to add anything to the age bracket where we are already weak and we need to write that era off... recruit only 21 and under

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

He is out of contract, so we could pick him up cheap, maybe trade Jones back to WA :lol:

doggerel
Club Player

Brown will be part of a deal to Geelong for Harry Taylor, surely. I reckon that played a big part in the Eagles determination to keep Brown at the end of last year. We need to look elsewhere/

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It's a Bex for me too. It's like the sudden interest in Jack Watts. Yes players sometimes do improve at a different club but I reckon it's a low percentage recruiting policy. Possibly only a good thing if you get em cheaply.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

September 29th? Which year?

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:It's a Bex for me too. It's like the sudden interest in Jack Watts. Yes players sometimes do improve at a different club but I reckon it's a low percentage recruiting policy. Possibly only a good thing if you get em cheaply.
Tom Lynch?

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Rhys Stanley will be a success down back and Jackson Ferguson is developing nicely, so I wonder if a key defender is high priority, particularly at the price Brown may command. We're in more need of a big gorilla of a forward (Gumbleton???) and midfielders/runners and more midfielders/runners.

lloyd21
Club Player

Brown is coming home family here (mother ) is telling everyone her son is coming home.
Not saying he will play at Saints but is coming home.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Brown is coming home family here (mother ) is telling everyone her son is coming home.
Not saying he will play at Saints but is coming home.
have heard the same thing over here in WA over the last week ... word is he has made up his mind on going home but at the same time does not want to screw over WCE so he will ask to be traded not walk out ... so hope of picking him up for nothing are not going to happen in my opinion he will be traded to the club WCE can get the best deal out of , he has no preferance

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not feeling great about brown still, hopefully something better presents itself.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed
what has he done??
hasnt had the chance to cement himself in a side and has played bugger all afl level

i thought people might prefer frawley

mohannair
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Plugger, Roberton was also in the same boat at the Dockers, he turned out to be great pick up. I am not saying that Brown will also be a gem but you never know.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Brown will cost a lot more than Roberton has .... and to that Roberton in my opinion was performing better then Brown in the WAFL last year ....

Brown in my opinion will be a good player he just needs some consistant games at AFL level he hasnt got that a WCE so what ever team he does go to will see a major improvment on what he has shown so far in his AFL carreer ... does that mean we should pay overs to get him ??? i dont think so not with where we are at

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Wow I'm excited.

Let's get Brown.

He could be another Meister :roll:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Wow I'm excited.

Let's get Brown.

bit of a differance between the two ... Beau is a tad older and he was caught in that zone of being too good for WAFL footy but not good enough for AFL realistically we picked beau knowing that as he came was the best he was going to offer little to no room for improvement ... Brown has much more scope for improvement and its more the peers he has in the WCE team being further ahead then him that keeps him out , in my opinion if Brown was to get a run of say 7 or 8 games of consistant AFL footy you would see him be a much better player then he currently is ... who ever picks him up will be getting a player , the question is at what price ...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Wow I'm excited.

Let's get Brown.

bit of a differance between the two ... Beau is a tad older and he was caught in that zone of being too good for WAFL footy but not good enough for AFL realistically we picked beau knowing that as he came was the best he was going to offer little to no room for improvement ... Brown has much more scope for improvement and its more the peers he has in the WCE team being further ahead then him that keeps him out , in my opinion if Brown was to get a run of say 7 or 8 games of consistant AFL footy you would see him be a much better player then he currently is ... who ever picks him up will be getting a player , the question is at what price ...

He has had a pretty good run this year in games terms and still only averages 9 pssessions a game not that is the main thing for a stopper but you do need some run out of the backline. He will be 25 next year in his 7th season of AFL and is trending downward going by most indicators. He would want to be cheap and even then he is probably more likely to not make it than make it.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

he is in his 7thyear but i think it was two of those years were taken by injury.... a backline like WCE is a pretty drilled unit and work as a team inside the team they are a pretty solid group so it isnt suprising to see him not really gel straight up with that ... i was talking to a WCE supporter about brown just after we failed in getting him this year and he made mention that the in one week out the next week role he has puts a lot of undue pressure on him and takes away from him actually playing his natural game , basically put he spends so much time trying hard to not do something that is going to get him dropped he ends up doing nothing. i somewhat agree with that put brown in a team with a developing back line or a suspect backline even a rubish back line where his only job is to defend without the pressure of knowing regardless of what you do your going to be replaced once **** comes back ....

not saying Brown will be the next SOS but he will be a handy player for whoever gets him ... most felt Dawson would never make it either but i think most of us would take him back now ?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Will be interesting to get a read on where the club thinks we are at. If they honestly believe we are 3 years away from a flag tilt then they are likely to offer up big. If they think its 5 years then that makes him 29-30 and the appetite diminishes

Personally I think he will end up as a part of a trade for a WA boy keen to go home. No idea which club but not likely us.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.