Is McEvoy injured?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Is McEvoy injured?

Just wondering how he can have such a dramatic drop in form.
Played a very good game 2 weeks ago against Carlton (albeit still flogged in hitouts)
But now 2 weeks in a row he has really struggled.
Hickey who is still learning the game had more hitouts in less game time, they both had 4 marks this week.

When you are the number #1 ruckman, there is nowhere to hide if your form drops… at this rate I would not like to see McEvoy as our next captain, becomes a real complication if Hickey starts vying for #1 ruck duties but we can't drop a player because he is the captain.

I'm sure McEvoy has plenty of improvement left in him, but the last 2 weeks have shown us that he does not play consistent enough football to be the captain yet… same goes for Armitage unfortunately. Maybe Geary is the next best at this stage… he's no star, but he's very consistent, leads by example every week.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is McEvoy injured?

I don't think so

Was just well beaten

Against a very good tap ruckman he is going to struggle, came up against two in a row

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Teams are structuring up to counter him after the Carlton game. They refuse to kick the ball deep to where he is positioned at all costs.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I don't think so

Was just well beaten

Against a very good tap ruckman he is going to struggle, came up against two in a row
Bit of a worry, our number # 1 ruckmen is no good against quality tap ruckmen… it's not as though there are only one or two, it will happen every second week.

Goldstein, Minson, Jamar, Warnock, Leuenberger, Cox, Naitanui, Pyke, Mumford, Jacobs, Bellchambers, Maric, Jolly… it goes on

I wonder if this is the real reason we went so hard to secure Hickey, who is clearly more a ruck than a forward… why else would we part with such a high pick?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Teams are structuring up to counter him after the Carlton game. They refuse to kick the ball deep to where he is positioned at all costs.
So he's a good player as long as the opposition kick it long to him in our back line? Not going to happen many weeks…

Carlton were playing like under 11's I reckon.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

That's why I've been critical dragit, he is not supposed to be thriving in the backline.

I also can't understand the calls for him to be captain, would be very unfair to him at this point in his career.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
CURLY wrote:Teams are structuring up to counter him after the Carlton game. They refuse to kick the ball deep to where he is positioned at all costs.
So he's a good player as long as the opposition kick it long to him in our back line? Not going to happen many weeks…

Carlton were playing like under 11's I reckon.

No Im just commenting about his drop in numbers. Collingwood really struggled with there ball movement with Ben back there and Carlton also did. The last two games it has been noticable the way Adel and WB have kicked into the forward line.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Lacks aggression when he is getting clobbered - just concedes !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
sainters4eva
Club Player

Is 2nd in the player ratings for Rucks, after Nic Nat, although trending downwards.