Adam Goodes should promote the King Kong musical

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Adam Goodes should promote the King Kong musical

It shows how backward Australia really is to the point that it's embarrasing.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:It shows how backward Australia really is to the point that it's embarrasing.

I think it is a bit unfair that the whole of Australia are all lumped in togther.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I don't believe in evolution though Carl...
That's your choice, but it can be proven scientifically that we share the same lineage with the other apes. For a start we share more than 99 per cent of the same DNA as chimps, our closest extant relatives.

bergsone
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
That's your choice, but it can be proven scientifically that we share the same lineage with the other apes. For a start we share more than 99 per cent of the same DNA as chimps, our closest extant relatives.

Chimp wasnt that B.Skilton nick name,wonder how he feels about that?

saint6
Club Player

Scollop wrote:
twirlyhair wrote: We do not understand the anger, the shame, the frustration, the bitterness and sorrow of what was taken from indigenous Australians.
We can't even be honest enough to call it "slavery": like black folks just loved the idea of working on cattle stations seven days a week so they could get some beans and flour and see their daughters raped on weekends.
We said "sorry", but for what? Crippling your culture? Raping your women? Murdering your children? Ingraining shame into your upbringing?

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/executive-styl ... z2UgJ20eBj
He left out a couple of important facts; The fact that most people here in Australia were brought up in racist households. Most peoples mums and dads here in Australia were racist. Yes! Your great grandparents, your nanna and pop and most Australians mums and dads were racist. Our institutions were racist, our leaders in government were racist.

Speak for yourself. Not all australians were brought up in racist households.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Chimp wasnt that B.Skilton nick name,wonder how he feels about that?

Why would he care?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:It shows how backward Australia really is to the point that it's embarrasing.

I think it is a bit unfair that the whole of Australia are all lumped in togther.
Maybe, but it's reality. Our politicians and business leaders don't help. Weather they mean to or not, they continue to stoke the fires; and we're supposed to be part of the new Asian Centuary.

Then there is the issue of how we're percieved overseas. Imagine being a visitor from the US or Asia and turning on SEN and listening to the on air debate of weather or not being called an ape is rasict?

BakesFan
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Nice post Bakesfan.

Puts into perspective that racism is an anachronism and astonishingly ignorant when it is revealed that every human on earth has virtually the same gene makup.

Race is indeed skin deep only.

Which puts in perspective calling an Australian aboriginal an ape. It is to assert he is a less of a human than the non ape humans i.e. the tribe the racist abuser hails from.

You have encapulated the whole argument. All humans of all so called races are almost EXACTLY the same. European, Arabs, Africans, Indians, Asians, American and Australian Indigeneous, Pacific Islander, Eskimo, etc etc etc.

We are all genetically the same.
I'm going out on a limb here..... Is pointing out someone's physical attributes necessarily racist...or just plain rude??

It's probably been mentioned here before...but where does the constant barrage that Jason Dunstall receives (in relation to his gorilla-like appearance) fit in??..

....In general I think it's pretty rude and disrespectful, and it's probably way past it's 'use-by' date...but there has been the odd occasion when I've had a giggle at some of footage that's been shown.....so what am I to make of myself?....should I be ashamed for having a sense of humour on those occasions?.....
... If I were to ever meet Dunstall there's no way I'd mention such a thing....and without being a sycophant, I'd probably just tell him that I admired his playing career and I enjoy his contributions in the media......... but he sorta does look like a big gorilla at times. :?

There was a girl at high school that a lot of folk used to call, "Horse" because she truly did have very equine facial features and mane-like hair. She took it well....actually took pride in it...and it was more a term of endearment rather than a derogatory insult....she was happy to let folk know that, "My friends call me 'Horse' "

So, in that vein, I have to admit that I have always thought that Adam Goodes does have 'chimp-like' facial features.....again, If I were to meet him I would never say such a thing to him personally as I do think he's an absolute champion of the game, and a fantastic ambassador for his club..
..In no way do I think he's 'sub-human'..........but for some reason my brain has made the connection that Goodes' facial features are a bit 'chimp-like'.....

If that offends anyone I'm truly sorry, but I am trying to be as open and honest as I can in the hope that it will encourage more dialogue on the subject.

by the way...just saw an ad on National Geographic channel about an upcoming program call "Ape Man" which supposedly highlights the behavioural similarities between humans and their simian cousins.........
....it'll be interesting to see how ape-like I truly am.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saint6 wrote: Speak for yourself. Not all australians were brought up in racist households.
I'm sure that's true. I reckon what he's getting at is the dominant cultural attitudes rather than any individual.
My parents for example would have been shocked and gone into immediate denial at any suggestion they were racist. But they were. I was too as a teenager. Grew up insulting Nick Kirkilis, Anand Kulkarni and other guys at school for no other reason than where they were from. I'm talking mid-70's here. It was all just regarded as good fun. Normal. The dominant attitude was to tolerate people of other races but still regard them as not quite Australian and having less status.
That attitude runs deep and is still alive and well in Australia today. It's world wide, not just in Australia. You only have to look at the rise of the nationalist right in France, Germany, the UK, Netherlands, Greece and other Euro countries to see that fear of difference and xenophobia are deep rooted the world over.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
To me it's very clear that we evolved from apes. The scientific evidence is overwhelming. Can't really understand how people can continue to deny it based on any religious teachings. But that's a whole other debate worthy of a whole other thread and not on the footy forum.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saint6 wrote:
Scollop wrote: He left out a couple of important facts; The fact that most people here in Australia were brought up in racist households. Most peoples mums and dads here in Australia were racist. Yes! Your great grandparents, your nanna and pop and most Australians mums and dads were racist. Our institutions were racist, our leaders in government were racist.
Speak for yourself. Not all australians were brought up in racist households.
Life Long Saint summed things up well; "DEHUMANISING is not solely the realm of race based insults. Terms like dogs, pigs and maggots among others have been used to categorise many minority groups over time.

Once again (from the top)...Vilifying someone based on race, religion, sexual persuasion, culture, gender, it doesn't matter. They are all based on the belief that one person is superior to another.
That is the crux of the issue."

What many fail to understand is that apartheid in South Africa and the treatment of indigenous people by Australian government policies pre 1970 was born out of a strong belief in white man's hearts and minds that they were doing the right thing to protect the white citizens. The governments and the leaders did not believe that they were doing anything wrong and they had the backing of the church and other powerful institutions in society. They were righteous as far as they were concerned.

Now in answer to saint6: Not all 'australians' can read and understand facts. Not all australians can think for themselves.

If the world you live in is governed by racist laws and the government tells you that it is the right thing to do to be racist as was the case for most of us in the 50's and 60's, and if that is how you live your life because your parents and grandparents also live their lives this way, and if society teaches its citizens that they are superior to other humans and that they are protecting their society by being racist, then what do you think most ordinary people will do - they will be racist. It'll take a few years before we change that thinking

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Now in answer to saint6: Not all 'australians' can read and understand facts. Not all australians can think for themselves.

If the world you live in is governed by racist laws and the government tells you that it is the right thing to do to be racist as was the case for most of us in the 50's and 60's, and if that is how you live your life because your parents and grandparents also live their lives this way, and if society teaches its citizens that they are superior to other humans and that they are protecting their society by being racist, then what do you think most ordinary people will do - they will be racist. It'll take a few years before we change that thinking

Agree. Well said.

twirlyhair
Club Player

st.byron wrote:Not going to re-quote your whole post Twirly, but wow, great post. Passionate and from your guts. And spot-on about how casually racism is overlooked and condoned in Australia.

Sorry but i didnt write it! Cut and pasted it from The Age and the headervwas left off! Sam Debrito article. I take no credit, just posted it as Itvwas relevant to the discussion. Sorry for any confusion or for any one being misled.

The_Merchant
Club Player

Well said, Life long saint.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Greg T
Club Player

Unpatriotic ,
Maybe you could move to a more progressive society such as=
Afghanistan , Iran,Iraq,Vietnam ,or any other Muslim country.
What a load of bullocks ...
Australia...love it or leave it.....

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Some of the people on here have no concept of the cultural history that makes racism hurt more than other name calling. I have a relative who is part aboriginal and know the shame he experienced by something he should be proud of.

I remember seeing a show where they got a white couple and an Aboriginal couple go to a real estate agent and the Aboriginals were told there were no properties for lease while the white people were offered several.

I also knew a guy back in the 1990s who had assumed the band Yothu Yindi were the same Aboriginals that drank in a park near by and threw them out. He wasn't the type you would call a racist- he was a lefty progressive thinker.

I think plenty have a game face where they pay lip service to their accepting natures while holding deep subconscious bigotry.

If you had another nation come in and take our land while after massacres failed to work their magic your race was bred out of you for generations and your kids removed for reprogramming. Then you were removed the rights of citizens and forced into ghetto like badlands on the outskirts of town and the humiliation you suffered was considered a cultural stereo type you might feel different if some one called you a silly name.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:
Unpatriotic ,
Your post proves my point.

We're doing ok in some areas but we could improve in others.

Those countries have problems, just like all countries do but I live here so Australia is my concern.

If you want to believe in jingoistic concepts such as patriotism go ahead but it's not really my cup of tea.

Vietnam isn't a Muslim country and I think you should probably be careful where you are going with all of that.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Greg T wrote:
Unpatriotic ,
Your post proves my point.

We're doing ok in some areas but we could improve in others.

Those countries have problems, just like all countries do but I live here so Australia is my concern.

If you want to believe in jingoistic concepts such as patriotism go ahead but it's not really my cup of tea.

Vietnam isn't a Muslim country and I think you should probably be careful where you are going with all of that.
But they make racism towards muslims okay in the media- now this is getting silly. Some racism is alright like if someone wants to bring their kids to a safer country they are obviously dangerous terrorists. They should force all aussies to tattoo flags on their bodies and send them on national service blowing up boat people and that. Otherwise send em to the front line in Bali so they can beer glass the locals in the face. No one can take away our civil right to hate other people we don't know. The government should give all new immos a footy and if they can't kick one they should f*** off back where they came from. If you don't agree you should go and live in a Muslim country like Canada.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I've really enjoyed reading through the majority of the posts in this thread....Some people hold different positions on the matter however I can't see many blatant racist posts....Just different views which are well thought out. Cheers.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:
Unpatriotic ,

Unpatriotic???? To criticse is unpatriotic......ummmmm no.
Your post is straight out of Howard and G.W Bush's songbook. "you're either with us or against us". It's a useful political tool to use as it leaves zero room for opposing views and paints anyone who disagrees as unpatriotic. Glad to see you've taken it on board like a good little Aussie and are now repeating it at others.
And yep..... Vietnam is in Asia. It's heritage is overwhelmingly Buddhist.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Definitely a good read in bed last evening after a long and hard day at work....While my obese Indigenous boyfriend snored his head off....

(Jokes)

Too soon...?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote: Unpatriotic ,
Possibly the most Flagrantly stupid and embarrassingly ignorant and thoughtless post I have read in a long time.

Hilariously dumb.

Greg T I hope you were either on or taking the piss, because that is as bad as a post can get.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
sippo
Club Player

If we are so "bad/racist/embarassing" etc, and have "got it all wrong", why do so many people want to come here??. Easy to say how "bad" we are, yet if our way of life is the envy of other countries i dont understand.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i don't agree with that....we are pretty tolerant really....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.