Webster's Progress

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mick13
Club Player

Re: Webster's Progress

St Ick wrote:
BigMart wrote:I think he is a natural HB

Like Roberton, Geary, Wright.... The seem like straight run, line breakers to me....

Some players are not suited to the midfield and don't need to be to make them any better or help the team
Eg/grant birchall

Team need defender
Roberton, Geary, Wright, Webster, Fergusson. Suddenly we once again have too many helf backs
I reckon we'll see Wright move into the middle in the next couple years. He's got the pace and composure to blitz it out of the middle. While his kicking still needs work, it's adequate and will improve.

Have to see a bit more of Jimmy before we can really tell but he as well has the composure and also exquisite foot skills. Seems like a great kid too. A lot to work with there.

That's what I've liked seeing in all our recent picks. They have so much time with the ball - Ross, Newnes, Webster, Roberton and Wright. Apart from Roberton (whos still young) they've barely played 50 games between them. But when they get the ball, they look cool, calm and confident. And usually hit a target.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Its interesting.
The question I have - which we wont be able to answer for another year or two - is did our recruiters become geniuses in 11 and 12 or is the overall standard of player up?
Because Ross, Newnes, Webster, Markworth and Wright are already better than most of our 2007-10 draftees.
2011 was Elshaug's first draft.....could he be our Stephen Wells?
2010 was Elshaug's first draft. Took over from John Peake. Cripps over Darling, Crocker, Ledger...........the new Wells? Hardly.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Scoop
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
Scoop wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Its interesting.
The question I have - which we wont be able to answer for another year or two - is did our recruiters become geniuses in 11 and 12 or is the overall standard of player up?
Because Ross, Newnes, Webster, Markworth and Wright are already better than most of our 2007-10 draftees.
2010 was Elshaug's first draft. Took over from John Peake. Cripps over Darling, Crocker, Ledger...........the new Wells? Hardly.
I think you'll find Peake was still our recruiting manager at the 2010 draft. He was sacked not long after and then Elshaug took over.

Suggest you check your facts before you take someone to task. Just a suggestion.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Scoop wrote:
I think you'll find Peake was still our recruiting manager at the 2010 draft. He was sacked not long after and then Elshaug took over.

Suggest you check your facts before you take someone to task. Just a suggestion.
Ok lads - dont get aggro! I just looked this up to settle it.

It seems Peake resigned in the first week of December 2010.

This means 2011 was Elshaug's first Draft back with the Saints (after leaving for personal reasons).

Evidence is quickly mounting up that Elshaugh is an absolutely outstanding recruiter.

The evidence is already in that Peake was an absolutely awful recruiter for our club.

Tony Elshaug - I salute you buddy! Welcome back to the Saints. You are doing a great job.

White Winmar is saying Elshaug was physically there at the 2010 draft - but after all the work had already been completed.
I think it is fair to say that Peake ran recruiting in 2010 and the work and reports were all his work even if maybe Elshaug read out some names in November 2010. 2010 was Peakes show.

saintmont
Club Player

Hi, the word is that the saints have being talking to Jimmy Wester brother Zac who plays for Glenorchy in the statewide league in Tassie, and he is suppose to be better than Jimmy, also heard that North Melbourne and Adelaide are interested as well.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

2011 was Elshaug's first draft.....could he be our Stephen Wells?[/quote]
2010 was Elshaug's first draft. Took over from John Peake. Cripps over Darling, Crocker, Ledger...........the new Wells? Hardly.[/quote]

Suggest you check your facts before you take someone to task. Just a suggestion.[/quote]
I suggest it's safer to rely on actual experience than rely on what is reported, which is so often inaccurate, distorted or presented out of context. I suggest you should check the reliability of your so-called facts, before accusing others of the hypocrisy you are guilty of yourself.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Article about Jimmy's brother here:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-01/t ... ng-stature

bhtay1

Obv a bit early to call but anyone else draw a slight comparison to BJ? Reasonable height, excellent kick with back flank prob most natural position. Just needs a real competitive streak. Wouldn't mind seeing him have some swings up fwd to see how he goes.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Article about Jimmy's brother here:

After reading this and other articles, it would suggest to me that we already have the best of the Websters !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint6
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
bergholt wrote:Article about Jimmy's brother here:

After reading this and other articles, it would suggest to me that we already have the best of the Websters !!

Jimmy says that his little brother is better than he is so will be interesting to see if he gets drafted and how he progresses.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

My dream draft

4# - best available young mid (under 18)
23# - D Garlett
41# - Z Webster

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:My dream draft

23# - D Garlett
41# - Z Webster

Hopefully our club are a little more scientific than that. And hopefully they wait until the season is over to make a decision. My ideal draft is the 5 best players they can get with no ruckman and mainly mids.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well ou supercoach thinks one quarter is enough for his development this week :roll:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Well ou supercoach thinks one quarter is enough for his development this week :roll:

And who should be sub?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Well ou supercoach thinks one quarter is enough for his development this week :roll:

And who should be sub?
Sippos IMHFO.

Are you going to the game plugs?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:My dream draft

23# - D Garlett
41# - Z Webster

Hopefully our club are a little more scientific than that. And hopefully they wait until the season is over to make a decision. My ideal draft is the 5 best players they can get with no ruckman and mainly mids.
Yeah I know - obviously you need to know who is available before you decide.
Im just having some fun. But yeah - mainly mids is the main thing. Unless some freak is left and its too good to refuse.

Scoop
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
Scoop wrote:2011 was Elshaug's first draft.....could he be our Stephen Wells?
White Winmar wrote:2010 was Elshaug's first draft. Took over from John Peake. Cripps over Darling, Crocker, Ledger...........the new Wells? Hardly.
Scoop wrote:I think you'll find Peake was still our recruiting manager at the 2010 draft. He was sacked not long after and then Elshaug took over.

White Winmar wrote:I suggest it's safer to rely on actual experience than rely on what is reported, which is so often inaccurate, distorted or presented out of context. I suggest you should check the reliability of your so-called facts, before accusing others of the hypocrisy you are guilty of yourself.
Just saw your response WW.

Normally I don't get involved in slanging matches on here, however, since you called me a hypocrite (and not sure why)....and I certainly didn't call you one.....I will provide the following as evidence of my claim:

http://tsjournal.net/2011/05/26/jamie-c ... he-saints/

Excerpt: After the 2010 National Draft St Kilda recruiting manager John Peake said “Jamie has played senior footy at East Freo. He’s an elite athlete who can really run and spread. Towards the end of the year I went over to watch him play and I thought he was nearly best on ground for East Fremantle and they were a good side who made the finals.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 5968193304

And finally (look for the 7.04 minute mark):

If I'm not mistaken, is that not John Peake sitting at the St Kilda head table calling out Jamie Cripps' name? :? Now I will concede that Trout may be sitting at the back table, but Peake was still our recruiting manager for that draft and had a major influence on who was selected.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Peake was recruiting mgr in 2010 for sure.
Maybe elahaug sat in on the 2010 draft week to see the process for the sake of a handover for 2011 but Peake was mgr until December 2010.