Harden The f*** Up, Supporters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Harden The f*** Up, Supporters

I'm not surprised at the sooking but seriously.

We lost tonight to a side that were on top of their game. That first quarter from North was equally as good as I've seen any side play this year. Harvey's 350, last week's capitulation - whatever it was, they were going a million miles an hour for the entire first quarter. That's not an excuse but sometimes you meet sides on the wrong day.

And to be honest, I thought our performance wasn't horrible. We played the most attractive game style we have all year, playing on at all costs and looking to get players forward and counterattack frequently. We made a lot of mistakes and had some bad luck but generally the attitude and attack on the ball was pretty solid. If we'd played that well against Gold Coast, the Dogs or Richmond then we would have won those games.

This is obviously a down year for us. I won't pretend that I expected us to finish bottom three, but we were always unlikely to make finals. We're going worse than that and I'm surprised, but when the dropoff comes, it comes fast. That happens to most sides. Those who stay competitive - Sydney and Geelong at the moment - are the exception not the rule.

So we're going to lost plenty more games before we play finals again. Get used to it. That's not the same as accepting it but it does mean we should avoid doing stupid s*** like sacking the coach, prematurely retiring stars or tearing up memberships.

I didn't expect us to be this bad, but conversely, I didn't expect to have seen six debutants. I didn't expect Webster to have played a game, let alone 4; Roberton to have cemented a spot; Wright to be best 22 in his first year; Stanley to be a potential key back; Ross to actually look like a player. All of this is the experience and experimentation necessary to build a foundation for the next challenge. It's happening now so we're losing games but that's accelerating development of some promising kids.

We have to go through the valley of death to come out the other side. Let's batten down the hatches, not start acting like Richmond - or St Kilda of old.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Harden The f*** Up, Supporters

1/ The last 3 quarters of effort showed how insipid the first quarter effort was

2/ This is a FORUM.

3/ Forums are to talk about things, and as this one is on the Saints this is what we do.

4/ The talk on the forum will reflect what occurs on the field.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
PJ
SS Life Member

It's not a matter of us that needs to hardening up from my perspective. I expect more and I'm quite happy to call it when we are coached poorly and play poorly. Why should we just shut up and put up with sub standard work from the club. Yes I'll support them forever but the heat should really be fairly and squarely on them with the crap they served up tonight (players and coaches)

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes

We should expect/accept these efforts...

Don't be hard on the boys, most are playing injured, some are young... We should be happy with the state of the place

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote: If we'd played that well against Gold Coast, the Dogs or Richmond then we would have won those games.
wait..you are talking about North v Saints yeah? if we played that "well" against any of those 3 teams we would of lost by 10 goals instead of 2.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Greg T
Club Player

PJ wrote:It's not a matter of us that needs to hardening up from my perspective. I expect more and I'm quite happy to call it when we are coached poorly and play poorly. Why should we just shut up and put up with sub standard work from the club. Yes I'll support them forever but the heat should really be fairly and squarely on them with the crap they served up tonight (players and coaches)
Well said PJ,
After the success we've experienced we certainly should Expect more,not less.
I luv the Saints too,but that's the worst 1/4 of footy for ten years.just not on.
It's an 18 game comp now,things are harder.
Too many supporters are quite happy to go back to the Stone Age .

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see the players Harden the F**** up.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Saad,Hickey,Mcevoy,Sippos and Fisher were very poor tonight ,if they are injured don't play them but the effort of these guys tonight was half hearted and needs to be addressed and 2 of these blokes are our ruck men !

PADDLEPOP1000
dragit
Saintsational Legend

A belting has been coming our way for a few weeks…

I think what would have shocked most people yesterday was the fact that the game was absolutely over after 1 quarter, very rude. After that quarter we seemed to match them, but I guess it barely matters after the sting is out of the game.

Let's face it, North are a much better side than us at the moment.

When you play a side with 10 blokes under 25 games, it is unrealistic to expect to be competitive every week. We've done pretty well to be in most games so far, but it won't be the case every week…

Fortunately we have a pretty good draw this year and don't play many good sides twice…

Strap yourselves in for the Geelong & Hawthorn games :shock:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yes

We should expect/accept these efforts...

Don't be hard on the boys, most are playing injured, some are young... We should be happy with the state of the place
I don't quite get what you are on about?

What do you do that the rest of 'mediocrity acceptors' don't?

The 'state of the place' is mainly because of decisions/mistakes that were made before Watters arrived, stamping your foot and screaming isn't going to make things better any faster.

OUR LIST IS IN SHAMBLES - WE ARE GOING TO GET BELTED BY GOOD SIDES - ACCEPT IT - WE ARE EVERY BIT MEDIOCRE AT THE MOMENT

spert
Saintsational Legend

Us long-term supporters are plenty hardened up after the crap this club has served up over the years. I don't mind going down with a fight, but getting flogged without even getting near opponents, watching North players fight each other for the loose ball, as per yesterday's game, is a bigger worry for the club from top down. Just because we are introducing young players, doesn't mean they are all quality waiting to blossom, in fact maybe one or two out of every 6-10 may make it.

Schillaci
Club Player

It is what is. Blind Freddie can see where we are at.
Fortunately I had resigned myself to the fact very early in the season. If I had believed in Geary that we were a chance of the finals before the Bulldogs' game I might've needed some hardening up.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Just because we are introducing young players, doesn't mean they are all quality waiting to blossom, in fact maybe one or two out of every 6-10 may make it.
Surely no-one would be expecting them all to become stars? We have to play them to find out which ones are any good, in the meantime we are going to get some almighty beltings… the alternative is to play Blake, Maister, Jones, Kosi, redraft Peak, Clarke & Polo.

GWS and GCS are absolutely chock full of top 10 talent… but they still copped belting after belting, because young players, no matter how good they are, can't compete with 25 year old men with 8 pre-seasons behind them.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Time for the cheese grater.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
lloyd21
Club Player

Good Post

Every game for new guys is worth 10.

Siposs was really impressive preseason think he is just down on confidence.

As for knocking both ruckman they are 3 years of development from where most guys they are playing against.

They have to get experience that is what happens. Supporters have stick fat , the team is in rebuild, hence why some of the older guys are struggling except Riewoldt /Joey.

Draft opportunites will come and confident the recruiting department will make right calls.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Supporters can complain all they like on forums, I have no problem with that, but they'd wanna start turning up to games. I know I'm preaching to the converted, but yesterday's turnout of Saints fans was disgraceful. Would have been lucky to be 5,000.

philtee
Club Player

Usual bloodletting on Saintsational after a loss. Agreed - first quarter was inexplicable, unforgiveable etc etc.
But the comparisons to Melbourne are ludicrous, as are calls for Watters'/Pelchen's head.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:Supporters can complain all they like on forums, I have no problem with that, but they'd wanna start turning up to games. I know I'm preaching to the converted, but yesterday's turnout of Saints fans was disgraceful. Would have been lucky to be 5,000.
Our fixture has been horrendous from a family/Supporter point of view ,who wants to go to a game at 4.40 on a Sunday arvo(even though I do)it's time our club stood up for itself and start to look at a realistic fixture .,not to mention the money we are losing due to the crap fixturing!

PADDLEPOP1000
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Supporters can complain all they like on forums, I have no problem with that, but they'd wanna start turning up to games. I know I'm preaching to the converted, but yesterday's turnout of Saints fans was disgraceful. Would have been lucky to be 5,000.
careful

joff will be on soon and you know what he's like about turning up to games and excuses 8-)

paulski
Club Player

Agree 100% with Beno88, yesterdays turnout from Saints fans was embarrassing.

Adelaide the week before against the Roos would have had twice as many as we had yesterday.

For some strange reason our fans don't go to away games! WTF!!!

No doubt we'll have 20,000 fans there next week - home game.

Sitting at the Saints end yesterday was depressing and demoralising! :(

SunburySaint
Club Player

paulski wrote:Agree 100% with Beno88, yesterdays turnout from Saints fans was embarrassing.

Adelaide the week before against the Roos would have had twice as many as we had yesterday.

I got into an argument on the St Kilda facebook page last night about the same thing! What one person said pretty much sums up the state of a vast majority of fans, It went something like "After last weeks performence, alot of us would rather watch the game in the comfort of our armchair at home"

I was there yesterday... didnt like what I saw, but I stayed until the end because thats what supporters do

Now lives in Geelong...
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:1/ The last 3 quarters of effort showed how insipid the first quarter effort was

2/ This is a FORUM.

3/ Forums are to talk about things, and as this one is on the Saints this is what we do.

4/ The talk on the forum will reflect what occurs on the field.
100%

anyone who defends that first quarter disgrace should go f themselves.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

SunburySaint wrote:
paulski wrote:Agree 100% with Beno88, yesterdays turnout from Saints fans was embarrassing.

I got into an argument on the St Kilda facebook page last night about the same thing! What one person said pretty much sums up the state of a vast majority of fans, It went something like "After last weeks performence, alot of us would rather watch the game in the comfort of our armchair at home"

I was there yesterday... didnt like what I saw, but I stayed until the end because thats what supporters do
Depressing & demoralising, you guys are really selling it… sounds awesome.

I never really understood why people think that berating their fellow supporters might encourage them to go…

Go to the footy if you enjoy it, support the club financially if you can.

SunburySaint
Club Player

dragit wrote:
SunburySaint wrote:

Depressing & demoralising, you guys are really selling it… sounds awesome.

I never really understood why people think that berating their fellow supporters might encourage them to go…

Go to the footy if you enjoy it, support the club financially if you can.
I wasnt berating this particular person, I merely asked a simple question as too why there were not too many saints fans there.... getting a response like I did does not go down well.... Trust me I completely understand if people cant support the club financially due to personal circumstances (ive been there in a bad way and am only seeing the light now), however saying that people didnt show because of the previous weeks game is just ridiculous... even Melbourne fans turn up when they know they are going to get spanked... Fairweather supporters IMO

In any case... if they can afford $80 a month for internet or $50 a month for there mobile to access the internet to get on facebook and whinge and complain, why cant they afford the $25 entry to go to a game every now and then? jesus even when I was in the shait financially I still managed to get to at least 2 -3 games a year

Now lives in Geelong...
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Actually the first quarter was horrible, putrid in fact, our worst performance since 2002. The sceond quarter wasn't much better (North didn't kick straight). The second half was OK. Overall a poor performance on the field and in the Coach's Box.