Interesting Comment........

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting Comment........

Stop the press - our players aren't robots and occasionally dont train or play to the required standard.

Who would of thunk it?????? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:
Not sure if I should feel sorry for these guys as they do get paid "nice bucks" and have the option to become AFL footballers or not ,all the above are part of the job ,I think Ice baths and dips in the bay and a few surgeries are part and parcel!
No need to feel sorry for them but by the same token it’s hardly the soft lifestyle the other poster had suggested.

Even if we had the talent to do so I’m sure a lot of us on here would baulk at pursuing an AFL career. They are generally paid quite well but let’s not fool ourselves that it’s anything other than a tough, demanding gig.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:
Not sure if I should feel sorry for these guys as they do get paid "nice bucks" and have the option to become AFL footballers or not ,all the above are part of the job ,I think Ice baths and dips in the bay and a few surgeries are part and parcel!
No need to feel sorry for them but by the same token it’s hardly the soft lifestyle the other poster had suggested.

Even if we had the talent to do so I’m sure a lot of us on here would baulk at pursuing an AFL career. They are generally paid quite well but let’s not fool ourselves that it’s anything other than a tough, demanding gig.
Ask the mothers of the young men who play this game.

I know of one that worried herself terribly when her son was severely injured earlier this year. The young man is only 19, around the same age as my kids.

Cushy game especially when you have your face smashed in like Newnes and Wright, still have plates and screws in your face, and are then expected (and do) put their heads over the ball two weeks later.

Easy to be blithe and unfeeling towards them, but hey they are human. How many on here would shirk getting their jaws whacked again two weeks having them broken.

These two young blokes should be admired and applauded, and , god forbid, SUPPORTED, by the Saints fans, not ignorantly bagged.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:

My godson won the Sandy dragons B%F last season and this season he went to Port Melbourne after the disappointment of not being drafted. This kid is one of the keenest people you would ever meet and comes from a very good footballing family. He started in the seconds at Port and due to Sunday games was training 4 days a week including Saturday morning and then playing Sunday. He also works 5 days a week and his job requires him to get up at 5 every morning and then go straight to training 3 days a week. Even though he had his best game two weeks ago and probably would have got a run in the ones the following week he has decided to go back to his local club due to the demands. This is only VFL footy. Imagine the AFL. yes they dont work as such but they never go out with mates and lose most of them due to footy. They are also under pressure like Jackson Ferguson. A half of footy and people are asking why was he even picked. Its a pretty tough life and we know no one forces them but you also have to admit it isnt all beer and skittles. By the way what are Skittles?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:

My godson won the Sandy dragons B%F last season and this season he went to Port Melbourne after the disappointment of not being drafted. This kid is one of the keenest people you would ever meet and comes from a very good footballing family. He started in the seconds at Port and due to Sunday games was training 4 days a week including Saturday morning and then playing Sunday. He also works 5 days a week and his job requires him to get up at 5 every morning and then go straight to training 3 days a week. Even though he had his best game two weeks ago and probably would have got a run in the ones the following week he has decided to go back to his local club due to the demands. This is only VFL footy. Imagine the AFL. yes they dont work as such but they never go out with mates and lose most of them due to footy. They are also under pressure like Jackson Ferguson. A half of footy and people are asking why was he even picked. Its a pretty tough life and we know no one forces them but you also have to admit it isnt all beer and skittles. By the way what are Skittles?
I don't think you have given enough credence to the fact AFL players "Don't have to work" another job. It's a fairly significant point. They live a pretty priveliged rockstar life. Don't give me the sob story they work hard. They work no harder than most of us do every day in our professions. We just don't have the talent to get an opportunity, or earn the absurd amount of money at the same time, as these poor boys.

8856brother wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

I don't think you have given enough credence to the fact AFL players "Don't have to work" another job. It's a fairly significant point. They live a pretty priveliged rockstar life. Don't give me the sob story they work hard. They work no harder than most of us do every day in our professions. We just don't have the talent to get an opportunity, or earn the absurd amount of money at the same time, as these poor boys.

Yes they get paid well but they also can have their life ruined to some degree. What about Jarryd Allen. Hip replacement at 23 years of age. How do people at work go when caught for 0.05. Do they get in the media like Jack Steven. What about a guy like Matt Ferguson. Played AFL for about 6 years and plays 15 games so doesnt make a huge amount of money and then has to get a job with no experience what so ever. Its fine for the Rooys and Lennys of this world but many more players dont make it. I bet after your first day in the job you didnt have people saying you basically should be dropped and should never have played like Jackson Ferguson.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:

Very good post P66.

And to answer your question.....
Meaning
'Beer and skittles' is shorthand for a life of indulgence spent in the pub.

Origin
Skittles, also known as Ninepins, which was the pre-cursor to ten-pin bowling, has been a popular English pub game since the 17th century. The pins are set up in a square pattern and players attempt to knock them down with a ball. It is still played but not so much as previously.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

My concern is who made the comments. Armo isn't Jarryd Allen or Jackson Ferguson. He's been in the system 7 odd years and still can't string consistent performances together - and we need him to. He needs to stop prattling on about looking forward to a rest (a week before it's due), venting about training and how bad Sunday was early.

He needs to knuckle down and work way harder on the ground.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

That's what happens when someone only half quotes an interview (reporter or poster). Armo went on to say,

"It could be training. When you don't train during the week really well, it comes out in games," he said.

"It starts on the training track and all you can do is train hard and hopefully it follows through to the game.

"Training wasn't too bad so we can't really put a finger on it."

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes they get paid well but they also can have their life ruined to some degree. What about Jarryd Allen. Hip replacement at 23 years of age. How do people at work go when caught for 0.05. Do they get in the media like Jack Steven. What about a guy like Matt Ferguson. Played AFL for about 6 years and plays 15 games so doesnt make a huge amount of money and then has to get a job with no experience what so ever. Its fine for the Rooys and Lennys of this world but many more players dont make it. I bet after your first day in the job you didnt have people saying you basically should be dropped and should never have played like Jackson Ferguson.
Sorry mate. I can't feel sorry for them. They all get a fantastic opportunity that can be, and is life changing for many of them. Some have never worked a day in a real job all their lives. If they don't make it they can join the real world like the rest of us, many of whom have changed professions in our lives. It happens. No one feels sorry for the poor old garbo who wants to change his profession at 22 years old.

The OtherThommo wrote:My concern is who made the comments. Armo isn't Jarryd Allen or Jackson Ferguson. He's been in the system 7 odd years and still can't string consistent performances together - and we need him to. He needs to stop prattling on about looking forward to a rest (a week before it's due), venting about training and how bad Sunday was early.

He needs to knuckle down and work way harder on the ground.
Yep- and most of his mates need to do the same

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:

Sorry mate. I can't feel sorry for them. They all get a fantastic opportunity that can be, and is life changing for many of them. Some have never worked a day in a real job all their lives. If they don't make it they can join the real world like the rest of us, many of whom have changed professions in our lives. It happens. No one feels sorry for the poor old garbo who wants to change his profession at 22 years old.

Firstly I have never said anyone should feel sorry for them. i am just pointing out for many it isnt the dream job that it appears from the outside. And they deserve every cent they get. As it is they only get 27% of revenue they bring in and when you consider it is an industry that doesnt distribute profits to anyone 27% isnt great. In America they pay something like 45%.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:

What do you mean by a "rockstar life"? Not every player is a Gary Ablett. It's winner take all and only good players get paid very well and go on to have media and or coaching careers. How much do you think Jackson Ferguson would be on? When you divide by the hours they put in it's probably the equivalent of 50K a year, if that.

They don't work second jobs because there is no time. It's a full time job these days and has been the last 15 years or so. The system will spit them our pretty quickly if they can't meet the standards required and players do get treated like meat. I don't feel sorry for them but it's not that good either.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:

Probability would suggest if you do ever make it to AFL you will definitely have to work just as hard as "us poor souls" once you finish.

Actually probably harder, most of us would have had a head start by then...

Sainter93
Club Player

At the end of the day half the reason comes down to attitude. The other half fitness. The players need to look at themselves and put in some really hard work on the track this week, and not look at it as "going through the motions" until the bye comes around.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

This is the same in any well paid position you have in life. Even those in not such well paid paid positions such as nurses, police oficers and teachers are often pushed very hard to meet outcomes or expectations. Life and work is speeding up and becoming more goals driven (forgive the pun) by the year.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I toil away on saintsational every single day for very little coin or thanks... Sure the perks of reading amazing analysis are hard to quantify, but it's the reason I turned down bigfooty when they tried to head hunt me last year. I'm here for you guys, my team mates... Not the fame as many people suspect goes along with sitting alone at a laptop, arguing with strangers about small forward logistics.

Seriously though, sometimes you get smacked by a better team, we were on track for a 40 goal loss, I don't think it was a bad attitude, just a good, fast, young side with experience, getting the jump on us.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: I don't think it was a bad attitude, just a good, fast, young side with experience, getting the jump on us.
The first 3 North goals were as a direct result of wrong or dubious umpiring decisions and within about 5 minutes we were toast. They were switched on and the momentum was hard to stop. I think we managed to put in a decent effort for the remaining 3 quarters.

and Dragit....you are a selfless ss team player :)

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
8856brother wrote:

Probability would suggest if you do ever make it to AFL you will definitely have to work just as hard as "us poor souls" once you finish.

Actually probably harder, most of us would have had a head start by then...
Most of us wont have the cash they have either at that age, whether they make it or not.