Tom Curren

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

paddy
Club Player

Re: Tom Curren

Think that Ferg was the wrong rookie to promote....

Curren should be getting a game, for those who dont think he lacks skill, ask yourself if you'd prefer skills or the effort we saw in that first quarter from our midfield?

I know my preference

savatage
SS Life Member

He had quite a number of effective disposals (Ledger this is) on Saturday. Did you stay at one end of the ground or did you move around during the Sandy game?

Also on Tom Curren, his skills seriously get underrated on here. He is usually quite neat with the tendancy to spray the odd one (but he's not on his own).

Compared to half the squad we have at present - he is just as good, if not better.

savatage
SS Life Member

paddy wrote:Think that Ferg was the wrong rookie to promote....
Absolutely. That one came out of the blue. It's not like he's been in form in the VFL either. He's had injury problems this year & hardly played. He was great last year - but until he finds his form & fitness it's weird to bring him into the AFL.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

savatage wrote:He had quite a number of effective disposals (Ledger this is) on Saturday. Did you stay at one end of the ground or did you move around during the Sandy game?

Also on Tom Curren, his skills seriously get underrated on here. He is usually quite neat with the tendancy to spray the odd one (but he's not on his own).

Compared to half the squad we have at present - he is just as good, if not better.
No we stayed up at one end of the ground, strategicvally placed halfway between the bar and the toilets. As I said, he may have done some good work we simply didin't see from our vantage point, but I think his dispoal being a concern is very valid.

Do you happen to know Ledger's actual stats from Saturday?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
savatage
SS Life Member

He had it around 20 times & I saw a number that hit the target at the end I was at.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

bring them in.... shiit there's noting to lose at this point... i say Watter Man bring em in give them a chance to prove what they can do...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:bring them in.... shiit there's noting to lose at this point... i say Watter Man bring em in give them a chance to prove what they can do...

He cant play until at least round12.

paddy
Club Player

does Gilbo qualify for the LTI list?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:does Gilbo qualify for the LTI list?

To late now. If they did it from the start then yes but he is back in about 6 games.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

To late now. If they did it from the start then yes but he is back in about 6 games.
Is it weeks or games, given the bye he might still squeeze in

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He isn't outstanding at VFL level and you don't watch and go wow but he goes for it and deserves a chance. Hope he gets elevated and shows that his skills go up at a higher level. Clint Jones was helping win the ball out of the middle earlier in the year and with out him it puts too much load on Steven. We need him or ledger just to get competitive while Lenny is out.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His stats... 25pg 2goals are outstanding

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:His stats... 25pg 2goals are outstanding

Have no idea who you are talking about but Curren kicked one goal and had 13 poessessions. Didnt see the game but poor for a mid.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:His stats... 25pg 2goals are outstanding

When you watch it's not like you watch and go wow. He racks up stats but doesn't stand out. Joey has that too so it's not like it means he can't play. Just guys like Marigliani and Cocky can get less and look like they were everywhere. I haven't watched much this year so he could be looking better but last year he was good with out really noticing him being good. I'm not sure how to articulate it but a bit like watching Ledger closely last year- he didn't hit targets and you could see why he wasn't called up. He's getting the ball but not all that dangerous with the ball. Better than Ledger though. I would give them both games and see what we have as soon as we can.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

He was at Bells Beach at Easter

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:He was at Bells Beach at Easter
So was I.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
sax
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Gilbert is listed as 6 - 9 weeks away, a player must remain on the LTI for a minimum 8 weeks (rule 31.4.1).

Honestly, I think it's worth adding him to the LTI & promoting Curren.

Reward his VFL performances & give the kid a chance to prove himself at a higher level.

I don't understand why we promoted Ferguson, he looked completely out of his depth.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote: I don't understand why we promoted Ferguson, he looked completely out of his depth.
Yes he did, yes he did.

However Ferg is certainly not the first debutante to look that way. And he did have the misfortunate to be playing in Defence in a quarter of football where most of his team mates simply forgot the game had started.

He's on the senior list at the moment and hopefully he'll get another opportuntity.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

savatage wrote:He had it around 20 times & I saw a number that hit the target at the end I was at.
You must have been at the social club end then, because we were behind the Sauntner goal and he got a bit of it towards our end but literally missed every single target with the possessions we actualy were able to see. Good to hear that there parts of his game we missed then.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
sax wrote: I don't understand why we promoted Ferguson, he looked completely out of his depth.
Yes he did, yes he did.

However Ferg is certainly not the first debutante to look that way. And he did have the misfortunate to be playing in Defence in a quarter of football where most of his team mates simply forgot the game had started.

He's on the senior list at the moment and hopefully he'll get another opportuntity.

Its funny i would have thought a couple of AA looked out of their depth in the first quarter as well. I have an idea lets play younger players and give them a few weeks unless the whole side stuffs up the first quarter and we blame a first gamer. My idea then would be to play younger players but only if they are in the top 3 on the ground. And Sax its to late to put Gilbert on the LTI list unless you want him to stand out when he probably will be fit. And another thing Curren had 13 possessions last week. he is hardly a walk up start anyway.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

savatage wrote:He had quite a number of effective disposals (Ledger this is) on Saturday. Did you stay at one end of the ground or did you move around during the Sandy game?

Spot on, just watch his highlights to see how many times he hit chest or put it into advantage for players - http://www.saints.com.au/video/2013-06- ... highlights

Fazer
Club Player

2 hit targets, 1 kick smothered, 3 along the ground, 2 behinds - didn't count hanballs but there were a couple in there

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:cockie should have been elevated
Unsure how we would do that as he isn't on our list.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum