Matthew Watson (Carlton) - KPD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

Matthew Watson (Carlton) - KPD

No doubt to Plugger's dismay, my search continues...

Only (nearly) 21, great size at 195cm and 100kgs, thought that's bordering on short in these days of 197cm plus KPFs :P! Naturally a CHB, with a booming left foot from memory, and will only be 21 next month. Not getting a game this year for the Paperbaggers due to pace concerns by the whispers on the Carlton bigfooty board.

By the looks of him, stays onside with my 'no scrawny bastards just because they're tall' rule... Reminds me a bit of a young Goose Maguire with the long kicking.

Has anyone seen anything of him lately? He rather impressed me in his brief spell in the seniors last season.

Is he worth a trade? Wonder what it might take to prise him away?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Matthew Watson (Carlton) - KPD

Awesome. Lets get another discard that is too slow :roll:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

So he's not getting a game for carlscum, hardly a powerhouse team and you want to recruit him. That's what we used to do in the 80's, basically be a charity for players who were either topping up their pension or just were not good enough.
No thanks

I love this club
Uncle Barrels
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:So he's not getting a game for carlscum, hardly a powerhouse team and you want to recruit him.
I didn't say I wanted to, I asked the question whether it was something worth considering. And they may not be a powerhouse team, but they're sure doing better than we are right now... The kid was a #18 pick, so someone didn't think he was hopeless, or a 'discard', and he's more suited to playing KPD than anything we've got right now, is young and could play straight away. We're not going to get superstars with every pick and trade, and what can we offer them at the moment? Success, probably not; money, maybe... You'd certainly not offer anything better than a 2nd round pick for a kid not currently getting a game I'd suggest.

Jeez you're a sad lot here at the moment. I'm glad Dempster isn't being offered right now, you'd all go nuts.

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Awesome. Lets get another discard that is too slow :roll:
Pretty sure he's still on the list and contracted. :roll: yourself

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I think it's a fair and reasonable suggestion... And unlike most of the possibilities thrown around this forum, it is actually realistic...

I would much prefer look at Watson than chase Mitch Brown again.. Still can't believe how hard we went for him last year.. IMO this guy is a much better option, and most likely, cheaper...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Got no idea about the kid, however I love Uncle's passion and posts like these are far more interesting than a few others on this forum. Keep it up :)

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Uncle Barrels wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Awesome. Lets get another discard that is too slow :roll:
Pretty sure he's still on the list and contracted. :roll: yourself
Not a bad call UB. I reckon he has potential. Generally well thought of in his draft. Thought he'd be getting a game at Carlscum, given their lack of (good) big defenders.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

if he cant get a game for the Blues who are desperate for KPPs he must be shizen.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I'd be hesitant to recruit anyone that isnt getting a game at a side where his position is a worry for them.

However we are absolutely screaming out for at least one big bodies KPP. If we could get him on the cheap and we do our research and he would offer value I couldn't see why we wouldn't be worth a punt

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:So he's not getting a game for carlscum, hardly a powerhouse team and you want to recruit him.

Freo was not and probably still isn't a powerhouse and Roberton was not getting a game.

Sam Fisher was 23 and couldn't get a gig until we picked him up at #55 or so.

There will be plenty of GWS 1st rounders who currently cant get a game in a team that is getting a 10 goal + flogging every week.

Dont be too quick to write off a bloke (not saying we should get him, but dont be too quick).

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

dud...with a long neck...and big head....otherwise he would only be about 191cm..... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saw this guy against Port Melbourne about 4 weeks ago. Played terribly but that could be a one off. Looks an excellent prospect at Ormond next year so yes if this is thread about recruits for a D grade amateur side then yes lets get him. Actually with a bit of luck we may be C grade. That may test Watson out.

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

stinger wrote:dud...with a long neck...and big head....otherwise he would only be about 191cm..... :twisted:
By that rationale Simpkin would be 152m...

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Saw this guy against Port Melbourne about 4 weeks ago. Played terribly but that could be a one off. Looks an excellent prospect at Ormond next year so yes if this is thread about recruits for a D grade amateur side then yes lets get him. Actually with a bit of luck we may be C grade. That may test Watson out.
*sigh*

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Uncle Barrels wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Saw this guy against Port Melbourne about 4 weeks ago. Played terribly but that could be a one off. Looks an excellent prospect at Ormond next year so yes if this is thread about recruits for a D grade amateur side then yes lets get him. Actually with a bit of luck we may be C grade. That may test Watson out.
*sigh*

At least I have seen him play twice recently. Yourself?

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Uncle Barrels wrote:
*sigh*

At least I have seen him play twice recently. Yourself?
Exactly none, hence the intial question. I significantly doubt the guy will be tested by, or playing C or D1 grade Ammos next year, and to suggest so, even as sarcasm, devalues your opinion.

I said in another thread that this seeming compulsion of yours to be the narky hipster type and s*** on everyone's ideas is a shame considering that when you can reign it in you give reasoned and thoughtful opinions on things.

A pretty simple "not for me, he's too slow/not up to it IMO" would have done here.

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Got no idea about the kid, however I love Uncle's passion and posts like these are far more interesting than a few others on this forum. Keep it up :)
Thanks, but this place has become seriously unpleasant over the last six months or so. Debate or the seeking of opinion seems to be stifled in favour of name calling or sarcasm, rather than playing along with what a sporting supporters forum is supposed to be about; the exchange of thoughts, ideas and experiences.

Might be time wave the white flag if this thread is an indicator.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Uncle Barrels wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Got no idea about the kid, however I love Uncle's passion and posts like these are far more interesting than a few others on this forum. Keep it up :)
Thanks, but this place has become seriously unpleasant over the last six months or so. Debate or the seeking of opinion seems to be stifled in favour of name calling or sarcasm, rather than playing along with what a sporting supporters forum is supposed to be about; the exchange of thoughts, ideas and experiences.

Never have I called you a name. You expressed your opinion and i said he was no good IMO. Surely you can handle that. I cant beleive people get upset because some disagrees with them and I gave you a reason. As for sarcasm well thats how I have rolled or 40 years of my life and I aint changing. People say its the lowest form of wit. I say it the best form as long as people get it. At least it seems you get it.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Plugger you do realise an opinion is what it is an opinion.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Plugger you do realise an opinion is what it is an opinion.

Yes and I gave my opinion as to why we shouldnt get after seeing him twice this year. Surely if i have seen him and I dont think he is good enough I should express it. He is slow and doesnt get the ball that much and the 2 times I saw him was beaten by his opponent. He kicks it long and that is about it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Freo was not and probably still isn't a powerhouse and Roberton was not getting a game.

Sam Fisher was 23 and couldn't get a gig until we picked him up at #55 or so.

There will be plenty of GWS 1st rounders who currently cant get a game in a team that is getting a 10 goal + flogging every week.

Dont be too quick to write off a bloke (not saying we should get him, but dont be too quick).
Not writing his guy off but Roberton had 37 senior games at age 20.

Just seems like a random name pulled from the sky. But if people think some bloke like this is going toi have any effect whatsoever we are in a sad state as a club.
We need 2 x super silky high quality midfielders. Like real gems.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Just seems like a random name pulled from the sky. But if people think some bloke like this is going toi have any effect whatsoever we are in a sad state as a club.
People need to chill out a bit. It's just a harmless bit of fun.

I mean it's not like any of us can actually influence who the club recruits or doesn't recruit. :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Uncle Barrels wrote:
stinger wrote:dud...with a long neck...and big head....otherwise he would only be about 191cm..... :twisted:
By that rationale Simpkin would be 152m...

don't you mean cm's......????...otherwise he would be as big as godzilla.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Uncle Barrels
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Uncle Barrels wrote:

Never have I called you a name. You expressed your opinion and i said he was no good IMO. Surely you can handle that. I cant beleive people get upset because some disagrees with them and I gave you a reason. As for sarcasm well thats how I have rolled or 40 years of my life and I aint changing. People say its the lowest form of wit. I say it the best form as long as people get it. At least it seems you get it.
I'm not soley referring to you, or simply to this thread. You've never called me a name, and I'm not 8 - if you did I'm sure if survive - your problem, IMO, is that you eschew reasoned debate in favour of shitting in anything you don't agree with. Be constructive, you might like it... Hell, offer a realistic alternative if you think he's no good