team- Rd 11 vs Eagles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: team- Rd 11 vs Eagles

Tdl clearly doesn't work hard enough in the gym
Has he ever done a squat in his life ?
So he's a good wafl vfl player but he hasn't woken up to what it takes to be a good afl player .
I fear the penny won't drop.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

How in the blue hell do Jones and InvisiBeau get listed again?

The games they have played this year have been sub par at best and after 1 week they cant have had VFL form so what is going on down there?

We recruited Lee with an early pick and he couldnt offer less than Beau. Why not try Ledger? Surely he'd be a better option than Jones.

Very disappointed that Fergurson went straight out. Sure he didn't have a good game but nobody in defense played that well.

I hope its Saunders and Dunell that come in, probably hoping against hope though

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
spert
Saintsational Legend

I'm glad I'm not in Watters shoes as a coach..walks into a club with a poor playing list, where a reasonably successful coach has walked out on them, older players who are on the decline for one reason another(Roo excepted), stuck out in a low profile facilty in the outer suburbs with a club financially challenged- a far cry from his former cushy surroundings at Collingwood. Unfortunately top players don't just grow on trees, so he gets what he can and hopes to develop others, and turns them over hoping to see a spark. The senior team loses by 11 goals, and the VFL team loses by 10 goals...mmm who will I drop and who will I pick. TDL kicks 4 goals in a badly beaten team, and that means you are putting your hand up for selection, and if Ledger had what it takes to drag our terrible midfield out of a hole, then he would be selected, but he wasn't, so he obviously has deficiencies in his game. I suspect Watters is at wits end as to what to do next.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

My interpretation is Watters thinks he can exploit the WC lack of pace. So I reckon he will play both Saunders and TDL.

The problem with TDL is is he is quick but not super quick (Like Jetta) and because TDL is so thin (has he ever done a squat in his life?) as soon as as he gets touched or there is any contact he is out of the contest. I remain unconvinced his body is not up to AFL standard and at 24/25 he is running out of excuses.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:My interpretation is Watters thinks he can exploit the WC lack of pace. So I reckon he will play both Saunders and TDL.

The problem with TDL is is he is quick but not super quick (Like Jetta) and because TDL is so thin (has he ever done a squat in his life?) as soon as as he gets touched or there is any contact he is out of the contest. I remain unconvinced his body is not up to AFL standard and at 24/25 he is running out of excuses.
Doesn't really matter if he's quick or not when he gets 6-8 possessions per game, mostly from marks. We have a few on the list that would run a blistering 30m sprint but just can't use it to advantage on game day. Wright, Steven and Stanley seem to be our only real line breakers, while Roberton does it well without incredible pace. Saunders looks like he has some pace as well but so far doesn't have the execution to take advantage of it. Webster could get there as well.

Saad, Jones, Milera and TDL are all fast runners but are headless chooks with the ball. Much like Peake was.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I'm glad I'm not in Watters shoes as a coach..walks into a club with a poor playing list, where a reasonably successful coach has walked out on them, older players who are on the decline for one reason another(Roo excepted), stuck out in a low profile facilty in the outer suburbs with a club financially challenged- a far cry from his former cushy surroundings at Collingwood. Unfortunately top players don't just grow on trees, so he gets what he can and hopes to develop others, and turns them over hoping to see a spark. The senior team loses by 11 goals, and the VFL team loses by 10 goals...mmm who will I drop and who will I pick. TDL kicks 4 goals in a badly beaten team, and that means you are putting your hand up for selection, and if Ledger had what it takes to drag our terrible midfield out of a hole, then he would be selected, but he wasn't, so he obviously has deficiencies in his game. I suspect Watters is at wits end as to what to do next.
He needs to make up his mind on the club's direction and start rewarding good VFL form.

The following players definitively aren't going to be part of our next good side, and aren't in the top 15 currently:

Blake
Kosi
Jones
Maister
Milne
TDL
Milera

This group might not be in our best 22 week in week out, but the majority have plenty of upside and need experience to improve. Generally they can hold their own as well as if not better than the first group

Siposs
Ross
Newnes
Saad
Lee
Hickey
Webster
Simpkin
Ledger
Curren
Dunell

The following players wouldn't get near our best 22 on any given week, but could be blooded for the sake of the future

Ferguson
Saunders
Murdoch
Lever
Minchington

Now one week we have Watters picking a kid who is clearly a long way off in Ferguson, and without even having a good run of VFL form behind him. This suggests he's building towards the future regardless of 2013 results. Then the following week we see him name Maister, Jones and TDL. One week he's blooding players for the sake of the future, the next week he's bringing in known quantities who aren't up to it; but they have experience and can be counted on to do an 'almost' acceptable job. Surely any half-sane coach would realise that the top group are no longer relevant, and that the middle group should get priority over them as long as form and fitness are ok. But no, Watters is going one way one week and another way the next week, throwing team balance out horribly and sacrificing development of young players in order to get these hacks with no future back into the side. Stanley for example played some great footy in his brief stint as a ruck/forward last week, but now we see two tall defenders dropped with no replacement, meaning he'll be back in defence again this week to play a position that he's not particularly good at.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Hurricane wrote:How in the blue hell do Jones and InvisiBeau get listed again?

The games they have played this year have been sub par at best and after 1 week they cant have had VFL form so what is going on down there?

We recruited Lee with an early pick and he couldnt offer less than Beau. Why not try Ledger? Surely he'd be a better option than Jones.

Very disappointed that Fergurson went straight out. Sure he didn't have a good game but nobody in defense played that well.

I hope its Saunders and Dunell that come in, probably hoping against hope though

BANG BANG
Hurricane, I don't know where it can be found, but I heard somewhere that Ledger's kicking efficiency at VFL level was down somewhere in the low twenty percent range - if true, Watters would be crucified if he selected Ledger, only to watch him spend the game extracting the pill and kicking it straight to the opposition. Can you imagine the squealing and gnashing of teeth in this place if we selected a kid in the seniors then watched him do that? Christ, poor bloody Ferg in his debut game got sent into the warzone that was our backline in the debacle that was the first quarter against the Roos and has been potted in here as "clearly not up to AFL level" based on that!! We could have had two extra blokes in there and they "wouldn't have been up to it", but that doesn't stop the squeaky wheels in here. Ferg actually has some tools to make it from what I have seen, so I think at his age should be persisted with, but from what I have seen of Ledger, I don't think he will.

For what it's worth I think Dunnel and Saunders will be in, and I don't think TDL will get a run. I think TDL got one touch int he second half for Sandy last week. So he may have got 4 goals, but that's hardly demanding form. From what I saw of Saunders last week he seemed to pop up with the pill everywhere, and hit his targets.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:He needs to make up his mind on the club's direction and start rewarding good VFL form.

The following players definitively aren't going to be part of our next good side, and aren't in the top 15 currently:

Blake
Kosi
Jones
Maister
Milne
TDL
Milera

This group might not be in our best 22 week in week out, but the majority have plenty of upside and need experience to improve. Generally they can hold their own as well as if not better than the first group

Siposs
Ross
Newnes
Saad
Lee
Hickey
Webster
Simpkin
Ledger
Curren
Dunell

The following players wouldn't get near our best 22 on any given week, but could be blooded for the sake of the future

Ferguson
Saunders
Murdoch
Lever
Minchington

Now one week we have Watters picking a kid who is clearly a long way off in Ferguson, and without even having a good run of VFL form behind him. This suggests he's building towards the future regardless of 2013 results. Then the following week we see him name Maister, Jones and TDL. One week he's blooding players for the sake of the future, the next week he's bringing in known quantities who aren't up to it; but they have experience and can be counted on to do an 'almost' acceptable job. Surely any half-sane coach would realise that the top group are no longer relevant, and that the middle group should get priority over them as long as form and fitness are ok. But no, Watters is going one way one week and another way the next week, throwing team balance out horribly and sacrificing development of young players in order to get these hacks with no future back into the side. Stanley for example played some great footy in his brief stint as a ruck/forward last week, but now we see two tall defenders dropped with no replacement, meaning he'll be back in defence again this week to play a position that he's not particularly good at.
Couldn't agree more.

I am a Watters fan and believe he needs at least 2-3 years to get a half decent team, but what you outlined above is what is perplexing many on here.

I can cop big defeats, I can cop a rebuild and give the coach the benefit of the doubt, but when there seems to be no clear selection policy, and he is chopping and changing from one week to the next, my faith and confidence in what Watters is doing gets a bit rattled.

Take a path and stick to it. If he does that the majoirty will come along with him, but when he makes crazy selections like this week, after bringing in Ferguson last week, I feel he is getting his judgement clouded maybe by last weeks inept first quarter performance.

But fkn Maister and TDL??????

Really????

Spare me

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

+1 to all the above.

Even if Miser and UDL do well on Sunday and even if we win, it's actually counter productive to our medium to longer term development.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Ledger just bangs the ball onto his boot without thinking. His defensive game is lacking, too.

AS for Maister, can those who bag him tell me who the hell on the list, apart from Koschitzke, can take a contested mark against a tall opponent in our forward line. Only Stanley, and we need him in defence. Who then, can give Riewoldt a chop out? Siposs has failed to do so. So if Maister doesn't play, we have the same issue as last week where we had only one tall target up forward.

IN my view Maister has to play. His form before breaking his wrist was quite good, and I have faith in him to get back to his early season form.

If you want to totally write off players and then slag off the coach for his selections, at least have a thorough look through the playing list and give some consideration to team balance.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: AS for Maister, can those who bag him tell me who the hell on the list, apart from Koschitzke, can take a contested mark against a tall opponent in our forward line.
Let me think? Hmmm dunno, oh hang on a bloke called Riewoldt goes OK sometimes.
cwrcyn wrote: Only Stanley, and we need him in defence.
Sure do now. Lose tqo backman and put in a non marking plonker in Maister.
cwrcyn wrote: Who then, can give Riewoldt a chop out? Siposs has failed to do so.
Wouldn't it be something if our mids actually kicked a goal or two instead on dropping it on Roo's head when he is three teamed. then we might not have to use a dumb plonker like Maister.
cwrcyn wrote:So if Maister doesn't play, we have the same issue as last week where we had only one tall target up forward.
No its worse. We have Maister doing nothing in the forward line while our midfield is murdered and our backline is destroyed as it has two less backmen than last week. Oh and we have one less effective forward in Stanley (who played pretty good up forward last week) who is now needed down back getting smashed by Natinui and Cox.
cwrcyn wrote:IN my view Maister has to play. His form before breaking his wrist was quite good, and I have faith in him to get back to his early season form.
His form was ordinary before breaking his wrist.
cwrcyn wrote:If you want to totally write off players and then slag off the coach for his selections, at least have a thorough look through the playing list and give some consideration to team balance.
lol - TEAM BALANCE :roll:

The coach and his insane selection has totally unbalanced the team. He loses two backmen and his replacements are two forwards, and two mids.

The team is a fkn trainwreck and Watters selections are to blame in this case. And why is Watters immune from critisism????

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I agree with MSG all the way!

SW seems to be be flip flopping between future planing and saving his own job.

We need some certainty to just stick to planning.

I reckon he thinks we can win this week so hes thinking if he picks some older guys we might get the 4 points and he can get some job security.

We need some direction and cohesion so that the coach, board and players are all in agreement of what we are trying to achieve.

Junior
Club Player

I reckon what Watters is looking for each week is a mix between experienced and inexperienced players.

No point simply playing kids and having them thrashed each week and banged up, therefore guys like Maister and Jones will get some games.

If Watters is having to try and save his job then the Directors are idiots as whether we win 2 games or 10 this year it is irrelevant.

We have lost Fisher so it makes sense to bring an experienced player in.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Final Team
IN: Maister, Jones, TDL, Dunell
OUT:Fisher, Ferguson, Siposs, Saad

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Final Team
I just vomited a little

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Final Team
Really disappointed with Siposs this year. As for Saad. About time. Ins really concern me too. Hope we are on the right track. Still not sure.

wonder if siposs is carrying an injury - cant see any other reason to drop him - yes he was poor last week but he wasnt the only one

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

So Joffaboy, would it be fair to say that you liked my post?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

So, for those who don't like the ins and outs, what team would you have selected?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint6 wrote:wonder if siposs is carrying an injury - cant see any other reason to drop him - yes he was poor last week but he wasnt the only one
Baffled, stop talking about the lack of development prior to you arriving if you're going to make similar decisions when push comes to shove?

Saunders Murdoch Ferguson Saad Siposs are the future?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Dunell gets a crack at, which is good, but I'm disappointed that TDL got in ahead of Saunders.

kos
Club Player

end of day tdl only has to get 1 kick to better saads performance last week!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:So, for those who don't like the ins and outs, what team would you have selected?
Unavailable: Fisher, Hayes, Schneider, Gilbert, Markworth

B: Gwilt, Simpkin, Wright
HB: Dempster, Roberton, Webster
C: Montagna, Armitage, Ross
HF: Ray, Riewoldt, Siposs
F: Milne, Stanley, Saad

Foll: McEvoy, Steven, Dal Santo
Int: Ledger, Newnes, Curren, Dunell (sub)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:So, for those who don't like the ins and outs, what team would you have selected?
Unavailable: Fisher, Hayes, Schneider, Gilbert, Markworth

B: Gwilt, Simpkin, Wright
HB: Dempster, Roberton, Webster
C: Montagna, Armitage, Ross
HF: Ray, Riewoldt, Siposs
F: Milne, Stanley, Saad

Foll: McEvoy, Steven, Dal Santo
Int: Ledger, Newnes, Curren, Dunell (sub)
replace Ray and I liked it

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

In:
TDL - Subiaco
Maister - Subiaco
CJ - Sth Freo

Cant get a game:

T Ledger - Claremont

Now I cant believe SW is this petty but is it any coincidence that the ex Subi crew get every opportunity (+ some) and Ledger who hails from their fierce rivals Claremont cant get a lock it?