Another Question?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Another Question?

How come

With a minute or so to go, a point kicked, Shannon (the cannon) Hurn kicking in.... HTF we allowed the ball to get over the back into space, with no coverage, no +1, no deep zone allowing them the back 50??

The only danger to protect.... Was the only play that wasn't protected?!

Poorly drilled?

Lack of leadership?

No coaching instruction?

How could that be??

This is all before making a long down the line entry to a packed (outnumbered) F50 when we had possession of the ball at HF... 1 point in front and 2 minutes remaining.... Wouldn't one milk 30-60 secs and try and enter methodically for a set shot... So a zone could be set up for a miss???

Just asking??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Another Question?

BigMart wrote:How come

With a minute or so to go, a point kicked, Shannon (the cannon) Hurn kicking in.... HTF we allowed the ball to get over the back into space, with no coverage, no +1, no deep zone allowing them the back 50??

Poorly drilled?

Lack of leadership?

No coaching instruction?

How could that be??

This is all before making a long down the line entry to a packed (outnumbered) F50 when we had possession of the ball at HF... 1 point in front and 2 minutes remaining.... Wouldn't one milk 30-60 secs and try and enter methodically for a set shot... So a zone could be set up for a miss???

Just asking??

All good questions. Joey actually mentioned this in an interview, said they knew they had to do that, but they messed it up.

If you look at the kick Joey should have stayed down as it spilled over the back.

Should have been defended better.

We complain (and rightly) about umpiring, but the players did everything to lose the game tonight, especially in the last quarter.

I am more concerned about our inability to run out a game. Has happened all season.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

What made it worse was that Natanui was standing in the centre square waiting for it. The kick in was always going in his direction.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

When was the last time we won a close game? 2010?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Was decision making and structure more a worry than fitness? No one behind the footy with a lead and a minute to play??

A pull the trigger play with the footy in the last two minutes with a lead to protect?? We could have controlled the tempo...

Our effort and intensity was better than the opposition IMO..... It was what we did which was costly.

Unfortunately for Joey, he made three costly errors in the last few minutes and gifted them a win.... But he played well regardless....

That being said, a courageous (yet Correct) decision and the win we deserved would have been.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It was the only play.... It was pretty obvious...

creepypolar
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:When was the last time we won a close game? 2010?
Carlton this season...

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:[
All good questions. Joey actually mentioned this in an interview, said they knew they had to do that, but they messed it up.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-09/i ... tion=sport

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I still can't over emphasise enough where all our injuries this season have been. We have had a defenders curse

Fisher -missed preseason and then possibly a broken toe when back and missed several games.
Gwilt- missed preseason came back late reinjured now getting back again but slowly.
Simpkin- Came on last year and has been injured then unsighted all year.
Gilbert- back to his best then injured with a knee.
Wright- broken jaw.
Newnes- broken jaw.
Stanley- played back injured early
ferguson- injured knee
Dempster -injured and missed games.

Goddard- FA
Gram- Delisted
Clarke- Delisted

That leaves a pretty seriously undermanned and un cohesive backline. Roberton is doing an amazing job holding the place together and is our only defender to play every game. It looks a bit shaky coming out sometimes but we are pretty good considering we had Dunnell on a handful of games, Webster on about his 3rd game, Newnes on about 18? games, Roberton on about 50 games and Dempster and Gwilt as our tall backs. no wonder we get a bit shaky when the heat turns up.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not really interested in personnel ........ Just want to know the reason we had no player behind the footy.... And had an 18 zone in this situation.... Mind boggling IMO.

Also why a leader (Joey) didn't slow it down and be smarter with possession?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Basically our defensive work across the ground, not just in the defensive half, is poor and has been all year, and especially around packs where we don't defend on the opposition goal side and this is my big issue with Watters' coaching every game. I know he was highly regarded as defensive coach at Collingwood, but some of his tactics with us are worrying me. Maybe he could go back to basics and start with the "man-up on your opponent" method.

oh when the
Club Player

where was our runner yelling instructions !

southernsaint
Club Player

In 09 and 10 we had an experienced well drilled team. have you thought that with so many younger inexperienced kids that is the reason why such things happen?

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

A great learning opportunity here - a classic lack of on ground set-up awareness. Let's hope that they view the vision of the last few minutes, over and over again and learn from how poorly they set up - it cost them the game.

That's what happens when you have so many young guys in a team. Mind you, a bit of talk from the experienced players should have made a difference, but in the heat of the moment, it's all a bit chaotic.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are you saying

Dempster, Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Gwilt, Jones, Milne, Armitage, Steven, McEvoy, Motagna to name a few, couldn't deliver some instructions for the kids.... Who btw train 5 days a week

older saint
SS Life Member

Monty summed it up they knew what they had to do they did not do it - not coaching that is on ground player responsibility they should have pushed back and made Hurn kick it 20 metres short - use time and also get the ball out of their best kicks hands.

South OZ Saint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:How come

Poorly drilled?

Lack of leadership?

No coaching instruction?

How could that be??

Just asking??
Bloody Hell so it wasn't just me !
Blind Freddie would have seen what was coming Hurn has a massive roost on him why was there no one free across halfback?