Our cheersquad: why is it so tiny ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

georgie girl
Club Player

Re: Our cheersquad: why is it so tiny ?

paulski wrote:Great idea evertonfc! An active area would be awesome!

Me and a couple of mate would be very keen on that.

Passionate supporters who don't get told to sit down when we kick a goal, like I had in my last reserved seat!

As long as it doesn't turn into the "grog squad". Would make going to the footy fun like it was at Morrabbin.

Even a standing area where there were 50 odd passionate Saints fans would do me!
Morrabbin days were awesome. I believe this was partly bc we were all grouped together, the social club, reserved seating, standing room, 'animal enclosure' and then the cheer squad near the end of the stand. It was a huge 'cheer squad' from the sense that the cheering all happened in unison.

We have a great group on level 4, I think they call themselves the 'wingnuts', we have reserved seating on the wing but social club members are on the opposite side of the ground and then the cheer squad are isolated at the end of the ground.

Unfortunately Etihad divides our member base and spreads it all around the ground. Result is little voice and little impact.

Miss those Morrabbin days!!

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

georgie girl wrote:
paulski wrote:Great idea evertonfc! An active area would be awesome!

Me and a couple of mate would be very keen on that.

Passionate supporters who don't get told to sit down when we kick a goal, like I had in my last reserved seat!

As long as it doesn't turn into the "grog squad". Would make going to the footy fun like it was at Morrabbin.

Even a standing area where there were 50 odd passionate Saints fans would do me!
Morrabbin days were awesome. I believe this was partly bc we were all grouped together, the social club, reserved seating, standing room, 'animal enclosure' and then the cheer squad near the end of the stand. It was a huge 'cheer squad' from the sense that the cheering all happened in unison.

We have a great group on level 4, I think they call themselves the 'wingnuts', we have reserved seating on the wing but social club members are on the opposite side of the ground and then the cheer squad are isolated at the end of the ground.

Unfortunately Etihad divides our member base and spreads it all around the ground. Result is little voice and little impact.

Miss those Morrabbin days!!
:wink: Moorabbin Georgie.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Is Georgie Girl the great Scottish lady who has supported and been a great contributor to our club (membership department, I think) for many years?

If so, I tip my hat to you and thank for those times when I was a child alone at games and you gave me a flag to wave.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:I've got a friend who is in the North Melb CS.
He got roped in because his son is a member.
He didn't even originally barrack for North.
For the last 10 years they were so short on numbers that he often would be asked to hold the run through post etc.
I used to be able to spot him behind the goals because their numbers were so thin.
But last Sunday the NMCS had packed out the whole bay!!
Full of Johnny come lately's.
Where were they when North was down?
Been on a holiday since 1999?
Johnny come lately's? At least they show up, they were 14th heading into last week...
I remember many games against North circa 2009-2011 when I reckon they had less supporters than Port Adelaide would have brought to Etihad. They do not show up when the going gets tough and never have (I have been attending St Kilda North matches since the Jeans era). St Kilda supporters are far more resilient and rusted on. Check their cheer squad numbers the next time they play now that they've lost to GC.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i mean seriously.....
the stevie milne stevie milne stevie milne thing has to stop

goal goal goal
whooooooo

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i mean seriously.....
the stevie milne stevie milne stevie milne thing has to stop

goal goal goal
whooooooo
I couldn't agree more.

We need a fresh start, new chants, chants that don't make me shiver whilst listening to them would be a good start.

Let us know what you got.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The numbers in the Cheer Squad area were a whole lot better today !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:The numbers in the Cheer Squad area were a whole lot better today !!
Well done Cheer squad. Prob helps tomorrow being a public holiday. These 4.40 sunday games are shite

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:It's plain embarrassing how small it is.

I reckon it is close to the smallest in the AFL.

Against the Roos it looked smaller than some games we play interstate.

WHY is it so small??
is that the answer...bigger cheer squad = better team..

Some people live in La La Land..

I mean....really...who gives a F..K about cheer squads... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
PakenhamSaint
Club Player

I think there was a surprise for the cheer squad today too:
Great to meet him.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:The numbers in the Cheer Squad area were a whole lot better today !!
thank you.

nothing to do with the weekend.

The team turned up to play today. thats what gets the crowd/fans going. when you have 9 goals kicked against us in 30 minutes its very hard to find some spirit.

but when your 1, 2 or 20 points up, very different story.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Elementary

[quote="evertonfc"]Chicken an egg.

You criticise cheersquad, they criticise back.

Been that way for, oh, say 20 years now?

Personally, I'd wind down the cheer squad, and move towards an active supporters bay.

You can still have those who have their moment in the sun of hauling up the banner, but do away with the aging, creaking nature of the Cheer Squad and their crap chants.
'
The club should target some 18-30 year old members and investigate their interest in creating a proper "active area".

Get back the spirit of the Animal Enclosure. It's in our DNA.[/quote]

Essendon tried an 'active area' a few years ago. You had to apply to the club to join. Unlike the cheersquad where you have to pay your club membership and pay cheersquad membership, Essendon gave these supporters a free home membership. They got a bay of seats free on the first row of Etihad or MCG for home games just a few bays around from the opposition cheersquad. They were also given free Essendon supporter gear to wear. You had to prove to the club you were loud and they were targetting the 18 - 30 year olds. Dont think there were any drinking requirements so beer was allowed in the area. However they only did it for one year. Guess the people wanted the freebies but not the effort. They were fine when Essendon were winning but Essendon lost when we played them and this bay were sooooo quiet. Havent seen the group again or seen it advertised. Other clubs havent taken up the idea either.

If you want more noise, apply for cheersquad membership next year when getting your membership. Be noisy and active thoughout the year and stand for the committee the following year Or if the cheersquad is not for you, take a leaf out of Richmond supporters. Their cheersquad is quite good but not anywhere near as good as the group of supporters that locate themselves in the standing area behind the opposition cheersquad and yell and cheer and chant throughout the game. They appear to have a few beers, lots of laughs and do not expect others to keep up the noise. They have created their own 'active area' or 'animal enclosure' or 'loud supporter group'. Many of the people complaining on here could join a similar group. They would be eligible for Grand Final tickets if they had social club membership which is the same requirement now for cheersquad members. They would even be able to request standing room tickets and be a very vocal group when we make another grand final.

georgie girl
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:Is Georgie Girl the great Scottish lady who has supported and been a great contributor to our club (membership department, I think) for many years?

If so, I tip my hat to you and thank for those times when I was a child alone at games and you gave me a flag to wave.
Sorry - not me!! Sounds like a wonderful lady!! :D

defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i was at the game on Sunday and got seats to the side of our cheer squad ... it was pretty sad honestly the stadium was pretty empty in general but our cheer squad was really light on numbers ....

as for interstate games .. i could 100% guarentee a full cheer squad area of Saints fans for our game against the dockers i could have 100 loud rowdy eager members ready to yell til they can no longer and wave flags and floggers like there was no tomorrow ... i could have 25 strong able bodied members ready to turn up at 8am on game day in full st kilda kit willing to help hold the players banner ... sadly the cheer squad dont want our help in WA and would rather get Freo fans or randoms to help them on game day ....

its a shame really
well said trav!!!!

i dont think ive seen more passionate saints fans than the crowd in WA, so i am sad to hear what you are posting. especially with how loud our small group is at subi. i would have thought the club and its cheer squad would engage us over here. sad to hear that is not happening

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
thank you.

The team turned up to play today. thats what gets the crowd/fans going. when you have 9 goals kicked against us in 30 minutes its very hard to find some spirit.

Dools, did you have inside info that we'd play well today so CS numbers were up?

Nup, it was because it was a home game IMO.

Maybe the CS in Melbourne only like going to home games :shock:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
thank you.

Dools, did you have inside info that we'd play well today so CS numbers were up?

Nup, it was because it was a home game IMO.

Maybe the CS in Melbourne only like going to home games :shock:
no, but i have 2 eyes and could see the team was switched on.

its not just the cheer squad. did you go to the North game and see the piss weak effort stkilda fans as a whole made to turn up? ever been to the MCG before?

PakenhamSaint
Club Player

I think what helped slightly was saints supporters buying tickets in the bays next to the cheer squad. Sometimes you end up with a lot of people from the opposition taking up those seats. I've sat there a few times and each time I've been glad I did.