Tom ledger?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom ledger?

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:Would like to see him play 3 in a row, sink or swim time.

Same goes for Curren, lets have a look at them at AFL level do we can make call before the end of this year.

Never get this 3 in a row thing. many happy to get rid of ferg after one game. 3 in a row works if a player is ok in the first game. if they arent people forget they wanted them to play 3 in a row.
You do so 'get it'...

Some players just rise to the level when they are given a chance.. Like Ross has, looked average at VFL level, but has not looked out of his depth in the AFL.

1 game is clearly not enough for anyone, Ferg should have been given another go, who did he get Petrie? Reminiscent of Lynch going to fletcher on debut.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Spoke with Tom Ledger in depth on Monday night. On field confidence to take the game on when he gets the ball has been his big issue. He looks at his pre draft form and his senior and NAB games early on and he recognizes that his game has changed for whatever reason. Has the next 10 games to find his footy feet again. Very nice guy. Really friendly. Seemed well liked amongst the younger group. Wondering if plugger66 and Mart are talking about some of the older players?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Spoke with Tom Ledger in depth on Monday night. On field confidence to take the game on when he gets the ball has been his big issue. He looks at his pre draft form and his senior and NAB games early on and he recognizes that his game has changed for whatever reason. Has the next 10 games to find his footy feet again. Very nice guy. Really friendly. Seemed well liked amongst the younger group. Wondering if plugger66 and Mart are talking about some of the older players?

I certainly know who i am talking about. As i said it was a while ago and has no bearing on not getting a game.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Have seen him dressed down by AFL coach, VFL coach, senior players in interviews he has been named by players as being a player the coaches bake the most often, also bagged by player for being a tool....

Vs Casey and BH he looked extremely annoyed and as though he didn't want any part in it, heart was not in it... Strangely enough against Frankston he was really vocal and supportive....

3 games in three years suggests he has been given limited opportunity?? Surely his last few seasons of numerous games in the best... Put him ahead of a similar style mid in Josh Saunders, who is not at Ledgers level... Not even close?!

BTW
I don't think Ledger and Ross are very similar.... Ross is a big bodied, quite slow, but creative inside mid... Poor mans Dal/Pendles/Hodge/Armo... He doesn't always butcher it, but if we judge him on one game at 19yo we could assume that... Composure is a quality for him, sometimes he's too slow as a result... Not a huge possession winner yet.

Ledger is a small inside mid, very quick around the contest and wins a lot of clearances. He does kick it without composure quite often. He is more in he Steven mould. Only difference is, Steven runs out of congestion with the footy more (more aware) Ledger will kick from congestion blindly. Ledger is a ball magnet.

Both players are very tough.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Isn't it odd, there were no senior players playing last week when he seemed to enjoy himself even more.... Even though they were getting smashed by 100??

I think the leadership group and coaches treat him like Beetham got treated by GT and Hamill and Co in 2002

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

2+2= 5.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I don't believe Ross and Dunell have done more in the VFL to warrent a game in front of Ledger. I don't understand why he can't get a shot while we are holding up the ladder. The bloke can get the pill. Dunell's kicking, especially at goal, surely couldn't be that much better than Tom's.

Selhurst Saint wrote:
tony74 wrote:Both Ledger and Ross are quite similar. Both get a lot of the ball but both butcher it. Don't think you can play them both. Either one or the other. And as for Ledger not being popular among team mates. You got to be joking. By the way Saunders was good on Sunday.
You are completely off the mark here, Sebs disposal is as good as any player in the senior team.
Are you serious? I think your completely off the mark here. So you think Sebs' disposal is as good as say Dal santo's? Not even close if you ask me. Would put him on par with Clint Jones.. Seb's kicking is atrocious!! Didnt hit a target on the weekend. Don't know if it's a fitness thing or not but he lacks penetration in his kicking. Needs to improve or I wouldn't even bother giving him games. Can't afford to have players with crap skills in your team these days.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:I don't believe Ross and Dunell have done more in the VFL to warrent a game in front of Ledger. I don't understand why he can't get a shot while we are holding up the ladder.
this

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Me too. Play Ledger. In fact play him from now until the end of the year. What have we got to lose?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Me too. Play Ledger. In fact play him from now until the end of the year. What have we got to lose?

So how many get that chance or it it only him. What about Curren, shenton and one or two others?

savatage
SS Life Member

I know it may affect our premiership chances this year if we play him but it needs to be done - so we can at least make up our minds about the list next year. Tom Curren also fits into this category.

savatage
SS Life Member

8856brother wrote:I don't believe Ross and Dunell have done more in the VFL to warrent a game in front of Ledger. I don't understand why he can't get a shot while we are holding up the ladder. The bloke can get the pill. Dunell's kicking, especially at goal, surely couldn't be that much better than Tom's.
Agreed, although Dunnell's disposal is usually pretty good - hopefully with a few more games in the big time - he can get his confidence on goal up.

PurpleHayes
Club Player

To the sandy followers - Who's next in line out of Ledger or Curren?

savatage
SS Life Member

Being that Ledger's on the senior list - you'd have to say Ledge - but you'd want a good look at them both ASAP either way.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I struggle to see why Ledger has not played more games than he has. It's time he was given a chance and it doesn't matter at who's expense, also elevate Curren and play him in place if TDL.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if Ross would take Ledger to Freo if he was delisted by the Saints, not sure he'd add much, his co-draftee, Cripps, is not doing much at the Eagles.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
savatage
SS Life Member

Ross loved Tom Ledger - you'd have to think that would be a realistic option.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And you'd suggest Ross knows a reasonable footy player.... I trust his footy judgement over SW

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:And you'd suggest Ross knows a reasonable footy player.... I trust his footy judgement over SW
Ross knows a good role player. :)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I would like Tom to play a role... In our crap midfield

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I would like Tom to play a role... In our crap midfield
I would like us to play modern footy and have forwards and mids rotating through our midfield.

They are not going to be less crap with another kid added to the lineup, needs a lot more work than that.

Why are the only team playing in this outdated fashion?

defacto
Club Player

BigMart wrote:And you'd suggest Ross knows a reasonable footy player.... I trust his footy judgement over SW
if ross loves him so much he can draft him or trade him. i suspect he wont

ledgers development has stalled, he is not AFL standard. doesnt have the football smarts, athleticism, reaction or co-ordination for a top lever player IMO

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
8856brother wrote:I don't believe Ross and Dunell have done more in the VFL to warrent a game in front of Ledger. I don't understand why he can't get a shot while we are holding up the ladder. The bloke can get the pill. Dunell's kicking, especially at goal, surely couldn't be that much better than Tom's.
Agreed, although Dunnell's disposal is usually pretty good - hopefully with a few more games in the big time - he can get his confidence on goal up.
Dunnell's set shot kicking for goal is atrocious if his efforts on the weekend are anything to go by - that said he's not alone in that department :evil:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Andreous
Club Player

As I am in Tassie I can only follow players like Ledger on the great highlights packages show on the Saints Website (great new addition!)
While he seems to get alot of the ball they don't show him setting up the forwards very often it is usually a bomb forward or a scruffy kick out of the pack.

His info on the Saints website says his kicking skills are one of his strengths. Maybe he should be used off the back flank or on the wing, to change up his game plan. Why use him in the middle if he can't play that role in the seniors???????

Thanks for everyone's great comments. It helps for us isolated ones in the far South. Go Saints.