Good article on Mitch Thorp

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good article on Mitch Thorp

It's not really about the level of the comp... It's more about the level of the player...

Of Course Baldock was playing in the second/third best league in Tas in the 50/60's (NWFU) not in the WAFL, not in the VFA, not in the SANFL.... Took him at 24 yo

There are plenty of examples of players been taken from a minor league and making the grade...
Jason Dunstall from the QAFL

Question is... Why did this hugely talented kid fail first time around?? Why can't he have matured??

How do I know he is the best player in that league.... I am from there, my entire family lives there, I have relative who play in the TSL
Really, he's probably behind Jason Laycock, Brady Jones and Adam Derbyshire are right up there...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I have an idea. lets wait and see who is available. A guy has an article written on him so some think he is worth getting. There are players who just arent good enough. One of the best in a low league. May as well try and get one of the best out of B grade ammos or SFL. Im sure they will be just as good but there maybe better out there. As I suggested if we want players from a lower league then go for Cain from Port Melb or Allan from the pies seconds. 2 ready made AFL players IMO.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It's not really about the level of the comp... It's more about the level of the player...

Of Course Baldock was playing in the second/third best league in Tas in the 50/60's (NWFU) not in the WAFL, not in the VFA, not in the SANFL.... Took him at 24 yo

There are plenty of examples of players been taken from a minor league and making the grade...
Jason Dunstall from the QAFL

Question is... Why did this hugely talented kid fail first time around?? Why can't he have matured??

How do I know he is the best player in that league.... I am from there, my entire family lives there, I have relative who play in the TSL
Really, he's probably behind Jason Laycock, Brady Jones and Adam Derbyshire are right up there...
the doc was captain coach of latrobe in the nwfu....he was a super star long before he became an vfl player and a coach at 19 years of age also captain coached tasmania...........we were the third club to sign himmafter the dees and the swannies hold on him expired...........nwfu...third best leaguen in tassie in 1961?????????many would argue against that....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He was a very talented kid thats why he went high in the draft. He was taken as a forward and while he was injured the Hawks played two kids called Roughhead and Franklin who developed okay and held the ford posts. Thorp and Dowler were surplus and not showing enough so were shown the door. We would be dumb not to send a scout out to have a bit of video made up and see if he looks worthy of a spot. I wonder what he's like asa a KPB?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He currently sits on top of the media POTY award on 17 votes

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He was a very talented kid thats why he went high in the draft. He was taken as a forward and while he was injured the Hawks played two kids called Roughhead and Franklin who developed okay and held the ford posts. Thorp and Dowler were surplus and not showing enough so were shown the door. We would be dumb not to send a scout out to have a bit of video made up and see if he looks worthy of a spot. I wonder what he's like asa a KPB?

Some players just arent good enough. there were rumours on here and thank god it was only on here we may get dowler. He isnt a very good VFL footballer let alone AFL gfootballer. There are hundreds of footballers out there. why not give someone who hasnt been given a go a chance. we may pick up a star.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I am from the NW of Tassie and know a bit about its history and the players taken from them....

The 'union' was indeed a strong country league.... But the TANFL and NTFA had population on their side.

The point being made (in case you missed it) was not about Docs ability, that was obvious to everyone.... But he was a superstar, in basically a country league (east Devonport and Latrobe had less than 3000 population then) and players can be identified out of less than a state league. That argument is silly.... Rioli was recruited from Melville Island.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Rioli was a talented kid who did well in the draft combine and had recruiters looking at him ... Thorp seems to be a VFL level player doing good things in a lower comp ...

bit like Shaun McManus from freo he would get dropped to the WAFL and kill it with 40 possesions then come into AFL and be a crab .... Fev kick 12 goals the other day .. should we look at him ?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
gringo
Saintsational Legend

We should be identifying talent from anywhere there is talent -just gambling on a kid that maybe could be a star isn't any more effective in the averages than targetting state league players or similar. We have had crap luck with recruits from anywhere since Armo and Steven pretty much until recently. Schides and Dempster are probably our two best recruits under Lyon on games played and talent so far. Of the pile of kids not many remain.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

McPhee should have gotten Thorpe down to Sandy, we could've been having a look at him and if he was any good then Sandy might be a little more competitive.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Shaun McManus play around 200 games, Captain Freo & finish top 5 in their B&F a number of years in a row??

What sort of crab is that...

I wasn't referring to Cyril Rioli

Thorpe went to Tassie because Hess country kid from there.... He has two brothers playing with him ATM

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Didn't Shaun McManus play around 200 games, Captain Freo & finish top 5 in their B&F a number of years in a row??

What sort of crab is that...

I wasn't referring to Cyril Rioli

Thorpe went to Tassie because Hess country kid from there.... He has two brothers playing with him ATM

Sounds like a guy keen to get back to the AFL then.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The Hun reporting that we are one of the clubs keeping an eye on Thorp. Lets see if the bloke gets another crack.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bergsone
SS Life Member

Can he play as CHB/FB? If he can,then a throw away pick

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I am from the NW of Tassie and know a bit about its history and the players taken from them....

The 'union' was indeed a strong country league.... But the TANFL and NTFA had population on their side.

The point being made (in case you missed it) was not about Docs ability, that was obvious to everyone.... But he was a superstar, in basically a country league (east Devonport and Latrobe had less than 3000 population then) and players can be identified out of less than a state league. That argument is silly.... Rioli was recruited from Melville Island.
I would argue that Rioli was recruited from Scotch College.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i stand by my comment the Tassie comp isnt an ammos comp my bad but still i doubt if he wasnt originialy drafted as a early draft pick there would be a story writen about him... is he even the best in that tassie comp ? the artical doesnt sound like he is dominating hes just the best in a historically poor team ... he is classed as a class above in the recent game against the NEAFL... well to be blunt about it that doesnt sound like a big effort considering ...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6639927838

by that we should be looking at the entire SANFL team !!

Im all for looking to state comps to get players but considering the whining on here about the drafting of Beau (who actually has dominated WAFL level for two seasons) i cant Thorp being some one we will activly chase
Posters on here don't recruit the players, the club does, it doesn't matter how much crapola we write on here, it has no bearing on reality, the Pelican and his merry men will do the recruiting, we will do the whining post that.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'd have him on our list over say… a recently recruited small forward… a mid that can't kick or a GOP that has no genuine position.

PurpleHayes
Club Player

Tom Lee was an AFL discard. He's coming along nicely isn't he?

Who's to say the same couldn't happen with Mitch Thorp? He's only 2 years older than Lee.

Everyone wants us to give up nothing and land a superstar or high draft pick! Simply doesn't work like that.

We MIGHT take a punt on Thorp, but with a late draft pick it will be a calculated punt and cost us nothing in reality.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure there has been more than 1 Rioli play AFL/VFL???

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

PurpleHayes wrote:Tom Lee was an AFL discard. He's coming along nicely isn't he?

Who's to say the same couldn't happen with Mitch Thorp? He's only 2 years older than Lee.

Everyone wants us to give up nothing and land a superstar or high draft pick! Simply doesn't work like that.

We MIGHT take a punt on Thorp, but with a late draft pick it will be a calculated punt and cost us nothing in reality.
Tom Lee also came out and dominated in the WAFL in order to get his second shot ... Thorp seems to be playing well in a lower comp so he can play with his brothers ... if he has something then rookie pick him if not there are many others worth looking at

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I'm sure there has been more than 1 Rioli play AFL/VFL???

And Im sure you meant the one playing at Hawthorn. It isnt hard to say.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

As a reference I can tell you that NEAFL is a long way off VFL. Took me thirty seconds to work that out based on skill and size. I don't think the ACTFL exists anymore; the best ACT teams merged into NEAFL in 2011, and local reserve and other teams are known as division one, two etc...

Walsh looked pretty good playing in NEAFL, but to his detriment, it was a step down in his development. Maybe something he didn't consider.

My point is; the league you play in means a lot imo.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He would be worth asking over for training in the of season.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Have we got still enough room on the rookie list to give Mitch another crack, I reckon from watching him very closely this year he has got his s*** together and the bloke can play

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Have we got still enough room on the rookie list to give Mitch another crack, I reckon from watching him very closely this year he has got his s*** together and the bloke can play
Fev not available?