Disappointing efforts stood out

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Disappointing efforts stood out

I think we can safely say, that was a terrific effort against the dockers... As much as I can't stand hearing kudos for defeat, that was not a mediocre performance by any means... Again, first class effort, players had a real crack...

Well most did, some it seemed did not...

Raise discussion on the following 4 players

Nick Dal Santo
Did not push himself, accepted the tag and was meekly defeated in the first half, body language was one of defeat and dis interest, and did not break out of a jog in a few pretend chases, was poor at the contest and did not go.... When he had to, in one contest. Really disappointing from a great player.

Rhys Stanley
Just a really poor effort, and on a few occasions didn't even make an effort. He need to get some hardness and desire into his game and creat a contest. No good having attributes without using them.

James Gwilt
Worse game I've ever seen him play! Trailed in as a defender, but that's normal... He's not the best stopper. However, with the footy he Lacked awareness, composure and was horrible with the footy... Those are usually his strengths. I'm not sure he had a fair dinkum crack in every contest, occasionally I think he gave up.

Ahmed Saad
I think his effort was OK when the footy was around him sometimes, but he was fairly ineffectual most o the game... But he is an opportunist fwd, and he made the most of his two opportunities I suppose. What was disappointing wa his opponent, Lee Spurr (not talking Corey Enright here) absolutely led him a merry dance. 9 touches, 3 tackles.... Spurr 25 touches... That's too much drive from a BP..... I suppose Clancee did similar to TDL

How did everyone see these players games? BTW, the kids... Newnes, Saunders, Wright, Murdoch, Lee.... Efforts were 10/10

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Disappointing efforts stood out

I agree with you bigmart
Not good enough . We aren't 3rd bottom for nothing .
You'd think we were top 3 with most of our posters undying loyalty to our players.

I don't see how we can maintain all of fisher dempster gwilt and gilbo on our list when modern footy is played at a frenetic pace where you have numbers at the contest. None of these these guys really suit the modern game.

When u remember we have Roberton simpkin and Webster coming up and we all know we are going for a key defender for next season. Just doesn't add up to have so many middle sized defenders.

Then you have to wonder what purpose is served by having all hickey Rhys and Macca.

And lord knows having saad milera and tdl in the same side leads many of us to tear our hair out.

Something has to give.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Annoyed with the idea of small forwards. Carlscum have 3 who seem to play just like Saad, behind the opponent and hope ball comes over the top so they can run onto it and use their speed.
When your opponents work you out, you become one-dimensional and of no use at all.
Saad and the others will never be match-winners for us or gamechangers.
Just the icing on the cake for hard work done by mids and big forwards.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ten medium tall HBFs 6 small fwds (some play KPB) and 4 genuine ruckmen..... Not an unbalanced list at all?

How funny was Gwilt standing Sandilands?! Luckily Sandy was so rusty, we could have played TDL on him and he still wouldn't have caught it....

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

You may find out later there was a reason for Gwilts poor foot skills.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Sandy 211, Jimmy a bit under 190?
Looked like CJ vs Travis Cloke!

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What an excuse?

Buckets
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:What an excuse?

More like an injury BigMart. But don't let that spoil it for you.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

I would add Armo to the disappointments.

Not because he wasn't passable, but because I think he could be elite if he really wanted to be. Someone should tell him that the natural enemy of great is good.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He ran out on the ground, therefore no excuse... I hate excuses

If injured, don't play... It's that simple.

Or play, turn the ball over, be sloppy, kick it out on the full twice under no pressure and miss tackles.

Buckets
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:He ran out on the ground, therefore no excuse... I hate excuses

Or play, turn the ball over, be sloppy, kick it out on the full twice under no pressure and miss tackles.

No he got injured in the 1st quarter. Jabbed up for the rest of the game.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Sainter93
Club Player

I would have put Farren Ray in there, coughed the ball up as much as Gwilt!

starsign
Club Player

Sainter93 wrote:I would have put Farren Ray in there, coughed the ball up as much as Gwilt!
Agree!
I'm a Fazza fan but he had few too many absolute shockers that hurt bad

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:You may find out later there was a reason for Gwilts poor foot skills.
We appear to have had our worst run with injury since the GT era.

What do you think is behind it??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

What a crock of s***. Perhaps he would love to rest and Watters would love to rest him but he chose to put his body and reputation on the line for the undermanned team. Not ideal but sometimes players battle against injuries for the benefit of the team.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
busso mick
Club Player

Nick dal Santo - Crowley gave him a bath in first half, got a few nice touches in the clinches. Set up a lot of our plays in the second half when the sting was out of the game.
Stanley - was a spectator most of the game and added nothing to our forward line.If he wasn't 200cm and athletic he would not get a game as he looked like a pretender yesterday. Lee showed him where to run to and how to compete.
Gwilt - kicking was sub-standard and missed targets but competed alright in aerial contests. He looked like he was a bit sore as he was one-paced and didn't provide much run for us. The lack of a big tall in defence stands out like a pimple on a pumpkin.
Saad - is all at sea when the ball comes in high and he has to compete for a mark, Spurr outpointed him every time in one on one. Did alright when the ball hit the deck but doesn't get to the right places when the big forwards are competing. He was a late starter in taking up the game and it showed in how he reads the play. 2 goals is a fair return but was well beaten yesterday.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:

What a crock of s***. Perhaps he would love to rest and Watters would love to rest him but he chose to put his body and reputation on the line for the undermanned team. Not ideal but sometimes players battle against injuries for the benefit of the team.
+1
COMMENT REMOVED BY MOD WITH PERMISSION FROM THE POSTER. AS A RESULT NO WARNING WAS ISSUED

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

What is wrong with NDS? Worst season in the RW&B so far. Does he have an injury or is it all above the shoulders?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I am personally really proud of our effort and am not even concerned about the margin. I was worried about our draft picks at one stage. I thought Dal was good and last month of footy has been good after a slow start. He's always been a keep his feet off the pack type more than a hands and knees pack crasher. His contested disposal figures are obviously elevated because he works in the midfield where they measure them with someone in the vacinity. When we are down we look for scapegoats.

Stanley needs to be given a set role and isn't a concern yet. Should be a ruck forward IMO but with Big Mac and Hickey he's all at sea. Gwilt has been given runs on Vickery and Sandi in two weeks and isn't much bigger than Lenny. Freo pressure all over the ground and can make the best teams look fumbly. Saad is an opportunist forward and like Milney relies on scraps- Milne is good at making the most of his limited shots, Saad isn't that far behind and worth persisting with as is TDL. TDL will probably need to get up the ground to extend his career though.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:You may find out later there was a reason for Gwilts poor foot skills.
he injured mate????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
paulski
Club Player

Yep, Nick Dal Santo's pretend chases really pissed me off.
If he hasn't got the ball, he's not interested in applying pressure.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

paulski wrote:Yep, Nick Dal Santo's pretend chases really pissed me off.
If he hasn't got the ball, he's not interested in applying pressure.
Not a good role model at all.
At least Ben busted his gut to chase down that small Docker but Dal wants to save his energy.
SW should help him save energy by benching him.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Back to Saad, his opponent knocked up taking easy marks. He is no shorter than Milney, yet Milney gives his opponent a contest all of the time. Both Saad and TDL should take a leaf out of Milne's book.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Here's a few observations.. Ball butchery by foot, and some of those not under any pressure, AND by experienced players like Armo and Ray..if players can't field-kick and continue to turn the ball over, then it should be back to the VFL until it is sorted out. NDS got dropped by Lyon years back for a his slack work off the ball- still an issue. Stanley is a disappointment for me- good athlete, ordinary footballer..nuff said. Good signs from young players Hickey, Murdoch, and Saunders but naturally ran out of puff later in the game. Midfield is our number one biggest problem and is one that will give Watters a lot of headaches for a while, maybe Fisher needs to be on the long term injury list and elevate Curren who appears to be a bright prospect in the midfield?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Dal - certainly seemed down, early in the second Q I think was just jogging back when younger players were helter skelter desperation. Would take a trade for the great man now.

Gwilt - not great, but will put it down to a bad game, started by lining up on Sandilands for God's sake. He would be as tired as anyone , for not having a proper full back

Saad - his mark in the last Q should have been paid...was not hands in the back....that said, seems to be chasing and not getting near it.

Rhys - be patient folks, he'll turn the corner, at least he's up the right end of the playing field. Going back to defence messed with his mind, and he does need to mentally toughen up, but will be a good player given a run in that one position for the rest of the year (and career)

Nee!