Well done CJ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6
Club Player

Re: Well done CJ

skeptic wrote:I didn't see the game but kudos on CJ playing well...

the thing is that he doesn't play many games like that anymore. His decline started mid 2010 and as the years go by, he's playing fewer and fewer good games.

I don't mind keeping him on the list as I think he contributes to the club in many ways both on and off the field, I'm just inclined to say he needs to be dropped quicker when he plays bad games.

A player like Wright or Saad, you can u/s persevering with them when they put in a few good games. Seb Ross too. You don't get that with CJ
decline in 2010 may have been related to a stress fracture in his foot which he played out the year with including the drawn grand final

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saint6 wrote:
skeptic wrote: decline in 2010 may have been related to a stress fracture in his foot which he played out the year with including the drawn grand final
not only that but SINCE 2010 his disposal keeps getting better
CJ gets judged way more harshly than any other player on the list for clangers, and given his disposals are mostly under pressure, he makes good decisions
He gets the toughest job week in week out, often turning the tables as a defensive player into a goal kicker
Will he be in the side when we next climb up the ladder - no - should he be there when the next bunch of kids are establishing themselves?
each & every week

Seeya
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

IMO he has always been hard at it , its just his disposal that is average.
Lyon knows this , last year he wanted CJ to get plenty of the ball cos he knows how much he turns it over .
Was yesterday any different ?
75% disposal effiency compared to the teams 68%
So you'ld have to say he was better than most !

Will he be there next year ?

In red white and black from 73
dragit
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Was yesterday any different ?
75% disposal effiency compared to the teams 68%
So you'ld have to say he was better than most !
Disposal efficiency is a misleading stat in isolation…

CJ had 6 kicks 11 handballs.

I clearly remember 2 kicks into our forward 50 that went to a bunch of fremantle players & surely with a handball you should be hitting a target 8-9 times out of ten?

He had a pretty good game & even kicked a nice goal, but the "disposal efficiency stat" says that CJ is as good as Ablett, and we know that is just ridiculous.

Beekay
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Better game this week. No good at all for our future but he does his job very well. Wont help us at all next year. Like his effort though.
plugger66 wrote:4 weeks ago most wanted him delisted. Footy is really week to week. i will guess there will be delisted threads at least twice again before the season is out.
So it's O.K for you to commend him on his game, while acknowledging he shouldn't be apart of the future.....

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He is a guy who you want to teach the young guys because he is a solid citizen with a great work rate and a no complaints attitude when given shitty tasks that others might not want. I would delist plenty before him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Better game this week. No good at all for our future but he does his job very well. Wont help us at all next year. Like his effort though.
plugger66 wrote:4 weeks ago most wanted him delisted. Footy is really week to week. i will guess there will be delisted threads at least twice again before the season is out.
So it's O.K for you to commend him on his game, while acknowledging he shouldn't be apart of the future.....

I didnt say it wasnt ok on others to comment. i just said what i think on the subject.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He is a guy who you want to teach the young guys because he is a solid citizen with a great work rate and a no complaints attitude when given shitty tasks that others might not want. I would delist plenty before him.

So who would they be gringo. As much as probably most on here dont want certain players retired or delisted it has to happen. I think CJ may have been dropped twice this and this and at least once last year. he will be about 30 years old next season. I am a fan of CJ and said it early this year and many said i was wrong. He was then dropped and many said they were then right. he is back in and playing well but decisions have to be made on the clubs future. i reckon he is 50/50 for next season. Like to hear who you think may go allowing for there being 8 games to go which makes it a little hard.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:He is a guy who you want to teach the young guys because he is a solid citizen with a great work rate and a no complaints attitude when given shitty tasks that others might not want. I would delist plenty before him.

So who would they be gringo. As much as probably most on here dont want certain players retired or delisted it has to happen. I think CJ may have been dropped twice this and this and at least once last year. he will be about 30 years old next season. I am a fan of CJ and said it early this year and many said i was wrong. He was then dropped and many said they were then right. he is back in and playing well but decisions have to be made on the clubs future. i reckon he is 50/50 for next season. Like to hear who you think may go allowing for there being 8 games to go which makes it a little hard.
Why don't you put up a Guess the delistings thread, I'll have a crack 8 weeks out.
I see CJ staying...just...depending on trades etc.

saint6
Club Player

maverick wrote:
Why don't you put up a Guess the delistings thread, I'll have a crack 8 weeks out.
I see CJ staying...just...depending on trades etc.
Dont really want to see a guess the delistings thread. Can only imagine how many negative comments that would lead to.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He has earned his spot...

I didn't think he was in SW plans to be perfectly honest, so he's continued selection has surprised me, but I certainly don't hold anything against Jones. He is a hard worker, made the most of himself for sure.

He isn't the one I'd tip out to give guys like Ledger, Curren a crack....that would be from Milera/TDL/Saad

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I clearly remember 2 kicks into our forward 50 that went to a bunch of fremantle players & surely with a handball you should be hitting a target 8-9 times out of ten?

He had a pretty good game & even kicked a nice goal, but the "disposal efficiency stat" says that CJ is as good as Ablett, and we know that is just ridiculous.
and I clearly remembering Montagna, Ray, & and NDS making dogs of their forward 50 entries
Handballs under pressure to our advantage are HUGE possessions.
I will always maintain that some posters ignore the good stats, judge him with different criteria & only remember bad disposals
(especially from years past)

Seeya
maverick
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
dragit wrote:I clearly remember 2 kicks into our forward 50 that went to a bunch of fremantle players & surely with a handball you should be hitting a target 8-9 times out of ten?

and I clearly remembering Montagna, Ray, & and NDS making dogs of their forward 50 entries
Handballs under pressure to our advantage are HUGE possessions.
I will always maintain that some posters ignore the good stats, judge him with different criteria & only remember bad disposals
Yep at the game too.
BJ r Lenny turn it over its bad luck, Raph or Chicago do the same thing bagged to high heaven....

dragit
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:I will always maintain that some posters ignore the good stats, judge him with different criteria & only remember bad disposals
That is probably true, but there is only one reason why he is in & out of the side this year & last year… because his skills are clearly sub standard.
I heard Watters saying earlier this year that effort just isn't enough and he wanted the older players lead by example through effort & skill, not just effort.
CJ has been good this year, so I shouldn't rain on his parade, a positive thread… apologies.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saint6 wrote:
skeptic wrote:I didn't see the game but kudos on CJ playing well...

the thing is that he doesn't play many games like that anymore. His decline started mid 2010 and as the years go by, he's playing fewer and fewer good games.

I don't mind keeping him on the list as I think he contributes to the club in many ways both on and off the field, I'm just inclined to say he needs to be dropped quicker when he plays bad games.

A player like Wright or Saad, you can u/s persevering with them when they put in a few good games. Seb Ross too. You don't get that with CJ
decline in 2010 may have been related to a stress fracture in his foot which he played out the year with including the drawn grand final
Thats interesting. Didn't know that..

The thing is, going into the game vs collingwood, (roo hammy game), the pies players all hip n shouldered him and pressured him as at that point he was close to being the inform player of the comp... An elite midfielder if u will.

Hasn't come close to reaching or sustaining form like that in the 2.5 years since. Lost form as a tagger, less effective as a midfielder though has the odd great game as 1 or another, sometmes both.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Remaining currently competitive/being successful vs building a future is a balancing act.... Something we've got horribly wrong on both accounts historically....

CJ will always keep you there a outs, given his consistent effort competitiveness...... Will his deficiencies/age help future success??

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Hasn't come close to reaching or sustaining form like that in the 2.5 years since. Lost form as a tagger, less effective as a midfielder though has the odd great game as 1 or another, sometmes both.
then you dont watch his games
his averages have not dropped

Seeya
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

His performance and effectiveness have... He's nowhere near an elite player ss come on

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

He was great on Hill and shows the kids the intensity required.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

great game by jones

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Remaining currently competitive/being successful vs building a future is a balancing act.... Something we've got horribly wrong on both accounts historically....

CJ will always keep you there a outs, given his consistent effort competitiveness...... Will his deficiencies/age help future success??
Getting the balance right is where I get the feeling SW is coaching really well. I think he has managed to sell the rebuild plan to the older guys even though there was an initial reaction, arguably Dal is not on the same page.

It also looks like SW is introducing new guys at a good speed and whilst our win/loss is not high we have at least not been blown away in too many games. In actual fact we've competed really well especially against some of the stronger teams and only lost it due to lack of steam in the final quarter which is symptomatic of a young side.

Hoges
Club Player

so if he continues to play like he did agains Blues and Freo do people seriously think he should be delisted next year ?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hoges wrote:so if he continues to play like he did agains Blues and Freo do people seriously think he should be delisted next year ?

Still think it depends on how many picks we want and what happens to someother older guys.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

There's something extremely gratifying about watching Jones succeeding. Seems to have done a stack of work on his kicking. It's the first time since his debut season that he's had more kicks than handballs.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Hoges
Club Player

Munga wrote:There's something extremely gratifying about watching Jones succeeding. Seems to have done a stack of work on his kicking. It's the first time since his debut season that he's had more kicks than handballs.
Yes - matched with overall vision & decision making in disposal - 2 years ago he would just kick high up & unders down the ground in hope - good to see our coaches have improved his skills