Arryn Siposs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Arryn Siposs

I think the expectations on him were about 1.5 years in advance of where he is at physically with this body, tank etc. Armitage and Stanley suffered form this a little too , showed a bit early then other teams put some work in to them and they fell away before coming back.
I agree with whoever says he needs a bigger tank and perhaps drop a couple kg's to be lighter and play as a half forward flanker role like O'Keefe used to .

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:what do you expect?
Or do we just expect way too much of a kid?
Well, considering there was a lot of talk about him being Goddard's replacement and the club was using his image for membership drive etc, I expected quite a bit at the start of the season.

Should I have expected what he has given so far this season instead?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think he may have started thinking that he had "made it".

Not a slight on the kid, but we signed him up early, as we should have.

Next year should see his head in the game a lot more. He has a lot of talent.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Siposstar#2
Club Player

I really hope he makes it otherwise my name will look silly in years to come.
I honesty believe he will. I watched him closely in the Collingwood game. He quite easily coul have kicked 4 if he had kicked straight.Which he will in the future with more games on the big stage. To get that many shots at goal is no easy feat. He also looked very tired after the first contest and really struggled to back it up for 2-3 contests in a row. Hopefully another Pre season he should lift and by 2015 will really be a top 10 player for us.
Also have met him out a few times and unlike other players from other clubs I have seen out. He wasnt on the gear which is a positive. And also was very happy to chat to me. Which would suggest he doesn't love himself to much at all. Also told me how big the step up is to afl.
I have faith. I Think markworth, newnes, siposs will all be guns for us.

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He will be OK

Another pre season, more fitness, more strength, more learning from coaching/mentors

He's had some attitude and reality checks already in his footy, and has foot back.... Made possible because of ability coupled with self belief

He will make it IMO because he can play... It's that simple

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I hope he makes it, he has a lot of work to do though before he catches up to his suggested potential.

Maybe Micale should invite Siposs down to the academy, show him what they do there and how he, Siposs, might benefit from a few visits.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

My major issue with SW is that at times as a club we have appeared not to have a clear direction going forward... This has been reflected in our team selections, positioning etc (though also has made me wonder if SW really has dived in the development thing and is happy to experiment and lose from time to time).

Siposs is one major symptom of thhat lack of direction.

He was drafted as a forward, showed promise as a forward and then all of a sudden BJ left and it was decided that hey Arryn has good disposal too so should therefore play as a running back. To this point he doesn't have the tank for the extra running and its effected his disposal and negated his major strength which was his kicking at goal.

The club really needs to decide what they want to do with him. For now, IMO he shld play strictly as a forward as he builds up his tank

Greg T
Club Player

Don't know why he's not being played every week.
Booming kick, loves the club...
Give him a go FFs

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
noob
Club Player

Greg T wrote:Don't know why he's not being played every week.
Give him a go FFs
Maybe that's one of the reasons.. he doesn't lower his eyes.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Takes more physical effort to play as a fwd than as a defender.... A sweeper in particular (Goddards role)

Fwds push up, and back, the apply pressure in the press...

Defenders sit off, and hold there ground a move up on slow plays with the footy.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: He was drafted as a forward, showed promise as a forward and then all of a sudden BJ left and it was decided that hey Arryn has good disposal too so should therefore play as a running back. To this point he doesn't have the tank for the extra running and its effected his disposal and negated his major strength which was his kicking at goal.

The club really needs to decide what they want to do with him. For now, IMO he shld play strictly as a forward as he builds up his tank
Almost every player is drafted as either a fwd or a mid. rarely do key defenders or defenders at all get drafted - most of them are turned into defenders by the club they are drafted to. Siposs will just have to adapt if he wants to play at the highest level. His form has been disappointing, but we probably all had the bar too high for him. As someone said, he is still only 20. 2 more years should see him really come on

resaintlee
Club Player

He is very skilled and can be great for us. I reckon Arryn may not be well as his alertness lets him down so often. Has he had glandular fever, Ross river fever or something similar?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:Don't know why he's not being played every week.
Give him a go FFs

His form isnt good enough. He is in his third year and no way should be gifted games. If he wants to play it may help to get more than 8 possessions in a pretty poor comp the week before.

Kiedis
Club Player

bigred wrote:I think he may have started thinking that he had "made it".

Not a slight on the kid, but we signed him up early, as we should have.

Next year should see his head in the game a lot more. He has a lot of talent.
Who knows what Arryn's thinking.. as a young player not getting a game, probably not that.

Wouldn't think many 19/20 year olds just entering the AFL system would be that confident of themselves. Pretty sure It'd be a fairly big, daunting deal for them.

Everything they've ever strived for. They know It's cutthroat.

Surely they, just like us in our respective jobs, know when they've truly made it.

I think WE may have started thinking he had "made it".

sax
Club Player

Are we expecting too much from a pick 75?

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:Are we expecting too much from a pick 75?

He wasnt pick 75 when people said he would be as good as BJ across HB.

Macca82

Carrying a shoulder injury which will require surgery at the end of the year

sax
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

They were quite obviously geniuses? We're you one of them Plugger?

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

needs some psychological training to build up some viciousness and hunger

he looks docile and apathetic

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

skeptic wrote:My major issue with SW is that at times as a club we have appeared not to have a clear direction going forward... This has been reflected in our team selections, positioning etc (though also has made me wonder if SW really has dived in the development thing and is happy to experiment and lose from time to time).

Siposs is one major symptom of thhat lack of direction.

He was drafted as a forward, showed promise as a forward and then all of a sudden BJ left and it was decided that hey Arryn has good disposal too so should therefore play as a running back. To this point he doesn't have the tank for the extra running and its effected his disposal and negated his major strength which was his kicking at goal.

agree. I thought at the time it was a) a big ask and b) giving up developing him as a forward. the guy is a natural forward and should be played there.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

No. That's not correct. He's always been pick 75, ever since they called out his name in 2010, he was the pick before Les.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No. That's not correct. He's always been pick 75, ever since they called out his name in 2010, he was the pick before Les.
But we wouldnt looking for excuses like he is pick 75 and so we are expecting to much. He doesnt get the ball thinking I am getting it far to much for such a high pick. Better stop doing that.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I remember a 2005 article

'Lost in Space'

Referring to Brendon Goddard in his third year.... Not living up to Draft Selection, comparisons to Daniel Wells, can't find a position?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i take your earlier point BM about the demands of the backline being less then those up forward.

What i was getting at however, is that not all players are naturals at different positions as u no doubt would be aware.

I think for Arryn, having to spread on the rebound, make himself available for the ball to be given to him so he can pump it forward, and follow his opponent to the ball are things that he's not used, hasn't trained for and atm not very good at

To me, it reeks of 2+2=5 - he has good disposal so therefore should excell in the role

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes, I think he struggles with accountability.... He would never have worried about his opponent or any opposition player defensively at any stage in his formative years... He did tackle well, but that was more about winning possession. Did not chase.