Armitage and Tackling

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Armitage and Tackling

Not sure of the stats, for this game or the season.... But I would think Armo puts on a lot of pressure around the footy that often either holds it in and stops a breakaway or creates a spill for another player to capitalise on? The thing about Armitage, is when he tackles someone... The are stopped... He certainly stopped Michael Johnson.

Anyway, a lot of focus seems to go on ball winning in the midfield (fair enough) but because our mids regularly get beaten as a group by opposition mids, we don't look at defensive workerate (obvious due to under rating of CJ) ....

I think Dal is at his best, when he is playing well defensively.... ATM he's not.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Armitage and Tackling

BigMart wrote: Anyway, a lot of focus seems to go on ball winning in the midfield (fair enough) but because our mids regularly get beaten as a group by opposition mids, we don't look at defensive workerate (obvious due to under rating of CJ) ....
Strange though, you gave CJ (17 disp, 4 tackles, 0 clearances, 2 i50's) best on ground as opposed to Montagna (31 disp, 7 tackles, 3 clearances, 5 i50's)

Numbers aren't everything, but both ball winning & defensively one has double the figures of the other.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not sure of the stats, for this game or the season.... But I would think Armo puts on a lot of pressure around the footy that often either holds it in and stops a breakaway or creates a spill for another player to capitalise on? The thing about Armitage, is when he tackles someone... The are stopped... He certainly stopped Michael Johnson.

Anyway, a lot of focus seems to go on ball winning in the midfield (fair enough) but because our mids regularly get beaten as a group by opposition mids, we don't look at defensive workerate (obvious due to under rating of CJ) ....

I think Dal is at his best, when he is playing well defensively.... ATM he's not.

armo and lenny....gilbert too...have played rugby...hence the tackling skills.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
paddy
Club Player

Tackling and foot skills are the mantras of the SW brand of Footy...

I think we will see this more and more as the young guys get a bit more stamina and bulk...

I like it, if we cant win may as well be hard to beat...

This is why I feel so let down by Saad this year.... His first game (or one of his first) he played against sydney and tackled the house down.... this year that pressure has dissappeared.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saad seems a little closer to goal this year and has less room to work in. The end must be in sight for Milne so they are dropping Saad really deep to be an opportunist rather than a see ball get ball type. He may just be over instructed and once he gets his natural game back he will be okay.

paddy
Club Player

gringo wrote:Saad seems a little closer to goal this year and has less room to work in. The end must be in sight for Milne so they are dropping Saad really deep to be an opportunist rather than a see ball get ball type. He may just be over instructed and once he gets his natural game back he will be okay.

I hope so....

watching how Saad, and Milera dominate in the VFL when they are dropped really shines a light on the gulf between the two Leagues...

it is getting worse in my oppinion, and I hope the AFL get onto it soon and make them both fully professional leagues...

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The VFL has a lot of issues, including the amount of Byes teams have, how can players develop if the team is constantly having a bye..

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

CJ beat his man.... Easily.....Possible match winner.... And CJ contributed well

Great game

Collectively, did Hayes, Jack, Armitage beat Fyfe 35, Barlow 32, Mundy 26 and 2 goals..... No.... They played well however.
In particular Steven

Joey was excellent.... Particularly in the first Half... Who was his opponent?? But Crowley slowed him dramaticallt

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

There were some very poor kicks that caused a few turnovers and there were times in that second half when they totally dominated us, but overall Armo, Lenny, Steven and Joey tried their guts out. Dal seems like he is just cruising in second gear but I'm sure that he has the hardest job and we expect him to rack up the same numbers as the blokes who don't have a hard tag each week. What he needs is a chop out and a few Saints players to line up Crowley or one of Dal's other opponents from time to time. Speaking of lining up blokes,,,,,,,,

There was an incident off the footy and Johnson is lucky he didn't have his number taken. I tried to slow it down and not quite sure whether it was a high bump or if head contact was made from Johnson, but it was reckless and intentional and the umpire did at least pay a free kick

Ziebel gets done for going for the footy and yet they don't say anything re a late hit from a big bloke on a running mid. Surely if they want to protect ball players they should be looking to penalise the late hit from Johnson. The footy was about 15 meters away when he deliberately sized up Armo. It's a lot worse than a love tap to the head - braifade headbutt from Thomas on GWS player.

I'm sure the Saints players will be looking out for payback when the 2 teams meet again.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

"I've heard the view that the Match Review Panel convene on Monday morning as part-timers and get sort of spoon-fed the incidents to look at. I don't think that's good enough."

Chris Scott reckons MRP should be meeting after every game and going through the game forensically, making sure they cover off all the bases.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-08/c ... flawed-mrp