Disappointing efforts stood out

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thesaint3
Club Player

Re: Disappointing efforts stood out

Told my son at the time dal should be dragged for jogging after players..WEAK

defacto
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I think we can safely say, that was a terrific effort against the dockers... As much as I can't stand hearing kudos for defeat, that was not a mediocre performance by any means... Again, first class effort, players had a real crack...

Well most did, some it seemed did not...

Raise discussion on the following 4 players

Nick Dal Santo
Did not push himself, accepted the tag and was meekly defeated in the first half, body language was one of defeat and dis interest, and did not break out of a jog in a few pretend chases, was poor at the contest and did not go.... When he had to, in one contest. Really disappointing from a great player.

Rhys Stanley
Just a really poor effort, and on a few occasions didn't even make an effort. He need to get some hardness and desire into his game and creat a contest. No good having attributes without using them.

James Gwilt
Worse game I've ever seen him play! Trailed in as a defender, but that's normal... He's not the best stopper. However, with the footy he Lacked awareness, composure and was horrible with the footy... Those are usually his strengths. I'm not sure he had a fair dinkum crack in every contest, occasionally I think he gave up.

Ahmed Saad
I think his effort was OK when the footy was around him sometimes, but he was fairly ineffectual most o the game... But he is an opportunist fwd, and he made the most of his two opportunities I suppose. What was disappointing wa his opponent, Lee Spurr (not talking Corey Enright here) absolutely led him a merry dance. 9 touches, 3 tackles.... Spurr 25 touches... That's too much drive from a BP..... I suppose Clancee did similar to TDL

How did everyone see these players games? BTW, the kids... Newnes, Saunders, Wright, Murdoch, Lee.... Efforts were 10/10
dal santos chase was pathetic, saw him give up on a ball that looked to be going out. his opponent did not, took it and cleared it. pretty sure he ran out of the back 50

patto
Club Player

Nick Dal Santo
Did not push himself, accepted the tag and was meekly defeated in the first half, body language was one of defeat and dis interest, and did not break out of a jog in a few pretend chases, was poor at the contest and did not go.... When he had to, in one contest. Really disappointing from a great player.

This i noticed a few times with dal.. His chasing at times seemed very half hearted indeed..

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not a great legacy for Dal that he seemingly relaxes when a new coach comes in.

Maybe it's his head space.

He likes to be provoked?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:You may find out later there was a reason for Gwilts poor foot skills.
yep, injury. that is what is being said on bigfooty

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What was the injury to Gwilt during the game, and what injury effects his decision making... Was he concussed?

Not reported, he did not go off at any stage, don't remember any collision or mishap.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If he got a jab to the ankle, that would explain the 30% DE which isn't like him at all.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No, it's not like him

He looked as though he was just jogging around without urgency, and could not hit a team mate..... Not generally him

Buckets
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:No, it's not like him

He looked as though he was just jogging around without urgency, and could not hit a team mate..... Not generally him

Maybe just maybe an injury to an ankle will effect the way one would run and kick?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I fractured my Talis and fibula/Tibia in a marking contest in 2010, and can assure you an injured Ankle cripples you wrt to playing at 100%

Ask Fergus Watts

Where is it reported that he was injured or is that supporter forum speculation?!

In a way, I hope he was injured, so he can use the word I loathe.... Excuse when dealing with effort

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand what I saw of Dal and Stanley barely getting out of second gear. They either looked buggered or disinterested. So there are problems, either fitness or mental.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Agree.... Some players appear to coast (putting it nicely)

Milera, Gwilt, Stanley, Dal and a few others just don't look desperate.... Fitness, effort, gait... Whatever the reason...

Lenny, Steven, Gilbert, Geary, Armitage, Montagna.... Never a paper to be 'cruising'

Buckets
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:I fractured my Talis and fibula/Tibia in a marking contest in 2010, and can assure you an injured Ankle cripples you wrt to playing at 100%

Ask Fergus Watts

Where is it reported that he was injured or is that supporter forum speculation?!

In a way, I hope he was injured, so he can use the word I loathe.... Excuse when dealing with effort

Does it need to be reported in media for it to be true?

I trust the people I have spoken to. They have no reason to be wrong.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Report on gwilt is correct.

For me Rhys needs to get on the wing.
He is scared of making mistakes up back and is not strong enough yet up forward.
Use the attributes that he has now, at this present time....that is pace.
Get him into the position where he can run and take it on, have a crack and dodge a couple of players.
Has a big kick, so get him to get inside 50 entries. Get it in to a contest or if at 50 have a ping.

Twice I saw dal cruising when a player had gone past.
No chase at all.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Stanley is a very good 200cm athlete, but is a GOP and needs a rocket up him (or a trip to VFL) after his effort against Freo, and NDS just didn't make the extra effort in many contests and waits for someone else to do the grunt work...are we sure he is not thinking of where to play next year? as he looks like Goddard last season, who did just enough and no more (preservation mode)..just sayin..

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

If Dal plays for the RW&B in 2014 then I'd like to think he had an excuse in 2013. He's been very disappoint many times thus far in 2013. I hope he is a positive influence on the training track to the younger guys.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Where is the report on Gwilt?

Surely if he's injured, the club should announce.... If, in fairness to him, if he has a reason not to be judged on that performance the clubs should announce it, looks ordinary if its in the public domain, but not through the club.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Where is the report on Gwilt?

Surely if he's injured, the club should announce.... If, in fairness to him, if he has a reason not to be judged on that performance the clubs should announce it, looks ordinary if its in the public domain, but not through the club.

You can actually be injured during a game but be fine a day or two later. Not much point in mentioning it then. And unless asked at the press conference SW isnt stop all questions to announce Jimmy has a sore ankle.

loris
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:

dal santos chase was pathetic, saw him give up on a ball that looked to be going out. his opponent did not, took it and cleared it. pretty sure he ran out of the back 50
Yes that one was a shocker.............. Dal eased up, the docker who was further off the ball than Dal did not slacken and eventually cleared the ball close to the boundary line out of the back 50, even then Dal just loped after him and it was left for another Saint to leave his man and come toward the player, which created the loose man.

It was one of Dal's many very poor efforts defensively on the day.

He seems to be playing now like Goddard did for his last 2 seasons, no passion, just doing enough to keep his stats OK. And like Goddard, his hand passing quite often is now putting players under pressure........ and for years Dal was so attacking and accurate with his hands. Just looks like an attitude problem to me, because every so often he does something silky and smooth and you know he hasn't lost his skills. I just hope he is carrying some injury that is restricting him and the REAL DAL will return.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Where is the report on Gwilt?

You can actually be injured during a game but be fine a day or two later. Not much point in mentioning it then. And unless asked at the press conference SW isnt stop all questions to announce Jimmy has a sore ankle.
I recall Fraser having the odd airy before they advised he had plantar fasciitis. Fraser just shrugged off questions about the perceptions of general gumbiness and played on. Club took a while before they revealed the cause of the airies. Made for mighty funny viewing, even if it was frustrating to watch.

Jimmy's been playing with a fair bit of inconvenience for much of this year (missed, what, 4 or 5 with a leg early in the year?). But, with our lack of key defence options he's been manful in continuing to contribute. Keeps his head, does what he can - I forgive him for the odd error when I don't know if he's performing under physical duress, or not. Jimmy's earned some credits - he's honest.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
sainters4eva
Club Player

loris wrote:
defacto wrote:

Yes that one was a shocker.............. Dal eased up, the docker who was further off the ball than Dal did not slacken and eventually cleared the ball close to the boundary line out of the back 50, even then Dal just loped after him and it was left for another Saint to leave his man and come toward the player, which created the loose man.

He seems to be playing now like Goddard did for his last 2 seasons, no passion, just doing enough to keep his stats OK. And like Goddard, his hand passing quite often is now putting players under pressure........ and for years Dal was so attacking and accurate with his hands. Just looks like an attitude problem to me, because every so often he does something silky and smooth and you know he hasn't lost his skills. I just hope he is carrying some injury that is restricting him and the REAL DAL will return.
Noticed it as we'll, how could you not. Too obvious for mine. A bit of a long shot but is he holding back to allow the youngsters to get the ball or see if they react. it would be easy for him to dominate but that would be at the expense of a youngsters development. We are in a development/rebuild phase,whatever you want to call it, phase after all.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I was most disappointed in Dal.
Some of his efforts chasing were rubbish.
I too would accept a trade on him now.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
defacto wrote:

Just shytes me to death watching out and out champs just cruising and collecting the big bucks. Should be made to give some back. Garry Abblett is an example of a professional on every level. Gaz played out of his skin right up to his very last game for the Cats and even with all issues behind the scenes.

Just like Goddard before him I am starting to lose respect for Dal. Great players but selfish to the core.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:What is wrong with NDS? Worst season in the RW&B so far. Does he have an injury or is it all above the shoulders?
I had high hopes for nick when he first came on the scene !
5 years ago driving down nepean highway , in my rear view mirror i saw this bloke driving erratically , Stopping at the lights , i thought whose this tosser . It was about 20 degrees , he was wearing no shirt and white rimmed sun-glasses .
When he went past me , it was nick !

Whilst he has been a great player for the club , He could have been as good as ablett jr , if he was mentally tougher .

In red white and black from 73
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No he couldn't

Not the talent or physical attributed to go to that level