Possible trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Possible trade

I'm dead keen to keep our first 2 picks and trust elshaugh.
He has done well the last 2 years so let's back him in.

If we do get a key back - how do people think we will fit Roberton Gwilt Geary Fisher Dempster Gilbo and Simpkin in our side ?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:maybe i did count blakey! anyoo you get my drift.
we are miles from ending up with only 9 eps.

Con you need to stop getting caught up with ep's whatever that is. If we had 15 players who had played 100 games and were 23 years of age would you want them to go? I wouldnt think so. Its age that matters. And i would say from the age of 30 upwards. We will lose maybe 3 or 4 of that age group next year. We dont need more than 5 picks in the draft. there is no point in getting rid of 9 players from the main list so you can have 10ep's whatever that means. Look I know you will get off this topic as soon as something else gets your fancy but our list age will be fine next year except for the mid aged bracket.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

It would take some very astute drafting and trading before the current list was considered "fine".

There are quite a few gaps that need filling, still, we now have some good people at the club working those angles.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:It would take some very astute drafting and trading before the current list was considered "fine".

There are quite a few gaps that need filling, still, we now have some good people at the club working those angles.

Age list not ability.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Imagine if we had a player good enough to reach 100 games at 23 !
I'd have a party. Looks like Roberton will get close if we're lucky.

Pluggs all I'm saying is there is an argument going around that Melbourne stuffed up by getting rid of all of their experienced players and we should learn from that.

People are citing that as a reason not to trade.

All I'm saying is that argument is not a good one as there is no fear of us getting rid of all our experience .
We have heaps. s*** as we know trades don't happen in the real world anyhow.

You have to admit we aren't getting much out of fisher gwilt gilbo or Schneider lately.

Kosi and Blakey are clearly back up but I think we all went into the season with our eyes wide open to that .

So what ur saying is our oldies are going ok but our middles are s*** ?

Clearly we ain't going so flash . If we have 14 blokes with 100 + games experience and we are 3rd bottom some of those 14 must be performing very poorly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Imagine if we had a player good enough to reach 100 games at 23 !
I'd have a party. Looks like Roberton will get close if we're lucky.

Pluggs all I'm saying is there is an argument going around that Melbourne stuffed up by getting rid of all of their experienced players and we should learn from that.

People are citing that as a reason not to trade.

All I'm saying is that argument is not a good one as there is no fear of us getting rid of all our experience .
We have heaps. s*** as we know trades don't happen in the real world anyhow.

You have to admit we aren't getting much out of fisher gwilt gilbo or Schneider lately.

Kosi and Blakey are clearly back up but I think we all went into the season with our eyes wide open to that .

So what ur saying is our oldies are going ok but our middles are s*** ?

Clearly we ain't going so flash . If we have 14 blokes with 100 + games experience and we are 3rd bottom some of those 14 must be performing very poorly.

The problem Con is we have a very big gap between our older players and our younger players. And who do you want to trade or delist. You keep saying we have to many but havent told us who needs to go apart from the obvious retirements. If to many older players go then expect many results over the next 2 years to be like the Tigers game last week.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The Pelican and Watters have both told us they are working on filling the age gap created by years of ordinary recruiting.

They also told us there were so many holes in the list that it would take a number of drafts to shift the age balance and to
find the players that would remedy some of our glaring weaknesses.

We just have to wait and let them do their thing, albeit, there are a number of clubs after the same type of players..

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think if we got a decent offer for one of Gwilt gilbo or Seany d I'd take it.

I'm also very unclear what the future holds for Schneider and Chips.

rexy
SS Life Member

Haven't read the whole thread but in principal I agree with those saying that you have to give to get, currently we have to many medium defenders and small forwards who can't run through the middle, not enough mids and KP defenders. We must address this and we must be creative in the way we do it, we should not trade away 200 game servants to the club wo don't want o go but we should also discuss in interview form with all players what they want, free agency may mean that some senior players may be interested in going home or to another club for a chance at a flag in their final years, a club that is close to success may pay overs in DPs to get those guys, ie Gold Coast may give up a lot for a 30 something Reiwoldt and it may be the best thing he can do for himself and the club in his twilight!
I wouldn't like it but it may make a guy like him the number one pick that keeps on giving!

Maybe this year?
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Wayne42 wrote:The Pelican and Watters
Sounds like a pub by the beach ...

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
Classic. :D
I think it is actually a golf course on the Sunshine Coast

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think if we got a decent offer for one of Gwilt gilbo or Seany d I'd take it.

I'm also very unclear what the future holds for Schneider and Chips.

But this is it Con. If we had a decent offer any single player is tradable even our best but i doubt the 3 you named would get anything but a third rounder so is it worth getting rid of those guys for say a pick 40 or above. To get either good players or good picks you need to trade good players or picks. Dempster is good player buts he is 30 years of age. Gibo is an ok player and I doubt Jimmy would be tradable.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

With the amount of backline injuries this year I don't think we would want to lose one unless it was an incredible offer. we should be looking at doing a bit of Sydney style recruiting of guys that aren't getting a look in at other clubs. The Sydney model is for guys with talent that sit outside the best 18 but are still young or inexperienced. Helbig at Richmond has been mentioned, Robbie Tarrant has hardly played but when he does he looks good- maybe back like his brother, even Colin Sylvia or Polkinghorn from Brissy would be handy and doable while we are down and both could be elite players with a bit of re motivation.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'd take a pick under 40 for Gwilty, Sean or Gilbo if offered

I'd take a pick under 50 for Schneider or Chips.

In general picks over 50 are pretty s*** .
Sure there are smokies but mainly the action is under pick 50.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... 2pqn7.html

i think sheedy is having a lend of the other 17 clubs......playing games.......he can just sit back and see who the others will come fawning to him with...then publish who those clubs are willing to trade ...then he will see who he can shake from the tree as a freebie......

really...would you trade plugger mark 2.....???? :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I'd take a pick under 40 for Gwilty, Sean or Gilbo if offered

So you would basically delist fisher for pick 49 just so we have less 100 games players.

SunburySaint
Club Player

stinger wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... 2pqn7.html

i think sheedy is having a lend of the other 17 clubs......playing games.......he can just sit back and see who the others will come fawning to him with...then publish who those clubs are willing to trade ...then he will see who he can shake from the tree as a freebie......

As much as I agree with your statement of trading of plugger v2.0, I think they are happy with Cameron and Patton so I dont think they have a need for Boyd... i could be wrong though... I dont really keep up with all things GWS

Now lives in Geelong...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SunburySaint wrote:

As much as I agree with your statement of trading of plugger v2.0, I think they are happy with Cameron and Patton so I dont think they have a need for Boyd... i could be wrong though... I dont really keep up with all things GWS

Pretty sure you are 100% right. No way would they need all 3 and Boyd will be 3 years behind both.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SunburySaint wrote:

at the moment they have just got cameron......patton won't play until early next year......three's insurance.....and boyd will have an immediate impact...much like roo had......the guy's huge.....no...i think sheedy is playing games.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SunburySaint
Club Player

stinger wrote:
SunburySaint wrote:

at the moment they have just got cameron......patton won't play until early next year......three's insurance.....and boyd will have an immediate impact...much like roo had......the guy's huge.....no...i think sheedy is playing games.....
If Patton is ready for next year, doesnt that make getting Boyd redundant as he will not be available until next year either if they get him? Also if they are going hard after Buddy which is reported, then they will not have a need for him. Sheedy may be playing games but IMO they dont need Boyd and I doubt they will get him...happy to be proved wrong though...

Now lives in Geelong...
gringo
Saintsational Legend

They might want to try Patton back- he could scare a few FFs.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

GWS are in a very strong position in this upcoming draft. They have plenty of tall timber up forward but they also have plenty of midfielders. They are in a position to hold onto pick 1 without needing to trade it but also not needing to keep it. I suspect they're are having a bet each way. Throw out the bait incase someone wants to pay an extraordinary amount and if it comes off they're laughing. If it doesn't they take Boyd and stockpile their talented tall assets which can be used to trade in the future for low picks widening their age demographic of top end talent. Or like gringo suggests turn one into a key back.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I'd take a pick under 40 for Gwilty, Sean or Gilbo if offered

So you would basically delist fisher for pick 49 just so we have less 100 games players.
Obviously hed have to agree.
But yeah - some teams who think they are contenders and need a certain kind of player might send us a pick in the 40s for him and pay him handsomely for a year or 2.

How many old half injured blokes do you want on our list? Are we an old peoples Mash unit?
The fact is we are getting nothing out of him right here right now - so a pick in the 40s is better that nothing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Obviously hed have to agree.
But yeah - some teams who think they are contenders and need a certain kind of player might send us a pick in the 40s for him and pay him handsomely for a year or 2.

How many old half injured blokes do you want on our list? Are we an old peoples Mash unit?
The fact is we are getting nothing out of him right here right now - so a pick in the 40s is better that nothing.

Con and how many players do you want to draft for this year? You dont have to play older players. Kosi and Blake prove that. A pick in the 40's for Fisher shows we arent a footy club who stands by our players. get old and we get rid of you. Sends a great message to the younger guys and will really excite the older players. If we traded Fisher for a mid 40's pick when he didnt want to go then i would be disgusted with the club. You wants us to play every game like the tigers game last week then do the trade and watch the club get 25k members in 2 years time.