Rory Sloane

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rosco
Club Player

Re: Rory Sloane

why would they trade talia?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Why?

They would be stupid to do it.

But ...

they are shut out of the draft for 2 rounds and they want in.

They have a surplus of tall backs ... Talia, Shaw and Thompson and could sacrifice one.

Come to think of it, I would do:

Sloane + Thompson

for

Pick 3/4 and Pick 37/8

Would be about right.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Wigsy
Club Player

Seen his kicking? Pick 1/3/5? Wow

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
Siposstar#2
Club Player

Jack Steven better than Rory Sloane.
Yeh and the pope s***s in the woods.
I've heard it all now

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Siposstar#2 wrote:Jack Steven better than Rory Sloane.
I've heard it all now

I felt exactly the same as you but when you look at the main stats for the season and even watching both play you could argue Jack has had a better year than Sloane. He averages a couple more possessions, about the same goals per game, fractional more takes, 2 and half more clearances and one more contested and uncontested poe=ssession per game. Over his career Sloane has been a much better player but this year you could strongly argue Jack has been better. And I think many neutral supporters would agree.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

They are different players but Jack still gets less praise than he should. He was never really given a go under Ross and really only played all last and all this season. Sloan hasn't played many more surprisingly but is a nuggety type more like Daniel Rich, Joel Selwood etc.- strong stand up in a tackle type where Steven is a bee in a bottle runner. I think it was against Sydney Jack got 39 possessions, that's Gary Ablett type numbers. He is probably the most exciting talent we have had since the early 2000s crop came through but people bag him still.

I saw an old poster of the Saints the other day that highlighted how little opportunity he was given- he was in the team with Fraser Gherig. That seems a generation ago. Montagna said in about 2008 that Jack Steven would be the next Robert Harvey and that the Saints were very excited about him, shame it's taken this long he might already be A grade otherwise. Same with Armo.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I've heard it all now
I think it's naive to take the piss at the fact Sloane and Steven are being compared given what evidence a few posters including myself have written. I'd like to see your side of argument and I certainly won't be dismissing it because I've always rated Sloane just pointing out that perhaps I've been a harsh critic on Steven and giving him further praise for the season he's having. Top 3 in the best and fairest, I reckon.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:They are different players but Jack still gets less praise than he should. He was never really given a go under Ross and really only played all last and all this season. Sloan hasn't played many more surprisingly but is a nuggety type more like Daniel Rich, Joel Selwood etc.- strong stand up in a tackle type where Steven is a bee in a bottle runner. I think it was against Sydney Jack got 39 possessions, that's Gary Ablett type numbers. He is probably the most exciting talent we have had since the early 2000s crop came through but people bag him still.

I saw an old poster of the Saints the other day that highlighted how little opportunity he was given- he was in the team with Fraser Gherig. That seems a generation ago. Montagna said in about 2008 that Jack Steven would be the next Robert Harvey and that the Saints were very excited about him, shame it's taken this long he might already be A grade otherwise. Same with Armo.
In 2010, Jack had OP. That's why he wasn't played.

Armo injured his knee twice during the 2010 season in the VFL and missed weeks and wasn't fit enough to play a finals series.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
gringo wrote:They are different players but Jack still gets less praise than he should. He was never really given a go under Ross and really only played all last and all this season. Sloan hasn't played many more surprisingly but is a nuggety type more like Daniel Rich, Joel Selwood etc.- strong stand up in a tackle type where Steven is a bee in a bottle runner. I think it was against Sydney Jack got 39 possessions, that's Gary Ablett type numbers. He is probably the most exciting talent we have had since the early 2000s crop came through but people bag him still.

Armo injured his knee twice during the 2010 season in the VFL and missed weeks and wasn't fit enough to play a finals series.

Still that leaves a big hole in the amount of games they should have played up until that point. 2006 for armo 2007? for Jack that's a fairly long time without games. All I'm saying is Geelong played kids in their sides we didn't look who has a problem now.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Still that leaves a big hole in the amount of games they should have played up until that point. 2006 for armo 2007? for Jack that's a fairly long time without games. All I'm saying is Geelong played kids in their sides we didn't look who has a problem now.

Steven had OP from the first year he was drafted. Armo played 12 games in his second year. The same year we made the 8. I suppose you have a point. Look at Motlop.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I've heard it all now
So is it Sloane is that good, or Steven is that bad? Tell me what statistic Sloane dominates over Steven..

It's not Dangerfield we're comparing him to... Sloane has stagnated in his development, hit a very high level early but has not drastically improved in the past 36 months...

Steven has tripled his output in that time, and on this years numbers is superior.. In a weakened side... And I expect Steven will continue to improve at a faster rate as he has more weapons...

This does not mean Sloane is no good... An absolute gun, it's just I rate Steven very very highly..

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
I've heard it all now
So is it Sloane is that good, or Steven is that bad? Tell me what statistic Sloane dominates over Steven..

It's not Dangerfield we're comparing him to... Sloane has stagnated in his development, hit a very high level early but has not drastically improved in the past 36 months...

Steven has tripled his output in that time, and on this years numbers is superior.. In a weakened side... And I expect Steven will continue to improve at a faster rate as he has more weapons...

This does not mean Sloane is no good... An absolute gun, it's just I rate Steven very very highly..

I rate both but different types of players- I haven't watched much of Adelaide this year but he was a gun last year. He reminds me of Daniel Rich in the fact that you would hope that there is still scope for massive improvement as well but is the type you could see becoming an elite mid.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Zed wrote:Crows looking to trade to get an early pick - Rory Sloanes name being thrown around. Interesting but not sure I want to give up our first pick for him. Anybody disagree ?
Pick whatever we get in the first round and its done.

Great player, because the next gen Lenny and providers leadership straight away

lloyd21
Club Player

We give them Milera & 3rd round pick hehe

spot on
Club Player

I think jack will be better that sloane, in saying that maybe pick 22 and 40 for him . Think he would be great pick up, good kid and from upway in vicco

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spot on wrote:I think jack will be better that sloane, in saying that maybe pick 22 and 40 for him . Think he would be great pick up, good kid and from upway in vicco

That would get his left leg.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand the utility in comparing jack and sloane ?

It's not as if anyone is comparing a straight swap.
Seems like a waste of time .

What about jack and sloane together ? And what we give up for it .

Pick 3 they would take.

Pick 22 no

So not sure how we can play in

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Based on how he's playing today against the Cats.. he's a massive yes for me... guy's a gun just in everything and follows up on his 1st work.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
gringo
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:Based on how he's playing today against the Cats.. he's a massive yes for me... guy's a gun just in everything and follows up on his 1st work.

i didn't see it but he is gun. I would give our first pick and a player like Gilbo or Ray for him. You know what you are getting and have a guarantee with Sloane. Pick three might get Fiora or Tambling or a Cotchin. You never know until you have the player for 4 or 5 years. This way you get a gun now.