Curren looks good

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nw7
Club Player

Curren looks good

I was really impressed with Curren on the weekend, I haven't seen much of Sandy this season but he has really improved and stepped up to the next level, very hard at it and lots of second and third efforts. I'm looking forward to him been given a few senior games soon.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Re: Curren looks good

he better or there will be some microwaving going on...

I hope he gets a game as he seems to have earnt it.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not as good as TDL, Milera and Saad?!

southernsaint
Club Player

From watters press conferance sounds like curren and ledger will get a chance before the seasons finished. :D :D :D :D

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not as good as TDL, Milera and Saad?!

huge difference ..imho.......curren and ledger are possibly afl standard players..they can at least win their own footy....the three you mention are just gop vfl players...not up to scratch....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Is Curren the new Tommy Walsh at St.Kilda????

BTW deserves a go in the seniors.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Is Curren the new Tommy Walsh at St.Kilda????

It seems he deserves a go but for some reason if they dont then I hope they dont keep him next year. the same with ledger. I reckon 3 years on the list for a mid is enough if you are playing. Harsh on the kids but if they are good enough they surely would have played by now. saying that I think both will play this week. Its time to get rid of Milera and TDL.

hayes66
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

It seems he deserves a go but for some reason if they dont then I hope they dont keep him next year. the same with ledger. I reckon 3 years on the list for a mid is enough if you are playing. Harsh on the kids but if they are good enough they surely would have played by now. saying that I think both will play this week. Its time to get rid of Milera and TDL.
I would argue, if they are good enough they would of got ago by now, is flawed logic. You are assuming coaches etc are right. Were they right with Tom Lynch and now Mark Hutchings?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Stating the obvious; Clubs rate individuals differently and have different needs. Curren may end up being another Michael Barlow, who knows. Just like Tommy Walsh, I would hope the club gives him an opportunity to show his worth before moving him on. The club has no excuses left. Curren has proved himself at VFL level and should naturally get the opportunity at AFL Level. Our midfield is ageing and poor, as is our forward line. Curren is a midfielder in strong form and also has the ability to play as a small forward. Just upgrade the lad and give him an opportunity.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Stating the obvious; Clubs rate individuals differently and have different needs. Curren may end up being another Michael Barlow, who knows. Just like Tommy Walsh, I would hope the club gives him an opportunity to show his worth before moving him on. The club has no excuses left. Curren has proved himself at VFL level and should naturally get the opportunity at AFL Level. Our midfield is ageing and poor, as is our forward line. Curren is a midfielder in strong form and also has the ability to play as a small forward. Just upgrade the lad and give him an opportunity.
...this should grow until it becomes loud enough for the club to hear..and hopefully take some notice just like the cries on here to give milney a go all those years ago,.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hayes66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I would argue, if they are good enough they would of got ago by now, is flawed logic. You are assuming coaches etc are right. Were they right with Tom Lynch and now Mark Hutchings?

Well unless we change the coach whats the point of keeping him because it seems thiss coach doesnt think they are up to it. You have only limited places on the list so i would think 3 years is plenty and if they cant prove anything in the next 7 weeks they must go. Surely none of us want 2 guys on the list that have played 3 games between them in 3 years especially as they are mids who usually come on early. By the way did anyone notice hutchy had 16 takles yesterday. Must be some sort of record.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I actually agree with Plugger it's unfair if we don't rate him to hold him back. We have guys like Lenny, Armo, Steven, Ross etc that can win their own ball in the middle and maybe we just have too many of one type but the others have a couple of other strings to their bows maybe?

Ledger and Curren are very unlucky because they are both ball winers. Melbourne didn't play Magner despite the fact he wins a ton of footy. Damaging disposal is so valuable now and must be the only reason he hasn't already knocked the door down along with Ledger.

well done to Hutchings. Koby Steven chose the dogs over us because he thought he would get more opportunity and yesterday had 19 possessions to half time and 29 and 1.1 for the game. he cut us up as well. Shame we didn't get him.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

ledger is mate... definitely Ledger.

BTW how is ol Tom da Gun Walsh going up in the harbor city?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Saint Pup
Club Player

ShanghaiSaint wrote:

Correct me if wrong but Walsh ripped his hammy off the bone? Can't quite remember but whatever he did wasn't good. Could have been a handy FB if he stayed.

GET UP AND ABOUT SAINTERS!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Ledger and Tommy Curren may well have some deficiencies.

However those deficiencies can not continue to be reasons for non selection when others with deficiencies, albeit different types of deficiencies, are being given chances.

Play 'em; at least they'll have a dip!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Tommy Ledger and Tommy Curren may well have some deficiencies.

However those deficiencies can not continue to be reasons for non selection when others with deficiencies, albeit different types of deficiencies, are being given chances.

Play 'em; at least they'll have a dip!
xacly.

If we play 3 small forwards again this week, I am officially off the Watters-wagon.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saint Pup wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:

Correct me if wrong but Walsh ripped his hammy off the bone? Can't quite remember but whatever he did wasn't good. Could have been a handy FB if he stayed.
yes and yes....and maybe... :wink:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

If i was Curren or Ledger and watched on as TDL or Milera were given game after game despite multiple shocking performances, i'd feel pretty cheated

Given that they've been ineffective as forwards, surely the toms couldn't do any worse

I just dont get the logic

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:If i was Curren or Ledger and watched on as TDL or Milera were given game after game despite multiple shocking performances, i'd feel pretty cheated

Given that they've been ineffective as forwards, surely the toms couldn't do any worse

I just dont get the logic

Yes it seems very strange. i reckon Curran is 100% certain to play this week and Ledger is 50/50. he may miss out if we go with Ross.

hayes66
Club Player

Well unless we change the coach whats the point of keeping him because it seems thiss coach doesnt think they are up to it. You have only limited places on the list so i would think 3 years is plenty and if they cant prove anything in the next 7 weeks they must go. Surely none of us want 2 guys on the list that have played 3 games between them in 3 years especially as they are mids who usually come on early. By the way did anyone notice hutchy had 16 takles yesterday. Must be some sort of record.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Yes I agree. I think it is fairly obvious Watters doesn't rate Ledger or Curren. Now if Ledger goes back to the West and makes it with The Eagles, whose fault is that? The coach or the recruiters?
For example, everyone says, the 08 draft was a disaster. Pick 13: Lynch, starting to establish himself in Adelaide. Then we didn't have a pick till 47. Stanley, who I think is still a chance to make it. Simpkin, see Stanley and Dawson, who we now miss as rookies. The result. Two nearly established players (Lynch, Dawson) and two possibles ( Stanley and Simpkin). A possible four AFL players.
If we get four players from every draft then we will have done very well.
So, who is to blame for 08?
I assume we will all say The recruiters.
That is possibly right but I am not so definite about the failure of 08.

lefty
Club Player

I'm still not sure why we upgraded Ferguson before Curren.
We lack some key midfielders/wingers and one or two large key defenders.

Ledger is a winger and Curren needs to join the midfield of Armo and Steven.

Really want to see Curren get a go, Watters just needs to keep playing the kids, I reckon we've got a decent bunch with Ross, Webster, Sipposs, Curren, Wright, Roberton, Lee, Newness, Saunders, Murdoch, Simpkin, and hopefully we add on some more come seasons end.