tommy lee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: tommy lee

SainterK wrote:
I guess long term we'll see how the picks around #12 turn out.
That is a one dimensional perspective.

Pelchen was charged not just with drafting one player, but in rebuilding the whole list. Our list had an age imbalance and lacked talented players at the lower end.

Suns and GWS, because they did not value picks in the twenties and beyond as they had so many early picks, provided a unique opportunity to gain these picks from they "cheap".

These multi-picks has assisted to more rapidly rebuild the list, a task which is still not finished.

Also any one draft pick is also a risk of not making it either from not being good enough, or getting injured. So for a club needing a lot of young talent the multi-trades made a lot of sense to fastrack the process.

Pelchen's other stated comment on this was that he saw little difference beyonf the top 10 going into the early twenties.

ie so if you could swap pick 12 and get two players rated in the top 24 it was effectively two players for one. Saunders was a bonus on top of that.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Just saying look how the player that went with our old pick turned out is naive. We might have gone in a completely different direction to everyone else. Membery stayed around until the TDL 46 but who would have known that. If we loved his game we had several previous chances of getting him.

Pelchen probably has a say in recruiting but Bains and Elshaugh are the dudes that compile the raw data and rate the players so probably blame them. I can't see anything wrong with any of the current crop so far. All have shown something- we probably have a 5 year wait to see how good.

My Richmond mate still can't believe that we got Spencer so late as he had such unique talents but they had chances like every one else did.

The only ones you can safely say are near misses are ones we were keen on that slipped from our grasp like Lauchie Henderson who was apparently our first choice and Mc Evoy was going to Carlton with the previous pick.

The other one was Andreas Everitt- apparently we asked for a multi trade of our pick for Ball to the Bulldogs and they send Everitt to us but Collingwood stalled the deal until it fell through. Plenty have said we would have got Goldsack or Sharrod wellingham but all are false and while we might have asked for them the only one that was seriously discussed was Everitt to us and the pick 20something to the Dogs.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

He looks good.

Strong hands, good kick and probably has a few kg's to put on and he becomes a pretty mobile forward that could average 2 goals a game.

Keep the good work up Thomas.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Pelchen was charged not just with drafting one player, but in rebuilding the whole list. Our list had an age imbalance and lacked talented players at the lower end.

Suns and GWS, because they did not value picks in the twenties and beyond as they had so many early picks, provided a unique opportunity to gain these picks from they "cheap".

These multi-picks has assisted to more rapidly rebuild the list, a task which is still not finished.

Also any one draft pick is also a risk of not making it either from not being good enough, or getting injured. So for a club needing a lot of young talent the multi-trades made a lot of sense to fastrack the process.

Pelchen's other stated comment on this was that he saw little difference beyonf the top 10 going into the early twenties.

ie so if you could swap pick 12 and get two players rated in the top 24 it was effectively two players for one. Saunders was a bonus on top of that.
I'm aware of the fact he is picking up multiple players

He has drafted multiple small forwards, in fact 3 in under 24 months, in an era of footy where one dimensional types are becoming few and far between.

Guys that are not looking like being the types that can run through the midfield.

I'm not about to crack open the champers just yet

Beekay
SS Life Member

fine line tho.

shame milera is soft. has extremely rare movement abilities.
saad last year looked like a ripper.
tdl was just an ordinary decision. i know they were going for some seasoned players... but geez, wrong sort.

liked the way lee spoke in his presser. seemed to be of the belief he was still miles off and wants to get significantly better.

once lee bulks up..... we will be laughing our tits off... he's gonna tear it up in 2-3 years time.

lloyd21
Club Player

Like the boy.
Markworth Riewoldt Lee White all tall quick throw in Stanley in the forward rotation with Siposs & Saad very nice forward line.

Of the future if supporters are patient.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:

I'm aware of the fact he is picking up multiple players

He has drafted multiple small forwards, in fact 3 in under 24 months, in an era of footy where one dimensional types are becoming few and far between.

Guys that are not looking like being the types that can run through the midfield.

I'm not about to crack open the champers just yet

Yes not every pick will work.

But that is why Pelchen has been so cunning, as by gaining more players we can sift through more to find the good ones.

As Beekay stated TDL looks to be a mistake.

But you can see what they saw in Milera who can play as a runner too. He may or may not make it. From memory I think it was Ross who came as part of that deal and even if only Ross makes it value will still be ok for what was a cheap price of just moving picks a few places.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote:sainternist, going by your avatar you have taste in comedy and should not be referencing such a poor skit show.
Thanks, but I wouldn't goes as far saying That Mitchell and Webb Sound (radio series, not television series) was "a poor skit show". It thought it had its moments.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintbob
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:He reminds me of Troy Luff

it's the weird hair. He's an odd looking fella General Lee as was Luff
Worst wig in the AFL!!!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Pelchen when he was the recruiting man for the Hawks got in a mass of forwards at once- Buddy, Roughy, Beau Muston, Beau Dowler, Ciril Rioli, Mc Glynn etc. He then picked the best of them and culled the rest.

He doesn't seem to get too sentimental if players don't perform. I would say he will sure up the defence next with some height so expect a couple to come in and I would expect our top draft pick will probably be on an elite future mid.

The year after probably 4 or 5 mids to try to replace retirements on our list -2 years after that I would say they would expect a decent finals tilt. He works to 4 year plans so I can't see anything that isn't heading that way ATM.

southernsaint
Club Player

Spot on gringo, and he already has had 2 drafts so we are well on the way along in this process

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

southernsaint wrote:Spot on gringo, and he already has had 2 drafts so we are well on the way along in this process
Plus Pelchen is obviously not treating it as a short term rebuild, but rather a long term rebuild. ie witnessed by him not being fussed by not securing a fullback in the first two drafts/trading periods.

I think he is looking at at least 4 years of trades and drafts to knock the list in a true rebuilt state, with the plan of them peaking a year or two after that with say a solid 5+ years together.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
southernsaint wrote:Spot on gringo, and he already has had 2 drafts so we are well on the way along in this process
Plus Pelchen is obviously not treating it as a short term rebuild, but rather a long term rebuild. ie witnessed by him not being fussed by not securing a fullback in the first two drafts/trading periods.

I think he is looking at at least 4 years of trades and drafts to knock the list in a true rebuilt state, with the plan of them peaking a year or two after that with say a solid 5+ years together.

Yeah I like the fact the recruiters are being hyper selective in who they pick as FB. It shows there isn't a near enough good enough approach. Also shows we aren't doing a patch up with some old battlers to give the list one more tilt at the expense of the future.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

If rumours are to be believed and this one seems right he wanted to give 2 mid 20 picks for a FB who isnt very good at all. He was desperate for one and luckily WC were to stupid to trade.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

If rumours are to be believed and this one seems right he wanted to give 2 mid 20 picks for a FB who isnt very good at all. He was desperate for one and luckily WC were to stupid to trade.

That is still a worry if true. It would have meant both Wright and White would not have come to us.

When did the penny drop that we needed to rebuild?

What other non sensical deals do they have planned?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
darylcowie
Club Player

gringo wrote:Just saying look how the player that went with our old pick turned out is naive. We might have gone in a completely different direction to everyone else. Membery stayed around until the TDL 46 but who would have known that. If we loved his game we had several previous chances of getting him.

Pelchen probably has a say in recruiting but Bains and Elshaugh are the dudes that compile the raw data and rate the players so probably blame them. I can't see anything wrong with any of the current crop so far. All have shown something- we probably have a 5 year wait to see how good.

My Richmond mate still can't believe that we got Spencer so late as he had such unique talents but they had chances like every one else did.

The only ones you can safely say are near misses are ones we were keen on that slipped from our grasp like Lauchie Henderson who was apparently our first choice and Mc Evoy was going to Carlton with the previous pick.

The other one was Andreas Everitt- apparently we asked for a multi trade of our pick for Ball to the Bulldogs and they send Everitt to us but Collingwood stalled the deal until it fell through. Plenty have said we would have got Goldsack or Sharrod wellingham but all are false and while we might have asked for them the only one that was seriously discussed was Everitt to us and the pick 20something to the Dogs.
Sorry gringo, but you're way off the mark about McEvoy, because Carlscum too Kreuzer with there number one pick that season after nobody played on Travis Johnstone in Round 22 (remember?).

So why would they want to draft two ruckmen with two first round picks? FWIW I would trade McEvoy for Henderson in a heartbeat, despite the former's undoubted leadership abilities, because he is a one-trick pony!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote:
gringo wrote:Just saying look how the player that went with our old pick turned out is naive. We might have gone in a completely different direction to everyone else. Membery stayed around until the TDL 46 but who would have known that. If we loved his game we had several previous chances of getting him.

Sorry gringo, but you're way off the mark about McEvoy, because Carlscum too Kreuzer with there number one pick that season after nobody played on Travis Johnstone in Round 22 (remember?).

So why would they want to draft two ruckmen with two first round picks? FWIW I would trade McEvoy for Henderson in a heartbeat, despite the former's undoubted leadership abilities, because he is a one-trick pony!

i heard that from a mate who works with a board members dad. He says the Saints had Carlton as taking him and us taking Henderson. Didn't they pay a bomb for Robert Warnock from Freo around then too so maybe they ran their ruck stocks down.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Henderson was drafted by Brisbane? Traded to Carlton for Fevola deal?

And no way known I'd trade Henderson for McEvoy... I'm astounded by how good other players are when our team is struggling?!...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Henderson was drafted by Brisbane? Traded to Carlton for Fevola deal?

And no way known I'd trade Henderson for McEvoy... I'm astounded by how good other players are when our team is struggling?!...
Sorry it was Brisbane who had the pick before us... my bad. It was a long time ago he told me and have been watching the two intently ever since but forgot it was Brisbane who picked him not Carlton.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
darylcowie wrote:

i heard that from a mate who works with a board members dad. He says the Saints had Carlton as taking him and us taking Henderson. Didn't they pay a bomb for Robert Warnock from Freo around then too so maybe they ran their ruck stocks down.

No I think thats wrong gringo. My sisters friend knows the recruiting guy at carlton and they were never taking ben.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Henderson was drafted by Brisbane? Traded to Carlton for Fevola deal?

Sorry it was Brisbane who had the pick before us... my bad. It was a long time ago he told me and have been watching the two intently ever since but forgot it was Brisbane who picked him not Carlton.
Don't see why Brisbane would have considered taking McEvoy with pick 8 when they used pick 4 on Leuenberger the year before. Particularly with Charman, McDonald, Clark and Wood also on the list. Pretty sure the Bulldogs were the only ones tipped to have any interest in McEvoy before us.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Don't see why Brisbane would have considered taking McEvoy with pick 8 when they used pick 4 on Leuenberger the year before. Particularly with Charman, McDonald, Clark and Wood also on the list.
Maybe they were planning for the future? Everyone was still picking two ruckmen in a side, and with McEvoy just coming into his prime now all of Charman, McDonald and Wood have been delisted. If the sub rule hadn't been introduced they would have looked great with Leuenberger, McEvoy and Clark all on their list. I don't see why it's so far-fetched that they considered him.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
darylcowie wrote:

No I think thats wrong gringo. My sisters friend knows the recruiting guy at carlton and they were never taking ben.[/quote]

I'm not sure what Carlton were doing. It was us had Mc evoy going before Henderson who was our first choice- it was actually Brissy who had the pick before us. My memory of who took him was wrong but I have always had an interest in his career since. He was swapped in the Fev trade- I just forgot the detail. Our recruiting staff would have had a plan of how they thought the draft would play out not based on any thing other than a prediction. Henderson was apparently the one they had wanted.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

He won the Handball on TSFS yesterday-
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/afl/aflsunday/

and said Paul Hudson working with him on goal kicking.

as BT or others stated on sat night- it is only his 5th AFL game-
and most players moving from VFL or other state league state that the speed of the game is the big differance that they need to get used to.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:He won the Handball on TSFS yesterday-
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/afl/aflsunday/

and said Paul Hudson working with him on goal kicking.

as BT or others stated on sat night- it is only his 5th AFL game-
and most players moving from VFL or other state league state that the speed of the game is the big differance that they need to get used to.
i'm satisfied the boy will make it......big time....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.