Pick 3 in next years draft: locked in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 3 in next years draft: locked in

thejiggingsaint wrote:Hey Bergholt, fair comment re: our "incompetence" in 2000, but I have to agree with Mullet on this one. Our "incompetence" gained us one priority pick, and we did then start to make some progress (albeit slowly) and by 2003 were showing massive improvements. The Demons on the other hand have simply wasted every handout received from the AFL, I'm with Mullet on this one
Yeah, to some extent that's true, but what's the other option? If the AFL stops helping them then they continue to be a basket case and probably fold. That messes up the TV deal and so the stability of the other clubs - I'm not sure anyone wants that!

The clubs are separate in name only, but really we're all just arms of the AFL and so we're all in the same boat. Collingwood are the biggest but they can't be successful without 17 other clubs to play against. We're one of the small clubs so this fact has saved us in the past and it'll continue to do so into the future. Given that, it seems like a bad precedent to oppose assistance to other small clubs.

After all, there's a fair chance we'll need it ourselves at some point in the next five years...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

errrr
why do we need boyd again, who is a forward?

midfielders in the first picks and try and get defenders by other means
not sold on mitch brown, watched him against the crows few weeks ago and thought he did not much
might thrive under a diff environment tho
f*** knows whats happening with frawley
whats his status, no wehre near free agent, is he contracted, can walk to draft, what??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:errrr
why do we need boyd again, who is a forward?

midfielders in the first picks and try and get defenders by other means
not sold on mitch brown, watched him against the crows few weeks ago and thought he did not much
might thrive under a diff environment tho
f*** knows whats happening with frawley
whats his status, no wehre near free agent, is he contracted, can walk to draft, what??

He is contracted for one more year. I cant see how we get him or why he would come to us. Doubt it would be money because im guessing melbourne could match our offer.

Kiedis
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Just get Aish and best available kid at 22 and Ill be pumped.
Then get Mitch Brown on top.
Wouldn't it be nice to get a silky Aish type with our 1st & a slider such as a Dunstan (could be the classic immediate-impact slider) with our 2nd pick.

Especially if we're looking to upgrade/bolster our top picks.

I'm really hoping we come out smiling in this regard.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lets get Aish and the best avaiaable at pick 22

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

If we wre to get Aish at #3, we might be able to trade around a bit and get our hands on another early pick that we could snare someone like Sheed. Yes, we have a massive hole in our Key Defensive area, but hopefully we can address that through Free Agency !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Melbourne pushing hard for a priority pick but unlikely to get their way IMO.
Is Farren still keen to move to Melbourne? If so, I'd be keen to do a Ray and pick 3/4 for their pick 2. Whilst I like Scharenberg after seeing him a couple of times, I am just so keen on Aish.

Then again, lets deal with GWS and give them our 23 and Stanley/Fisher for pick 10, then have a gentlemans agreement to let them allow Boyd to slip to #2 for us.

Pie in the sky stuff, but we there are ways of making these things look more attractive. Dees did it last year with GWS so that the Giants didnt bid for Viney.

So they lose twice. We give them a poor trade and they also lose boyd. Very pie in the sky stuff. i still say we need mids more than we need forwards.
I tend to agree, why would they do that? But I wouldn't mind exploring the idea rather than than focussing on just the specifics of a trade suggestion weighted in our favour. Only could genuinely expect that to happen is if we gave them overs for someone, ie someone they want like Stanley and pick 23 for pick 19 or so... basically we lose out and give away Stanley for a small pick upgrade and in return we get our hands on a power fwd who can pinch hit in the ruck - I cant see a need for Patton, Boyd, Buddy and Cameron. Same arguement could be made for Stanley but they may see some value in his age or versatility - please dont focus on Stanley - could be anyone they may like.

Just ideas to get our hands on possibly the best key fwd we are going to see in the next decade without compromising our list or draft position too much. The reason why GWS would do something like that is they can still get the best player in the draft other than the one we want most.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Melbourne pushing hard for a priority pick but unlikely to get their way IMO.
Is Farren still keen to move to Melbourne? If so, I'd be keen to do a Ray and pick 3/4 for their pick 2. Whilst I like Scharenberg after seeing him a couple of times, I am just so keen on Aish.

Then again, lets deal with GWS and give them our 23 and Stanley/Fisher for pick 10, then have a gentlemans agreement to let them allow Boyd to slip to #2 for us.

Pie in the sky stuff, but we there are ways of making these things look more attractive. Dees did it last year with GWS so that the Giants didnt bid for Viney.
I'm not sure about Farren. He's been given decent opportunity this season and apparently that was the reason why he asked for a trade last year to Melbourne. I don't think he cared too much if the trade didn't happen and was quick to re-sign with the Saints once a deal couldn't be struck. I like the idea of using fringe type players to move up the draft order but not sure if Melbourne would be keen now given Neeld is no longer at the club.

I think GWS are the club to deal with because they have the best assets in terms of young players on the fringe who may benefit a team like us in our current situation as well as a few early picks up their sleeve through obtaining compensation picks and being high up the draft order. I'd be staying away from pick 1 and Boyd because GWS will want far too much in return. Their pick 10 and second round pick 20 are good selections to target.

Even know Stanley has had an up and down season I hope the club perseveres given our lack of talls on our list. An extremely good offer would need to be presented if I were to trade him. I'd want a deal from GWS involving one of their young kids like Adams or Tomlinson. Fisher on the other hand I would be willing to trade due to his age bracket. I'm not sure he has much value and likely has a return similar to what the Bulldogs got for Lake last year. Also doubts over his willingness to leave Melbourne for Sydney.

I think it's naive to think deals at the draft don't happen, a good example is Viney, as you mentioned. I suspect when it comes to the top 10 draft picks all clubs have a very good idea who is selected prior to the draft. I say this because there are too many mock drafts that get around that are spot on inside that top 10. It was common knowledge GWS were taking Whitfield, O'Rourke and Plowmam with the first three selections.

We really need to target key backs and midfielders more so than key forwards like Boyd however he is too good to refuse so if available you would take him. Not sure it's worth making a deal for pick 1 for him though. I'd be extremely happy with Aish and not quite equally happy but nevertheless very satisfied with picking up Sharenberg who will no doubt be a gun. I'm confident he can run through the midfield because his 1 v 1 game is very good and he has a few tricks like Goddard - Positions his body well whether marking or picking up the loose ball. In the midfield he'll use his smarts around the pack more so than his pace.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm still on Scharenberg. Saw the under 18s carnival last year and his games for SA were awesome. Aish is pretty dominant too otherwise take a punt on jack Billings for mine he is a short arse half forward that plays taller than his height. Some say he is the most talented player in the draft. Boyd will be good but is really just a pipe dream to get to us.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 6674561058
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-01/s ... ars-for-sa

supersaints
Club Player

Kiedis wrote:
True Believer wrote:Interesting comment from Watters at last night's presser. Apparently we have had the least number of top 20 picks of any club over the past decade. It'd funny but I've never thought of it in those terms, but it's certainly a disadvantage when trying to maintain a strong list from on top of the ladder.
Also heard a comment earlier in the day, Geelong haven't had a pick higher than 7 in the past 10 years was it?
May be so but they did get gifted several players that would easily have been top ten picks via the father and sun rule, they only had to use their late picks on them
I'm pretty confident that we would have prospered just as well had we been so fortunate!!!

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
St Ick wrote:

I'm not sure about Farren. He's been given decent opportunity this season and apparently that was the reason why he asked for a trade last year to Melbourne. I don't think he cared too much if the trade didn't happen and was quick to re-sign with the Saints once a deal couldn't be struck. I like the idea of using fringe type players to move up the draft order but not sure if Melbourne would be keen now given Neeld is no longer at the club.

I think GWS are the club to deal with because they have the best assets in terms of young players on the fringe who may benefit a team like us in our current situation as well as a few early picks up their sleeve through obtaining compensation picks and being high up the draft order. I'd be staying away from pick 1 and Boyd because GWS will want far too much in return. Their pick 10 and second round pick 20 are good selections to target.

Even know Stanley has had an up and down season I hope the club perseveres given our lack of talls on our list. An extremely good offer would need to be presented if I were to trade him. I'd want a deal from GWS involving one of their young kids like Adams or Tomlinson. Fisher on the other hand I would be willing to trade due to his age bracket. I'm not sure he has much value and likely has a return similar to what the Bulldogs got for Lake last year. Also doubts over his willingness to leave Melbourne for Sydney.

I think it's naive to think deals at the draft don't happen, a good example is Viney, as you mentioned. I suspect when it comes to the top 10 draft picks all clubs have a very good idea who is selected prior to the draft. I say this because there are too many mock drafts that get around that are spot on inside that top 10. It was common knowledge GWS were taking Whitfield, O'Rourke and Plowmam with the first three selections.

We really need to target key backs and midfielders more so than key forwards like Boyd however he is too good to refuse so if available you would take him. Not sure it's worth making a deal for pick 1 for him though. I'd be extremely happy with Aish and not quite equally happy but nevertheless very satisfied with picking up Sharenberg who will no doubt be a gun. I'm confident he can run through the midfield because his 1 v 1 game is very good and he has a few tricks like Goddard - Positions his body well whether marking or picking up the loose ball. In the midfield he'll use his smarts around the pack more so than his pace.

I actually spoke to a sports journo today at my kids footy and he was saying Gary Ablett has put a lot of the kids noses out of joint because he doesn't share the ball around. If that's the case we should definitely target them also. get another Caddy type out of them.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

True Believer wrote:Interesting comment from Watters at last night's presser. Apparently we have had the least number of top 20 picks of any club over the past decade. It'd funny but I've never thought of it in those terms, but it's certainly a disadvantage when trying to maintain a strong list from on top of the ladder.
And have a look at what we've done with some of our first round picks in that time..Swapped one, for Lovett, another for Fergus Watts and the jury is still out on our picks 12 & 13 from last year.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Kiedis wrote:
Also heard a comment earlier in the day, Geelong haven't had a pick higher than 7 in the past 10 years was it?

I've had it up to here with the Geelong and how good they are etc etc. I'm over it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I'm still on Scharenberg. Saw the under 18s carnival last year and his games for SA were awesome. Aish is pretty dominant too otherwise take a punt on jack Billings for mine he is a short arse half forward that plays taller than his height. Some say he is the most talented player in the draft. Boyd will be good but is really just a pipe dream to get to us.

I definitely wouldn't be unhappy with Sharenberg or Billings. Here's the descriptions for my mock draft I'm doing up.

Pick #3 – St Kilda - Matt Sharenberg (18/09/95)
Height: 190cm – Weight: 85kg
Club: Glenelg
Position – Utility
Player Comparison: Brendan Goddard
Draft Range: 1-3
Profile: Sharenberg has much strength to his game and can play in just about any position on the field. He’s played most of his footy down back holding down Centre Half Back as an undersized key position player or as that rebounding loose man. It doesn’t matter if he has an opponent because he has such a good footy brain that he knows exactly when to play tight, zone or attack. Very good 1 v 1 and smart around the ball whether in a marking contest or collecting the loose ball. This enables for him to rack up the disposals. Very good at cutting off opposition attacks and will put his body in the right positions and take contested marks. He could very well hold down a spot in the midfield, he certainly has the endurance base for that position. Very good user of the ball, not quite to Goddard level however above Sam Fisher. I see Sharenberg as in between those two players. So far he’s played his best footy down back but that doesn’t mean his AFL career reflects that.

Pick #5 – Gold Coast – Jack Billings (18/08/95)
Height: 183cm - Weight: 78kg
Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Position: Medium Half Forward
Player Comparison: Ryan O’Keefe
Draft Range: 4-10
Profile: Billings may only be 183cm in height however he plays much taller. He’s an extremely good 1 v 1 marking player and consistently wins contested marks against players taller than him. Very good vertical leap, he protects the dropping ball superbly and takes those one-grab marks out in front. He’s seen as that dangerous forward of centre player who links up well and will provide his team with top-notch delivery as well as being a major goal kicking threat himself. The thing with Billings is he hasn’t been tested enough in the midfield to know if he can succeed in that area and because of this his draft ranking may slide from outside the top 5. I see him as that bargain pick who has as much ability as any in this draft in a similar fashion to Sam Mayes last draft. Even if he plays his career as that high half forward he provides a very interesting prospect for the club that selects him. I compare Billings to Ryan O’Keefe when O’Keefe played more as a forward. Billings doesn’t have that freak endurance O’Keefe possesses.

Very interesting what you heard about the Gold Coast / Ablett situation. I would've thought he was a god in the eyes of the young kids...Perhaps an opportunity there as you suggest.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

would love to somehow snare sharenberg AND aish

dont want to go getting rid of bigboy armo joey etc tho for it

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
gringo wrote:I'm still on Scharenberg. Saw the under 18s carnival last year and his games for SA were awesome. Aish is pretty dominant too otherwise take a punt on jack Billings for mine he is a short arse half forward that plays taller than his height. Some say he is the most talented player in the draft. Boyd will be good but is really just a pipe dream to get to us.

I definitely wouldn't be unhappy with Sharenberg or Billings. Here's the descriptions for my mock draft I'm doing up.

Pick #3 – St Kilda - Matt Sharenberg (18/09/95)
Height: 190cm – Weight: 85kg
Club: Glenelg
Position – Utility
Player Comparison: Brendan Goddard
Draft Range: 1-3
Profile: Sharenberg has much strength to his game and can play in just about any position on the field. He’s played most of his footy down back holding down Centre Half Back as an undersized key position player or as that rebounding loose man. It doesn’t matter if he has an opponent because he has such a good footy brain that he knows exactly when to play tight, zone or attack. Very good 1 v 1 and smart around the ball whether in a marking contest or collecting the loose ball. This enables for him to rack up the disposals. Very good at cutting off opposition attacks and will put his body in the right positions and take contested marks. He could very well hold down a spot in the midfield, he certainly has the endurance base for that position. Very good user of the ball, not quite to Goddard level however above Sam Fisher. I see Sharenberg as in between those two players. So far he’s played his best footy down back but that doesn’t mean his AFL career reflects that.

Pick #5 – Gold Coast – Jack Billings (18/08/95)
Height: 183cm - Weight: 78kg
Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Position: Medium Half Forward
Player Comparison: Ryan O’Keefe
Draft Range: 4-10
Profile: Billings may only be 183cm in height however he plays much taller. He’s an extremely good 1 v 1 marking player and consistently wins contested marks against players taller than him. Very good vertical leap, he protects the dropping ball superbly and takes those one-grab marks out in front. He’s seen as that dangerous forward of centre player who links up well and will provide his team with top-notch delivery as well as being a major goal kicking threat himself. The thing with Billings is he hasn’t been tested enough in the midfield to know if he can succeed in that area and because of this his draft ranking may slide from outside the top 5. I see him as that bargain pick who has as much ability as any in this draft in a similar fashion to Sam Mayes last draft. Even if he plays his career as that high half forward he provides a very interesting prospect for the club that selects him. I compare Billings to Ryan O’Keefe when O’Keefe played more as a forward. Billings doesn’t have that freak endurance O’Keefe possesses.

Very interesting what you heard about the Gold Coast / Ablett situation. I would've thought he was a god in the eyes of the young kids...Perhaps an opportunity there as you suggest.

Goddard is the player I could most identify with Scharenberg. He can play that quarterback rebound role and also the running rebounder from defence. Plays like a backline midfielder if that makes sense. Along with Colquhoun last year he was a lethal combo from the backline. Set up everything and gained massive amounts of ground between them.

suss
Club Player

The run home looks very interesting. Melbourne and the Dogs probably have more winnable games, but then again, we're actually not playing that badly and could jag a couple more wins. We definitely have better % than those two, and that might send us into fourth last.

It seems that Boyd, Aish and Sharenberg will go 1,2,3 (maybe not in that order though). My question is: who would go at 4 and 5 and are they miles off the first three?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:The run home looks very interesting. Melbourne and the Dogs probably have more winnable games, but then again, we're actually not playing that badly and could jag a couple more wins. We definitely have better % than those two, and that might send us into fourth last.

It seems that Boyd, Aish and Sharenberg will go 1,2,3 (maybe not in that order though). My question is: who would go at 4 and 5 and are they miles off the first three?

Not really. i like Scharenberg and Aish but there was plenty of other good kids- Billings is the guy who could be anything- plays undersized hf so might be mid or third tall in the AFL some say could be the best of the lot.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
suss wrote:The run home looks very interesting. Melbourne and the Dogs probably have more winnable games, but then again, we're actually not playing that badly and could jag a couple more wins. We definitely have better % than those two, and that might send us into fourth last.

Not really. i like Scharenberg and Aish but there was plenty of other good kids- Billings is the guy who could be anything- plays undersized hf so might be mid or third tall in the AFL some say could be the best of the lot.
At this point I see the top three set in stone with Boyd going 1 and then Aish and Sharenberg. I'm of the similar view to you in regards to Billings. I would not be upset if the club selected him one bit, even with a pick as high as 3. He's all class with elite skills and X Factor. Kelly is the other highly rated player who looks destined to go top 5. Personally I like Kelly the least of the other top 5 prospects and would even look at others not mentioned before him. Very outside game and may struggle against a tag. A bit like Stephen Hill from Freo.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Dogs a huge chance.10 minutes to go.

Pick 1 for Pick 3 + C.Jones?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

would anyone trade pick 22 + player for another top 10 pick. Don't have a clue who to bundle but i think GC would look at it for a quick boost to finals or perhaps Kangaroos

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Pick 1 for Pick 3 + C.Jones?
Lol. No lefty. They would want a McEvoy, Armo or Steven bundled with pick 3. You need to understand clubs aren't bidding for pick 1 but instead Thomas Boyd who is that clear pick 1 monster key forward.
Griggsy wrote:would anyone trade pick 22 + player for another top 10 pick. Don't have a clue who to bundle but i think GC would look at it for a quick boost to finals or perhaps Kangaroos
Unless you are moving into a top 5 pick then not worth losing a player over. There are about 5 clear standouts in the draft then an evenness through to the end of the first round and start of the second round. We could find ourselves with a nice player at pick 22. A lot of midfield depth, much better than the last two seasons so we will have some good prospects to choose from.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Pick 1 for Pick 3 + C.Jones?

We would end up with pick 4.

southernsaint
Club Player

Maybe north are the ones to deal with. Not sure exactly how it works but if they were to trade their 1st rounder to us for a player and our 2nd rounder pick 21 or 22, is that enough to satisfy the father son bidding process by offering the earliest pick available or do they have to use an actual 1st round pick to take young McDonald???