Jack Steven's last qrt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Steven's last qrt

BigMart wrote:Yes, it was good.... But

Again, how was his first three...... At least try and look at a game in its entirety?!

Overall game, was not A Grade.... Thought he was the 5th best of the mids tonight.... Armitage, Joey, Dal and Lenny were good over 4. Armitage s tackling (like the one that knocked him put and created Jacks goal) was very good.

sometimes
just sometimes, you havent got a friggin clue

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Matrix.... The game goes for 4 quarters.

How did Jack play in the first three, we were getting pumped at HT.... Who played well when the chips were down....

Yes he had a great quarter of footy, Jack himself has said, his challenge is to string 4 quarters together.... Which he's done a few times...

Dal and Joey had excellent 4 quarter games.... I rated Hayes and Armo as the hardest working players defensively over the game
Unfortunately Armo got knocked out, creating a Steven goal.... And missed the last ten minutes.... But I think Lenny and Him had an impact.

One big quarter, is not 120 mins.... He may well have got a message at 3qt.... Or he ground his tagger down?, not sure....

Jack has turned into a fair player, getting better all the time.... Still lacks composure and balance which effects his disposal, but is a great ball winner..... His hero worshipping on here tells a story of where were at?

Not sure his DT average.... But it does reveal effectiveness....

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so he played one good qtr of footy,,,out of 4?

he did nothing in the other 3 qtrs?

is this what you are telling the forum?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes, he was average for three quarters..... Excellent in the last quarter

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Both Jack Steven and Nick Dal Santo were tagged in the first half. At half time, Jack was not on the board of leading possession winners (not in the top 20) but Nick was second in possessions to Leigh. Strangely, after half time, both lost their tags. Jack's went to Leigh and the other as a player behind the ball once it was in our half. The result was there for all to see. Both had freedom to run to position and generally used it. Along with it came some confidence. As I have mentioned elsewhere, the coach took Nick off with four minutes to play. Religiously sticking to rotations when a game is to won is foolish, particularly when the player concerned (Nick) wasn't blowing at all. A few of the others were (eg Leigh, Lenny, the other Nick) but he wasn't. In fact, he was standing on the boundary line with his hands on his hips looking around at the guy on the bench with the headphones as much to say "What's going on?".

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Matrix.... The game goes for 4 quarters.

How did Jack play in the first three, we were getting pumped at HT.... Who played well when the chips were down....

Yes he had a great quarter of footy, Jack himself has said, his challenge is to string 4 quarters together.... Which he's done a few times...

Dal and Joey had excellent 4 quarter games.... I rated Hayes and Armo as the hardest working players defensively over the game
Unfortunately Armo got knocked out, creating a Steven goal.... And missed the last ten minutes.... But I think Lenny and Him had an impact.

One big quarter, is not 120 mins.... He may well have got a message at 3qt.... Or he ground his tagger down?, not sure....

Jack has turned into a fair player, getting better all the time.... Still lacks composure and balance which effects his disposal, but is a great ball winner..... His hero worshipping on here tells a story of where were at?

Not sure his DT average.... But it does reveal effectiveness....

He has turned into a fair player. You really have no idea. he is much better than fair but because you havent really rated him previously and you dont know how to say wrrrr you refuse to call him anything but a fair player. if he is fair player then Armo must be downright poor which obviously he isnt. He has been just about our best player this year. No doubt at all. Every stat you look at suggests it. And his disposal this year is clearly as good as nay f our mids. Im sure stats may even suggest that. Players can improve in areas and people can say the word wrong. You cant obviously.

You are continuing last nights form and if jack only has fair form your form last night was embarrassing. You need to lift or you will be delisted.

Middo
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:Both Jack Steven and Nick Dal Santo were tagged in the first half. At half time, Jack was not on the board of leading possession winners (not in the top 20) but Nick was second in possessions to Leigh. Strangely, after half time, both lost their tags. Jack's went to Leigh and the other as a player behind the ball once it was in our half. The result was there for all to see. Both had freedom to run to position and generally used it. Along with it came some confidence. As I have mentioned elsewhere, the coach took Nick off with four minutes to play. Religiously sticking to rotations when a game is to won is foolish, particularly when the player concerned (Nick) wasn't blowing at all. A few of the others were (eg Leigh, Lenny, the other Nick) but he wasn't. In fact, he was standing on the boundary line with his hands on his hips looking around at the guy on the bench with the headphones as much to say "What's going on?".
Jack Steven is a dud ... You have no idea ..!!!!
A Grade midfielder as shown last night , stood up when it was needed !!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Robert Shaw was on with Mark Fine earlier and compared Steven's last quarter with an Ablett type quarter.

While not saying he is an Ablett (who is an absolutet <edited by MOD> freak, anyone see his game against Collingwood? Holy <edit by MOD> but that his hign praise indeed and bodes well for the future.

But as one luminary on here who will never admit to being wrong he is only a fair player :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Enrico_Misso wrote:Is he now our best player?
It depends on how you measure it.

Right here and now if you are talking about the ability to "turn" games, then Jack is No 1.

Dal played a very good 4 quarter game yesterday, but was never brilliant.

Joey was very good too, but some early wayward kicks spoilt is first half somewhat.

If Jack can become more consistently good, ten he will become an elite player.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

It was a great game from a young bloke who is learning all the time and will only get better once he understands how good he is and what he can do!

PADDLEPOP1000
paulski
Club Player

Loving Jacks work at the moment!

Hope he realises how good he can be.

That last quarter goal was electric!

When he's on his attack at the footy is awesome! Both ways.!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jack is on track to be a super star and has been incredible all year. Lenny lifts the team but he had a pretty quiet game for him. Dal was probably the best statistically and Montagna 4 quarters of solid footy but for pure impact Stevens was the most important player we had. Armo was good but not as good as last week.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who's had the better year... Montagna or Steven?

Who had the better game,... Dal or Steven?

Interested to see the answers

BTW
As I've repeatedly said, Jack is entering A Grade territory... More consistency in games and he will be.... Improve his decision making and foot skills and he will become elite
But seriously, he's not a superstar....
He won't even be All Australian, but will be close....

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Who's had the better year... Montagna or Steven?

BTW
As I've repeatedly said, Jack is entering A Grade territory... More consistency in games and he will be.... Improve his decision making and foot skills and he will become elite

Different players but Montagna is very good and consistent as an outside runner but Jack has been forced to play as a primary extractor in the middle when Lenny went down. Jack is still a developing player and is still up and down but he has had some killer games this year.

Dal had an outstanding game but for impact that went towards our nearly winning Jack hands down. Jack was held out of the match and we lost the clearances. Jack asserted himself on the game and we nearly stole the game. Jack was nearly the match winner and lifted us like the champions of the game do.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

You want comparisions when the two players are in their late twenties while Steven is still developing in his early twenties?

What a joke.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BTW
I'm sure I read a post on here post-game where you derided Dal's game because 'he wasn't tagged'.
Now you are lauding his game in an attempt to downplay Steven's game?

And for the record, most of the comments in this thread about Jack seem to be making the observation that he is starting to fulfil his 'promise' and become 'elite'.
I'm not sure too many are categorically stating he is already 'elite'.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BTW

Jack and Joey have had very similar years. jack is coming from a much lower base having come only about 9th in the b&F last year. Joey just lost to Lenny. As for the game its called peoples opinions who had the better game. If people say jack it doesnt mean they are wrong and it doesnt mean they are favouring jack. You gave Dempster best last week and i doubt anyone, even the coaches, did that. Its an opinion and why do you continue to try and find a negative for every positive post. What the hell is wrong with you. You cant get over Jack being better than you thought he was going to be.

And by the way his kicking and decision making has been very good this year. And he waont be AA but will be close. Again finding a negative. What about just saying he will be close to AA this year and isnt that a great effort. And you are right he isnt a superstar yet. Cant find many if any posts to suggest people have even said that.

By the way i wrote this before I saw MM and JB replies and its amazing that both have pretty much said similar things.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

You want comparisions when the two players are in their late twenties while Steven is still developing in his early twenties?

What a joke.

Ah Joey has played about 200 games jack is on about 65

Joey in 2013 is

Ranked 4th in Total Kicks Ranked 12th in Total Disposals
Ranked 12th in Total Dreamteam Score Ranked 13th in Total Uncontested Possessions
Ranked 12th in Total Effective Disposals Ranked 4th in Kicks Per Game
Ranked 10th in Disposals Per Game Ranked 13th in Supercoach Score Per Game
Ranked 9th in Dreamteam Score Per Game Ranked 6th in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 12th in Effective Disposals Per Game

Jack this year is

Ranked 17th in Total Disposals Ranked 8th in Total Supercoach Score
Ranked 18th in Total Contested Possessions Ranked 11th in Total Clearances
Ranked 6th in Total Bounces Ranked 15th in Supercoach Score Per Game
Ranked 17th in Clearances Per Game Ranked 11th in Bounces Per Game

As you can see jack is winning more contested ball joey is getting more outside disposals but Joey is 13th in Supercoach and Jack 15th- pretty similar seasons and both in the top 20 in their respective rankings. Pretty fair effort from both but definitely not a huge gulf there.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So Jack

In his sixth season.... Should be at the top of his game?? Dal and Joey at 29 coming out of their prime?

I'm mean Hayes in his fourth season 2003 was an AA and B&F his sixth season was an AA
Ball the same in 2005 B&F and AA fourth season 21yo
Dal an AA in his 4th season
Took Joey until his sixth season to be B&F runner up

Armitage, McEvoy, Steven, Geary are the players in their prime ATM.... Although 30 games short of where they should be... Due to Lyon...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So Jack

In his sixth season.... Should be at the top of his game?? Dal and Joey at 29 coming out of their prime?

I'm mean Hayes in his fourth season 2003 was an AA and B&F his sixth season was an AA

Armitage, McEvoy, Steven, Geary are the players in their prime ATM.... Although 30 games short of where they should be... Due to Lyon...

Except he has only broken the magical 50 games mark this year and is showing all the marks of a super star now he has got consistency. He played probably 22 of those last year. A bit hard to be a champion if you don't get games.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Firstly it may get points here but jack had OP for most of his first 3 of AFL footy and pulled up sore after many games and was even having a small operation every 4 weeks to relieve the pain. Armo played 12 games in his second year when we made the finals, ben played a hell of a lot for a young ruckman especially since we also had King and MG and Geary got many games but go with it if it makes you feel better. Anyway i have no idea what yoor point actually is. Is jack not as good as lenny? Or is he only a fair player due to RL even though most in the media now rate him well above that.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Firstly it may get points here but jack had OP for most of his first 3 of AFL footy and pulled up sore after many games and was even having a small operation every 4 weeks to relieve the pain. Armo played 12 games in his second year when we made the finals, ben played a hell of a lot for a young ruckman especially since we also had King and MG and Geary got many games but go with it if it makes you feel better. Anyway i have no idea what yoor point actually is. Is jack not as good as lenny? Or is he only a fair player due to RL even though most in the media now rate him well above that.

I don't get it either- he's in the top 20 in the whole comp on plenty of stats and has done everything you could expect to take his game to the next level. Lenny, Joey, Dal, Roo all got played because we were a genuine bottomed out team and they just played every possible game while they developed- it's impossible to measure on years because it just wasn't the same amount of games given evenly.

Can't we just say they are good and Jack is good but they are not getting better but there is still scope for him to be an elite player? Even if he now stagnates he will be a very good player just not elite.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Will be a top 5 mid in the comp and real Brownlow chance in the next season or two... A comp superstar within 24 months...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Raph was better than TDL.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
PJ
SS Life Member

I've been critical of Jack in the past but to say he's only fair is just well....you be the judge?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.