Guess The Crowd: Saints vs Port Saturday Night Special!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Guess The Crowd: Saints vs Port Saturday Night Special!

SunburySaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:what ever .... you guys get spoilt by having the option almost every week to see your team play live i cant for the life of me understand why you dont turn up .... it especially get my goat when fans jump on facebook or on here and spout off about the team not trying or not putting enough effort in when our own fans cant be bothered to turn up ....

Surely if you have something else on then you cant go. Some days dont suit certain people and saturday is basically impossible for as sunday maybe for others. You get one or 2 games a year and can probably organise things around it. We get about 15 a year and sometimes other things are on. Just like you love following the saints I also love following Ormond and have to support them as well. And i dont reckon i have ever posted a thread on the effort of the Saints players but I would hope effort doesnt go out the door because they are worried about the fans turning up or not. They will get the same pay either way and we should expect full effort.

Agree with Plugger. Sometimes having 15 or 16 games to be able to attend isnt a luxury if things come up.... I didnt go because my 2 boys were sick... doesnt mean I am any less of a fan and it also doesn't mean if I want to vent my frustration about the p!ss poor first half performance I can't because "I didnt turn up"

People have legitimate reasons for not going, I am a fully paid up member so they already have my money.
again im not having a go at people having a legit reason for not attending but 14k fans is not just everyone else is busy thats bandwagoners jumping off thats fair weather supporters not bothering to turn up , these same people will complain we dont get MCG games that we dont get prime time games and that we get pushed aside for Collingwood Carlton Richmond and Essendon ....

yeah you purchased your membership good on you but bums on seats gets prime time games that turns into sponsors thinking we are an attractive team to link to that gets us more $ to be more competitive ... its any wonder big companies jump to collingwood and stick with them despite their off field issues yet we get houshold names like Jeldwen :roll: who hold our club to ransom by threatening to pull out if Roo doesnt use a tissue to wipe his nose ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I think you better get used to it. we are a small club with a small supporter base as shown by not even breaking 40K members when we made 2 GF's. its going to get worse before it gets better. Just look at our membership tally. We have 2 K less members than North and a few less than melbourne. yes thats Melbourne the side that some on here have laughed at for a few years. Everyone wants us to be one of the bigger clubs but we arent and it looks like we never will be. i have always thought that and thats why I am always so keen for the AFL to continue to be the best and biggest competition in Australia so they continue to support smaller sides and keep an 18 team competition because if they dont we are certainly one of the clubs in the gun. Success over tha last few years will mean stuff all in the next broadcast rights when we are likely to be a bottom few side.
oh i know ... and thats the sad part about it , people complain so much about what our club should do and why cant we be this blah blah blah it gives me the s***s ... i meet many many saints fans we have strong numbers who support our team but our numbers who support our team are not anywhere near as passionate as those of the big clubs ... we can be a big club but we just cant be arsed

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The crowds will drop, back in the old days when we expected losses we still turned up but the new breed has had a taste of success and simply can't handle the losses.

They will return when we start winning again...sad but true.

PS we aren't the only club that goes through this.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I think you better get used to it. we are a small club with a small supporter base as shown by not even breaking 40K members when we made 2 GF's. its going to get worse before it gets better. Just look at our membership tally. We have 2 K less members than North and a few less than melbourne. yes thats Melbourne the side that some on here have laughed at for a few years. Everyone wants us to be one of the bigger clubs but we arent and it looks like we never will be. i have always thought that and thats why I am always so keen for the AFL to continue to be the best and biggest competition in Australia so they continue to support smaller sides and keep an 18 team competition because if they dont we are certainly one of the clubs in the gun. Success over tha last few years will mean stuff all in the next broadcast rights when we are likely to be a bottom few side.
oh i know ... and thats the sad part about it , people complain so much about what our club should do and why cant we be this blah blah blah it gives me the s***s ... i meet many many saints fans we have strong numbers who support our team but our numbers who support our team are not anywhere near as passionate as those of the big clubs ... we can be a big club but we just cant be arsed
This is also garbage.
We will never be a big club we simply do not have the supporter base.
Collingwood have 70,000 members but how many supporters? Every second person you meet is a Collingwood supporter but few of them are actually members.
It is the same with every club.
We do have a large number of supporters but how many of those are members?
I think you will find that our ratio of members to supporters is quite favorable.
The passionate supporters are the ones who pay their money year in year out to the club.
Anyone who criticizes fully paid up members who don't show up to the games for whatever reason should be the ones who are ashamed of themselves not the supporter not going.
Remember it is the paid up members who keep this club alive.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:The crowds will drop, back in the old days when we expected losses we still turned up but the new breed has had a taste of success and simply can't handle the losses.

That is blatantly untrue in the 80s the crowds at Moorabbin Oval were frequently abysmal.
We had an average crowd of 12789 in 1986 at Moorabbin and we pretty much floated around the 17000 for the rest of the decade.
So please stop looking at the old days with the rose coloured glasses as they simply weren't as great as you remember.
Don't misunderstand me I loved it back then, I would get to the ground at about 11:00 to catch the end of the Under 19s.
At that time me and the mate I used to go with would be able to get a seat on the fence.
So I can be nostalgic about the bad old days but I am not delusional that we had packed crowds even though we were constantly getting our arses handed to us.

And here is the site to prove what I said.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/vn_ ... _oval.html

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

From my time being in Primary and High School, St Kilda were one of the most popular club in schools/footy clubs/work places, among the young people. I really do think we have supporters, its just a matter of turning them into Members and getting them interested. I think we have a good foundation to build on for the next 10-20 years. Need to make a day at the footy fun. Make people want to go to the footy, even if its not just to watch the game. We also need the right people at the top

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I remember sitting out at Waverley in about 2005 with about 5000 supporters in the rain against the Dees -we didn't get many going to our games unless we were going well and Moorabin looked full with very few people.

I had to get the boy up for an 8 am game for his under 9s lightening premiership thing. I wasn't going to get him up if we went to the game.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I remember sitting out at Waverley in about 2005 with about 5000 supporters in the rain against the Dees -we didn't get many going to our games unless we were going well and Moorabin looked full with very few people.

I had to get the boy up for an 8 am game for his under 9s lightening premiership thing. I wasn't going to get him up if we went to the game.
2005 yeah

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
dragit
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:From my time being in Primary and High School, St Kilda were one of the most popular club in schools/footy clubs/work places, among the young people. I really do think we have supporters, its just a matter of turning them into Members and getting them interested. I think we have a good foundation to build on for the next 10-20 years. Need to make a day at the footy fun. Make people want to go to the footy, even if its not just to watch the game. We also need the right people at the top
Where did you go to school clarky?

Been a long time since I was in high school, but I can't remember a single other saints supporter at school, certainly not in my year, probably the odd one in other levels... I wasn't in the south east of Melbourne though where I guess it would be more prominent...

All my mates were hawthorn, Essendon collingwood and Carlton... Surprise surprise.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I remember sitting out at Waverley in about 2005 with about 5000 supporters in the rain against the Dees -we didn't get many going to our games unless we were going well and Moorabin looked full with very few people.

Maybe 1995. Was that at King George because it was bloody crowded?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I can't remember what year it was but before we came good in 97 and there was no one out at Waverley except the die hards in torrential rain. I'm not very good with my exact history but around that time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I can't remember what year it was but before we came good in 97 and there was no one out at Waverley except the die hards in torrential rain. I'm not very good with my exact history but around that time.

What about the lightning premiership. Was it at King george or elsewhere?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
The Fireman wrote:The crowds will drop, back in the old days when we expected losses we still turned up but the new breed has had a taste of success and simply can't handle the losses.

That is blatantly untrue in the 80s the crowds at Moorabbin Oval were frequently abysmal.
We had an average crowd of 12789 in 1986 at Moorabbin and we pretty much floated around the 17000 for the rest of the decade.
So please stop looking at the old days with the rose coloured glasses as they simply weren't as great as you remember.
Don't misunderstand me I loved it back then, I would get to the ground at about 11:00 to catch the end of the Under 19s.
At that time me and the mate I used to go with would be able to get a seat on the fence.
So I can be nostalgic about the bad old days but I am not delusional that we had packed crowds even though we were constantly getting our arses handed to us.

And here is the site to prove what I said.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/vn_ ... _oval.html
I often come out with blatant untruths...it's trait that I just can't shake, I am an abysmal liar. Now where was I? Oh yeah.

Now where did I say or intimate that the old days were great? They were what they were and we were very used to losses. So I have never owned a pair of rose coloured glasses I'm afraid.
The grd at Moorabbin wasn't as big as todays grds but occasionally it was packed and having a look at the stats yoiu posted we did ok comparing. and numbers are up right across the board these days.

So apart from being a blatant liar I repeat what I said.
Cheers :)
Last edited by The Fireman on Mon 22 Jul 2013 8:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote: I had to get the boy up for an 8 am game for his under 9s lightening premiership thing. I wasn't going to get him up if we went to the game.

I can't remember what year it was but before we came good in 97 and there was no one out at Waverley except the die hards in torrential rain. I'm not very good with my exact history but around that time.[/quote]

What about the lightning premiership. Was it at King george or elsewhere?[/quote]

I don't even know what King george is? I may have damaged my brain then because I'm pretty sure it was a home and away against the Dees.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote: I had to get the boy up for an 8 am game for his under 9s lightening premiership thing. I wasn't going to get him up if we went to the game.

My hand is raised

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Don't worry Firey- my memory is of standing packed in watching the backs of others at Moorabin. footy had more soul in those days where your cold feet would be stinging from standing all day and beer was full strength. My memory is of the days it was packed and loud with a crazy atmosphere.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Don't worry Firey- my memory is of standing packed in watching the backs of others at Moorabin. footy had more soul in those days where your cold feet would be stinging from standing all day and beer was full strength. My memory is of the days it was packed and loud with a crazy atmosphere.
my memory as well mate.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What about the lightning premiership. Was it at King george or elsewhere?[/quote]

I don't even know what King george is? I may have damaged my brain then because I'm pretty sure it was a home and away against the Dees.[/quote]

I thought you were talking about getting the boy up last Sunday for a lightning premiership and asked where it was played. I didnt know you kids was about 25 years of age and you were talking about the Melbourne game in 1995. I thought you had young kids.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

The bar was almost empty, didn't have to wait a second to be served. I enjoyed it.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Maybe 1995. Was that at King George because it was bloody crowded?

I don't even know what King george is? I may have damaged my brain then because I'm pretty sure it was a home and away against the Dees.[/quote]

I thought you were talking about getting the boy up last Sunday for a lightning premiership and asked where it was played. I didnt know you kids was about 25 years of age and you were talking about the Melbourne game in 1995. I thought you had young kids.[/quote]

what can I say- I had too much fun in the 90s and now am like Greg Williams on mogadon. I'm not so quick on the uptake by the look of it. I think it does have some name like that though. Port melbourne on Williamstown road heading west past Teac oval.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I don't even know what King george is? I may have damaged my brain then because I'm pretty sure it was a home and away against the Dees.

I thought you were talking about getting the boy up last Sunday for a lightning premiership and asked where it was played. I didnt know you kids was about 25 years of age and you were talking about the Melbourne game in 1995. I thought you had young kids.[/quote]

what can I say- I had too much fun in the 90s and now am like Greg Williams on mogadon. I'm not so quick on the uptake by the look of it. I think it does have some name like that though. Port melbourne on Williamstown road heading west past Teac oval.[/quote]

That is North Port oval. I was talking about an oval in East bentleigh where they had their under 9 lightning premiership on Sunday. It seems there were plenty of lightning premierships on Sunday. Well at least 2.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:The bar was almost empty, didn't have to wait a second to be served. I enjoyed it.
Weren't you in the CS?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:pathetic...... Victorian Supporters hang your heads in shame ....

None of your business if anyone turned up or not.

Maybe people had better things to do with their Saturday nights.

I for one was up on Sunday morning at 5.00 am for a 7.00am start to the half marathon I was running in.

My fitness and my sport is more important to me than making some far flung supporter from a backwater happy :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Greg T
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:
gringo wrote:Don't worry Firey- my memory is of standing packed in watching the backs of others at Moorabin. footy had more soul in those days where your cold feet would be stinging from standing all day and beer was full strength. My memory is of the days it was packed and loud with a crazy atmosphere.
my memory as well mate.
Wonderful days there', awesome atmosphere .
Went there as a tacka with Mum,then we took over the mantle with a reserved seat over the
Umps race for many years.
Soul is the perfect word

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I remember running down the race after the players after we won probably our only game for the year , against Rich I think. My mem is shot..anyway they closed the door and Molly meldrum moved around me to the door, I said tellem Im with you , got in and sung the song with them.

Try and do that now. 8-)