Young Saunders...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Young Saunders...

mad saint guy wrote:It's hard to place Saunders. He'll play five minutes of brilliant footy - winning clearances at full pace and delivering beautifully, then he'll look like a scrapper for the next 30 minutes before doing something impressive again.

We know he can do some very impressive things, for now he just needs to build his strength, endurance and composure to the point where he can consistently do the simple things well.
He was drafted less than a year ago, unless they are top 10 or a freak, glimpses in the big stuff is surely enough to ask for.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Superboot
SS Life Member

Josh will be a player.

Reminds me of Frankie Coghlan.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Dont worry in 3 or 4 years time we will look back and say how did that player ever play AFL footy back in 2013. While we are hopeful of all making it now only about 50% of those young kids playing now will be on our list in 3 years time.
That's true, but at least when we delist TDL, we'll all comfortably acknowledge he woldn't have made it.

Ledger and Dunnel I'm not so sure of

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:Josh will be a player.

I was thinking the same ...

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Well hopefully i am completely wrong and i dont mind hoping that. I reckon some on here would never admit wrong and are actually hoping they are right just to say I told you so. In my defence I didnt call him a dud, I called the pick a dud pick but again I would love to be proved wrong and there is no doubt i went to early and its unfair on him. Hopefully i was drunk at the time and thats a little excuse.

As for your other comments. yes we may have a few issues but in one year we did win 19 in a row and in the other we drew a GF. maybe we could have improved the side but RL was huge on role players and I trust his game day coaching over every single one of us on here and if he thought certain players would stuff up his roles then I bow to his judgement. As for Cahill i saw him many times and thought he wsnt a very good footballer and should never have played. he was one of a heap of very bad draft picks we had back then. And maybe cahill is as good as some playing now and that maybe the reason we are third bottom and back in those days we made 2 GF's. Dont worry in 3 or 4 years time we will look back and say how did that player ever play AFL footy back in 2013. While we are hopeful of all making it now only about 50% of those young kids playing now will be on our list in 3 years time.

Well plenty thought that Lynch was a spud and he has proven his worth. He got more time because of his high draft spot but most never get another go if they get delisted. Geelong have done very well out of obscure picks. JPod was considered for years to be only a VFL player but has proven worthy of a chance. I know you don't think guys that get delisted had anything going for them but it's a very cutthroat industry- if you aren't quick to take opportunity it's all over very fast. A mates nephew was cut from Collingwood after a year and he was a very good player but didn't take his opportunities as he got comfortable thinking he had 3 years or so.

No one will ever go back to him and he's got on with his life. You need a heap of resilience to go back and have another try at making it. I know another guy who broke his collar bone and missed the cut off for TAC cup squads - he played suburban footy a class above every body else but he lost his desire to go at it again and went and studied and travelled. Plenty as a junior said he's be a certainty to be drafted and his dad played at the Pies so he had some inroads.

There are some brilliant footballers who don't get the right timing or don't have the extra drive to go around a second time. Once you have been chewed and spat back out it leaves a pretty bad taste in your mouth. You need to respect the guys that make a second opportunity work because nothing comes gift wrapped.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: At least I arent stupid
:D

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Wigsy
Club Player

I can at least understand a perception against Ledger from the coaching staff - even if he simply has to be given a burst in the latter part and really not sure why it's taken this long - but I just do not understand Dunell at all. He just looks a couple of classes above VFL. Maybe it's a lack of clear position or a killer strength - not sure. I see a bunch of very solid traits, including leadership.

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
one point
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:

For those a little older he reminds me of Stephen Rae

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Pods was delisted twice

Played 8 years of VFL and got an opportunity

Often the difference between success and failure is opportunity..... And that often comes from good timing.

And
Some players just mature at different rates.... Like CJ

Superboot
SS Life Member

one point wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:

For those a little older he reminds me of Stephen Rae
Yes, he is a bit like Rae (now there was another stupidly let go to Richmond)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:
Yes, he is a bit like Rae (now there was another stupidly let go to Richmond)
yeah...don't know the reason for that either....was let go during the 1973 season after starting out with us as a 17 year old...was either 19th or 20th man in our losing grand final side in 1971 but got to play in the tigers premiership side in 1973.........strange but true...he was also an vfl umpire and an under 19's coach later in life after his career was cut short by a bad knee injury......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Wigsy wrote:I can at least understand a perception against Ledger from the coaching staff - even if he simply has to be given a burst in the latter part and really not sure why it's taken this long - but I just do not understand Dunell at all. He just looks a couple of classes above VFL. Maybe it's a lack of clear position or a killer strength - not sure. I see a bunch of very solid traits, including leadership.
Dunnell is too good for VFL and should be in the seniors- not sure what Watters is up to there. I would play him in place of TDL at least.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Wigsy wrote:...but I just do not understand Dunell at all. He just looks a couple of classes above VFL. Maybe it's a lack of clear position or a killer strength - not sure. I see a bunch of very solid traits, including leadership.
I'm going to go early on him and say that he'll never be much of a player at AFL level. He's similar to Farren Ray - not tall but not especially quick, disposal is just ok but not hugely creative, not much of a goal-kicker, not particularly hard or defensive. Shenton might be similar, Markworth and Webster also but hopefully they prove better than that. There's a limit to how many of these undistinguished players we can fit into an AFL side.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dunell could be anything- he's a utility but probably not super star but handy contributor would do. He looks pretty good at times but needs to have a break out game as he's not young and will need to get a move on if he's going to make it.