Play the Long Game, it's our only option.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

Play the Long Game, it's our only option.....

For me, tonights game painted a very clear picture of not only our current plight but also what we need to do to turn this ship around.

Tonight highlighted just how many years of pain we are in for and just how far we have fallen. It also highlighted the HUGE gap in leadership between the two teams

Given all that, in my view there is NO reason AT ALL to take a short term view with drafting, trading etc.

At the end of this year Phase 1 of the Long Term view looks like this:
* Retirements of Lenny, Milney, Kosi, Blake
* Delistings of CJ, Siposs, Ledger and Milera
* Trading of Dal, Fisher for whatever we can get - draft picks or young kids

WE SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT DRAFT ANYONE OVER 23 YEARS OLD. No point trading for or picking up a 25-26 year old unless they are elite.

You might ask why I dont think we should try and get a gun in Free Agency - well, truth is, and it hurts to say NO PLAYER IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO COME ACROSS TO THE SAINTS in our current world of hurt.

And when we go to the draft, its not just about talent but recruiting kids with great talent but also LEADERSHIP attributes and VALUES and GOOD ATTITUDE. When things turn for us in a few years, and they will in time, it will be the Leadership qualities of the next generation who will lead us back to success.

I just hope that our club has the wisdom and courage to take a Long Term view

If not, watch the Richmond doco on Foxtel tomorrow night to see what 30 years of a short term view looks like.

Keep the Faith
Fortius Quo Fidelus

Go Saints

SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: Play the Long Game, it's our only option.....

Can agree with most of that
But i see no sence in de listing siposs or ledger. No sense at all. They need another 1-2 years in the systems and we have plenty of room on our list to keep them above older players

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not allowed to suggest Lenny makes way...

Seriously though, that would be on the extreme end of managing this list, but not out of the question

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

One Eyed Saint wrote:For me, tonights game painted a very clear picture of not only our current plight but also what we need to do to turn this ship around.

Tonight highlighted just how many years of pain we are in for and just how far we have fallen. It also highlighted the HUGE gap in leadership between the two teams

Given all that, in my view there is NO reason AT ALL to take a short term view with drafting, trading etc.

At the end of this year Phase 1 of the Long Term view looks like this:
* Retirements of Lenny, Milney, Kosi, Blake
* Delistings of CJ, Siposs, Ledger and Milera
* Trading of Dal, Fisher for whatever we can get - draft picks or young kids

WE SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT DRAFT ANYONE OVER 23 YEARS OLD. No point trading for or picking up a 25-26 year old unless they are elite.

You might ask why I dont think we should try and get a gun in Free Agency - well, truth is, and it hurts to say NO PLAYER IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO COME ACROSS TO THE SAINTS in our current world of hurt.

And when we go to the draft, its not just about talent but recruiting kids with great talent but also LEADERSHIP attributes and VALUES and GOOD ATTITUDE. When things turn for us in a few years, and they will in time, it will be the Leadership qualities of the next generation who will lead us back to success.

I just hope that our club has the wisdom and courage to take a Long Term view

If not, watch the Richmond doco on Foxtel tomorrow night to see what 30 years of a short term view looks like.

Keep the Faith
Fortius Quo Fidelus

Go Saints

You do realise if we did all that our last 3 picks would be in the hundreds. What is the point of that. And i would still keep Lenny if he wants to play.