This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

southernsaint
Club Player

Re: Sign up Watters to 2016

In most games this year the players have had a crack. To me that means the players are playing for their coach, which at this stage during our developement period is a tick for watters. He is good in the media and is the face of our club and despite the teams record this year the media has pretty much left us be. Another big tick. What more do members want? And i hope all the chicken littles on this forum are paid up because if your not S.T.F.U.

supersaints
Club Player

Watters is learning the job , just like players do.
Coaches take about three seasons to find their feet, unless they walk into a top side. (I remember Percy Jones getting Carlton into a grand final and he couldn't string a sentence together)
In the past I've seen us dump coaches just when they seem to be getting their gameplan and team functioning how they want. Watters needs some time just like the players we are blooding.
Wonder if the Blues think Malthouse is a dud? He is doing at least as bad if not worse than Ratten.Malthouse is a proven coach ( though I don't like him as a person) possibly overrated but he has won flags. Look at Sheedy with GWS , looks like he may have his first winless season .
We need to see what eventuates and hold tight. I was one of the many posters who was wondering if Lyon could coach in his first two seasons. ( glady admit I was wrong) but i recall many calling for his blood
Lets face it he had a much, much better list than Watters has at present
Personally I think Watters may turn out to be a good coach, if the Board and Pelchin back him that's good enough for me
We need stability during the next three seasons or so.
I remain optimistic that he is the right person for the job.
Then again we could pull another master stroke and sound out Malcom Blight !

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I agree to at least let him see out his contract and judge any extension on the improvement of the playing list

That doesn't mean we have to be winning a minimum number of more games, but to see continued improvement in the young players. If we see that, definitely offer him an extension. A revolving door of coaches isn't going to help.

It's going to be a LONG rebuild and I don't think there is a coach out there who can get us playing finals by 2015. Lyon sure didn't want the gig. Unless we adopted the Sydney 2007 to 2010 model, which is to keep recruiting a steady crop of B grade experience.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
derby Street
Club Player

oh when the wrote:my backside has sat through more than a thousand saints games
i will say on this forum what i think is wrong with the club

not what you want to hear
Wow you must be old - I thought you must have been a Grade 6 kid writing crap like that !

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

He gets a big tick IMO for the players he has successfully introduced this year. If he does a similar job next year and we are still bottom four - which I suspect we will be - then I will still be happy with his achievements to that point.

Most astute followers of our club will be able to judge him objectively in that manner I think. Hopefully we see good progress on bring in our next key back players next season which clearly he has a plan to. Some mid prospects will be nice too.

oh when the
Club Player

old enough to know why we have under achieved in our 140 yrs
not crap

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

MADNESS!!! I'm a little disturbed about rumors that Watter's contract is to be extended. He has a contract to the end of next year. For the record IMO the jury is out on Watters, we'll have more of an idea at the end of his contract. So why on earth would we extend his contract, particularly when the club chose to deny Lyon (who had more than earned his stripes) the same courtesy early in 2011??? Give me a break! Is the club trying to show it has learned its lesson? Please spare us anymore spectacular c**k ups.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

oh when the wrote:old enough to know why we have under achieved in our 140 yrs
not crap
still writing motherhood statements.

Not one fact to back up your ignorant and incredibly lowbrow rant.

Waiting....

credibility => window :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:MADNESS!!! I'm a little disturbed about rumors that Watter's contract is to be extended. He has a contract to the end of next year. For the record IMO the jury is out on Watters, we'll have more of an idea at the end of his contract. So why on earth would we extend his contract, particularly when the club chose to deny Lyon (who had more than earned his stripes) the same courtesy early in 2011??? Give me a break! Is the club trying to show it has learned its lesson? Please spare us anymore spectacular c**k ups.
again who do we replace him with and what benefit will that give us? how has swapping coaches helped Melbourne or carlscum? Please lets not become a basket case. We're struggling due to a few reasons but we can still hold some respect as a organized club that doesn't jump at shadows.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don get how it makes a club more stable.

It's just one guy of many...some with way more power and influence than him.

Worry about locking down a fair dinkum CEO and pres first.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
Moorabbin Man wrote:MADNESS!!! I'm a little disturbed about rumors that Watter's contract is to be extended. He has a contract to the end of next year. For the record IMO the jury is out on Watters, we'll have more of an idea at the end of his contract. So why on earth would we extend his contract, particularly when the club chose to deny Lyon (who had more than earned his stripes) the same courtesy early in 2011??? Give me a break! Is the club trying to show it has learned its lesson? Please spare us anymore spectacular c**k ups.
again who do we replace him with and what benefit will that give us? how has swapping coaches helped Melbourne or carlscum? Please lets not become a basket case. We're struggling due to a few reasons but we can still hold some respect as a organized club that doesn't jump at shadows.
I didn't say Watters should be sacked, I said he has a contract until the end of next season so why should we extend it NOW. In regard to who he would be replaced by if he fell short of expectations? Well the following may be available at the end of his contract:

Paul Roos, Alaister Clarkson, Mark Williams and John Worsfold to name a few.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I don get how it makes a club more stable.

It's just one guy of many...some with way more power and influence than him.

Worry about locking down a fair dinkum CEO and pres first.
Because the way management systems have historically worked in AFL clubs is that the coach is the management system and therefore the success of the club relies on one individual alone and obviously every time you change the coach you change the system and if the replacements are undertaken at regular frequencies then the systems don't get a chance to achieve the outputs and results they were set up for.

This looks like it is changing though and Geelong are probably a good (first) recent example of setting up a club were outputs and results are via a club-owned management system and individuals just fill the positions in the system. Essentially top-down management from the board.

Hypothetically when the board sit down and review Scott Watters contract and conclude that he has ticked most of the boxes but there are some areas of performance that could do with some improvement then the club should have a system that helps the coach with trying to achieve those required improvements. And hopefully that is how SW is contracted and hopefully he is working in a system something like that. The days of coaches thinking they are the top dog have to be gone. Coaches have to subscribe to a continuous improvement model for themselves as well as club and players. I actually think that SW is a keen learner and doesn't have too big an ego that he wont develop and improve himself along the journey.

arpstk
Club Player

Unproven coach so he must prove himself first...If we have a good year next year he stays simple as that...the team has played well in games this year without getting the result but many more hidings like last night (and I know it was Geelong at Geelong) and the coach should put his own hand up to go!