The thrashing we had to have?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

The thrashing we had to have?

Just trying to put a positive spin on a disappointing night.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: The thrashing we had to have?

SydneySainter wrote:Just trying to put a positive spin on a disappointing night.
Why did we have to cop a thrashing? :?

[quote="8856brother"][quote="SydneySainter"]Just trying to put a positive spin on a disappointing night.[/quote]
Why did we have to cop a thrashing? :?[/quote]
Because we've been "VERY naughty boys!" :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I guess a thrashing was on the cards, but a 101 point loss seemed a little excessive. First time we'd suffered a 100+ point loss since 2002. Same venue to the same pack of cockeyed, bucktoothed, sheepshagging inbreeds. f***, I hate Geelong.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

It was always on the cards, although the final margin was disappointing. There'll be a few more of those over the next couple of years. I just hope defeats of this magnitude don't crush the younger players' confidence. Just look at what regular beatings have done to Melbourne.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:It was always on the cards, although the final margin was disappointing. There'll be a few more of those over the next couple of years. I just hope defeats of this magnitude don't crush the younger players' confidence. Just look at what regular beatings have done to Melbourne.
true WW on the confidence, but i think our young guns of 01-02-03 took it well considering what they dished up to the first 10 teams of 04.

the not kicking a goal from the 2nd was a massive disappointment for me. But our team is really in disarray due to injury atm. This why i am not being critical of anyone anymore.. in the press conference, Watters was asked about Stanley he clearly said he's in defense as we have no other options atm (he see's him as a forward). I just hope we can pick up a decent defender this trade/draft period.

What about the BUll Murdoch? Can he play CHB or FB? (even as a filler)

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I just hope defeats of this magnitude don't crush the younger players' confidence. Just look at what regular beatings have done to Melbourne.
The encouraging thing is we're generally pretty competetive against teams that aren't around the top 4. Hopefully this pattern is maintained throughout this supposed rebuild. Don't mind getting the odd thrashing against a quality team, as long as the players are learning something from it. On the other hand, getting our arse handed to us on a platter by teams such as Brisbane (next week) could be quite demoralising and damaging to the developing players' psyche.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I don't subscribe to the theory that we "Have to Have" thrashings. I expect there will be more thrashings over the next 12 months or so. They are NEVER palatable and we need to stay well away from 100+ point thrashings !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I was uneasy in the pregame "saints have been competitive" they were saying...better than their three wins.

Dunno, I just got this feeling of foreboding that they'd jinxed us...and what were the chances we'd get spanked.

Seemed mental. Newnes, Lee and Saunders played well early...but as soon as that run came on, they saw their chance slip and played accordingly.

Said last week our defence hash got enough credit this year, Over the last fortnight it's suffered for Gears Robbo and Gwilt being injured. No rebound.

Wright should of in hindsight come in to replace Robbo.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's the constant pressure. As it increases, the opposition gets a bit better and our intensity drops away a little further. Guys like Stanley don't have the experience and can't cope in the backline. Add in a Gwilt injury and things get worse, as we saw.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we could do with a few more.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Our oldies were ok, but our kids were dreadful.

Was inevitable that we would have a game when so many would go missing.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
philtee
Club Player

Would have liked to have seen the Saints go man-on-man as the margin escalated. At some point you
have to say "stop the free-flowing run-on stuff" because Geelong's excellent pressure just forced
turnovers. Man on man would not have won the game, but it would have slowed Geelong's
effortless midfield run and their scoring opportunities.
Having Riewoldt lame, Gwilt proppy, Stanley in a muddle, Sipposs disinterested, Steven not hitting targets,
meant the Saints could not match it with the Cats when they went up a gear after qtr time.

Playon
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I just hope defeats of this magnitude don't crush the younger players' confidence. Just look at what regular beatings have done to Melbourne.
The encouraging thing is we're generally pretty competetive against teams that aren't around the top 4. Hopefully this pattern is maintained throughout this supposed rebuild. Don't mind getting the odd thrashing against a quality team, as long as the players are learning something from it. On the other hand, getting our arse handed to us on a platter by teams such as Brisbane (next week) could be quite demoralising and damaging to the developing players' psyche.
To be honest I cant see what they could learn from that game. its probably best to move on forget about it and try and find some positives elsewhere. Set the bar a little lower and take one step at a time etc etc.

darylcowie
Club Player

Positives from last night's thrashing, Casey Tataungi's (spelling?) family will be a little better off financially than they were after his life-changing accident, which puts footy firmly into perspective!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
Greg T
Club Player

100 point thrashing s should have been a thing well and truly of the past.
Lets hope that it was only a one off.
Only GWS or Melb should cop these .
It was plain embarrassing and we should move on pretty quick.
Losses like these will set the club back to the Stone Age .
Members to sponsors etc,we can ill afford that

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
White Winmar wrote:It was always on the cards, although the final margin was disappointing. There'll be a few more of those over the next couple of years. I just hope defeats of this magnitude don't crush the younger players' confidence. Just look at what regular beatings have done to Melbourne.
true WW on the confidence, but i think our young guns of 01-02-03 took it well considering what they dished up to the first 10 teams of 04.

the not kicking a goal from the 2nd was a massive disappointment for me. But our team is really in disarray due to injury atm. This why i am not being critical of anyone anymore.. in the press conference, Watters was asked about Stanley he clearly said he's in defense as we have no other options atm (he see's him as a forward). I just hope we can pick up a decent defender this trade/draft period.

What about the BUll Murdoch? Can he play CHB or FB? (even as a filler)
I think we need more than one decent defender. Try a handful.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
To be honest I cant see what they could learn from that game. its probably best to move on forget about it and try and find some positives elsewhere. Set the bar a little lower and take one step at a time etc etc.
I'm sure there'll be plenty of things for the players to reflect on where and what they did wrong though. With things like video analysis in professional sports these days, it'll be difficult for them to avoid last night's game altogether. It's also unlikely the coaching panel will be saying "okay boys, let's just forget everything about the last game" over the course of the week.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I think we are still two years away from completly bottoming out yet unless Pelchen and co is a genius,then it will take X many years to rebound. So get used to the thrashings...the silver lining,we'll probably be the first side to challenge the two expansion clubs era of dominance at the end of the decade,unless we F*** up all our top 10 picks like Melbourne have

Bring back the Lockett era
spert
Saintsational Legend

No matter what excuses are put up, the effort or lack of by so many players against Geelong was unacceptable..it was a give-up effort and made me sad to watch it. As far as I'm concerned, the coach, fitness dept and many players should be getting the finger pointed at them this week by the board. Even worse is the fact that Sandy got clobbered- no real hope for the future after that combined effort of rubbish.

#gosaintas
Club Player

One thing for sure is the next 3-4 years are will be great pickings in the draft and we will be in pole position to take advantage of it. We will also have all our senior players retiring over that time so salary cap space won't be an issue either. We will be a force again pretty quickly if we don't stuff it up. Melbourne have shown us how not to do it. We have had a good run, albeit without the flags, so a few years picking up great players and then another run at it. Sounds good to me.

I like our board, the coach seems to be ok for a rebuild type, the NZ experiment is the right thing for where we are at financially, our senior retirements look like they will be staggered so the kids get some role models - I like it. Better than hanging around in 10th with no hope.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Anyone watch the Ch7 game yesterday, I cN't even say which onr

Joey was on as commentator apparently, and said it was the first 100 pt loss he had been involved in at the club

Atleast no player from the club who played on the weekend will feel left out with Sandringham alsi goibg down by over 100

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Did Joey play at Kardinia Park for round 4 2002 When we were done by 122? I know that Dal played (possibly his debut?)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

To me we need more than one tall defender. Surely someone like Rodda would be worth a go? He is a huge unit and couldn't hurt surely. Then go after one of the GWS tall backmen- Silvagni has over done them with tall backs.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:To me we need more than one tall defender. Surely someone like Rodda would be worth a go? He is a huge unit and couldn't hurt surely. Then go after one of the GWS tall backmen- Silvagni has over done them with tall backs.

How many players should we delist then?