No.1 Pick - Tom Boyd

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

No.1 Pick - Tom Boyd

There's a story on the AFL website about what each club could trade for pick one and their chances. They rate St Kilda a good chance if they have the will power to do the deal (Pick 3 & McEvoy in return for picks 1 & 10). Here is their assessment:

"ST KILDA
The Saints' only currency if they deal for Tom Boyd is ruckman Ben McEvoy. Greater Western Sydney needs a ruckman, and McEvoy, 24, fits their age profile nicely. A top-10 draft pick, he is highly rated by the Saints and is about to come into his own. The Saints could package McEvoy with their first pick (likely to be No.3) for pick No.1 and the Giants' mid first-round compensation pick (No.10). Tom Hickey, who has played eight games this season, would become the club's No.1 ruckman, getting the opportunity he needs to reach his potential.
What are the chances?
The Saints should move heaven and earth to get the No.1 pick and they are in a good position to do so, as they'll likely have the third pick to deal with. However, it depends on what mature talent they're ready to part with. McEvoy is seen as a key part of the club's future, so it may be unlikely he heads north. If it doesn't happen, Saints fans can look forward to welcoming one of James Aish, Matt Scharenberg, Josh Kelly or Jack Billings to Seaford. - Nathan Schmook"

IMO it's a no brainer for us to go for it.

Richter
SS Life Member

Re: No.1 Pick - Tom Boyd

Moorabbin Man wrote:There's a story on the AFL website about what each club could trade for pick one and their chances. They rate St Kilda a good chance if they have the will power to do the deal (Pick 3 & McEvoy in return for picks 1 & 10). Here is their assessment:

"ST KILDA
The Saints' only currency if they deal for Tom Boyd is ruckman Ben McEvoy. Greater Western Sydney needs a ruckman, and McEvoy, 24, fits their age profile nicely. A top-10 draft pick, he is highly rated by the Saints and is about to come into his own. The Saints could package McEvoy with their first pick (likely to be No.3) for pick No.1 and the Giants' mid first-round compensation pick (No.10). Tom Hickey, who has played eight games this season, would become the club's No.1 ruckman, getting the opportunity he needs to reach his potential.
What are the chances?
The Saints should move heaven and earth to get the No.1 pick and they are in a good position to do so, as they'll likely have the third pick to deal with. However, it depends on what mature talent they're ready to part with. McEvoy is seen as a key part of the club's future, so it may be unlikely he heads north. If it doesn't happen, Saints fans can look forward to welcoming one of James Aish, Matt Scharenberg, Josh Kelly or Jack Billings to Seaford. - Nathan Schmook"

IMO it's a no brainer for us to go for it.
Even if that deal were on offer... then basically it comes down to big Mac and possibly elite mid vs possibly elite KPP and probable decent mid.

Big Mac isn't a possible or a probable, he's a certainly decent (and possibly to become elite) ruckman who is being groomed as a future captain of the club. Too much to give up IMO.

If we're desperate to take a risk then better to give up a 2nd round on Dayle Garlett than this.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Even if the Saints want that deal, McEvoy would have to want to play at the Giants and I can't see that being the case. Reckon there's a 99% chance the Big Boy will be at the Saints next year and we should be glad to have him.

suss
Club Player

Someone on here suggested this trade a few weeks ago.

*cough*

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:Even if the Saints want that deal, McEvoy would have to want to play at the Giants and I can't see that being the case. Reckon there's a 99% chance the Big Boy will be at the Saints next year and we should be glad to have him.

While I agree with your post #GILL please dont call McEvoy Big Boy. That is the most pathetic and ridiculous nickname given to a player by that arch flog BT.

Because it rhymes with McEvoy he thinks he is a genius :roll:

Just like how the Aussie cricketers dont bump fists and only shake hands, please dont fall for this commercial populous line of Taylor.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:Someone on here suggested this trade a few weeks ago.

*cough*

It was silly then and its silly now. we have one of the best forwards of all time and he cant get enough of the ball up forward to really make an impact on the scoreboard. Take Hayes out and Dal and Joey getting older and I reckon boyd wont have an impact for years. The game is a midfield game now. Lets get a possible champion mid to replace of chmapions. And we lose our best ruckman as well.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: It was silly then and its silly now. we have one of the best forwards of all time and he cant get enough of the ball up forward to really make an impact on the scoreboard. Take Hayes out and Dal and Joey getting older and I reckon boyd wont have an impact for years. The game is a midfield game now. Lets get a possible champion mid to replace of chmapions. And we lose our best ruckman as well.
Forget all that common sense stuff and make it happen.

I just wanna use my slogan "Play That Funky Football White, Boyd" :P

Kiedis
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
#1GILL wrote:Even if the Saints want that deal, McEvoy would have to want to play at the Giants and I can't see that being the case. Reckon there's a 99% chance the Big Boy will be at the Saints next year and we should be glad to have him.

While I agree with your post #GILL please dont call McEvoy Big Boy. That is the most pathetic and ridiculous nickname given to a player by that arch flog BT.

Because it rhymes with McEvoy he thinks he is a genius :roll:

Just like how the Aussie cricketers dont bump fists and only shake hands, please dont fall for this commercial populous line of Taylor.
Meh, nicknames generally are stupid as all hell/a joke to begin with. Is the Owl any better? Like it or not everyone calls him Big Boy McEvoy, teammates included.. I don't see the issue with it.

Certainly rolls off the tongue lol.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would do it. Mc Evoy is a potential star but isn't there. 3 and Mc Evoy for 1 and 10 is a great deal for both we get Boyd and an elite mid- I think the Tiges might have got Vlastuin around that pick 10. We get two good prospects for an okay ruckman and a speculative pick.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I would do it. Mc Evoy is a potential star but isn't there. 3 and Mc Evoy for 1 and 10 is a great deal for both we get Boyd and an elite mid- I think the Tiges might have got Vlastuin around that pick 10. We get two good prospects for an okay ruckman and a speculative pick.

Amazing what people can do with words. We get 2 good prospects, one being pick 10 for an ok ruckman, that you say is a potential star, and a speculative pick which is pick 3. So pick 3 is speculative but pick 10 is a good prospect. Ok.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I would do it. Mc Evoy is a potential star but isn't there. 3 and Mc Evoy for 1 and 10 is a great deal for both we get Boyd and an elite mid- I think the Tiges might have got Vlastuin around that pick 10. We get two good prospects for an okay ruckman and a speculative pick.

Amazing what people can do with words. We get 2 good prospects, one being pick 10 for an ok ruckman, that you say is a potential star, and a speculative pick which is pick 3. So pick 3 is speculative but pick 10 is a good prospect. Ok.

Got to spin it somehow. I guess I should have said we get the risk spread over two top 10 picks. We would have been pretty unhappy if we got kosi and no Rooey so spreading the risk over two players works for me. Mac evoy doesn't do any more than Hickey at this stage and we will still have a potentially good ruckman for when we start challenging again. Lewis Pierce looks the good to me as a second stringer back up and Rhys can do the rest.

PJ
SS Life Member

Look we need 22 mids and Boyd - don't care which or who comes first but you'd want to know someone is on the horizon next year or in the near future.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Got to spin it somehow. I guess I should have said we get the risk spread over two top 10 picks. We would have been pretty unhappy if we got kosi and no Rooey so spreading the risk over two players works for me. Mac evoy doesn't do any more than Hickey at this stage and we will still have a potentially good ruckman for when we start challenging again. Lewis Pierce looks the good to me as a second stringer back up and Rhys can do the rest.

Ben does a hell of a lot more than Hickey now. he has been in our best probably 5 times this year compared to Hickey none but so he should . he has been at the club for around 6 years. Also how would we have got Kosi and no rooy. Again you are spinning words. it may have been the other way around but it isnt really relevant as they are picks one and two not one and ten. Peirce may end uop a star but he aint playing AFL footy next year baring a fair few injuries.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would rather use 3 to have go for Paton, who is getting over a knee reconstruction at the moment . He has had a couple of years in the AFL now, which to my mind puts him ahead of Boyd. I would'nt mind trading for pick 10 though

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I would do it. Mc Evoy is a potential star but isn't there. 3 and Mc Evoy for 1 and 10 is a great deal for both we get Boyd and an elite mid- I think the Tiges might have got Vlastuin around that pick 10. We get two good prospects for an okay ruckman and a speculative pick.

Ben does a hell of a lot more than Hickey now. he has been in our best probably 5 times this year compared to Hickey none but so he should . he has been at the club for around 6 years. Also how would we have got Kosi and no rooy. Again you are spinning words. it may have been the other way around but it isnt really relevant as they are picks one and two not one and ten. Peirce may end uop a star but he aint playing AFL footy next year baring a fair few injuries.[/quote]

Name the 5 games this year. I say 2 carlton and port only

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Ben does a hell of a lot more than Hickey now. he has been in our best probably 5 times this year compared to Hickey none but so he should . he has been at the club for around 6 years. Also how would we have got Kosi and no rooy. Again you are spinning words. it may have been the other way around but it isnt really relevant as they are picks one and two not one and ten. Peirce may end uop a star but he aint playing AFL footy next year baring a fair few injuries.

Name the 5 games this year. I say 2 carlton and port only[/quote]

I dont.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

So??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:So??

Needle. Thread.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I know it's like 1million to 1 but it would be good if we struck a deal for pick 1 without losing pick 3.

PJ
SS Life Member

Don't know what deal can struck but we've gotta start getting past the emotional attachment to players. We can't keep players because they are going OK if there is the possibility of getting better. Boyd may or may not end up being better than Macca but someone's got to roll the dice at some point. Even keeping Ben is no guarantee of St.Kilda success.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

PJ wrote:Don't know what deal can struck but we've gotta start getting past the emotional attachment to players. We can't keep players because they are going OK if there is the possibility of getting better. Boyd may or may not end up being better than Macca but someone's got to roll the dice at some point. Even keeping Ben is no guarantee of St.Kilda success.
+1

PADDLEPOP1000
gringo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Don't know what deal can struck but we've gotta start getting past the emotional attachment to players. We can't keep players because they are going OK if there is the possibility of getting better. Boyd may or may not end up being better than Macca but someone's got to roll the dice at some point. Even keeping Ben is no guarantee of St.Kilda success.

Thats how I feel too. We need to get some talent in quickly- sacrifice now for the future.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Give up your ruckman to move two places up the pecking order. Forget it. Why don't we give up pick 21 and Jack Steven so we can pick up pick 19?

it's just nonsense

stkfc1
Club Player

I figure there may be a chance Boyd might still be there at pick 3 anyway. GWS already have Cameron and Patton. Add Buddy and Boyd isnt required. The Dees have Clarke and Jess Hogan joining them next year , with Dawes as backup. There priority would be to add some class to their midfield. He may slip through to us without giving up anything.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:Give up your ruckman to move two places up the pecking order. Forget it. Why don't we give up pick 21 and Jack Steven so we can pick up pick 19?

it's just nonsense

Steven is the only player that I wouldn't trade.