Lets Be Honest! Its the coaching.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Lets Be Honest! Its the coaching.

BigMart wrote:He has not coached well in 2013.

Of course P66 smart arse comment would be expected, but really.... I bet no one had us in this situation pre season.... Our list is more capable than the record.... We have senior players and some ok other players....

We are about a 6/12-8/10 team.... Not a finals team, but NOT 3/15 and hideous.

But he might have a better 2014
So what exactly is going wrong here?

To me this is the period to develop children asap and not worry too much about the results.

However the point remains, the kids become men and they have a poor coach to deal with?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Where on earth is the evidence that he's a poor coach?

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

tweedaletomanning wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Well something's gone seriously wrong. Just 2 years ago our structures and ability to create and win contests made us one of the most, if not the most feared team in the competition. The one no one wanted to play. Now they're lining up. Seriously, watching spuds like Hanley strolling into open goals, 20 metres in the clear, is symptomatic of what's wrong. Very little structure, very little effort, poor skills, pathetic fitness levels. Who is to blame? The players? The coaches? Both? One thing's for sure, we've fallen to unacceptably low level, with an unacceptable level of haste.
I blame that knucklehead nettlefold.

Since he started running things, it's all gone downhill.

Not worth $8k a year let alone $800k.

Stuffing things up with sandy too I hear.

Yep! I just don't like him.
Agreed, the second highest paid CEO in the league, which possibly puts him on a higher salary than Brian Cook (Geelong)!!!! That alone is a problem, but he also presided over some spectacular c**k ups, his shabby treatment of Lyon and his eventual departure being the main one. Also, the insipid handling of the Duthie affair. He has got to go and the Board needs to be looked at as well.

St.Roly
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:How many times this season when we are getting done be it by a few or by many the camera flashes to the coaches box and scotty has the phone to his ear but just looks blank...almost vacant. No talking no nothing. Doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence for game day tactics...
And although this may sound anecdotal I have seen it a number of times this season
I really don't think this is much of a criteria to judge a coach by - even if it just influences your level of confidence.

As an example, I reckon both the Scott twins (the Krays) are relatively stoic in the box (with the exception of complaining about umpiring decisions...)

twirlyhair
Club Player

Just wondering if someone could explain the defensive mechanisms that we currently have in place. And don't talk about personal....talk about tactics, processes and style.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Well something's gone seriously wrong. Just 2 years ago our structures and ability to create and win contests made us one of the most, if not the most feared team in the competition. The one no one wanted to play. Now they're lining up. Seriously, watching spuds like Hanley strolling into open goals, 20 metres in the clear, is symptomatic of what's wrong. Very little structure, very little effort, poor skills, pathetic fitness levels. Who is to blame? The players? The coaches? Both? One thing's for sure, we've fallen to unacceptably low level, with an unacceptable level of haste.

The thing that has gone seriously wrong (besides a significant injury list) is that those structures are now being executed by first and second year kids. And if you reckon Hanley is a spud, then you shouldn't be allowed on the interwebs.

Seriously, I put a couple of posts up in a thread a week or two back that showed the average games played for our team and the impact it had to take two or three veterans out of that list. We have just about the youngest list in the league, but that fact is masked by the presence of a couple of guys in their twilight. People see GWS getting flogged and go "wow, they'll be awesome once those kids get to fifty games", but expect totally different outcomes from a team that at one stage had 5 kids in it that had less than 10 games each !!
Let's see how good Hanley is when he starts to attract more opposition attention. Outside/front runner at best. Don't be fooled by his pace. Not much else in the package.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Midfield
McEvoy 24, Hayes 33, Dal 29, Steven 23, Armitage 25, Montagna 29, Ray 27,

Defenders
Dempster 29, Roberton 22, Dunnell 22, Geary 25

Riewoldt 30, Milne 33, Saad 23, Stanley 23, Lee 22

Are we really that young, it may come as a surprise that we have young players.... But we are not Melbourne, GWS, Bulldogs or GC.... Who are actual young sides.... I would think Port, Bris, Rich are as young too?
Isn't it about games played not about birth certificates?

Four of the guys you mentioned there have played fewer than 50 games, two have played less than 10 - Lee and Dunell. How can they not be considered "young" in footballing terms?

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Dal and Monty are durable guys. I'd say they could get another 2-3 years easily.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

twirlyhair wrote:Just wondering if someone could explain the defensive mechanisms that we currently have in place. And don't talk about personal....talk about tactics, processes and style.
I tell you what, you explain the defensive mechanisms under Lyon -
I bet you a box full of coldies that you say we now do the "exact" opposite.

Seeya
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Where on earth is the evidence that he's a poor coach?

Good question. What I don't understand with the "sack the coach" brigade is that they are willing to accept that the club will be at the bottom of the ladder for next few years because where the player list is at yet somehow that is Scott Watters fault. Remarkable considering the excellent progress he has already achieved with rebuilding the list. In terms of having a coach that can rebuild a list we couldn't have a better guy in charge and although he may have made some errors in some supporters eyes overall he should be given a few more years to finish off building the list.

What would be the point of having a high priced coach who's strength is game planning and match day tactics when he doesn't have a list that can execute it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:

Good question. What I don't understand with the "sack the coach" brigade is that they are willing to accept that the club will be at the bottom of the ladder for next few years because where the player list is at yet somehow that is Scott Watters fault. Remarkable considering the excellent progress he has already achieved with rebuilding the list. In terms of having a coach that can rebuild a list we couldn't have a better guy in charge and although he may have made some errors in some supporters eyes overall he should be given a few more years to finish off building the list.

What would be the point of having a high priced coach who's strength is game planning and match day tactics when he doesn't have a list that can execute it.

I certainly dont want him sacked but I also dont want him to get an extention on his contract until about this time next year. I would love you to explain how you know he is the best person to be in charge of rebuilding our list.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

I certainly dont want him sacked but I also dont want him to get an extention on his contract until about this time next year. I would love you to explain how you know he is the best person to be in charge of rebuilding our list.
Just make a list of all the players that he has successfully introduced into the team in the past 2 years. By successful I mean the players that have mostly kept their spot since being introduced or players that you could say look like they will be keepers. Also add to that list any existing players that have improved while he has been coach. It's impressive if you ask me and I'm hoping that he makes the same progress next year because that will probably mean by 2015 we will have something to be excited about.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Just make a list of all the players that he has successfully introduced into the team in the past 2 years. By successful I mean the players that have mostly kept their spot since being introduced or players that you could say look like they will be keepers. Also add to that list any existing players that have improved while he has been coach. It's impressive if you ask me and I'm hoping that he makes the same progress next year because that will probably mean by 2015 we will have something to be excited about.

Very interesting. We have won 3 games and all that has happened. if what you say is true then he must be actually a poor coach on match day.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Very interesting. We have won 3 games and all that has happened. if what you say is true then he must be actually a poor coach on match day.

you're not a list person are you.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

you're not a list person are you.

No I dont do lists. Im interested in why we are likely to have lost 9 more games than last year if what you say is true.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

No I dont do lists. Im interested in why we are likely to have lost 9 more games than last year if what you say is true.
Do you just like acting dumb just to draw an argument or do you genuinely not know the reasons? Is it because you just didn't see it coming and predicted we'd win more games this year and so are sh1tty with the coach because he has made your prediction for wins look a little silly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Do you just like acting dumb just to draw an argument or do you genuinely not know the reasons? Is it because you just didn't see it coming and predicted we'd win more games this year and so are sh1tty with the coach because he has made your prediction for wins look a little silly.

The comedy is still coming. You again say some silly generalisation and I then say he must be a poor match day coach if what you said was true. We are likely to lose 9 more games this year. How can players be improving so much under SW for that to happen. Comical.

Once you get on a topic about certain things no proof that you maybe wrong will change your mind.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The comedy is still coming. You again say some silly generalisation and I then say he must be a poor match day coach if what you said was true. We are likely to lose 9 more games this year. How can players be improving so much under SW for that to happen. Comical.

Once you get on a topic about certain things no proof that you maybe wrong will change your mind.
If you say that again in english I might be able to understand it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I thought id try that idea because you never answer anything in English.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I thought id try that idea because you never answer anything in English.
You're drunk!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I thought id try that idea because you never answer anything in English.
You're drunk!

No drinking today.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
You're drunk!

No drinking today.
Scott Watters is going ok.

andrewg
Club Player

Do we want to win?

We won't kne he good waters is till 2016. Stability on and off the field s the key to success. Must stick with Watters, he will be okay. The young kids like home, he seems to be a good manager of people....not sure 2013 is the best team to judge him on.

Greg T
Club Player

Very interesting. We have won 3 games and all that has happened. if what you say is true then he must be actually a poor coach on match day

Well P 66'
That's spot on.....

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Some of u guys should really support Melbourne.

Fortius Quo Fidelius