We have some genuine leg speed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We have some genuine leg speed

It's been awhile.

It's not recycled, it's kids were developing ourselves.

We all love watching Jack burn off opponents, I'm really enjoying watching Saunders do the same.

I think all night he ran hard, forward of the play giving an option. I hope we start to honour his leads inside 50 more often, I think he is going to be great for us.

Nice to have a few jets buzzing around.

PJ
SS Life Member

Re: We have some genuine leg speed

Agree SK it was one of the pleasing signs last night.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Yep jack and Saunders are very fast. Saunders will be a good player for us I reckon. Minchington shows a bit too.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yep jack and Saunders are very fast. Saunders will be a good player for us I reckon. Minchington shows a bit too.
Agree. Mich showed some real class. Possibly the second most skilful newbie after the injured Wright.

Now let's hope the second year blues next season doesn't destroy them.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

saunders will be my boy when len goes i reckon K

jsut love him getting the pill and you could almost here him thinking 'f*** it im going!!' and he dashes off

love how he takes it on and will back himself
wont be long and he'll be behind steven as the best

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Love watching jack and saunders burn players off.

jack does it regularly and saunders was just so confident last night. he gets a metre from an opponent and just says no way this dude will catch me and he just takes off and goes the bounce. loved seeing him burn off hill last night.

nate wright also has some toe. really look forward to watching these 3 together at their peak. look out!

saint6709
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Love watching jack and saunders burn players off.

jack does it regularly and saunders was just so confident last night. he gets a metre from an opponent and just says no way this dude will catch me and he just takes off and goes the bounce. loved seeing him burn off hill last night.

nate wright also has some toe. really look forward to watching these 3 together at their peak. look out!
Agree - wright had some real dash when playing and Saunders really impressed me - jack been doing it for a while

I also liked currens run through the middle where he did everything right but just missed the shot

kos
Club Player

I reckon curren has good pace too. I've read many times on this site that he wasn't quick enough and had bad skills.

That info is rubbish, he Has great skills and has pace which makes him a more exiting prospect than I first imagined.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:I reckon curren has good pace too. I've read many times on this site that he wasn't quick enough and had bad skills.

That info is rubbish, he Has great skills and has pace which makes him a more exiting prospect than I first imagined.
I think he just improved a tad in the skills department when he stepped up the grade. Not dramatically mind you... Maybe hes just playing well within his limitations amd hence not spraying many, i dont know.

Either way, some players improve with the opportunity, some dont, and some we'll never know

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Agree re leg speed. Just need to get their disposal up to scratch now. All the guys mentioned are fast, but their kicking is a bit ordinary. A mixture of both would be fantastic. Enter our coaching staff.

Did we run down any of there guys ?

In red white and black from 73
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Wrighty is the rocket of the group too. Mr Pelican the magic warlock and his group of recruiting pixies called Elshaugh and Baines have ben searching out fleet of foot types me thinks. Saunders is going to be a very good player.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i saw michington, curran and saunders all hit roo with their kicks last night......something a lot of our more senior players have failed to do over the years..........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Wrighty is the rocket of the group too. Mr Pelican the magic warlock and his group of recruiting pixies called Elshaugh and Baines have ben searching out fleet of foot types me thinks. Saunders is going to be a very good player.
Elshaugh has done very well at the draft- but im not convinced about the 'magic warlock'
He dodged a bullet with mitch brown and saad and milera arent world beaters for us. So he aint the genius people paint him as.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
gringo wrote:Wrighty is the rocket of the group too. Mr Pelican the magic warlock and his group of recruiting pixies called Elshaugh and Baines have ben searching out fleet of foot types me thinks. Saunders is going to be a very good player.
Elshaugh has done very well at the draft- but im not convinced about the 'magic warlock'
He dodged a bullet with mitch brown and saad and milera arent world beaters for us. So he aint the genius people paint him as.

Pelchen is still more a list manager and director of the footy department so maybe more to blame for the Goddard and Dawson and the sackings of Gram, Raph, Polo, Peake etc. I'm sure he is directing them to look for traits in players though.

I was hearing WCE on the radio today saying how good Mitch Brown had been especially against Bellchambers and Ryder and how he'd been good all day- he even held up one of the small forwards who was going towards goal. Maybe he knows more than we do about his potential. Saad and Milera were pick downgrades and probably didn't even stop us taking the players we had earmarked.

No one even knows what we offered for Brown but it's unlikely we offered up what was claimed or WC were mentally challenged not to take the deal.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:Did we run down any of there guys ?
There was a good one in the last quarter where Newnes ran down Hill and wrapped him up in a great tackle. It surprised me that Newnes had the pace to catch him.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Markworth is supposed to be quick as well - lets hope he hasnt lost any of his pace after the knee reco

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
So he aint the genius people paint him as.
I think that you may have have failed to appreciate his strategy to date.

It is not about getting EVERY pick right. It has been to:
1/magnify the numbers of new players that we have so that we can churn and sift through them in order to finally get the players we need
2/to target the type of players we need over a 3/4 year period
3/ to improve the age balance of our list

It has also NOT been about winning the flag this, or even next. If it had of been, then paying overs to keep him may have been a good idea. When you are really looking at 2015 and beyond paying overs for BJ for 2013-2015 does not make sense.

He took advantage of the Suns placing a low value on picks above the teens to accelerate tis.

While ANY drafter would love all their picks to work, it is not going to happen.

At the Hawks he certainly did not have a 100% success rate, but he greatly improved their team.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
and saad and milera arent world beaters for us..
And Saad and Milera cost us stuff all as we just moved down a few picks.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

100% true but it seems they will have no bearing on the clubs improvement. The funny thing is many have a go at RL for his trades but 3 of them have been very good for us and if dawson didnt leave that would be 4. 4 out of 22 suggests he or whoever traded for them got that right.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

100% true but it seems they will have no bearing on the clubs improvement. The funny thing is many have a go at RL for his trades but 3 of them have been very good for us and if dawson didnt leave that would be 4. 4 out of 22 suggests he or whoever traded for them got that right.

Milera has got a contract extension so who knows- even Saad couldn't have been foreseen. He may yet get a lighter penalty. Ross went too far that way with guys like Gamble, Polo and Peake all taking up spots and doing no real youth development. Finey said again the other day that Ross wasn't big on having anything to do with the VFL players.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The coach, whoever it is, should not be allowed anywhere near contracts recruitment trades or draft days
It only leads to disaster .

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Milera has got a contract extension so who knows- even Saad couldn't have been foreseen. He may yet get a lighter penalty. Ross went too far that way with guys like Gamble, Polo and Peake all taking up spots and doing no real youth development. Finey said again the other day that Ross wasn't big on having anything to do with the VFL players.

Alright lets quote Finey. he has also said he is the best coach in the AFL and out best coach clearly since jeans. And to be honest I have no idea how Finey would know that anyway. I might ask him next Saturday.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The coach, whoever it is, should not be allowed anywhere near contracts recruitment trades or draft days
It only leads to disaster .

He shouldnt have much to do with contract or drafting. Has to have a little to do with both though. He should have plenty to do with trades.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The funny thing is many have a go at RL for his trades but 3 of them have been very good for us and if dawson didnt leave that would be 4. 4 out of 22 suggests he or whoever traded for them got that right.
Well as you would know from my past posts, I am not one of them.

Personally I believe that one reason why RL was heavy trader, is because he had no faith in the recruiting team to draft good kids. The trades under RL were on the whole good. And as with any player assessment you look at the chort, and not just pick by pick. The talent gained for trades was good.

Zac was a good pick up, but a rookie from memory and not a trade.