Brown out of contract at years end

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Re: Brown out of contract at years end

I can't see Brown leaving, and even if he is willing, the Pies will play hardball. I think it's better for us to look for a diamond in the rough somewhere else.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Is Frawley any chance?
Very unlikley. Every interview he has he has said about wanting to stay a Demon. We can try to pry him loose but they will want way to much and it would probably be another Brown saga that wouldn't go anywhere and leave us no time to find anyone else. Besides since he is playing every week at a bottom 4 side already no real reason for him to leave unless we can offer him a stupid amount of money, which we shouldn't do.

IMHO if we try and look to clubs that have what we need in abundance, ie key backs not getting a run and midfielders that can win clearances, then eliminate the teams that will try to screw us prison style (Collingwood primarily) then we will be in a good position to make deals. We have 3 rucks and could easily deal 1 of Stanley or Mac (as much as I don't want to lose Ben) and maybe Ledger since he cant get a run and the stockpile of small forwards we have plus the salary cap room to lure free agents.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Would rather get Keefe from the Pies and Josh Bruce from GWS. They would work perfectly together and are good heights - 200cm & 196cm.

Both rated highly internally, but if we offer them way more than they could get from staying at their clubs then you never know.

4 years for 1.6m each or something like that would be hard for them to turn down and would really set up our defence for the next tilt.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Arent there a couple of guys at carlton that arent getting games. I cant remember their names, but would think there are some disillusioned players there.
And I would go after pears from Essendon, as he doesnt get much of a go there.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Frawley would cost too much.
Funny feeling brown is on the outer, watters rates him
No chance on keefe, they rate him.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:And I would go after pears from Essendon, as he doesnt get much of a go there.
Pears is only 191cm. We already have Simpkin etc if we're looking for guys at that height. Brown is 195cm and 101kg, massive difference.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Watters should talk to N Brown....big $ and leadership group posi....we're a chance

Nee!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would prefer that we pick up Darcy Gardiner , a 194cm fullback, who is said to be the best KPP in the draft after Boyd, and he is a fullback. Trouble is he will probasbly go in the middle of the first round. we have to work out how to get a pick around 10.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

just read up on a bit about him
certainly looks a good prospect
although one site listed him at 192 cms

but certainly has been called a 'true' fullback
if we cant pick nothing up via FA or agressive trading then he might be an option

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Collingwood don't lose players for money.
You're usually full of conspiracy theories, but I agree with this one. They have more to offer off-field than most other clubs and they're smart in using it. Brown will only leave if they don't need him any more.

rexy
SS Life Member

Can't believe anyone who watches footy hasn't seen much of Brown? Filth are on the tele virtually every weekend and he has been a regular for about 4 years! Would be a good get but I think they would want a pick around 15 and maybe able to get it! I'm not sure if he's the best option but may be safest available if he is actually available!

Maybe this year?
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Nick Rodda would be worth a rookie spot if he doesn't nominate for the ND again. He's a beautiful size and would be a Brown like prospect.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Arent there a couple of guys at carlton that arent getting games. I cant remember their names, but would think there are some disillusioned players there.
And I would go after pears from Essendon, as he doesnt get much of a go there.
yes but they are all medium sized.
duigan and laider are the ones people mention - but they are only medium sized defenders and we have a stack of them already.

we need someone 194cm minimum.

defacto
Club Player

throw dollars at him. get him to nominate for the PSD.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

In the PSD. GWS would pick him up

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:
Teflon wrote:Is Frawley any chance?
Very unlikley. Every interview he has he has said about wanting to stay a Demon. We can try to pry him loose but they will want way to much and it would probably be another Brown saga that wouldn't go anywhere and leave us no time to find anyone else. Besides since he is playing every week at a bottom 4 side already no real reason for him to leave unless we can offer him a stupid amount of money, which we shouldn't do.

IMHO if we try and look to clubs that have what we need in abundance, ie key backs not getting a run and midfielders that can win clearances, then eliminate the teams that will try to screw us prison style (Collingwood primarily) then we will be in a good position to make deals. We have 3 rucks and could easily deal 1 of Stanley or Mac (as much as I don't want to lose Ben) and maybe Ledger since he cant get a run and the stockpile of small forwards we have plus the salary cap room to lure free agents.

BANG BANG
You might be surprised about Frawley.

He would love the extra cash and don't discount the family link at all. Seriously.

That said, I don't think he is the answer, but he would be more than handy.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
defacto
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:In the PSD. GWS would pick him up
not if the price is high enough ala tippet

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

GWS have more $s in their cap than us!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:Would rather get Keefe from the Pies and Josh Bruce from GWS. They would work perfectly together and are good heights - 200cm & 196cm.

Both rated highly internally, but if we offer them way more than they could get from staying at their clubs then you never know.

4 years for 1.6m each or something like that would be hard for them to turn down and would really set up our defence for the next tilt.
im not trying to be a contrarian and i know nothing about these blokes - but they cant get games at their clubs?
bruce is 21 and cant get a game at the worst team in the comp where the average age is 21.
keefe is 23 and cant get a game.
if they are 'highly rated internally' wouldnt they get selected in the senior side from time to time?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
#1GILL wrote:Would rather get Keefe from the Pies and Josh Bruce from GWS. They would work perfectly together and are good heights - 200cm & 196cm.

im not trying to be a contrarian and i know nothing about these blokes - but they cant get games at their clubs?
bruce is 21 and cant get a game at the worst team in the comp where the average age is 21.
keefe is 23 and cant get a game.
if they are 'highly rated internally' wouldnt they get selected in the senior side from time to time?

Keefe can get a game in a potential top 4 side. Agree on Bruce. Dont see the thrill.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Keefe is 23 and cant get a game.
If you've been watching footy or reading sides/injuries, or even use Google - you would know Lachie Keeffe was out for 12 months with a knee reco. Only came back about May this year - that's why he wasn't getting a game..........
Keeffe 23, 204cm 101kg

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
If you've been watching footy or reading sides/injuries, or even use Google - you would know Lachie Keeffe was out for 12 months with a knee reco. Only came back about May this year - that's why he wasn't getting a game..........
Keeffe 23, 204cm 101kg
OK fair enough. How would we get him? No way Pies will be letting him go.

I think we should stay clear of the Brown brothers. They are no good.
Brown got 6 kicked on him by Tippet in a losing side and Jeremy Cameron kicked 7 on him.

I think we need to draft a kid tall defender with say a pick 40 and also search for a diamond in the rough with a later pick or the psd.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Keefe is 23 and cant get a game.
Keeffe 23, 204cm 101kg

Did he do his knee at Sandy? If that is the bloke I think he is, he looked a likely prospect. Playing up forward towelling up Tom Lynch who was playing down back (ironic where they both play in the seniors).

Very tall and a good grab

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

Keeffe 23, 204cm 101kg
Did he do his knee at Sandy? If that is the bloke I think he is, he looked a likely prospect. Playing up forward towelling up Tom Lynch who was playing down back (ironic where they both play in the seniors).

Very tall and a good grab
Found an article saying he did the knee in Rnd 9 2012, reckon that means AFL seniors. May have been a Qld scholarship player, apparently he had hardly touched a footy when he walked into Coll. Still learning, plenty of upside.

Yes that's the one - a likely prospect for sure. The few times I've seen him playing FB, he's looked good, strong, decent mark & I think he kicks with both feet. Tallest FB I've ever seen.

Now I've said that, suppose he will be no good Friday night.....

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Some good names thrown up.... We actually need a 23-27yo key defender.... We get killed by tall fwds every week.