Was that Big Ben's worst game ever?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Was that Big Ben's worst game ever?

The great thing is we have some depth in the ruck department. Ben is going to have to keep improving to keep his place as the number 1 ruckman. If he's not good enough in the end, and is overtaken by Hickey so be it. That is the sort of competition you want to be a great side.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

have lots of depth in small forward department too.
Quantity not always a substitute for quality.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely convinced he's been carrying an injury for most of the season. Had some very good games early on, especially against Carlton.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:have lots of depth in small forward department too.
Quantity not always a substitute for quality.
Exactly.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
PJ
SS Life Member

I wouldn't be against him being put in cotton wool for the rest of the year and giving Hickey and possibly Pierce a game. Ben looks tired and is struggling to get to contests.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Milne
Club Player

Does anyone think that Ben would be more motivated if we were more competitive this season?

St Lenny
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Im tiring of excuses for Ben.
1 good game. 5 bad. Repeat...
For his 5/6 bad - people say he is either injured, ill or 'still developing'.
Massively over-rated by Commentators who are just trying to be nice to us and look for positives for us fans.
I totally agree, over rated in my book. If he is injured fair enough, but gee he has been injured for a long time if so.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Milne wrote:Does anyone think that Ben would be more motivated if we were more competitive this season?
Conversely if he was more motivated it would have made us more competitive

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Doctor Two wrote:Interestingly thought Hickey got more confident and improved once Big Ben went off. Started taking some grabs, think he won some tap outs and even kicked a goal.
Don't know if there is enough room for both of them in the team?
Agree.

Hickey really blossomed with the responsibility.

Injured or otherwise, give Ben a rest next week.

If he isnt injured its called dropped. no resting for any player with 2 games to go.

LOL.

If only you read your comments 6 months ago and compare them to what you just wrote

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote: Agree.

If he isnt injured its called dropped. no resting for any player with 2 games to go.

LOL.

If only you read your comments 6 months ago and compare them to what you just wrote

Sorry but I dont get that all but one thing was certain. You were always going to be on hetre tonight because you wanted him to fail. A true Saints supporter would want to be wrong but not you. Now explain how what I said in anyway has a go at ben? Hilarious but also sad that a so called saints supporter loves it.

evo
Club Player

Never been a fan because of his poor number of tap outs to advantage, however his other attributes appear to have deserted him this season. He is never going to get faster or leap higher so maybe it is time to move him on. I have not seen any advantage in the two ruckmen set up either. In saying that it seems to work for Shitney.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Was a critic but thought he made a big leap forward last season. Unfortunately taken a step back this year. crossing my fingers at this stage.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

LOL.

Sorry but I dont get that all but one thing was certain. You were always going to be on hetre tonight because you wanted him to fail. A true Saints supporter would want to be wrong but not you. Now explain how what I said in anyway has a go at ben? Hilarious but also sad that a so called saints supporter loves it.[/quote]

Im here every night and have been for many years.
Do I want Ben to fail = No, but history and stats say that there has been no improvement since his 2011 season bar 1 or 2 games a year where he gives glimpse of what might be.
Please explain what 'true' saints supporter is. We don't barrack for a communist team and if that is your defence to discredit me then you are lame.
6 months ago/ before intra club match I stated that Ben might find it hard now that he has competition now for his spot, and if he does not improve that he will be dropped before the end of year. You laughed at me then. Now im laughing at what you just wrote, a total 180.
Once again attacking my loyalty. We don't barrack for a communist team that members can voice there opinions. If you don't like it, go follow one.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

LOL.

Sorry but I dont get that all but one thing was certain. You were always going to be on hetre tonight because you wanted him to fail. A true Saints supporter would want to be wrong but not you. Now explain how what I said in anyway has a go at ben? Hilarious but also sad that a so called saints supporter loves it.
Im here every night and have been for many years.
Do I want Ben to fail = No, but history and stats say that there has been no improvement since his 2011 season bar 1 or 2 games a year where he gives glimpse of what might be.
Please explain what 'true' saints supporter is. We don't barrack for a communist team and if that is your defence to discredit me then you are lame.
6 months ago/ before intra club match I stated that Ben might find it hard now that he has competition now for his spot, and if he does not improve that he will be dropped before the end of year. You laughed at me then. Now im laughing at what you just wrote, a total 180.
Once again attacking my loyalty. We don't barrack for a communist team that members can voice there opinions. If you don't like it, go follow one.[/quote]

Sorry but what i said wasnt having a go at Ben at all. maybe you need to read it again to understand it. I was talking to another poster. And its ok to have an opinion but i doubt a true supporter seems to get joy from being right if it hurts the club. Some people never want to be wrong though and love to show posts where they think they are right. Now explain how what I posted is a 180 turn around. If he isnt injured its called dropped. yep so why is that having a go at ben?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Probably Milney's worst too.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

It's fair to say he had an absolute shocker.

I think when he went up in a ruck contest for a boundary throw in and automatically assumed he'd given away a free kick when the umpire called play-on epitomised his day.
Last edited by Sainternist on Sun 18 Aug 2013 10:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Probably Milney's worst too.
Shenton should of been sub.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

2 disposals.

If we can get a good deal, do it.

I remember wondering whether we should trade Kosi 5 or 6 years ago… as he would have been worth a decent pick but just wasn't playing consistent footy. I think Carlton were interested… He hasn't played many good games since then.

If Mac was still improving this year it would be okay, but right now he has gone backwards.

If we'd snagged Grundy this year instead of Hickey, Ben would be playing at Sandy with his bags packed.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
gringo wrote:Probably Milney's worst too.
Shenton should of been sub.

Yes in hindsight would have offered much more.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

His skills are good. He's the slowest player in the AFL and he can't jump: two factors that haven't changed since the day he started and won't change. What is changing though is the game itself. Perhaps the limited interchange will reduce the current premium on speed. I hope so because Ben McEvoy just can't get into position most of the time.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I've only just watched the game, can somebody tell me when they changed the rule about shepherding in the ruck. Pike or Mumford were continually jostling with McEvoy while the other one would come in and get an easy hitout.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:I've only just watched the game, can somebody tell me when they changed the rule about shepherding in the ruck. Pike or Mumford were continually jostling with McEvoy while the other one would come in and get an easy hitout.
3rd man up. We do it too, but not as well

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:I've only just watched the game, can somebody tell me when they changed the rule about shepherding in the ruck. Pike or Mumford were continually jostling with McEvoy while the other one would come in and get an easy hitout.
3rd man up. We do it too, but not as well
I'm pretty sure there was a free paid against Stanley at a vital stage of the last Sydney game for doing the same.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"