Dustin Martin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dustin Martin

No!
If you draft a bloke and he turns out to be trouble is bad luck.
Recruiting proven idiots like Fevola, Lovett or Martin is suicide.
No joke if we get him I will give up footy forever!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

600+ ?

That surely breaks our 'rule'

defacto
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:No!
If you draft a bloke and he turns out to be trouble is bad luck.
Recruiting proven idiots like Fevola, Lovett or Martin is suicide.
No joke if we get him I will give up footy forever!
what has martin done?

SaintTom
Club Player

SainterK wrote:600+ ?

If you give him a massively front loaded contract it makes sense. We have cap room to spare at the moment, so use a chunk of it to grab a player by giving them a huge first year contract, then put them back down a few years later. We'd be stupid not to try it, and Martin fits the age bracket we're looking for.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hutchie is convinced daisy Thomas is heading to the blues on massive coin.

So can someone tell me what dustin Martin does wrong ?
More bay mugs ? Frozen water ?
Or just the demon drink ?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote: If you give him a massively front loaded contract it makes sense. We have cap room to spare at the moment, so use a chunk of it to grab a player by giving them a huge first year contract, then put them back down a few years later. We'd be stupid not to try it, and Martin fits the age bracket we're looking for.
Except to say it represents a huge risk if we're talking about a player who may go off the tracks.

Now I'm not saying that's what Martin is. I wouldn't know. But if the rumours are true I'd hate him to be picking up huge bucks early on and then only risking a modest wage in the later years.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Maybe you heard a different rule. I thought our rule could actually be dont give 28 year olds four years and 800k a year. And im certainly glad they didnt. may have won a game or two more but still be right on the salary cap limit. How stupid would that look for a side finishing 3rd bottom.

Kickit
Club Player

Is it strange that Martin has had more contested possessions in his first year than any other?
In fact he's had less each subsequent year.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Maybe you heard a different rule. I thought our rule could actually be dont give 28 year olds four years and 800k a year. And im certainly glad they didnt. may have won a game or two more but still be right on the salary cap limit. How stupid would that look for a side finishing 3rd bottom.
Clearly I did, SW seemed adamant

spot on
Club Player

He is currently ave same disposals as dal as well as kicking a goal less than milney this year. As a 22 year old

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:Is it strange that Martin has had more contested possessions in his first year than any other?
In fact he's had less each subsequent year.
Probably learning where to run and find space as he gets games into him. Good player and would gladly pay him the money.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
ljpoyz
Club Player

He would be the best possible target in our desired age group. The club is direlict in their duty if they don't at the very least look into getting him!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I find it interesting that some supporters would protect a Saints player charged with an extremely serious criminal offence but would "absolutely" not have a player from a different club, because he is a bogan and they have heard "stories".

One earlier said they would give up football alltogether if we went for Martin. Wonder why he didn't give up football wrh our current player was charged.

AFAIK Martin hasn't done anything wrong that warrants that type of police action.

Strange mentality.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
FQF
SS Life Member

In terms of front loading:

Is it allowed for a club to record a large portion of the payment in the first year of a contract, but withhold the payments so that they are evenly distributed across all the years?

Anyone know?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't care about his character.

He ain't coming though.

I know money is nice, but we have 3 wins for the year, it would have to be hefty to entice him.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:In terms of front loading:

Is it allowed for a club to record a large portion of the payment in the first year of a contract, but withhold the payments so that they are evenly distributed across all the years?

Anyone know?
I think that completely misses the point of front loading…

FQF
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:

Anyone know?
Might be so, but that doesn't answer whether that technicality is legal.

What happens if a player doesn't like the idea of receiving a very small wage in subsequent years so he requests the club to hold on to the money for him?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
dragit wrote:

Anyone know?
Might be so, but that doesn't answer whether that technicality is legal.

What happens if a player doesn't like the idea of receiving a very small wage in subsequent years so he requests the club to hold on to the money for him?
He could use a bank.
If it is written into the salary cap… it would need to come out of that years budget…

I guess the club would have financial planners available if a player was really thrown by being paid $1,000,000

dragit
Saintsational Legend

If a player nominated a $3,000,000 first year contract followed by 5 years of $1… but the club then paid that player $500,000 each year for 6 years… that would be deemed draft tampering.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Back on the topic of Dustin Martin;

Chris Pelchen told about 80 Platinum members last night that the club placed a VERY HIGH emphasis on "CHARACTER" when bringing someone into the club !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Back on the topic of Dustin Martin;

Chris Pelchen told about 80 Platinum members last night that the club placed a VERY HIGH emphasis on "CHARACTER" when bringing someone into the club !!

where were you sitting??? :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
FQF
SS Life Member

It has been said by a number of St Kilda people that the young group of players are all a very tight group, and very decent, quality people.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

where were you sitting??? :wink:
2nd Row, on the centre Aisle. I asked Shane about the FIXture !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

spert
Saintsational Legend

It's always desirable to have people of good character in any group...if possible, but getting the right person to do a job is also important. If Martin is one of the types we need to build a good midfield then he should be looked at.

Kickit
Club Player

dragit wrote:
FQF wrote:
dragit wrote:In terms of front loading:

He could use a bank.
If it is written into the salary cap… it would need to come out of that years budget…

I guess the club would have financial planners available if a player was really thrown by being paid $1,000,000
Most people who don't get an envelope of cash handed to them each week have come up with a method above and beyond the old, pay the rent , buy the groceries , a few bucks for savings and fritter the rest away method.
I'd suggest that ANY AFL player ( except Rookies ) who isn't investing or otherwise putting most of their pay away somewhere is a bloody fool. ( Case in point - Fev ).