Okay Mr Watters show us you can coach?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I for one are a strong sceptic of your coaching ability and believe you have shown us nothing to suggest you can be a successful AFL coach. You have shown you can play and develop kids but so can every TAC coach, now is the time to get the team/club primed to finish their year with a deserved WIN !

Play Kosi and bring back Lenny, Milne and Blake and get some passion and belief back into this playing group as these players have been champions of our football club.

This week against the SUNS is your chance to stand up and show us you have a future with this football club?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Okay Mr Watters show us you can coach?

fair enough..imho...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Gifting a game to Kosi tells you that this bloke can coach or not? I actually think that if Kosi doesn't deserve a game that he then should not be gifted a game just to get to 200. It's a team game not an individual one.

I think the develop of Newnes, Steven, etc this year has shown Watters can coach and will be a very good coach for us in the future. If you are looking for immediate fixes, you are going to be wide of the mark.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
defacto
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Okay Mr Watters show us you can coach?

I for one are a strong sceptic of your coaching ability and believe you have shown us nothing to suggest you can be a successful AFL coach. You have shown you can play and develop kids but so can every TAC coach, now is the time to get the team/club primed to finish their year with a deserved WIN !

Play Kosi and bring back Lenny, Milne and Blake and get some passion and belief back into this playing group as these players have been champions of our football club.

This week against the SUNS is your chance to stand up and show us you have a future with this football club?
i think people are still selling gold coast short. they have the best player in the comp and some of the best developing kids.

they easily have us accounted for

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

well said defacto,

WO seriously, i don't agree with this thread at all. Watters has been doing what he should be doing playing young kids... am i surprised we're getting thumped week in week out no.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Behind Play
Club Player

I am pretty sure Blake and Milne played last Sunday against Sydney and Lenny is injured.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Playing Kosi, Blake & Milne is not playing to win.

Sharpen your pitchforks...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I saw a glimpse that he could first half v Swans

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

If your in Sebastopol this afternoon you can listen in to Scott instruction at Marty Busch reserve after 4.30

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

have no opinion on SW as yet but i dont get what you are saying. Play Kosi. Well he may be injured. Bring back Milne, Lenny and Blake. Well 2 of those 3 played on Sunday and also bring back lenny. he like kosi will play if fit but im doubting the coach can do much if they arent fit.

Im more worried about SW ability to develop players in the 3rd or more year. Apart from jack and Armo nearly every player in the 3rd or more year has gone backwards. Some through age and some through injury but that is the main reason we have gone backwards this year. maybe its out of his hands. Who knows.

defacto
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

have no opinion on SW as yet but i dont get what you are saying. Play Kosi. Well he may be injured. Bring back Milne, Lenny and Blake. Well 2 of those 3 played on Sunday and also bring back lenny. he like kosi will play if fit but im doubting the coach can do much if they arent fit.

Im more worried about SW ability to develop players in the 3rd or more year. Apart from jack and Armo nearly every player in the 3rd or more year has gone backwards. Some through age and some through injury but that is the main reason we have gone backwards this year. maybe its out of his hands. Who knows.
curren?
geary?
stanley?
roberton?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

curren?
geary?
stanley?
roberton?

I was actually talking about saints players for the whole 3 years. we have no idea if Curren is better this year. He did win the B&F at sandy last year. I would say the only thing Stanley improved is his abilty to play a lot of games in a row. Disappointing for most part on the field. geary finished top 5 in the B&F last year i think so he will be about the same this ear in a poorer side.

defacto
Club Player

curren has improved drastically under watters, same for each one of the players i listed. so i am unsure on what your point is

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:curren has improved drastically under watters, same for each one of the players i listed. so i am unsure on what your point is

Stanley has not improved at all IMO apart from playing a lot of games in a row. No idea on Roberton as i cant even remember him playing last year and geary hasnt got better this year than last. I was talking about improvement of 3rd year and older players this year not over the 2 years. You could claim Siposs has improved if that was the case but he has gone backwards from last year. And i did say hardly any have improved not none. Lats face those who rate him will find goodness and those that dont will find evil. I hope im in the middle at the moment but leaning to evil.

kp83
Club Player

This is a strange thread. First of all, why is there a question mark at the end of the title?
Secondly, I don't think what you are asking for will prove whether he can coach or not.
My opinion on him is that at least he has the entire playing list believing in what he is doing and thus they are clearly putting in the effort (evidenced by good starts against top level teams). I would consider this the first important step in being a good coach (ie get your players doing what you want them to do).
In the end I think we are simply running out of puff against these teams due to a certain level of 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players who don't have the base fitness needed to run out high intensity games - so IMHO he's doing an ok job based on where we are as a club and I don't reckon this weekend will change my mind either way.

defacto
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:curren has improved drastically under watters, same for each one of the players i listed. so i am unsure on what your point is

Stanley has not improved at all IMO apart from playing a lot of games in a row. No idea on Roberton as i cant even remember him playing last year and geary hasnt got better this year than last. I was talking about improvement of 3rd year and older players this year not over the 2 years. You could claim Siposs has improved if that was the case but he has gone backwards from last year. And i did say hardly any have improved not none. Lats face those who rate him will find goodness and those that dont will find evil. I hope im in the middle at the moment but leaning to evil.
scott is only in his 2nd year of coaching but the fact is the younger players as a whole have improved under his tenure

siposs has been injured this year but the fact remains he has played his best football under watters

before we got watters the universal concern of all st kilda supporters was our development of younger players. he improves this and people are now criticising him because some players had a bad year this year

fair dinkum

serious question. will you ever be happy?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

scott is only in his 2nd year of coaching but the fact is the younger players as a whole have improved under his tenure

siposs has been injured this year but the fact remains he has played his best football under watters

before we got watters the universal concern of all st kilda supporters was our development of younger players. he improves this and people are now criticising him because some players had a bad year this year

fair dinkum

serious question. will you ever be happy?

Like many on here you chose to read the posts that suit you. I am the happiest guy you will ever meet. Hope you are as happy as me. I have seen posts where you have had a go at things about the club but I dont bother asking if you are happy or not. So you rate SW. That doesnt mean I have to. I have said constantly that I will wait and see about his coaching. That doesnt mean I think everyone should think like that. Its a pretty simple process. if all these players have improved under SW then there are other issues because our side no matter what the injuries was not rated a one game win better side than melbourne or a 4 game worse side than the WB.

Some coaches are any good. i hope SW isnt one of them. i certainly dont feel the way Winners Only feels but hey attack me because i happen to express disappointment with how some players are going. Now smile and dont be so angry. Its not the end of the world that I think differently than you over SW.

defacto
Club Player

sorry if i came off over negative or offensive

just over the constant criticism of a coach who inherited the worst list in the AFL and has actually addressed the issues we had in 2011

we are not going to be any better next year, in fact worse

the issue is the younger players are growing and developing. they are going to have injuries, they are going to have backwards years. our win/loss will suffer because of it, especially as the likes of lenny retire

sorry again, just so god damn frustrated with the constant criticism

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

The acid will be on him next season no doubt about that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:sorry if i came off over negative or offensive

just over the constant criticism of a coach who inherited the worst list in the AFL and has actually addressed the issues we had in 2011

we are not going to be any better next year, in fact worse

the issue is the younger players are growing and developing. they are going to have injuries, they are going to have backwards years. our win/loss will suffer because of it, especially as the likes of lenny retire

sorry again, just so god damn frustrated with the constant criticism

No worries at all. I hope he is the best coach our club has ever had.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:The acid will be on him next season no doubt about that.
Why? It's pretty obvious that we'll be worse next season than we are this year, so what would be the logic behind having a go at the coach when the inevitable happens?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If a player improves at stk between the ages of 19-22 is that the result of the coach, or is it natural development?

I think you'll find Curran would be going ok under most coaches..... Young players have ups and downs in their first 50 odd games and they really can't be measured in their highs (Siposs) or Lows (Ross) ....

From when he was injured initially a playing Sandy seconds.... Until now.... Has showed marked improvement

Some have made little progress, and reached a development plateau.... Simpkin, Dunnell

gringo
Saintsational Legend

If history has any to go by he will spend three or four years rebuilding this playing group into a competitive outfit then when they are on the cusp the board will decide he is from the loser past or a highly credentialed senior coach who has never done any hard yards will be put in over the top of him. They will get the list into finals and everyone will bag Watters out saying what a loser coach he is.

Never take over a bottomed out list. It's like forward planning and big infrastructure projects are in government. The next regime take over and take all the credit. Paul Keating is remembered as the recession man but the following regime took the credit for his super schemes and floating the dollar internationally and claimed it was there lack of any kind of reforms and dour lack of spending that made us rich? Small thinkers just want simple answers in politics and footy.

Kick him out and bring in a Malthouse type. Roos is a one trick pony that has no real currency other than one scrounged GF win but the idiots think he will be a messiah. If he takes over Brissie it will be the list he inherited that takes them any further. I would look at Chocko or Eade before Roos any day.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:If history has any to go by he will spend three or four years rebuilding this playing group into a competitive outfit then when they are on the cusp the board will decide he is from the loser past or a highly credentialed senior coach who has never done any hard yards will be put in over the top of him. They will get the list into finals and everyone will bag Watters out saying what a loser coach he is.

Never take over a bottomed out list. It's like forward planning and big infrastructure projects are in government. The next regime take over and take all the credit. Paul Keating is remembered as the recession man but the following regime took the credit for his super schemes and floating the dollar internationally and claimed it was there lack of any kind of reforms and dour lack of spending that made us rich? Small thinkers just want simple answers in politics and footy.

Kick him out and bring in a Malthouse type. Roos is a one trick pony that has no real currency other than one scrounged GF win but the idiots think he will be a messiah. If he takes over Brissie it will be the list he inherited that takes them any further. I would look at Chocko or Eade before Roos any day.

Where is the logic in Eade being better than Roos. Roos is an excellent coach with excellent record. And if Roos trick is winning low scoring GF then I would take it. Roos will not take the current side to a GF but players are smart and they know a great coach. it will be easier to recruit players with Roos there than with any other coach.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The question is - what makes a good coach?

Comments please